(Topic ID: 238424)

Munsters........ my biggest pinball let down of the ???

By hoby1

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 368 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Munsters, is it a hit, flop or somewhere in between”

• Excellent game and a keeper 65 votes
    20%
  • OK... but will never be a top 10 91 votes
    28%
  • Not somthing I would want to own 173 votes
    53%

(329 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

img_120016b_xl (resized).jpg
img_120015b_xl (resized).jpg
710x528_21126873_11830734_1511426120 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190316-105031_Chrome (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
310EC4D2-0C64-408B-9893-822B9683E6CA (resized).jpeg
2807D5AA-8DB6-40DA-A36C-32AFEE438BAB.gif
19931331-49C0-4038-B996-E6268CE7DDB5.gif
Breaking-news (resized).jpg
lyman (resized).jpg
F1FF9EA4-C809-4968-A6C7-C469D7789682 (resized).png
download (resized).jpeg

There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 5 years ago

I really like GB and I own one in the Premium version. Its not for everyone but I enjoy it. There is just soooooo many toys and cool features on it so in my case its a given.

With Musters being a bit bare in innovative features, toys, and code IMO its much worst the GB.

Worst part for me is that the theme is what draws me to it.

#302 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I really like GB and I own one in the Premium version. Its not for everyone but I enjoy it. There is just soooooo many toys and cool features on it so in my case its a given.
With Musters being a bit bare in innovative features, toys, and code IMO its much worst the GB.
Worst part for me is that the theme is what draws me to it.

GB has had a bunch of updates and new features added - give Munsters some time, they will update it. How long did it take for KISS? 3 years?

#303 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

GB has had a bunch of updates and new features added - give Munsters some time, they will update it. How long did it take for KISS? 3 years?

Not according to the coder. Its fairly complete as he stated.

That and also the playfield and toys are uninspiring

#304 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Not according to the coder. Its fairly complete as he stated.
That and also the playfield and toys are uninspiring

It’s possible many are Assuming what the coder meant by complete. Is it possible he meant all of the features and inserts work unlike other releases? When he (not Pinside) says it’s Done then I think we can safely judge the final code product. Just my opinion.

#305 5 years ago

Finally got some quarter in a Munsters Pro - I personally loved the theme and enjoyed the game
I didn't really register any of the complaints I had read about the machine.

But .... there was an Iron Maiden in the line up that sucked up a lot of my quarters.
Don't really care for the music .... but this has got to be (IM) one of the best newer stern machines I played.

and on a sidebar, if you are near DC - go check out VUK pizza and pinball!

#306 5 years ago

I played a two player game on the version that has the lower playfield at banning yesterday.

I was shooting the shit with the guy I was playing with and the guy behind us.

I got down to the lower playfield twice. I had a good time and got 21 million or something.

I like variety. Munsters is nice variety.

I never watched the show much, but I think the game is fun.

More pinball, what is next stern?

There was no ball save at all. That can crush me, but I did ok.

#307 5 years ago
Quoted from Azmodeus:

I played a two player game on the version that has the lower playfield at banning yesterday.
I was shooting the shit with the guy I was playing with and the guy behind us.
I got down to the lower playfield twice. I had a good time and got 21 million or something.
I like variety. Munsters is nice variety.
I never watched the show much, but I think the game is fun. More pinball, what is next stern?
There was no ball save at all. That can crush me, but I did ok.

#308 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think people around here tend to forget how many games Sterns pumps out, 3-5 new titles a year. It's almost ridiculous how productive they are.

Not including vault editions...
2018= 2. 3 if we include Supreme.
2017= 3.
2016= 2. 3 if we include Pabst Can Crusher.
2015= 4.
2014= 2.

By comparison, in the late 60s and early 70s, Bally added a new machine to the lineup on average every 6 weeks. Hell, even in the darkest days before the doors closed, B/W was putting out more new titles per year than Stern is now.

#309 5 years ago

Man it seems that if John Borg is going to be associated with the pinball, the hate is coming. X-Men people detest. Guardians of the Galaxy people detest. Now The Munsters. I personally love GOTG and X-Men but haven’t had a chance to play Munsters yet. Is there something about John Borg that he puts in all his games that grinds peoples gears? Like I said, I feel like I’m in the minority since I like what I’ve okayed thus far, but I am curious as to why that is.

