(Topic ID: 238424)

Munsters........ my biggest pinball let down of the ???

By hoby1

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 368 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Munsters, is it a hit, flop or somewhere in between”

• Excellent game and a keeper 65 votes
    20%
  • OK... but will never be a top 10 91 votes
    28%
  • Not somthing I would want to own 173 votes
    53%

(329 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

img_120016b_xl (resized).jpg
img_120015b_xl (resized).jpg
710x528_21126873_11830734_1511426120 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190316-105031_Chrome (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
310EC4D2-0C64-408B-9893-822B9683E6CA (resized).jpeg
2807D5AA-8DB6-40DA-A36C-32AFEE438BAB.gif
19931331-49C0-4038-B996-E6268CE7DDB5.gif
Breaking-news (resized).jpg
lyman (resized).jpg
F1FF9EA4-C809-4968-A6C7-C469D7789682 (resized).png
download (resized).jpeg
There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.
#251 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

No Lonnie love in these parts?

Mediocrity in motion, and he's even worse than Dwight for going back and polishing things up as far as I've seen.

#252 5 years ago

One of my friends is down in Banning, an operator, who texted me earlier that Munsters LE is a lot of fun. There, back on track, briefly.

#253 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

And you GB of 3.6? Too funny!

Yeah, that's way too high.

#254 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wow, you must have rated half your collection below that - you tough grader!

LOL

#255 5 years ago

Arrrrr there was a time when most here would have been happy with this very good game, what's become of us....

Screenshot_20190316-105031_Chrome (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190316-105031_Chrome (resized).jpg
#256 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

One of my friends is down in Banning, an operator, who texted me earlier that Munsters LE is a lot of fun. There, back on track, briefly.

I think if there is any kind of merit to this post, it is that the Pro is somewhat lacking.
The mini PF certainly improves the experience.

#257 5 years ago

Munsters is a decent game. I wouldn't own one because I think I would get bored of it in a week or two. But for location or league/tournament play it is fun. Trying to stack a bunch of Super Jackpots with a 6x playfield for a 30-40million cash out is challenging and fun. People saying they've reached the "wizard mode" on their first game are nuts. Munster Madness is not a wizard mode. There really is not a wizard mode in this game. And that sucks for a lot of people. This is a location, quarter eating pin. Not really a pin for the serious collector. It is what it is. There are a lot of worse games out there.

#258 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Stupid rating. GB is 10x that pos Hobbit is

#259 5 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

I think if there is any kind of merit to this post, it is that the Pro is somewhat lacking.
The mini PF certainly improves the experience.

There you go, some merit.

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Mediocrity in motion, and he's even worse than Dwight for going back and polishing things up as far as I've seen.

He did pretty well on bringing GOTG back from the dead.

#261 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

And you GB of 3.6? Too funny!
Maybe I should start a new thread....”JJP POTC.....my biggest let down of the ????”
Wait - I wouldn’t be that big of a ????, because I am humble enough to know every pin is not for me!

I sold my GB LE less then a month after I bought it. Cant stand it ya 3.6 is low but this was based on original code.

#262 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

I sold my GB LE less then a month after I bought it. Cant stand it ya 3.6 is low but this was based on original code.

It kind of doesn’t fit with your collection Mitch!

#263 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Wow, you must have rated half your collection below that - you tough grader!
LOL

Why would I rate actual good games that are well designed below the worst game ever made in the history of the known universe?

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Why would I rate actual good games that are well designed below the worst game ever made in the history of the known universe?

LOL

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GB is better than the entire list of 25 games you have

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

He did pretty well on bringing GOTG back from the dead.

When you start underwater, even mediocre is great by comparison. The end result is just *okay* (judging by where it is, not where it started), but it's not a classic. That one isn't all his fault, though. The playfield design isn't super-awesome, either.

#267 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Ice is on the sauce again.

#268 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

There you go, some merit.

Ha, I meant to say merit to this topic.
But your post has merit as well.
As does this game.
Approachable pinball, gasp!..

#269 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Not as much as two years ago, but it would be pretty significant.

This. But still, essential all his games coded are considered superb.

#270 5 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Is Lyman that amazing, or does he just work that much harder than everyone else in Stern's coding department?
Don't get me wrong, Lyman has lots of great ideas and understands the game from a competitive standpoint better than most. But compared to Dwight it mostly seems like Lyman's code is better because he puts that much more time into it even if he isn't being paid for it. Stern finally seems to be hiring a lot more coders, and the Iron Maiden team did an excellent job for first efforts. Maybe it's as simple as an issue of resource allocation at Stern and Dwight was overloaded.
That said, someone else should hire Lyman because he is a workhorse of a coder. It's gotten to the point where his name sells a game as much as the playfield designers name (for pinheads at least, the general consumer doesn't care). Although a few games with Lyman's name attached are stinkers...

