Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jfh
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

OK I’m intentionally countering a fairly recent derogatory thread deriding the Munsters code as the worst ever.

I’ve now owned my Munsters Premium for almost a month and have approximately 300 plays on it. Plays are primarily mine, but at least 100 are from neighborhood friends of mine (some pinball fans, some indifferent to it). I own 8 machines from a couple EMs to deeper ruleset games like LOTR and TZ.

Simply put....this pinball enthusiast feels that his Munsters Premium is an all around masterpiece!

It is the most stunningly beautiful game in my small collection

The “Ventures style” music is an absolute PERFECT fit and gets me in the rhythm of the game.

When you get this game wound up and rolling I truly feel like Grandpa starting up one of his crazy inventions. I fully expect sparks to fly out of this machine with the sound and lightshow going on!

No other pinball machine has forced me to use my chin in gameplay...that’s right, my friggen chin! During Munster madness my hands are tied up on both sets of flipper buttons and when the zap button is flashing I literally stoop down to “Chin” the zap button. Again...I’m a “Mad scientist” in his laboratory when I’m playing this game.

The flow of this game is lightning fast and you better be ready. Shots are like butter and Borg has earned a new fan! Man it gets my blood pumping.

Mini-playfield is a blast, and in my opinion, the best mini-playfield in all of pinball. It’s almost a complete machine in itself. Mini-drop targets would be all I’d add to take it over the the top.

Zap jackpots are a wonderfully fun feature that engages you at another level beyond the four flipper buttons. Again, puts me in the mind of a mad scientist with more buttons to bash as I crank “the machine” up!

Pressing your luck by cancelling super jackpots is incredible fun when playing with friends. Everybody collectively cringes as you mash the zap button hoping for greater glory down the road. It seldom comes, but when it does it is an absolute triumph!

Now let’s talk code...simple to understand, more importantly simple to explain to friends you want to play a game or three with. “OK that sounds pretty straightforward” they’ll say and then try and put it all together in a single game that lasts on average 4-5minutes. Ugh...”Ok let’s go again!”

So yeah...the code on Munsters is the “Best Code Ever”...for this machine!

Pinball is supposed to be fun...and this game is incredibly fun. If you’re an ace pinball player with flawless ball control that thrives on chasing mode after mode on an endless quest to Valinor then maybe this ain’t your cup o tea. No prob...plenty of deep code set games out there for you.

If you want to play with me and some friends head to head and raz each other for a missed “easy” shot or quick drain and then on the next ball high five over a massive super jackpot score that you risked everything and pressed your luck to get to then look no further than Munsters!

Thank you John Borg, Dwight Sullivan, Jerry Thompson, Chris Franchi and the whole Stern team for designing a machine that’s just flat out fun to play!

This game is officially “Bolted to my game room floor”!

#2 4 years ago

As long as you like it, that’s all that matters. Don’t get too wound up about popular opinion. Buy and play what makes YOU happy.

#3 4 years ago

The most efficient way to play this game is to time out every mode. Completely indefensible.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

As long as you like it, that’s all that matters. Don’t get too wound up about popular opinion. Buy and play what makes YOU happy.

Well said sir. Who cares what anyone else thinks. If ur buying pins based on what is deemed the best and most valuable then don't.

Quoted from SBrothers:

Famous last words and you shouldn't feel the need to be justified for anything, not just pinball.

Quoted from SBrothers:

Well just brilliant. You don't want it to be the best code for a different machine, right?

Happy u like ur game but, actually couldn't care less as long as I like my games who gives a shit. See? Good day sir, I said good day.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

The most efficient way to play this game is to time out every mode. Completely indefensible.

It’s “defensible” if I enjoy playing the modes...and I do.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Well said sir. Who cares what anyone else thinks. If ur buying pins based on what is deemed the best and most valuable then don't.

Famous last words and you shouldn't feel the need to be justified for anything, not just pinball.

Well just brilliant. You don't want it to be the best code for a different machine, right?
Happy u like ur game but, actually couldn't care less as long as I like my games who gives a shit. See? Good day sir, I said good day.

We all like what we like!

Enough pins for us all to find a few favorites.

Ahhh...My favorite Wonka quote...god bless mr wilder

#7 4 years ago

Good for you!!
I enjoy the game a lot and consider myself a code guy.

#8 4 years ago

Looking forward to the upcoming marketplace thread.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Lol.. usually the case

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Zing. I didn’t want to be the first one. I will happily buy a Munsters pro for the mid-4s

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Zing. I didn’t want to be the first one. I will happily buy a Munsters pro for the mid-4s

Not from the OP...he has a premium.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What are you waiting for?

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/87528

#13 4 years ago

Interestingly I don’t feel there have been all that many premiums listed on marketplace recently. There’s a few for sure, but not what I would call a rash of them.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Cute

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'd happily buy a Premium Munsters for mid 4's!

#16 4 years ago

LOL. Open mouth, insert foot. I'll trade for my STTNG!

#17 4 years ago

Glad you enjoy the game as it is. But saying it has the best code ever is just as bad as saying it has the worst code ever.

Great music, great art, great ramps, decent layout (mono targets excepted) with one-trick pony code and lackluster theme integration that deserves to be so much more. Still hope to get an original Premium one day if the code expands.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I thought the exact thing

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#19 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’ll sell my Munsters pro for $4500. If you’re serious and interested, pm me

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’ll sell my Munsters pro for $4500. If you’re serious and interested, pm me

Yeah? I may do that. I need to move some other stuff out first (STTNG) but I’d be down.