#310 5 years ago
Quoted from Orko:

Man it seems that if John Borg is going to be associated with the pinball, the hate is coming. X-Men people detest. Guardians of the Galaxy people detest. Now The Munsters. I personally love GOTG and X-Men but haven’t had a chance to play Munsters yet. Is there something about John Borg that he puts in all his games that grinds peoples gears? Like I said, I feel like I’m in the minority since I like what I’ve okayed thus far, but I am curious as to why that is.

Nothing personal. He just makes the same game over and over with the smallest changes. Really its the perfect storm. Dwights terrible coding, a vanilla playfield with shity drains and oh to familiar shots and features. Mix that up pour a theme people wanted to love on top of it. Hot mess. Its not a terrible game just the weakest of the most recent sterns in a long time

#311 5 years ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Nothing personal. He just makes the same game over and over with the smallest changes. Really its the perfect storm. Dwights terrible coding, a vanilla playfield with shity drains and oh to familiar shots and features. Mix that up pour a theme people wanted to love on top of it. Hot mess. Its not a terrible game just the weakest of the most recent sterns in a long time

I can definitely see what you’re saying and respect that. You’re right.

#312 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok not sure if your serious? First off JJP Pirates is not even in the same World as Houdini. And yes, I rated Houdini very low because I Bought one, I did not enjoy it, my family did not enjoy it, my guests did not enjoy it so I rated it on my experience as an Owner. And yes I made some mods for that game why would that matter?? Because I don't like a game means I can't support the individuals that enjoy it? Or if I make a product I must Love the game and convince you its Awesome so you will buy something? Sorry not my business style thanks.

Just having fun.

You make great mods for games. I have purchased a few and they are high quality.

#313 5 years ago

The poll option saying it won't be top 10 is a stupid qualifier. With so many good games out there to be played insinuating that it misses the mark if it isn't top 10 all-time is ridiculous. Dialed In and Addams Family are #'s 11 and 12 at the moment--they missed the mark, I guess, since fanboy OP drew the line at 10 for Munsters. Which the entire argument assumes that these arbitrary rankings matter at all beyond just seeing a bunch of opinions.

Three of his current machines missed the mark too. How does he even manage to keep them instead of trading out for an IJ?

#314 5 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

2017= 3.
2015= 4.
2014= 2.
By comparison, in the late 60s and early 70s, Bally added a new machine to the lineup on average every 6 weeks. Hell, even in the darkest days before the doors closed, B/W was putting out more new titles per year than Stern is now.

Thank you! I've mentioned this before on pinside, but people constantly continue to claim that stern is cranking out 4+ games per year. It's just not true. It's more like 2.5.

#315 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Thank you! I've mentioned this before on pinside, but people constantly continue to claim that stern is cranking out 4+ games per year. It's just not true. It's more like 2.5.

Without getting political, seems like we see all too often lately that a lie repeated often enough acquires a veneer of truth.

Seemed like four to me!

#316 5 years ago
Quoted from Maken:

Maybe just 4x as many as anyone else per year?

#317 5 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

2017= 3.
2015= 4.
2014= 2.

2018 - 5 - Beatles, Deadpool, Iron Maiden, Supreme, and Primus

#318 5 years ago

Say whatever you want about this machine, but I enjoy playing the hell out of it

#319 5 years ago

Some of my recent conversations on The Munsters have been with the knowledge or Question, if the opinion is coming from
a Competitive Player or not, it seems there is differences based on what we want in a game.
We tend to divide into 2 categories....Love/Hate, tastes Great/Less filling, Democrat/Republican and kinda leave the middle out.

Im in the middle....I Enjoy playing the Game.

#320 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Game is simple, but challenging. Stack the jackpots, get the multiplier up, cash in the jackpots. Sounds simple, but it’s challenging.
BSD is much less than that, stack three MB’s, get the 30 mil jackpots...genius, simple and challenging. Why doesn’t BSD get boring? I actually thought it did when I had a smaller collection, but now that my collection is larger, I regret selling it.
I don’t understand the hate for Munsters. It just has a different rule set that may not appeal to everyone.
I wonder if BSD Were released today how people would feel about it.

