(Topic ID: 238424)

Munsters........ my biggest pinball let down of the ???

By hoby1

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 368 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Munsters, is it a hit, flop or somewhere in between”

• Excellent game and a keeper 64 votes
    20%
  • OK... but will never be a top 10 91 votes
    28%
  • Not somthing I would want to own 173 votes
    53%

(328 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

img_120016b_xl (resized).jpg
img_120015b_xl (resized).jpg
710x528_21126873_11830734_1511426120 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190316-105031_Chrome (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
310EC4D2-0C64-408B-9893-822B9683E6CA (resized).jpeg
2807D5AA-8DB6-40DA-A36C-32AFEE438BAB.gif
19931331-49C0-4038-B996-E6268CE7DDB5.gif
Breaking-news (resized).jpg
lyman (resized).jpg
F1FF9EA4-C809-4968-A6C7-C469D7789682 (resized).png
download (resized).jpeg

There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.
#51 5 years ago

Sounds like its earning very well on location . I only played 2 games and just seems like another cookie cutter game that looks nice

#52 5 years ago

We are all our own worst enemies! Stern no sooner releases a new game and we are immediately rushing to anticipate the next release. Like a kid on Christmas morning who throws each newly opened toy aside in his effort to quickly open the next brightly colored package.

People complain their latest Stern has lousy or unfinished code, few toys, simplistic designs, and no real depth but people lineup to fork over their money for the next big game just the same. Often before the game is even part way finished! As long as we continue to pay for mediocre crap, what incentive does a manufacturer have to produce something better? Some of these titles would be absolutely great if the manufacturer just took a little extra time making it right without rushing to release it so they can get to the next big thing. Demand more for your money and don't buy until you get it. Maybe then we will see some change.

#53 5 years ago

Munsters is a victim of Stern's own success. It's following Iron Maiden (amazing game), Deadpool (really good game), Beatles (throwback pin a la TNA, fun to shoot). Yeah Munsters is a two ramp, two orbin, spot target, scoop, bash toy game. Just like Guardians and Metallica. Both of those got really good with code updates. I'm sure Munsters will grow with code as well. I'd probably rather have a deadpool or iron maiden personally. Collectors are selling them fast because the thrill is in the chase. It's why the best earning pin on location is almost always the newest.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

No but vendor's do! and yes they do care about the occasional player.

Do you really think the occasional player is dumping the highest % of coins in a game.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I won't comment on whether the game is bad or good. What I don't understand is why Stern is going with the long "mono" stand up target instead of individual targets. There should be 8 drop targets instead it's essentially 2 giant stand up targets. I didn't like it on Star Wars and it's now popped up again. I just don't get it.

Because the Munsters is supposed to be easy and those targets are easier.

Collectors are selling because the game is too easy for them. I'm sure there are people who don't play hours of pinball every month (let alone every week) that find Munsters is the right level of difficulty for them. I think Stern made the right move by making an easier game. They needed an offering that could be enjoyed by non-players.

I also think the theme is weak and don't blame them for not wanting to put a ton of money into developing a crazy deep game that probably won't sell a ton because of the theme. I think the game depth is good for operators, yet the theme doesn't make much sense for operators. It's kind of a head scratcher.

Their next offerings will likely be back to what is now considered standard depth. It seems they are rumored to have some better themes and those will demand the resources for a more fully featured software package.

#56 5 years ago

People say theme is the most important aspect when choosing a game.

For me, it is who is coding the game.

I just don't care for Dwight coded games.

They just don't do it for me.

Munsters
GB
GOT
JY
ST
SW

Getaway is the only game I like his code.

Always worth looking at past games of any coder as might help in deciding whether to take the plunge.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I was in on an LE pre-order and cancelled. Multiple sessions of playing an LE on route so far have failed to excite me much and I think the lower playfield gameplay feel is really disappointing due to the lightweight beads used for "balls".
That said, I'm not ready to write this game off yet as it has great a theme, fantastic looks, nice shots, and potential code-wise. Time will tell.

Definitely agree about the lower playfield. It's a cool idea but the little ball makes it feel like a cheap kids toy. I don't know why they couldn't do something like ACDC with real flippers and full size ball. I don't know why there are separate buttons for the lower pf either. The cool thing is you can save a bunch of money and get the pro. It's exactly the same game without the lower playfield.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Ghostbusters was like this, people would buy GB sight unseen. I think GB is a great game but probably was sold initially on theme as much as anything.

and looks. it was the best looking stern in a very long time. Tons of shots, great appearance and great theme. Looked like stern actually put some effort towards a game for once. I'm sure the hobbit being released around that time had nothing to do with it.

#59 5 years ago

welcome to January I think this is a game not for the pinball enthusiast.

Cheers,
Neil.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from RandomTask:

Pinside = "Dwight's code on Star Wars is too deep... Dwight's code on Munsters is too shallow." Maybe just stick with Lyman

WHERE'S THE CODE?! LYMAN IS SLOW SLOW! You can code a minor Villain in a day, what's taking so long?!?!?!

Basically a grumpier group of bastards than pinball nuts would be hard to find.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Do we really think Sterns worried about the occasional player so thats why the rules are simple ........ are you kidding me !!!
The occasional player don’t buy games. WTF

Someone want to give this guy a clue?

Location earnings still matter. Operators still matter. "Occasional players" still matter.

WTF indeed.

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't know why they couldn't do something like ACDC with real flippers and full size ball. I don't know why there are separate buttons for the lower pf either. The cool thing is you can save a bunch of money and get the pro. It's exactly the same game without the lower playfield.

I'm thinking the reasoning behind the mini-flippers and mini-balls is because they wanted to put as much as possible down there, which they did, and there wasn't room for full size bats or balls. I think they made the right decision because the AC/DC lower PF is boring as hell. They used separate buttons because they have it coded to play the upper and lower playfields simultaneously.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Location earnings still matter. Operators still matter. "Occasional players" still matter.
WTF indeed.

All pinball players matter...

#64 5 years ago

On this side of the pond I'd say in the pin circles interest in The Munsters is virtually non existent currently. Nobody is talking about it. It feels forgotten about already. There was a flurry of interest when some appeared at the EAG Show London in January but since then ......<crickets>

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

All pinball players matter...

Thanks for the fresh, topical joke that certainly hasn't been beaten into the ground!

But it is true. We all matter!

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

WTF indeed.

Ditto thanks crazy

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I just remember the hate TWD received for months and months after it's release.
Munsters seems like a great layout and code should improve.
Also, not against having any easy-ish pin in my line up - where guests can some in and have some fun

For good reason; TWD is now the most overrated pin on the Top 100; that game's geometry sucks!!

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from pindude80:

I'm thinking the reasoning behind the mini-flippers and mini-balls is because they wanted to put as much as possible down there, which they did, and there wasn't room for full size bats or balls. I think they made the right decision because the AC/DC lower PF is boring as hell. They used separate buttons because they have it coded to play the upper and lower playfields simultaneously.

A jumper wire may be able to tie the two flipper buttons together and control both at the same time with one button. Only concern is that the lower flippers would be constantly active. Do the lower flippers disable if you are not down there like Black Hole?

#69 5 years ago

some day people will figure it out.....until then, keep on buying those bare minimum coded games !

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

TWD is now the most overrated pin on the Top 100; that game's geometry sucks!!

I disagree.

#71 5 years ago

Stern is so cheap! They'll do anything to cut corners.

Also adding an extra set of flipper buttons?!?!?! Outrageous!!! Those free-spending bastards!

#72 5 years ago

I think it's pretty good. The theme doesn't do anything for me, but it looks good and shoots nicely. The game kinda remind me of Getaway, fun, you'll see it all pretty quickly and if you like it you can keep going and do it again. Not every game needs to be an impossible epic.

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

For good reason; TWD is now the most overrated pin on the Top 100; that game's geometry sucks!!

There's definitely some difficult shots in the game - for me it's very challenging and makes me keep coming back.
I love TWD - I think I am one of the few that loved it from the start.

But, when I have guests over - they never ask and don't care about rules (if they are even aware there are rules) that's why I am thinking Munsters might be a great game in a collection

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I disagree.

Yeah, well I trusted all you guys, and bought a loaded TWD premium and hated it....Sold it within a couple of weeks.

Opinions differ; but you can't always rely on code to bail a game out; some games just aren't fun to shoot from the start and no amount of code updates can change that. Just sayin'; not trying to crap all over a game, but the swing back to the positive on TWD across the board on Pinside is a major head scratcher for me.

#75 5 years ago

I really like the game. Therefore, when “the bottom falls out” as many are predicting, I’d like to make standing offer right here and now for a pro: $3800, premium: $4400, or LE: $5K (like Avengers or X-Men pricing)

#76 5 years ago

Deadpool was viewed very poorly when it was first released, shallow code, clunky shots, now it seems to be the flavor of the month. Munsters just needs some time.

For those who say it's too easy, what kind of scores are you putting up? I think my high on the prior code was maybe around 200, stock settings, no ball save.

#77 5 years ago

Everyone has a right to their opinion but The Munsters is phucking awesome i think. The game has only been out like 1 month, give it some time people. I also cant believe how a few guys in this thread are taking a few peoples word about how bad this game sucks. I mean Goddam get off your f*cking lazy asses and go play the damn game and decide for yourselves!

You guys can bitch all you want to but i can't wait to get my Premium. Its going to be the pride and joy of my collection.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Yeah, well I trusted all you guys, and bought a loaded TWD premium and hated it....Sold it within a couple of weeks.

LMAO I really can't believe people make buying and selling decisions based on the opinions here. But obviously they do based on the fact that "what should I buy" posts are outnumbered only by carguments.

And TWD is one of stern's best.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think the layout is ok, but I own IM, Met pro which are in the same ballpark.

People keep comparing this layout to other Borg games, but to me the real doppelganger is AC/DC. All five major shots feel like they're in the exact same place. Long standups in place of the left & right target banks. Only substantive differences are a scoop in place of the TNT drops, and the Dragula catcher's mitt. I'm guessing the lower playfield kinda forces this layout to a certain extent.

I'll give the playfield edge to Munsters due to much cooler ramp design and the lack of an annoying cannon to block the right outlane and brick song jackpots. Code edge goes to AC/DC of course.

#80 5 years ago

I really have no idea on this being a let down. I haven't played the game but if it's simpler that would be fine by me. I have plenty of pins that I will never come close to beating.

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Everyone has a right to their opinion but The Munsters is phucking awesome i think. The game has only been out like 1 month, give it some time people. I also cant believe how a few guys in this thread are taking a few peoples word about how bad this game sucks. I mean Goddam get off your f*cking lazy asses and go play the damn game and decide for yourselves!
You guys can bitch all you want to but i can't wait to get my Premium. Its going to be the pride and joy of my collection.

Doesn't have the game yet but calls it "phucking" awesome and that it'll be the pride and joy of his collection.

Stern loves you as a consumer.

And for the record, I don't think the game sucks. I think it's just boring AF. But that's 95% the theme not resonating with me. It could be the same basic layout, code, with another good art package of a theme I'm more into and I'd probably love it too. But it's the Munsters and there are dozens of other games at the same (or lower) price point that I find much more appealing.

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Guess I'm in the minority on this thread, I like the game a lot and feel it's a nice change from other games, which are all mode based. Stacking the jackpots and getting the multiplier up is a nice challenge and something different.

Guess I am in the minority also.

I've owned 60 pins over the years. Most HUO B/W and Sterns. This game is a lot of fun.

This code thing and Lyman not doing it is out of control. Wait till 1.0 on code to decide.

I think the real hate comes from having a pro and not having the mini PF.

My wife even plays the game and She never plays my pins!

The real problem is the cost for an LE is out of control. On the good side they did include things on the LE that had value like the backglass and invisiglass.

And if You paid $9300 delivered and jumped in the beginning that was Your 1st mistake! Even Iron Maiden LE isn't selling for stupid $$$ on the resale market.

#83 5 years ago

Put me in on that so called "minority" love it...haters can hate..won't change my mind...good try though

#84 5 years ago

Simple code is not the reason. Some of the best games have simple code like AFM.

It's booooooooooring. That's the reason.