Lyman is the pinball coding man. I've recently come to the conclusion that two things make a Stern game safely buyable for me. First is a theme that I like and the second is Lyman on the code. There's a reason that 4 of the last 5 games I've bought were coded by Lyman. I loved the themes of TWD and BM66, but was disappointed in the games' playfield geometry until Lyman did his magic, and I consider these two games to be his best. Of course, him being on the game and my interest in the themes are why I bought the games to begin with. I like the themes of GoTG, GB, Star Trek, Star Wars and others, but lately no Lyman equals no purchase, in my humble opinion. I'm sure there are exceptions such as Iron Maiden, but I'm anxiously awaiting his next game, not Stern, not JJP, not Spooky, but Lyman's next game, whoever it might be assembled by.

#271 5 years ago

Munsters is a blast to play. A great game. I am really enjoying the game and mini playfield. Try one!!

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Do you really think the occasional player is dumping the highest % of coins in a game.

yes by far. its simple game play and rules are very attractive for non pinheads.
so far so good on location with several pros.
as far as earnings, same with deadpool, gotg and GB. they out earn all recent sterns (and other brands) and have been for a while.
star wars is in there to.

#273 5 years ago

Interesting side tracks.

Let's get back to what this thread is about ...

#274 5 years ago

Game is simple, but challenging. Stack the jackpots, get the multiplier up, cash in the jackpots. Sounds simple, but it’s challenging.

BSD is much less than that, stack three MB’s, get the 30 mil jackpots...genius, simple and challenging. Why doesn’t BSD get boring? I actually thought it did when I had a smaller collection, but now that my collection is larger, I regret selling it.

I don’t understand the hate for Munsters. It just has a different rule set that may not appeal to everyone.

I wonder if BSD Were released today how people would feel about it.

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

I'll go along with # 7 ...Can't adjust shaker motor in settings (minor)
only I think of it as major

Okay, I changed my mind....yes it is major that we cannot adjust it!

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Stupid rating. GB is 10x that pos Hobbit is

I agree GB is addicting and better than Hobbit. I have both. Still trying to get into Hobbit and it seems better, just need to put more than 2 games on it since new code was installed to really see its potential.

Wouldn't mind selling it, but my wife won't let me, even though she rarely, rarely plays it. GB, she already put 4 games on it before she left for work this morning!

#277 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Lol, own both and it's not even close. Hobbit is 10x the game (with 10x the code) then what GB is right now.

Stern needs to actually complete the code for GB...26 months and counting.

#278 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Game is simple, but challenging. Stack the jackpots, get the multiplier up, cash in the jackpots. Sounds simple, but it’s challenging.
BSD is much less than that, stack three MB’s, get the 30 mil jackpots...genius, simple and challenging. Why doesn’t BSD get boring? I actually thought it did when I had a smaller collection, but now that my collection is larger, I regret selling it.
I don’t understand the hate for Munsters. It just has a different rule set that may not appeal to everyone.

That must be y i love munsters... bsd has been in my collection the longest of anything and i still love it. They are similar now that u said something. However much more to munsters especially with the newest code. I like the mini madness and and then the full madness mode after level 2. Also the levels are different enough that they feel.like different modes. Then add in the zap button rules and there's more than enough to do. Plus all the lcd content and callouts really top things off.

#279 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I was not playing pinball when Bsd came out, but I saw the movie. I will have to own a Bsd someday.

It has great theme integration. But that is not why I want it. Just one of the reasons.

It is elegantly Brutal. So are some other games.

Brutality is not always a selling feature in the past or the present of pinball.

Bsd has got it. I'm going to get one. An iron man too. For that matter.

Banning, in a couple hours!

Digression completed.

#280 5 years ago

I don't mind waiting for my MBRLE.....Liking the fact there won't be any snow when it's delivered.

#281 5 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

with the MM catapult shot,

You mean the fish tails catapult shot

#282 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

That one wasn't actually a shot. It was just a catapult.

#283 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

You mean the fish tales catapult.

#284 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You mean the fish tales catapult.

Did he mean the Taxi catapult shot?

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Did he mean the Taxi catapult shot?

