(Topic ID: 238424)

Munsters........ my biggest pinball let down of the ???

By hoby1

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 368 posts
  • 144 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bigd1979
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Munsters, is it a hit, flop or somewhere in between”

• Excellent game and a keeper 64 votes
    20%
  • OK... but will never be a top 10 91 votes
    28%
  • Not somthing I would want to own 173 votes
    53%

(328 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

img_120016b_xl (resized).jpg
img_120015b_xl (resized).jpg
710x528_21126873_11830734_1511426120 (resized).png
Screenshot_20190316-105031_Chrome (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
310EC4D2-0C64-408B-9893-822B9683E6CA (resized).jpeg
2807D5AA-8DB6-40DA-A36C-32AFEE438BAB.gif
19931331-49C0-4038-B996-E6268CE7DDB5.gif
Breaking-news (resized).jpg
lyman (resized).jpg
F1FF9EA4-C809-4968-A6C7-C469D7789682 (resized).png
download (resized).jpeg

There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.
#1 5 years ago

These things are up for sale faster than a drag race. Quicker than Houdini !!!

I really wanted to love and buy this game, but with the comments made by the coder and repetitive rule set and simple gameplay.

Its a total snooze fest.

#2 5 years ago

Yep this was going to be my next game, But played it first and yes would have to agree a snooze fest. Great looking machine though.

#3 5 years ago

As collectors I think allot of us have reached a point where we have had/played/sold countless pins. That said, it would take an absolutely knock your socks off game play and title to keep our interest. Releasing games with early code is a recipe for disappointment. I though Munsters pro was good(did not play premium or LE) but I did not wow me in any way, shape or form.

#4 5 years ago

It’s shocking how many are popping up for sale.

Even Deadpool (which many claim is a clunkfest but at least has more complex and theme appropriate rules) hasn’t had this many FS.

It’s a case of theme potential and people wanting the new shiny thing, and then being let down that it’s a cookie cutter layout that’s basically a dumbed down MB with the MM catapult shot, and the same depth of code. And now many are second guessing their purchases.

#5 5 years ago

Yep.... Thank god they came out with a B/W premium.....Thats the thing that really turned me away from buying a Prem.

Dodged a bullet there.

#6 5 years ago

There are no surprises here. The release stream(s) showed right away that there are no toys, no mechs that would push this pin past mediocrity, and then there were the rules.

It is a pretty pin, yes.

#7 5 years ago

Cue in bigd1979 reminding us this happens to all new games. Haha ; )

munsters being posted for sale like it's recalled beef!

Snoozefest to me since reveal.

#8 5 years ago

played a friends le a few times.
Munster madness on 2nd ball last Thursday!
Little disappointed in it being that easy to get to, yes its early code but still!

#9 5 years ago

It's amazingly bad right now. Code could really turn it around, but...

#10 5 years ago

I just remember the hate TWD received for months and months after it's release.

Munsters seems like a great layout and code should improve.
Also, not against having any easy-ish pin in my line up - where guests can some in and have some fun

#11 5 years ago

I don't get the "it's beautiful" argument. I think the art package is awful. All the characters look wooden. And the different packages for the pro, pre, and le just re-use the same images, just resized and repositioned. I think putting all eggs in Franchi's basket is a mistake for Stern. Monster bash and ACNC art is way better than Munsters...and gameplay as well.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I remember Lyman going on Facebook and expressing disappointment at how TWD was received early on and how people weren't able to see its potential. He also promised that he was going to make significant changes and the game would eventually be awesome. He delivered.

Although Munsters isn't done yet, I don't think anyone should compare it to anything Lyman has done.

#13 5 years ago

I agree I was so pumped when I heard the rumors of this game coming out but every time I play Munster it just feels like a disappointment. The rules are so repetitive and get boring after a handful of games especially if you are a good player.

#14 5 years ago

THis game has been hyped so much. “Best layout that Borg has done since Metallica”. What a snooze fest of a game. The artwork is great, the shots are boring, I have shot them all before. The code could allways be fixed, the layout can’t.

#15 5 years ago

I think a lot of people, myself included, were expecting Munsters to be a mode based pin that used a lot of the show's storylines and graphic assets to immerse us in a Munsters universe of retro-goodness under the playfield glass. Instead, we got a relatively generic store the Jackpots for big pay-offs ruleset that could have been applied to any other theme-X pinball machine. I see this as a waste of the Munsters license, but hey... some buyers love it, or at least appear to be trying to convince everyone that they love it, and I guess for those buyers, that's all that matters.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

There are no surprises here. The release stream(s) showed right away that there are no toys, no mechs that would push this pin past mediocrity, and then there were the rules.
It is a pretty pin, yes.

I don't think it's the most exciting pin in the world either. However, I would regard Herman and Spot as toys/mechs.

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Yep.... Thank god they came out with a B/W premium.....Thats the thing that really turned me away from buying a Prem.
Dodged a bullet there.

Actually, that's why you see so many Pros for sale. People are upgrading quickly. Quite common now. You answered your own question.

#18 5 years ago

I sold mine after 2 weeks...something that’s never happened in my 15 years collecting. Great theme/art, boring game and theme integration. Some of the clips are cool/funny, but they just don’t integrate well with the gameplay. To make matters worse, my CPU board died after 30 games. This too, was a first (actually never had a CPU die and I’ve owned many pins).

It’s highly unlikely that any “code update” is going to save the game.

#19 5 years ago

My favorite expression in the for sale ads "Great game, it's just not for me".

#20 5 years ago

This game is salvageable with code. It’s literally the simplest most incomplete code I’ve ever seen. Needs modes and more lighting effects.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

"My loss is your gain."

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

It’s literally the simplest most incomplete code I’ve ever seen.

From what a lot of people say, only one of those is true. It’s super simple but apparently very complete, just as a simple package.

Compare that to something like GB which is more complex but is clearly missing modes, has cheats/bugs, and never tells you basic things like your freggin score. That’s an “incomplete” game. Munsters sounds complete... and a snooze fest.

#23 5 years ago

I am really saddened to read all these comments. I really wanted a Munsters too. Glad I went with Star Wars Pro. Well, maybe I can grab one at a huge discount and hope for a code update.

#24 5 years ago

People are realizing the code sucks, and don't feel like waiting 26+ months for another Stern/Dwight lie like others are going through on Ghostbusters. Don't blame them for trying to get off this one ASAP before the bottom falls out.

#25 5 years ago

Played Metallica the other day and was reminded how utterly lame the Herman bash toy is. In Metallica, “Sparky” comes to life...amazing sounds and dot integration. In Munsters, Herman “clangs” which a lot of folks thought was a broken mech. Nope...it’s designed to sound weird/cheap

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from stevevt:

Although Munsters isn't done yet, I don't think anyone should compare it to anything Lyman has done.

This is what gets me about people saying code is still early, it's not done, there will be updates, polish, etc. History tells us from Dwight games Munsters will not turn into something awesome as Lyman's game have and why I didn't buy Munsters and am not holding my breath on it.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Or "Great game, but had a big expense come up and need to sell".

Ok, if that's the case, why don't you sell one of your other pins that you've had alot longer?

#28 5 years ago

As long as so many folks buy sight unseen and flippers unflipped, Stern doesn't have much incentive to do better.

#29 5 years ago

Stern seemed rather upfront with the games rule design for Munsters. It seems like the ruleset was purposely designed to be scaled back in terms of depth and complexity. In a way the ruleset of Munsters appears to be trying to replicate the rule design of Monster Bash which considering the timing of both games isn't a surprise.

People that want a simpler game that focuses on points and jackpots will love the game, those that want a Star Wars, Hobbit, LOTR type experience will be disappointed.

Munsters does look cool. I prefer deeper games but would take a Munsters Pro over a Star Wars pro simply because there's more features / toys in Munsters pro. The metal ramps across all models is also nice.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Munsters seems like a great layout and code should improve.
Also, not against having any easy-ish pin in my line up - where guests can some in and have some fun

TWD had the Dark Horse known as Lyman Sheats in its corner. Munsters does not.

Maybe this community will FINALLY slow its roll and stop buying games sight unseen, actually play the game first and make an informed decision.

Yeah, I needed a good laugh too there.

download (resized).jpegdownload (resized).jpeg
#31 5 years ago
Quoted from westofrome:

As long as so many folks buy sight unseen and flippers unflipped, Stern doesn't have much incentive to do better.

That makes almost no sense. This is the first "shallow" pro they've made in ages.

This was supposed to be a simpler game after the deluge of button mashing nonsense and complexity of some recent titles, and that's what it is. Doesn't mean every game from here on out will be like that and Stern won't "do better."

FWIW my GF likes it. She likes the Munsters, Spot coming up from the stairs, bashing Herman, the clips and likes that it's "easy." It's the first time she's ever gotten a wizard mode LOL. So great, she can go for that while I'm working my way through the Batman 66 next to it or going for team ups in Dead Pool.

So it's not for everybody but it's the game they set out to make. If you don't like it, wait for the next one. There's ALWAYS a next one.

I think people around here tend to forget how many games Sterns pumps out, 3-5 new titles a year. It's almost ridiculous how productive they are. If Beatles or Munsters ain't for you, maybe the one coming out in a few weeks will be.

#32 5 years ago

Good time to buy one used, I got my Metallica and TWD both when Pinside hated them.

#33 5 years ago

I played the pro was fairly underwhelming. I know the rules are not doing it any favors. I think the layout is ok, but I own IM, Met pro which are in the same ballpark.

I’m totally surprised Borg has not done another quasi Tron layout, he did XM but that’s also so long ago.

Not saying that games with similar layouts can not be fun as Met pro and IM or ST and SM. But sometimes you can go to the well once too often.

I think people were buying it because they like the retro nostalgia vibe like BM66 but myself I’ve not really bought anything on theme alone.

