Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 93 posts
  • 48 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Jeux
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which Music pin should be next for Stern?”

(0 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

elvis2.gif
    There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 11 years ago

Van Halen sounds like a good one.

Pink Floyd also.

Yes on Ozzie, I think that will be the next music pin we see.

I don't see Iron Maiden having enough appeal. But I would buy one.

Beatles sounds like too TRS and not edgy enough, not current, out on this one.

#53 11 years ago

You have to think of bands that have true worldwide appeal across two generations. Led Zeppelin and the Beatles are the obvious top two. Pink Floyd is a strong contender. Van Halen would only work if the band would agree for representation from both lead singers, but it would have a chance at succeeding (count me out though).

U2 could work, for sure. They're still a big draw, and they go back to the early '80s. But honestly, it would be a licensing nightmare, but the best idea would be to go for a time period and license multiple bands and theme it as a more generic rock theme.

#54 11 years ago

Motley Crue, Ozzy, update of GNR, 80's Hair band them (Poison, Quiet Riot, Skid Row, etc).

#55 11 years ago

Any "group of groups" theme would be too expensive to license.

GnR, as much as I love them, doesn't have the longevity to be worth doing.

Led Zeppelin rarely licenses anything. They don't believe in the concept. It's difficult to even get their music used in a movie.

If they do another one it will be something awful like Nirvana. I'm sure Courtney Love could use a few more royalty checks.

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Sports themed pinballs never sell well. Why, I dunno...people love sports and you'd think these games would go great in a sports bar....but their last sports title, NBA - was their worst selling title ever. Not sure how Nascar sold (not that it's really a sport *ducks*)...but they couldn't give away those Dale Jr. LE's. No one's really fighting to get NBA Fastbreaks, Shaq Attaqs, or Big Hurt.

Shaq attack and Big hurt are 2 of the worst games ever made, theme aside. I do agree sports is a tough theme, but there really isn't an awesome game built around a good sports theme as of yet imo.

#57 11 years ago

World Cup Soccer.

I would count Blackwater 100 and No Fear too but those aren't mainstream sports.

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

World Cup Soccer.
    I would count Blackwater 100 and No Fear too but those aren't mainstream sports.

Is soccer actually a sports in the US? I kid I kid!

#59 11 years ago

Agree with Beatles, Zep and U2--all of which are probably impossible.

#60 11 years ago

Yep, no matter if you like them or not, The Beatles and Led Zeppelin would be their biggest sellers ever, because of their worldwide appeal. I would buy both of them. I personally think The Beatles would be better than any pin, precisely because Yoko and the rest of them are so particular about everything. They wouldn't allow a pin like The Rolling Stones to be made. The cost would be more, but I would pay it.

They could even load the pin with every single remastered track and give one of these away with each pin. Wouldn't cost that much for them to add it to every pin, and they would get to sell their entire catalog to each buyer.
    http://www.thebeatlesonline.co.uk/thebeatles/thebeatles/Limited-USB-Stick-Contains-Entire-Digitally-Remastered-Catalogue/0I3W0000000?back=

But considering that The Beatles and Led Zeppelin aren't usually keen on licensing their music, this probably will never happen.

#61 11 years ago
    Quoted from spfxted:

1) Beatles 2) Led Zep 3) Pink Floyd 4) Billy Joel

If you've noticed, no pinball machine has ever been made for a band that no longer exists.

Also, the artwork always depicts the band as they are at the time the machine was manufactured.

That's why Bon Scott isn't on the AC/DC backglass and why the Stern Rolling Stones shows them as they look now - not when they were more in their prime.

That's why you'll probably never see a Led Zepplin or Beatles or any other now defunct band as a pinball theme.

#62 11 years ago

Elvis died way before 2004.

#63 11 years ago

I think a Woodstock machine would be great. Imagine all the great classic rock that could be integrated.

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from jrivelli:

Is soccer actually a sports in the US? I kid I kid!

No such thing as SOCCOR its FOOTBALL
    Not the stupid American rugby

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

If you've noticed, no pinball machine has ever been made for a band that no longer exists.

Metallica ceased to exist in 1986, yet....

R.I.P Cliff.

#66 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChadTower:

Elvis died way before 2004.

That's just what he WANTS you to believe!

#67 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Metallica ceased to exist in 1986, yet....
    R.I.P Cliff.

The backglass shows them now not in 1986 just like the AC/DC does.

And as for the Elvis, he is still living but is in hiding somewhere in South America along with Jim Morrison.

My avatar is proof of that.

#68 11 years ago

And as for the Elvis, he is still living but is in hiding somewhere in South America along with Jim Morrison.

True story!

elvis2.gifelvis2.gif

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Have I mentioned Rush yet?
    RUSH
    RUSH
    RUSH!

I would be down for Rush. I'll fight you for #1 Greg.

#70 11 years ago

Id like to see a generic music pin. It can be oriented heavy, or like a Wurlitzer Juke Box.
    It would have an LCD backglass and a music jack port. How about then, we choose our internet You Tube videos and sound track, with a little software, we could pick say 10-15 songs, and rank them for feature use.
    I dont know about licensing, and they could even make it where users could print there own slings, and maybe a center plastic, so everyone is happy.
    Beatles today, Rush tomorrow...or a Jukebox mix.....
    Can this be done?

One music Pin to end all, and take the license cost and add the things needed for a super pin at pro pricing.

With this, is I always add, a "suggestion box" on Sterns website. We all want cool new features.
    I have about a dozen, I have bent Garys ear on, I am sure we have hundreds. Maybe one or two would spark some features never seen before...!!!

My favorite, and my apologies if you have heard this before, is a timed opening or shrinking of the mouth of a ramp. Narrower is harder to hit. At the same time it can change the angle of the shot...no more mastering an easy ramp shot. Even in setup, one could control the width of the opening. Wide open for easy, and narrow for a tough SOB shot.

My 3 cents!

#71 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinheadpuckguy:

Led Zeppelin if they can get the licensing down.

Just make based on Led Zepplin 2....that album is awesome from start to finish....no other songs needed

#72 11 years ago

I would dig Pink Floyd

#73 11 years ago

Iron Maiden would have as much success as Metallica or more just wait and see.

#74 11 years ago

But would Iron Maiden have as much success considering how many of the same fans just bought Metallica?

#75 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jackontherocks:

Iron Maiden would have as much success as Metallica or more just wait and see.

I highly doubt it.

#77 11 years ago

I've said it before but I'd love to see a Radiohead pin but designed in conjunction with the band to create all new music and sounds and artwork. It would be very abstract and reactive like Rez the computer game, the music and SFX would change depending on your shots and progression. Also, assuming I could get Radiohead on board, the publicity of a pinball machine being their 'new album' would be great for pinball.

It wouldn't be sad Radiohead like High and Dry it would be electronic, industrial, and funky like King of Limbs.

It wouldn't even have to be Radiohead but getting some similar musicians to do an abstract table like I described would be my perfect pin... in theory.

Well, you did ask...

#78 11 years ago

Def leppard

#79 11 years ago

I'd like to see a Ramones pin but don't think we ever will.

Unfortunately, the driving factor behind the decision always comes down to mass appeal and even though the Ramones are in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame and were honored this year to have their 1st album inducted into the U.S. Library of Congress (a pretty-big honor), they didn't sell a gazillion records and have the commercial success that many other bands had.

But man it would be cool.

Gabba Gabba Hey!

Rock 'n' Roll High School

Blitzkrieg Bop

Beat On The Brat

Teenage Labotomy

Sheena Is A Punk Rocker!

Oh yeah.

#80 11 years ago

I would love to see an Iron Maiden. +1

But as far as themed games?
    Rob/White Zombie over the Beatles.
    How would you play multi-ball to the beatles....?

I can see multi ball to "Super-beast"

Even better, "You'll take my life, but I'll take yours too! You fire your musket, But I'll run you through!" ~Iron Maiden: The Trooper

#81 11 years ago
    Quoted from Biomech011:

But as far as themed games?
    Rob/White Zombie over the Beatles.