Fun fact, the European Williams pinball catapult patent application status from 1987 was withdrawn just today.

https://patents.google.com/patent/EP0294923A2/en

#287 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

What? No wizard mode! Plus the Code is not deep. Don't like the art. Where is the schematic? Not a keeper. Not worth $6,000.

#288 5 years ago

I need to play the Premium or LE because I wasn't really impressed by the Munsters Pro that I tried last weekend. I never by Pro games, so there is still a chance that I will like this game enough to own one some day. As it stands in the near future, I see little chance for me to free up my hard earned money on this game with BK3K just around the corner.

#289 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

If BSD came out today but with uni-target banks at LE or premium price point (pro would be without magnetic traveling ball) the yes, it would get the hate.

#290 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Fun fact, the European Williams pinball catapult patent application status from 1987 was withdrawn just today.
https://patents.google.com/patent/EP0294923A2/en

Cool, Now Stern can put it Star Trek Premium like SR wanted too.

#291 5 years ago

Pinside hated Tron at one time.

#292 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinrookie:

What? No wizard mode! Plus the Code is not deep. Don't like the art. Where is the schematic? Not a keeper. Not worth $6,000.

Schematics exist

#293 5 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

Pinside hated Tron at one time.

I still do.

See......all games have fans and haters, just how it is.....congrats to all current owners who love thier Munsters games

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

All this talk of code begs the question - if another company stole away Lyman, how much damage would that do to Stern?

Depends if they sneak in or send an armed runner team.

#295 5 years ago

I was in for this when it was announced some time ago...BUT-I never buy pins based on their hype, theme, other people's opinions, etc. So I played one in the flesh. It LOOKED good-I liked the layout and balance. I'm usually not that critical but for the prices they're asking, you'd better bet I'm going to critique this. After I hit 'Start', it immediately felt (and sounded) like a slot machine. The animations was VERY busy and hard to follow. Sort of like it was catering to the ADHD society that we have today. The callouts weren't so bad, but it was repetitive. I just couldn't feel it. However, you can tell the code was thin. I'll revisit this in a few months and see what happens then, But for now, no go.
Here is a message from Stern in case anyone is listening. Cut the shit with trying to rush games into production without completing the code. Sadly, you've set a precedent for doing this and people rightfully so bash you. You deserve it.

#296 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

If BSD came out today but with uni-target banks at LE or premium price point (pro would be without magnetic traveling ball) the yes, it would get the hate.

I don’t disagree with that. I was only referring to game play, which is what the OP initially didn’t like.

#297 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

JJP POTC is almost as good as your rating of Houdini - 2.5. Houdini must really, really suck?? LOL. And I think someone sells a ton of Mods for this game - sound familiar?

Ok not sure if your serious? First off JJP Pirates is not even in the same World as Houdini. And yes, I rated Houdini very low because I Bought one, I did not enjoy it, my family did not enjoy it, my guests did not enjoy it so I rated it on my experience as an Owner. And yes I made some mods for that game why would that matter?? Because I don't like a game means I can't support the individuals that enjoy it? Or if I make a product I must Love the game and convince you its Awesome so you will buy something? Sorry not my business style thanks.

#298 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

For good reason; TWD is now the most overrated pin on the Top 100; that game's geometry sucks!!

I’d agree if you put iron maiden instead of walking dead.. Your sorely outnumbered there with opinions. Don’t worry I get bagged every time I say iron maiden is clunky and overrated... at least Munsters has some flow and nice geometry... you can tell it’s a seasoned design by Borg.... iron maiden is amateur week all the way to the clunky orbits and crappy extra flippers that just get in the way. Let the down votes begin.

#299 5 years ago

Munsters is not even in the same league as IMDN... Im not sure where your play this IMDN but mine is smooth like butter and feels likes fairly solid.

Or should I say, as solid as any other well built Stern.

#300 5 years ago

I played Munsters pro last night. The game provided entertainment and ate a lot of my quarters. Looks to me like it performed as designed. Is it for everyone? Probably not, but there will never be a game that is. I think that sometimes people overlook the fact that pinball machines are made for locations to make $$, so there needs to be variety. An example of this is GB. I wasted a few $$ playing it last night. I didn’t like it when I played it before, and I still don’t. Is it for everyone? Obviously not, but there are plenty of people that love it. It’s easy to get wound up about which games are best and lose focus of the fun factor that we are all here for.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

10,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

9,564 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munstersbiggest-let-down-of-the-/page/6?hl=jodyg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.