(Topic ID: 197735)

Music licensing, why not put a CD player in a cabinet?

By Bumper

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Bumper
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I understand that music licensing makes a pinball expensive and limits Stern to which songs they can include in their machine.

For example Guardians of the Galaxy has all the soundtracks on a CD, why can't they just include a CD player into the cabinet and bundle the CD. Shock proof DVD-drives with lightening quick access are a commodity and dirt cheap nowadays and easy to control.

This will cost them zero for music licenses and gives the buyer the opportunity to change out the CD or even burn their own CD if one of the songs is unwanted.

#2 2 years ago

Many issues Would need resolved:

Couldn't use this solution in a commercial setting. The machine or location owner would then need to pay for the music licensing.

If I was the licensee I wouldn't let you use my images knowing you were going to do this and not license my music

Wouldn't be popular with machine buyers

Is the music exactly the same as the cd? I'm sure it has to be remixed or balanced or shortened to fit in the game play and sound right.

#3 2 years ago

CDs are even more obsolete than pinball machines.

And this wouldn't do anything to make the licensing issue go away. People at home already have figured out how to put unlicensed tunes in their pins.

#4 2 years ago

Even if they put in a CD player, licensing will still be expected to be paid for "public" performance, whether it be by Stern or the operator. And I can guarantee you, a private owner would be classified as an "operator" for the sake of the contracting.

#5 2 years ago

I mount 45 players to all my machines but the only album I always keep on me is pinball wizard!

#6 2 years ago

This sounds like an excuse to get a jukebox. A Rowe CD-100 can often be picked up for a few hundred bucks and they sound great.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from Black_Knight:

Many issues Would need resolved:
    Couldn't use this solution in a commercial setting. The machine or location owner would then need to pay for the music licensing.

This would fall already under their existing ASCAP/SESAC/BMI license (US) and similar licenses in other countries.

If I was the licensee I wouldn't let you use my images knowing you were going to do this and not license my music

Ah, but the movie license is completely separate from the music license, you won't use images of the artists.

Wouldn't be popular with machine buyers
    Is the music exactly the same as the cd? I'm sure it has to be remixed or balanced or shortened to fit in the game play and sound right.

Many of todays pins just play a plain soundtrack which switches depending on the mode. I don't expect Stern to remix or manipulate music in the future, that would only complicate the license.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

CDs are even more obsolete than pinball machines.

You are correct, but is that a reason not to do it?

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People at home already have figured out how to put unlicensed tunes in their pins.

Correct again, but that was not what I was trying to solve. Pins are just too expensive and it seems that the best music is missing because the license is too expensive. Which already happened with some other pins like Ghostbusters, Shrek and The Big Lebowski.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 18.95
    $ 90.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 225.00
    Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
    FlyLand Designs
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Backbox
    Arcade Upkeep
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    MicksPinball
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Lighting - Other
    Slap Save Creations
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 84.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 3.00
    Cabinet Parts
    BK Pinball
    $ 235.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 209.99
    $ 18.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside