(Topic ID: 238424)

Munsters........ my biggest pinball let down of the ???

By hoby1

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 368 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Munsters, is it a hit, flop or somewhere in between”

• Excellent game and a keeper 65 votes
    20%
  • OK... but will never be a top 10 91 votes
    28%
  • Not somthing I would want to own 173 votes
    53%

(329 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

img_120016b_xl (resized).jpg
img_120015b_xl (resized).jpg
710x528_21126873_11830734_1511426120 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190316-105031_Chrome (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
310EC4D2-0C64-408B-9893-822B9683E6CA (resized).jpeg
2807D5AA-8DB6-40DA-A36C-32AFEE438BAB.gif
19931331-49C0-4038-B996-E6268CE7DDB5.gif
Breaking-news (resized).jpg
lyman (resized).jpg
F1FF9EA4-C809-4968-A6C7-C469D7789682 (resized).png
download (resized).jpeg

There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Then tell him to close this thread and be stand up - right?

He has a right to his opinion and i dont think any less of him for it. I doubt that he will be on here day after day, year after year dogging this game like some people do with certain games so im not too worried about it. He just said his peace and he hasnt come nowhere close to reaching douche bag status like some people have on here. Heck i know one guy that has been crying and complaining about Ghostbusters on here for the last 4 years every single day. He is so obsessed with that game that it has made him mentally ill.

#152 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Remember this is a Dwight game

That’s why I posted it

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

That’s why I posted it

Yep.... too bad .. ugh

#154 5 years ago

I think one of the many reasons why Iron Maiden was so good is because it had multiple flippers. Yep, great code and layout too, but I'm personally tired of the 2 flipper gameplay.

Tron...X-Men...ST.......I mean, c'mon, TRON FTW>

Played Munsters a couple times, eh. Nice looking...didn't need to keep playing. Give me a gem shot or an endless looping ramp combo- ALL DAY.

#155 5 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

I think one of the many reasons why Iron Maiden was so good is because it had multiple flippers. Yep, great code and layout too, but I'm personally tired of the 2 flipper gameplay.
Played Munsters a couple times, eh. Nice looking...didn't need to keep playing. Give me a gem shot or an endless looping ramp combo- ALL DAY.

Fair point. It is fun and forgiving though.

#156 5 years ago

Yes! I love games with a third, fourth or even fifth flipper! More potential shots and usually not a fan layout. Love pins that may be a little different from the norm

#157 5 years ago

Lyman coded games are great because he gets 2+ years to work on them and takes his work home. While that's pretty admirable, it's not for everybody. I sure as hell don't like taking my work home. Stern doesn't give Dwight the time to work on the games before he's on to the next one. He mentioned in a podcast he'd love to have more time to work on them.

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

Yes! I love games with a third, fourth or even fifth flipper! More potential shots and usually not a fan layout. Love pins that may be a little different from the norm

Do you own a Gottlieb Haunted House?
(8 flippers)

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

There are no surprises here. The release stream(s) showed right away that there are no toys, no mechs that would push this pin past mediocrity, and then there were the rules.
It is a pretty pin, yes.

Spot is fun and the lower playfield with it's ramps and stuff a unique feature.

#160 5 years ago

Look, the game is simple, yes. But some of the best are (AFM, BSD, TAF). I’m not at all comparing this with those titles, but at least Stern tried something different. I don’t think it will ever be a “Must buy” pin simply because of the current rules and layout.

Besides, this is an exciting year for pinball, with 2 possibly 3 more new titles from Stern, 2 JJPs, and Deeproot. Munsters isn’t for everyone, including me, but we have a lot to look forward to.

#161 5 years ago

I think with Munsters having 2 sets of flipper buttons they have a great opportunity to have extreme rules in multi-ball. If this game doesn't have a duel multi-ball going on where you're collecting jackpots on each play field and having to trap up until all jackpots are collected in order to go for each Super Jackpot it will be a big miss in my mind.

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Yep.... Thank god they came out with a B/W premium.....Thats the thing that really turned me away from buying a Prem.
Dodged a bullet there.

Well lots of people on here love Tron and I can tell you right now that Munsters rule set is a little deeper then Tron so to each their own

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

Well lots of people on here love Tron and I can tell you right now that Munsters rule set is a little deeper then Tron so to each their own

You sold Tron D......I am sure your Munsters will be for sale in less than 6 months.

#164 5 years ago
#165 5 years ago

WOW, great friggin link. Thank you. You just made my weekend!!

#166 5 years ago

Breaking News : Not everyone likes the same things.
More at 11.

Breaking-news (resized).jpgBreaking-news (resized).jpg
#167 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Everyone has a right to their opinion but The Munsters is phucking awesome i think. The game has only been out like 1 month, give it some time people. I also cant believe how a few guys in this thread are taking a few peoples word about how bad this game sucks. I mean Goddam get off your f*cking lazy asses and go play the damn game and decide for yourselves!
You guys can bitch all you want to but i can't wait to get my Premium. Its going to be the pride and joy of my collection.

