12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by donjagra
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Squeezebox.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

With the advent of buying my 2nd pin, I want to add some music to my game room, er mini-foyer (not a huge space where I have my games; could really only fit 3 pins).

Anways, I want to do this on the cheap. I have a basic receiver and two old Polk speakers. I'll probably be hooking up a record player as I'm somewhat of a hipster and like keeping things retro. However, I also like the idea of letting my guests have access to all the wonderful music on the internet and am trying to think of a cheap way to do this. Here's some options:

1) Buy and hook up a cheap laptop with internet access. I could then stream internet radio, and use programs like Groove Shark to let my friends create playlists to rock out to.

2) Buy an internet radio receiver, something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Grace-Digital-Wireless-featuring-GDI-IRDT200/dp/B00395ZQMK/ref=sr_1_2

Here's the problem: both options seem expensive in this day and age just to get some music in a small room. I'd like to spend less than $100 on the whole operation. Any ideas?

#2 12 years ago

Do you already have an Ipod? Then all you need is either and old stereo or boombox and an adapter. You can just put a TON of music on the ipod and even create pinball playlists for guest to choose from. As long as you already have an ipod that could be used, everything else would be on the cheap. And they make adapters for anything, so no matter the set up, there is a way to hook up your mp3 player.

#3 12 years ago

I would highly recommend an audio streaming device called a Squeezebox. I have them all over my house, and they are fantastic! There are many different models, but you should be able to pick up one of the older ones fairly cheaply on eBay. I would recommend one of the V3 models that look like this:

Squeezebox.jpgSqueezebox.jpg

The Squeezebox will let you listen to your local music library, Rhapsody, Slacker, Pandora, etc ... You can also use it to stream pretty much any internet radio station including your local AM and FM stations. The coolest thing about the Squeezebox is that it can be easily controlled by some really slick apps from an iPad, iPhone, or Andriod device. When you combine it with a Rhapsody account, you basically have a jukebox that contains every song you can think of at you fingertips.

#4 12 years ago

Squeezebox looks awesome as I don't have an Ipod. Thanks!

#5 12 years ago
    Quoted from NickBuffaloPinball:

Squeezebox looks awesome as I don't have an Ipod. Thanks!

Man, you are retro. If you think about it, Mp3s have been around for over 10 years. Even they are a bit retro.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/music-for-my-quasi-game-room and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.