The call outs and music on BSD is a catalyst to theme. I too wish there was a wizard mode, but stacking with 30million shout outs are just perfect for me.

#321 5 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

2018 - 5 - Beatles, Deadpool, Iron Maiden, Supreme, and Primus

I forgot Beatles. Supreme and Primus don’t count IMO. Slapping shitty new art on existing games doesn’t make them new games.

#322 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

Ice is on the sauce again.

Who?

#323 5 years ago

Finally got to play a Munsters LE, unfortunately it’s on location and completely packed for Saints Patrick’s Day. Played about 10 games and had a lot of fun. Really enjoyed the layout and the lower playfield

#324 5 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

2017= 3.
2015= 4.
2014= 2.

Great work columbo, even if you somehow want to pretend that vaults and contract games don't count (hilarious when these DO count because everybody wants to say stuff like Primus is a scam).

Now tell me how many games the other folks are putting out a year.

Bottom line is Stern puts out more games on average per year than the entire rest of the industry. Let that soak in for a minute.

So stop whining about Munsters. Still about 10 other games rolling off the assembly line from stern at any given moment, with another one to be revealed right around the corner.

#325 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Now tell me how many games the other folks are putting out a year.
Bottom line is Stern puts out more games on average per year than the entire rest of the industry. Let that soak in for a minute.

Irrelevant. I’m not the one who called Stern ridiculously productive. I’m the one who objectively showed you that when compared to other companies from the past, they aren’t laudably productive.

I’d rather have a company put out one good game a year than a bunch of recycled, uninspired releases.

#326 5 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Irrelevant. I’m not the one who called Stern ridiculously productive. I’m the one who objectively showed you that when compared to other companies from the past, they aren’t laudably productive.
I’d rather have a company put out one good game a year than a bunch of recycled, uninspired releases.

Which is why if you ran stern they’d be out of business in a year.

Same goes for the lot of you cranky gits!!!

#327 5 years ago

The guy that is in your head.

#328 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Some of my recent conversations on The Munsters have been with the knowledge or Question, if the opinion is coming from
a Competitive Player or not, it seems there is differences based on what we want in a game.
We tend to divide into 2 categories....Love/Hate, tastes Great/Less filling, Democrat/Republican and kinda leave the middle out.
Im in the middle....I Enjoy playing the Game.

Agree with the fact of "if your a competitive player or not" would be a big influence on whether you like the game or not. Myself, I play in leagues just for fun. Enjoy the games from the 80's to 90's just as much as newer games. Or should I say I enjoy games with shallow code just as much as deep coded games. Also not the best player. Just got a dozen games in on a pro. It didn't WOW me at first but once I got used to the shots, thought it played pretty good. COuld se myself owning a second hand one some day.

#329 5 years ago

A few guys have purchased my target brackets that I designed for the stand-up targets in Ghostbusters to also use in Munsters which greatly reduces the well known problem of airballs achieving good results.

The difference is that these bracket now give the target a 5 degree stance leaning forward and raise the target 2mm higher on the playfield side. The result is the ball hits the target just under the target face rivet and since it leans forward it keeps the ball down resulting in greatly reducing airballs. This is how the 90's Bally / WMS target were designed and they work. Some people opt for the lexan guards above but in my opinion is just taming the airball and not trying to solve the problem.

Here is the link to upgrade your stand-up target brackets.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?type=product&q=swinksmunsters
710x528_21126873_11830734_1511426120 (resized).png710x528_21126873_11830734_1511426120 (resized).png

all my designs (reproduction parts, tools and mods) can be found here:
https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace?q=swinks&sort=newest

#330 5 years ago

Say what you will about playfield shots, but this game disappointed me most in feeling like the entire theme of the Munsters didn't really exist within the pin. So many "jackpot" callouts, give me no vibes towards the source material. Too many call-out actors that don't really sound source, as in "Marilyn" or whomever that's supposed to sound like, and modes that have again, no attachment to the series.