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from Boondocker:

Good time to buy one used, I got my Metallica and TWD both when Pinside hated them.

Quoted from stevevt:

#35 5 years ago

Guess I'm in the minority on this thread, I like the game a lot and feel it's a nice change from other games, which are all mode based. Stacking the jackpots and getting the multiplier up is a nice challenge and something different.

#36 5 years ago

I’m not saying basic rules are bad. I mean you can’t get much more basic than TNA which I think is great. But I know a lot of people were turned off and sold TNA quick as anything because the rules were just 1-2-3 repeat.

I think you can have a basic rule but that some people would rather have more depth. Not saying everything should be like Woz or LotR but somewhere more than just collecting all the main shots/characters.

I may not be understanding the rules of Munsters fully but when I played it, it seemed kind of boring.

#37 5 years ago

Pinside = "Dwight's code on Star Wars is too deep... Dwight's code on Munsters is too shallow." Maybe just stick with Lyman

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I think people were buying it because they like the retro nostalgia vibe like BM66 but myself I’ve not really bought anything on theme alone.

I think that's a big part of this -- it was a game selling theme, and it did sell a lot. I think anytime you sell a lot of games initially based on theme there's going to be more people buying the game and then selling it quickly once they play it. Doesn't mean the game is any worse than any other though, necessarily.

#39 5 years ago

I won't comment on whether the game is bad or good. What I don't understand is why Stern is going with the long "mono" stand up target instead of individual targets. There should be 8 drop targets instead it's essentially 2 giant stand up targets. I didn't like it on Star Wars and it's now popped up again. I just don't get it.

#40 5 years ago

It's booring as hell !!

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from Crile1:

ACNC art is way better than Munsters...and gameplay as well.

Nope. Art on both look great but
Borg has been designing games since the 80’s.
The game is typical butter smooth and can get better.

Experience matters.

#42 5 years ago

Man, not every game is going to be a masterpiece of greatness of all time. I finally got to play one yesterday. It was a LE and gorgeous. How many times have people complained about art on Stern games in the past? Stern nailed it on looks. Best looking Stern imo. Sound was great and saw little to complain about in the display. I get the criticism of gameplay but cmon. I had a lot of fun playing it and rather play it than a lot of other modern pins. People also complained of lack of code in past releases and Munsters seems pretty solid in that regard to me. No pin is perfect but Stern got a lot right with this one.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Guess I'm in the minority on this thread, I like the game a lot and feel it's a nice change from other games, which are all mode based. Stacking the jackpots and getting the multiplier up is a nice challenge and something different.

Its great for quick games... most of my game times are 2 -3 min. It can be brutal which i love but when your nailing the ramps and orbits it super fast and flows like butter. I like the way the rules are coming together and the new code added more depth with the addition on a mini munster madness on level 1 and the full version after getting through level 2 modes. The layout isn't anything special but it plays well and its a typical fan layout like afm mb, mm ,met and many other top pins. It also has some excellent lighting effects and great sounds/video and music. There's much more to it than most of the popular 90s pins and its a dam.fun pin once you understand the rules and objectives. Will it be for everyone ... no , but its a fun pin with fun theme .

#44 5 years ago

Too BAD. I loved the show.

The should have all future games coded only by Dwight!

#45 5 years ago

Do we really think Sterns worried about the occasional player so thats why the rules are simple ........ are you kidding me !!!

The occasional player don’t buy games. WTF

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

I think that's a big part of this -- it was a game selling theme, and it did sell a lot. I think anytime you sell a lot of games initially based on theme there's going to be more people buying the game and then selling it quickly once they play it. Doesn't mean the game is any worse than any other though, necessarily.

Ghostbusters was like this, people would buy GB sight unseen. I think GB is a great game but probably was sold initially on theme as much as anything.

#47 5 years ago

Haters going to hate! Munsters is a very fun game. Play it for yourself and decide.

#48 5 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Do we really think Sterns worried about the occasional player so thats why the rules are simple ........ are you kidding me !!!
The occasional player don’t buy games. WTF

No but vendor's do! and yes they do care about the occasional player.

#49 5 years ago

No substitute for something "New" in a toy on a playfield, or enough code, with some innovation, to make a pin live up to its potential.
So much engineering went into New Toys in a game, in the past, its hard to believe today, with CAD,3D printing of Complex gears in place, etc, Something that says, "New and Different" isnt made.....

We always see brilliant ideas come up in threads and conversations, I wish they would hear them.

Love Dwight, but no excuse to address code issues in the way Stern allocates time and funds.

#50 5 years ago

I was in on an LE pre-order and cancelled. Multiple sessions of playing an LE on route so far have failed to excite me much and I think the lower playfield gameplay feel is really disappointing due to the lightweight beads used for "balls".

That said, I'm not ready to write this game off yet as it has a great theme, fantastic looks, nice shots, and potential code-wise. Time will tell.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 52.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
5,499 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
There are 368 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munstersbiggest-let-down-of-the- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.