I hope so dood but I find it hard to see how it can be improved, and the signals from Stern aren't overly promising.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Nothing boring about this game....a hate thread? Really? on Pinside? "experts" giving subjective opinions? Never seen that before.
Guess I need to sell half of my games now, just to feel good about myself.....get a life..
embarrassing...sorry I ran across the thread.....

Please stop painting us with the same brush! I've played it, and played it a lot - and I don't think its very good and it bored me, but agree with Who-Dey always good to play the game first.

#168 5 years ago

Never buy a NIB game, even if its your grail. Your expectations will be stomped on if you expect the code to be fully fleshed out i.e. Beta tester. I didn't listen to others/myself and did this with RZ.

#169 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wow, there really are a lot for sale. Why is it that hoby1 starts all these super negative posts? Do you own stock in JJP?

Uuuuum no ...... if you look at my collection it’s almost all Sterns, at one time it was all Stern in a larger lineup

#170 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Not being negative just expressing my opinion and how much I was looking forward to this title
Did not live up to my expectations and now with Dwight saying the code is pretty much the way it’s going to be ..... what else am I supposed to think.
I hope all of you that bought one are happy with your purchase
If in time the game turns out to be a masterpiece like TWD or IMDN I definitely will consider

Hey cool. Did you forget where you already responded to this, and I said I was just giving you a hard time?

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hey cool. Did you forget where you already responded to this, and I said I was just giving you a hard time?

His failure to notice is my biggest letdown since ??????

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Uuuuum no ...... if you look at my collection it’s almost all Sterns, at one time it was all Stern in a larger lineup

Totally agree. As soon as I played RZ I called and cancelled my order. So glad I did. RZ is a dream theme but the game does nothing for me.

Munsters is a dream theme, played it for a while and it's not on my list anymore. All the new games are theme based and lack in wow factor. I have high hopes for Elvira but expect nothing more than the same old same old.

#173 5 years ago

I'll up vote that all day. Not sure why Stern sticks to pretty much the same layout for every pro game since ST - two flippers, two ramps, bash toy, etc. Iron Maiden doesn't really count because that was designed by Keith before Stern. Same for Beatles - previous design.

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I'll up vote that all day. Not sure why Stern sticks to pretty much the same layout for every pro game since ST - two flippers, two ramps, bash toy, etc. Iron Maiden doesn't really count because that was designed by Keith before Stern. Same for Beatles - previous design.

I imagine they keep that layout fairly consistent for cost reasons - new layouts mean complications, more QC required, may lead to shot redesigns.. does anyone know if Stern even whitewoods these games?

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Never buy a NIB game, even if its your grail. Your expectations will be stomped on if you expect the code to be fully fleshed out i.e. Beta tester. I didn't listen an did this with RZ.

Yeah but look who RZ was made by, far cry from Stern and John Borg. This game is a good game, nothing wrong with it at all. It may not be the best game that they have ever made but its a very good game. You people act like this game is just horrible and that the sky is falling. That's simply not true.

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:I'll up vote that all day. Not sure why Stern sticks to pretty much the same layout for every pro game since ST - two flippers, two ramps, bash toy, etc. Iron Maiden doesn't really count because that was designed by Keith before Stern. Same for Beatles - previous design.

Cost most likely. The only recent two flipper game that Stern went all out on is Ghostbusters premium / LE. Stern added so many features to the game that it's now been over 26 months since the last code update lol.

#177 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Cost most likely. The only recent two flipper game that Stern went all out on is Ghostbusters premium / LE. Stern added so many features to the game that it's now been over 26 months since the last code update lol.

True but Ghostbusters is still a great game. It will get its update soon. It has definitely taken way too long but they were short staffed in the coding department and they have hired more coders now and things are looking up.

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I imagine they keep that layout fairly consistent for cost reasons - new layouts mean complications, more QC required, may lead to shot redesigns.. does anyone know if Stern even whitewoods these games?

I think it's safe to assume that Stern does a few whitewood revisions. But at the same time, I feel like John Borg is cutting and pasting stuff from different CAD models to rapidly prototype the initial design and then spends the rest of his time doing something more unique (ie lower playfield in Munsters, Groot bash toy in GOTG, toy box in AS, etc..)

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

True but Ghostbusters is still a great game. It will get its update soon. It has definitely taken way too long but they were short staffed in the coding department and they have hired more coders now and things are looking up.

Yeah, agree. The wait has been ridiculously long but I think Stern will deliver as they keep mentioning the update each month, Gomez talked about it at Expo 2018, and Dwight recently described the code as a bit of mess on the Head2Head pinball podcast as well mentioned what he wants to change.

Stern has been much more transparent over the past 3 years then in the past. There was time when they said nothing about code development and left owners in the dark. They have come a long way since then.

The recent Munsters update appears to have added a unique level to Munster Madnesss which I think shows Stern is reading about customer concerns regarding the games code depth.

#180 5 years ago

Not every Stern game can knock it out of the park.

They make so many, kind of in a formulaic way, which makes sense business wise.

Seems like maybe 1 of every 3 is a bit hit, with the other 2 selling enough to keep the line busy.

Maiden was a big hit, Deadpool and Munsters have probably sold enough to keep lines busy.

And deep games can get super boring after a while, so I welcome shorter rulesets but only if they are implemented in a way that is intense and fun.

Like Iron Man.

#181 5 years ago

Probably the worst theme in a decade. Zero appeal for any modern crowd. The show was weird and stupid and maintained NO pop culture relevance. The choice by Stern is baffling.

#182 5 years ago

I doubt Gary knows the detail involved in the day to day with the programing staff. I would bet George G is responsible for such detail.

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I think it’s a Gary code mandate.
Gary says this. Dwight has to follow. You do this as a good employee. He does a solid job.
He’s not a player though, like Lyman.

#183 5 years ago

I haven't played the game yet so I can't pass judgement. But I would stay clear of any 'comedy' themed pins simply because jokes get old very quick and after the first few chuckles, hearing the same jokes over and over is like nails down a chalkboard.

Humorous games are different, but flat out comedy games are a bad idea.

Great code can save any game though, so the The Munsters will prevail.....eventually.

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I doubt Gary knows the detail involved in the day to day with the programing staff. I would bet George G is responsible for such detail.

I think it’s a George code mandate.
George says this. Dwight has to follow. You do this as a good employee. He does a solid job.
He’s not a player though, like Lyman.

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

eventually a Stern Pro comes out with one flipper and one giant monotarget and Franchi's art of Gary's ass on the translite

Still laughing about this visual in my head. Absurd and hilarious. I need a T-shirt with this design.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah but look who RZ was made by, far cry from Stern and John Borg. This game is a good game, nothing wrong with it at all. It may not be the best game that they have ever made but its a very good game. You people act like this game is just horrible and that the sky is falling. That's simply not true.

Not saying the Munsters isn't a good game at all. I'm saying Munsters, RZ, GB or whatever...don't by new if you don't want unfinished code is the point.

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Not saying the Munsters isn't a good game at all. I'm saying Munsters, RZ, GB or whatever...don't by new if you don't want unfinished code is the point.

Well I'll say it for you, munsters is not at all a good game right now and don't think it looks promising. They screwed up a good theme, not the first and won't be the last.

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from PoppyCock:

Well I'll say it for you, munsters is not at all a good game right now and don't think it looks promising. They screwed up a good theme, not the first and won't be the last.

Yep it totally sucks and i doubt they even sell 250 of them total...

#189 5 years ago

Dream theme for us. Want a prem. Need easier games. Spending more time on can crusher than anything else for a long time now. Probably trade SC towards one. I do have node paranoia though.

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, agree. The wait has been ridiculously long but I think Stern will deliver as they keep mentioning the update each month, Gomez talked about it at Expo 2018, and Dwight recently described the code as a bit of mess on the Head2Head pinball podcast as well mentioned what he wants to change.
Stern has been much more transparent over the past 3 years then in the past. There was time when they said nothing about code development and left owners in the dark. They have come a long way since then.
The recent Munsters update appears to have added a unique level to Munster Madnesss which I think shows Stern is reading about customer concerns regarding the games code depth.

No offence but no amount of code can fix GB. What we need is a Federal mandated pinball recall on that thing.

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

No offence but no amount of code can fix GB. What we need a federal mandated pinball recall on that thing.

Its currently my favorite modern Stern as it actually has an original layout as well as is loaded with unique toys / features. There's more to pinball then two standard ramps and orbits.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from UNCgump:

The show was weird

That’s pretty much how I remember the show, and I don’t have any found memories of watching it. It could be a great game in the future but I have zero interest in it.

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Then tell him to close this thread and be stand up - right?

This coming from the guy who rated jjp pirates a 2.11

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Lol

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from Mitch:

Good reality catch. Yeah, anyone rating Gotg a 9.9 and POTC a 2.1 is Definitely not a valued opinion for any game I would like lol.

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Good reality catch. Yeah, anyone rating Gotg a 9.9 and POTC a 2.1 is Definitely not a valued opinion for any game I would like lol.

Mitch definitely busted him good! Too funny

#197 5 years ago

All this talk of code begs the question - if another company stole away Lyman, how much damage would that do to Stern?

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

All this talk of code begs the question - if another company stole away Lyman, how much damage would that do to Stern?

It would then be time for them to make even more Whoa Nellie rethemes.

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The fact that Lyman does a lot of these code update jobs from home tells me that Stern doesn't really value him all that much anyway.

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Not as much as two years ago, but it would be pretty significant.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
5,450 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 79.00
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munstersbiggest-let-down-of-the-/page/4?hl=micky and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.