• Latest reply 11 months ago by PinMonk
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

562C58D0-03F3-4F9B-9F41-FEB06F18CEB2 (resized).jpeg
61xzitzYckL._AC_UY879_ (resized).jpg
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from m00nmuppet:

When I played the GF at Ayce Gogi it wasn't able to make the ramps on most clean shots. I assume it was a mechanical problem, and not just the usual JJP soggy flippers. Strangely, the Oktoberfest had a really strong upper flipper, was able to make the keg ramp over and over. That flipper used to be the worst, maybe it's just a settings adjustment...?

Might have been an unaddressed broken coil stop. Super common on Sterns, and robs a lot of power.

#52 1 year ago

Precision Flip on Dialed In + setting flipper coil power to 26 (lower) and 20 (upper) did the trick for me. All the ramps shoot super smooth, and the timing on the Sim card shot is very repeatable. FYI.

562C58D0-03F3-4F9B-9F41-FEB06F18CEB2 (resized).jpeg562C58D0-03F3-4F9B-9F41-FEB06F18CEB2 (resized).jpeg
#53 1 year ago

Just played at Enterrium Schaumburg and the game still feels very floaty and the flippers here did not feel snappy. They feel and play just like the Toy Story that is right next to it. Bummed out, I hope it is just not setup right but the Floaty feel I am not a fan of. Foo fighters is also here and plays much faster.

Other than that the game is fun to play.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Just played at Enterrium Schaumburg and the game still feels very floaty and the flippers here did not feel snappy. They feel and play just like the Toy Story that is right next to it. Bummed out, I hope it is just not setup right but the Floaty feel I am not a fan of. Foo fighters is also here and plays much faster.
Other than that the game is fun to play.

If it's floaty, the playfield pitch isn't high enough ask the location to crank the back leg levelers a couple turns. Flipper feel should be similar to Toy Story 4 - they both have the new driver board. GnR and back have the older board.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If it's floaty, the playfield pitch isn't high enough ask the location to crank the back leg levelers a couple turns. Flipper feel should be similar to Toy Story 4 - they both have the new driver board. GnR and back have the older board.

The JJP flippers are certainly better than before but still not good. Play Godfather, then right after play a new stern and you immediately can feel the difference.

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

The JJP flippers are certainly better than before but still not good. Play Godfather, then right after play a new stern and you immediately can feel the difference.

Fade/heat build aside, I think the flippers just feel different. I remember when Stern was regarded as trash when B/W was the common pin out there. Now Stern is the dominant pin brand in the market, it's the mental standard and reference point since that's the widest exposure people have on location.

I will say, however, that the place Stern has a clear advantage is heat management in flipper hold. Indisputable. They're the market leader by a mile in that department and deserve all the credit. Premium work with the sub-ms duty cycles no one has matched for YEARS.

3 weeks later
#57 11 months ago

^^interesting point ref Sterns heat management in flipper hold.
Now I wonder if JJP programmed GnR to stop you cradling the ball during songs for that very reason.

#58 11 months ago

Somehow, Williams perfected flippers decades ago. What was JJP's problem?

#59 11 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I’m guessing it had something to do with the fact JJP system is basically a slow computer and Williams had their own dedicated system. You turn on a JJP game, it takes forever to boot up. Williams boots up in a few seconds.

#60 11 months ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I’m guessing it had something to do with the fact JJP system is basically a slow computer and Williams had their own dedicated system. You turn on a JJP game, it takes forever to boot up. Williams boots up in a few seconds.

Speed of the computer is not the issue. The JJP computer is much, much faster than the Williams MPU.
I believe flipper behavior is related to electrical behavior driven by HW on the driver board and software algorithm.

#61 11 months ago
Quoted from usandthem:

Bally/Williams machines still had fade issues in olden times. The games were just much shallower, and few people had them in homes.

Like I said before, I remember when B/W was still a thing, people used to look down on STERN'S flipper feel. But now it is the dominant maker, so it's flipped around. It's about what you're used to feeling, I think.

#62 11 months ago
Quoted from Sako-TRG:

^^interesting point ref Sterns heat management in flipper hold.
Now I wonder if JJP programmed GnR to stop you cradling the ball during songs for that very reason.

May be an attempt to keep the balls moving, but JJP uses dual wound coils (Stern does not) specifically so they have a low-power hold winding to (allegedly) address heat build in hold over time. But it doesn't really work and JJP, Spooky, AP, and to a lesser extent CGC have some of the highest temps over time for their flippers. I really think Stern's sub-ms duty cycle approach is the correct answer for managing heat in hold. I have NO IDEA why Multimorphic, JJP, AP, Spooky haven't adopted it, especially since JJP and Spooky have recently released revised driver boards that COULD have had the change.

#63 11 months ago

Agree with that last post. The key to Stern's snappy flipper feel is very high power for a very short duty cycle, and as a byproduct that also leads to less heat buildup.

As for why the other manufacturers haven't addressed it - I'd guess they just have more important things to spend their limited time and effort on, than redesigning flipper parts and behavior for a niche detail that's only noticed by expert players in hourlong game sessions.

Question - what, physically speaking, actually makes heat result in less flipper strength? Does the coil's resistance increase for less power to flow through it? Shouldn't that be made up for with a longer duty cycle before the EOS engages after the same amount of physical travel? Or is there something else to it?

#64 11 months ago
Quoted from vikingerik:

Agree with that last post. The key to Stern's snappy flipper feel is very high power for a very short duty cycle, and as a byproduct that also leads to less heat buildup.
As for why the other manufacturers haven't addressed it - I'd guess they just have more important things to spend their limited time and effort on, than redesigning flipper parts and behavior for a niche detail that's only noticed by expert players in hourlong game sessions.
Question - what, physically speaking, actually makes heat result in less flipper strength? Does the coil's resistance increase for less power to flow through it? Shouldn't that be made up for with a longer duty cycle before the EOS engages after the same amount of physical travel? Or is there something else to it?

The duty cycle only really helps on the hold. The initial pulse (flip) has to be full power.

Yes, it's physics. More heat makes more resistance, which requires more power to do the same work, which makes more heat, rinse, repeat. If more power isn't available to overcome the resistance to the same level, you get less work for the same power - i.e. flipper fade.

There's an interactive demonstration of this here:

https://nationalmaglab.org/magnet-academy/watch-play/interactive-tutorials/heat-resistance/

#65 11 months ago

I am uncertain they really changed that much. I think they changed the games so that the flipper crapness is less obvious. It's not just the flippers though, its generic across the mechs.

#66 11 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I am uncertain they really changed that much. I think they changed the games so that the flipper crapness is less obvious. It's not just the flippers though, its generic across the mechs.

Yeah, it's not a HUGE change, but there is a change that's probably some software adjustment to go with a hardware change. The driver board changed a little with Toy Story 4. Definitely different. The coils still get hot, but the fade doesn't seem to feel as severe as GnR or jjPotC. I haven't temp tested Godfather yet to put a number or timeline to the heat/fade, but I expect to find temps high but moderately less than GnR.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bensenville, IL
$ 39.00
Playfield - Other
Travahontas Mods

$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Tulsa, OK
$ 395.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 64.00
$ 10,200.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Bensenville, IL
$ 28.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 38.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 16.95
$ 125.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 5.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 66 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/mushy-jjp-flippers/page/2?hl=diablorush and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.