Compare this pin to how integrated gameplay and theme exist in TZ, GB, TAF, TH, GOT, TWD or several others, and this game just feels like a random template popped onto artwork. Which, as good as that artwork is, it's not very playful. Photo realistic renderings don't reach the tone of the theme in the manner that the Elvira games do.

More so even the than actual shots, I was most disappointed about how unMunsters this game feels beneath the visuals and random repeating clips.

#331 5 years ago

For me the biggest letdown by far is Ghostbusters, I would love to have one but still waiting for semi completed code. I think the letdown factor is 10X munsters for me

#332 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Say what you will about playfield shots, but this game disappointed me most in feeling like the entire theme of the Munsters didn't really exist within the pin. So many "jackpot" callouts, give me no vibes towards the source material. Too many call-out actors that don't really sound source, as in "Marilyn" or whomever that's supposed to sound like, and modes that have again, no attachment to the series.
Compare this pin to how integrated gameplay and theme exist in TZ, GB, TAF, TH, GOT, TWD or several others, and this game just feels like a random template popped onto artwork. Which, as good as that artwork is, it's not very playful. Photo realistic renderings don't reach the tone of the theme in the manner that the Elvira games do.
More so even the than actual shots, I was most disappointed about how unMunsters this game feels beneath the visuals and random repeating clips.

I believe the game will improve with code updates, but the voices in my opinion are just awful. There's a lot of the Paul Lynde sound-not alike, but the guy was only in 4 episodes. I think it's a fairly fun game so far and I like the music, but I agree that it doesn't feel very "Munsterish".

#333 5 years ago
Quoted from lasermel:

I believe the game will improve with code updates, but the voices in my opinion are just awful. There's a lot of the Paul Lynde sound-not alike, but the guy was only in 4 episodes. I think it's a fairly fun game so far and I like the music, but I agree that it doesn't feel very "Munsterish". The artwork is much better than the rest of it so far.

Are all of the callouts in Munsters sound a likes played over the video clips or is there actor audio from the show as well?

#334 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Are all of the callouts in Munsters sound a likes played over the video clips or is there actor audio from the show as well?

Sounds like some actors there as well as extras. It’s well done, just needs more of Munster story video in the game. Similar to Batman’s excellent use of series video. If Stern puts more of the actual show footage in, it will turn around sentiments completely.

The game plays in the loads of fun category, just feels unfinished Munster theme and code wise. What little video is there is good, but needs a ton more Munsters storyline and not just random clips. There is so much from the show that if Dwight were to watch, could really be fun in the game. Like Herman saying, “I need to give you a STERN talking to Grandpa” (actual line from season 2). So many cool lines that are applicable to the game. Do that and it becomes a killer game.

#335 5 years ago

I was wanted to make a premium my first NIB. Wife was ok with it because she loves the Munsters and the BW.
I was able to play a pro yesterday while I was in Boston. I was so excited to find the game at the barcade.
Looks woderfull. I like the lcd,callouts.
Shots were good but even after 10 games I could not get into it.
In the next row was an iron madden, don’t like the band at all. I still played it.
Now this is a cool game to shoot code seems good for the few games I played.
I hope to find an LE or premium Munsters to keep trying. I want to love it.

#336 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul1478:

I was wanted to make a premium my first NIB. Wife was ok with it because she loves the Munsters and the BW.
I was able to play a pro yesterday while I was in Boston. I was so excited to find the game at the barcade.
In the next row was an iron madden, don’t like the band at all. I still played it.

Same exact thing happened to me and I went home an ordered an Iron Maiden Premium and it was not even on my radar
Going to give Munsters 6 months for code and to try out the premium version before I buy.
Still top on my want list

#337 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

This is a great point. Tron is so great, sure the dots suck screen-rip graphics but they are great for the mood of what’s happening during the game and the quotes are very nicely done and the sound effects and music. I don’t feel like I’m playing a generic pin with a Tron overlay. I feel like the pin is an extension of the movie.

#338 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul1478:

Nothing major wrong with Munsters but I would say go with Maiden. Will last so much longer in a home collection.