If you let Rob Zombie do the art and music and stuff, you have a winner.

steve

#82 11 years ago

There will never be a band more popular or famous than the Beatles. John Lennon wasn't too far off the mark when he made the controversial comment that got him into some hot water with the religious right, "The Beatles are more popular than Jesus Christ" because they really were. A fanatical following that has never been matched and most-likely never will be.

Whether that would equate to a successful pinball theme is debatable but it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't be a success marketing wise. The licensing would probably be prohibitive though.

Those of you who were not born yet when the Beatles were still around will never know just how iconic they were. You could have asked anyone from any age group who the Beatles were and almost everyone knew them. You can't say that about Rob Zombie or a band like White Zombie. Nowhere even close to the popularity (or talent) of the Beatles.

But that being said, I do think a Rob Zombie pin would be awesome and his "horror" theme lends itself well to a pinball artwork. I wouldn't mind having one.

#83 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gatecrasher:

There will never be a band more popular or famous than the Beatles. John Lennon wasn't too far off the mark when he made the controversial comment that got him into some hot water with the religious right, "The Beatles are more popular than Jesus Christ" because they really were. A fanatical following that has never been matched and most-likely never will be.
    Whether that would equate to a successful pinball theme is debatable but it's hard to imagine that it wouldn't be a success marketing wise. The licensing would probably be prohibitive though.
    Those of you who were not born yet when the Beatles were still around will never know just how iconic they were. You could have asked anyone from any age group who the Beatles were and almost everyone knew them. You can't say that about Rob Zombie or a band like White Zombie. Nowhere even close to the popularity (or talent) of the Beatles.
    But that being said, I do think a Rob Zombie pin would be awesome and his "horror" theme lends itself well to a pinball artwork. I wouldn't mind having one.

The other thing is that some people seem to think that unless the music is a hard driving metal song, you can't play pinball to it. Nothing wrong with that. That is one dimension, and is fine. But there are so many other options. And The Beatles are so diverse, it's almost limitless to what you could do with that theme. They don't just play one genre of music.

#84 11 years ago

I like Rob Zombie and Alicd Cooper but Iron Maiden would sell much more or three times.

#85 11 years ago

I completely agree on beatles. They were way before my time, But I have their complete collection. They are a talented band & most popular, But game play & theme... how...?

I am just curious… does it have what it takes to make a “good” pinball.
    Look at the rolling stones pin….. Great legendary band, but I find Big buck hunter pro more fun than rolling stones, & I am not even a redneck hunter…

#86 11 years ago
    Quoted from redbirdpat:

The other thing is that some people seem to think that unless the music is a hard driving metal song, you can't play pinball to it.

Sometimes during the intro of the AC/DC pin songs, I'm chomping at the bit for them to get to the hard driving part.

You quickly become addicted to the adrenalin rush of the songs.

#88 11 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Another possibility would be KISS.

I doubt KISS will happen again. Primarily because of Gene $immon$.

#89 11 years ago

"Weird Al" Yankovic. Totally not joking, huge fan!

#90 11 years ago
    Quoted from Magic_Mike:

I doubt KISS will happen again. Primarily because of Gene $immon$.

Kiss can happen again. All Gary has to do is dangle enough $$$ in front of Gene. I can see the Limited Edition machine being limited to 500 machines but Gene insisting that there be 6 or more LE versions. The different versions will have little variations between them. Just like all of the KISS stuff Gene sells today.

#91 11 years ago

Megadeth!

#92 11 years ago

HENDRIX!!

Someone, anyone please make a HENDRIX pin.

#93 11 years ago
    Quoted from redbirdpat:

The other thing is that some people seem to think that unless the music is a hard driving metal song, you can't play pinball to it.

This is sad, but seems to be people's attitude. I always smile when that country song comes on in Road Show, and I don't even like country.

As someone else mentioned, a neutral music-themed pin would be cool. Too bad the Rock Band/Guitar Hero ship sailed a few years ago.

There are 93 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/music-nib-pins-id-buy-stern-listen-up/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.