Let's not confuse the two.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Doesn't have the game yet but calls it "phucking" awesome and that it'll be the pride and joy of his collection.

Ive played the game plenty enough to know that i like it and want one. NOBODY has a Premium yet because they haven't made any yet. ...duh!

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ive played the game plenty enough to know that i like it and want one. NOBODY has a Premium yet because they haven't made any yet. ...duh!

That's cool man. You do you.

#87 5 years ago

I'm not going to weight in on the layout and toys cause it's been covered but damn, that LCD animation and integration was Stern's best effort so far. I mean it's leagues ahead of AS and GOTG.

#88 5 years ago

Nothing boring about this game....a hate thread? Really? on Pinside? "experts" giving subjective opinions? Never seen that before.

Guess I need to sell half of my games now, just to feel good about myself.....get a life..

embarrassing...sorry I ran across the thread.....

#89 5 years ago

So many games we are getting very very picky ...

this week i played Munsters and Deadpool that were side by side at Starburst Montreal and kept going
back to Deadpool , my god this game got so much better with software 0.99
Game shoots different from any other game out there , the shots in this game is refreshing and the battle modes along with Lcd is Pure pleasure and adrenaline to do good cause you can cash in a great Bonus at the end , the faster you defeat him the bigger the Bonus ... so much going on with all the stacking on 0.99 .

Maybe Munsters will get better with more coding ? maybe he should add some side mini modes ?

#90 5 years ago

Iron Maiden was getting dumped heavy, and still is, btw....every pin gets bashed on here...every single one...buy what you like, sell the rest. But implying the new norm "if you own it your a dumbass because my opinion is better than yours" can really grate......

#91 5 years ago

Some people move games quicker than I buy milk on this forum, and are anointed because of it? Done w the rant, and this thread...will be enjoying my MunstersLE alot tonight.....

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Iron Maiden was getting dumped heavy, and still is, btw....every pin gets bashed on here...every single one...buy what you like, sell the rest. But implying the new norm "if you own it your a dumbass because my opinion is better than yours" can really grate......

I agree except for The Beatles. Let’s face it. That really was just a con job.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from usandthem:

I agree except for The Beatles. Let’s face it. That really was just a con job.

I really enjoy the Beatles ... i enjoy all pinball ..some more than others tho. We sld just be happy new pins are being made and we have lots of choices now. Just have fun in the hobby and buy what you enjoy most... no need for all the hate and disappointment... just have fun and enjoy life... its to short not to.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Simple code is not the reason.

It’s not? Then why are the loudest complaints about code, as usual?

Bitching about code is a reflex action around here.

#95 5 years ago

I enjoyed the Munsters pro I played. I haven't put more than a few games on it, but I look forward to going back and playing it.

#96 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

F1FF9EA4-C809-4968-A6C7-C469D7789682 (resized).pngF1FF9EA4-C809-4968-A6C7-C469D7789682 (resized).png a few le's are out!

#97 5 years ago

I enjoyed playing a Pro on route, and enjoyed it enough to play it again, and would like to play a premium next. I still like Deadpool more, though neither Munsters or Deadpool have made me wanna drop the cash to buy one. Maybe JJP WONKA will

#98 5 years ago

But, when I have guests over - they never ask and don't care about rules (if they are even aware there are rules) that's why I am thinking Munsters might be a great game in a collection

Exactly.... When we have quest over to our game room, Monopoly of all games seem to get the most plays and I think its because its a simple to figure out game without any kind of a deep code. If i start talking about code in front of most guest, they don't have a clue of what Im talking about. I'm excited about getting my Munsters because I think it will give my collection some variety . Every game doesn't need to have a deep code to be fun IMO. I personally don't care for deep codes because I simply don't have the time to play the game enough to learn a deep code.

#99 5 years ago

I just remember the hate TWD received for months and months after it's release.
Munsters seems like a great layout and code should improve.
Also, not against having any easy-ish pin in my line up - where guests can some in and have some fun

This pin is awesome!

Same BS as early day TWD

#100 5 years ago

I think you meant to say ghostbusters

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munstersbiggest-let-down-of-the-/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.