#339 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

This is a great point. Tron is so great, sure the dots suck screen-rip graphics but they are great for the mood of what’s happening during the game and the quotes are very nicely done and the sound effects and music. I don’t feel like I’m playing a generic pin with a Tron overlay. I feel like the pin is an extension of the movie.

#340 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

These things are up for sale faster than a drag race. Quicker than Houdini !!!
I really wanted to love and buy this game, but with the comments made by the coder and repetitive rule set and simple gameplay.
Its a total snooze fest.

As an LE owner I really like the game.

I'm curious if You ever played an LE. Pro's with no mini pf are missing 1/2 of the game.

#341 5 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

I'm curious if You ever played an LE. Pro's with no mini pf are missing 1/2 of the game.

More like 1/5th to 1/4th.

#342 5 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

Not sure about that.. the pro is very good especially for nearly 2k less than the next model.... also the lower playfield isnt half the game .

#343 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

More like 1/5th to 1/4th.

OK...Let's give it 1/5th.

Smart shoppers are getting Premium for $1200 more than a pro.

Decent value.

I've never played a pro. What happens when You hit Grandpa shot w/out lower PF?

And I'm not trying to pump LE up to get more value for my game in a sale...Munsters LE is not leaving the house.

I sold off all of my collection of HUO Wms/Bly pins because it was too hard for Me to take care of them.

This is my TAFG replacement. Not complicated and the video tutorials help friends when they come over as they don't give a shit about code.

#344 5 years ago

Looks like an $11,500 wizard of oz is one of the biggest pinball let downs of the last few years. Raising prices, removing features and having the most unprofessional, unenthusiastic reveal. Wow! I hope $11,500 is not the new JJP LE price for future titles like willy wonka or Toy Story. I love JJP, but this is a potential problem

#345 5 years ago

The speaker lightings are for Spike1, Spike 2 and for many S.A.M.

The lightings make your pinball machine to an amazing eyecatcher.

At our shop you can see for which pinball machine you can use the speaker lightings.

You can choose between six colors: yellow, orange, red, violett, green and blue.

If anyone has a question to our product, feel free to ask and write me an email to [email protected]

The following pictures are just some example.

Now I wish you a lot of fun with our pictures.

Kind regrads
Yvonne from Freddy's Pinball Paradise

img_120015b_xl (resized).jpgimg_120015b_xl (resized).jpgimg_120016b_xl (resized).jpgimg_120016b_xl (resized).jpg
#346 5 years ago
Quoted from sepins:

And I'm not trying to pump LE up to get more value for my game in a sale...

Okaaay. I don't actually care. Just trying to dial back the "1/2 the game is missing" exaggeration. It's a fun diversion, but until the code gets fleshed out, it will remain too boring for most home collections. The Pro we had on the route I help with is gone already and plans to upgrade to a Premium cancelled. Iron Maiden was upgraded instead.

#347 5 years ago

Finally played Munsters Pro (!) myself for quite a bit on location.

It's fun, it shoots well, ramps are great, I like it way better then GotG.

The Herman Bash toy is a bit underwhelming, the movement is so minimal I'm not sure it was working right.
In addition Spot was not that exciting to shoot because there I felt no hit-feedback. (Game has no shaker of course and it was very loud, so feedback would be limited to lightshow or movement, wich there wasn't.) So it felt more like a bricked shot.
Lastly parts (!) of the LCD graphics underwhelmed me seeing it in person.

Not a game I would buy for home collection, I don't care much for the rules but the toys are a bit lacking.
But I like it for on location play and will definately sink more money in it!

#348 5 years ago

I would imagine future title willy wonka to be at like 20k. Or 25. Get ready folks.

Just my opinion. How much are lamborginis these days.

Not the same thing I know.

#349 5 years ago

Ok that might be high but I don't know. I'll be priced out I bet...

#350 5 years ago

If this game is such a bomb, the first premium that shows up around here for pro pricing, I'm in. I love this game.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Machine - For Sale
Mishawaka, IN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 79.00
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munstersbiggest-let-down-of-the-/page/7?hl=nintenbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.