#21 4 years ago

Props to Op .... hate thread you reference is old news, and it was called "worse code ever" funny stuff. The game is great, have around 650 plays on mine, still draws me in as it's a very fun pin....mine not leaving. I wouldn't worry about defending it, it will just draw trolls. Enjoy the game....there are several "on the fence" that will own, or already do. It matters zero to me.

ALL games take a hit on resale, especially newer ones. Market is full....just look at some of the true "best ever" titles in the marketplace....more of those fs at a loss worse than Munsters. A few of those I wouldn't buy for 1k, as I just don't like them. Glad you're in the club.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Truth....

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Glad you enjoy the game as it is. But saying it has the best code ever is just as bad as saying it has the worst code ever.
Great music, great art, great ramps, decent layout (mono targets excepted) with one-trick pony code and lackluster theme integration that deserves to be so much more. Still hope to get an original Premium one day if the code expands.

...and that’s precisely why I added the “...for this game” statement. It is EXACTLY the code set that Dwight and George targeted. Simple, fun and achievable to Offer just the right amount of challenge for 80% of all pinball players skill level. T2 was the gameplay inspiration and I think they captured that nicely.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Props to Op .... hate thread you reference is old news, and it was called "worse code ever" funny stuff. The game is great, have around 650 plays on mine, still draws me in as it's a very fun pin....mine not leaving. I wouldn't worry about defending it, it will just draw trolls. Enjoy the game....there are several "on the fence" that will own, or already do. It matters zero to me.
ALL games take a hit on resale, especially newer ones. Market is full....just look at some of the true "best ever" titles in the marketplace....more of those fs at a loss worse than Munsters. A few of those I wouldn't buy for 1k, as I just don't like them. Glad you're in the club.

Thanks man...glad you are enjoying this game as much as I am!

Just wanted to add some positive energy back to this unfairly maligned title.

#25 4 years ago

So can someone layout the strategy for scoring in this game or point to one place where it is already stated?

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Just wanted to add some positive energy back to this unfairly maligned title.

You have every right to in a public forum. Sadly, it's much more fun to pile on around here, and with all the early hype, it was an easy target.

I don't trash games that don't appeal to me, but do enjoy watching desperate, small groups hype a few, horrid "most amazing, innovative, etc." games as the machine gets stale ( they all do after awhile if you can't rotate or have a larger lineup), and quietly show up in the marketplace.

Munsters theme is evergreen to those it appeals to, and you can sort of get the vibe many more are enjoying it than not. The game is not a walk in the park, nor boring as is..quite the opposite

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

LOL. Open mouth, insert foot. I'll trade for my STTNG!

There you go!

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

So can someone layout the strategy for scoring in this game or point to one place where it is already stated?

Watch the designers walk you through it right here...skip to about the 6:45 min mark to get right to the walk thru...

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

You have every right to in a public forum. Sadly, it's much more fun to pile on around here, and with all the early hype, it was an easy target.
I don't trash games that don't appeal to me, but do enjoy watching desperate, small groups hype a few, horrid "most amazing, innovative, etc." games as the machine gets stale ( they all do after awhile if you can't rotate or have a larger lineup), and quietly show up in the marketplace.
Munsters theme is evergreen to those it appeals to, and you can sort of get the vibe many more are enjoying it than not. The game is not a walk in the park, nor boring as is..quite the opposite

I’m the same way...I don't think I’ve ever trashed a game because I didn’t care for it.

I also believe that some of the negatively vocal few might be huge Munsters fans that were hoping for much much more for their favorite TV show theme. In that case I “Kinda” get the vitriol due to missed expectations.

For me, the Munsters was a show I liked (and still like), but it’s certainly not my Favorite TV show from that era. Maybe that’s why I can enjoy the gameplay for what it is.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

I also believe that some of the negatively vocal few might be huge Munsters fans that were hoping for much much more for their favorite TV show theme. In that case I “Kinda” get the vitriol due to missed expectations.

I don’t think “vitriol” is fair. There are plenty of people that like and want the game but just can’t pull the trigger because of the code. In my case it’s exactly for the reason you state - I was expecting much more of the show.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I don’t think “vitriol” is fair.

In your case, I'd agree, as you still follow the club thread, and point out many of the positive things the machine DOES have going for it...m any, many others aren't as kind, and " vitriol" fits fine.... Won't be long and Op's thread will gain a negative rating, w all the related bs, hence my suggestion to just enjoy the game.

I can say this thread title is far more accurate than the negative one,imho...

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

OK I’m intentionally countering a fairly recent derogatory thread deriding the Munsters code as the worst ever.
I’ve now owned my Munsters Premium for almost a month and have approximately 300 plays on it. Plays are primarily mine, but at least 100 are from neighborhood friends of mine (some pinball fans, some indifferent to it). I own 8 machines from a couple EMs to deeper ruleset games like LOTR and TZ.
Simply put....this pinball enthusiast feels that his Munsters Premium is an all around masterpiece!
It is the most stunningly beautiful game in my small collection
The “Ventures style” music is an absolute PERFECT fit and gets me in the rhythm of the game.
When you get this game wound up and rolling I truly feel like Grandpa starting up one of his crazy inventions. I fully expect sparks to fly out of this machine with the sound and lightshow going on!
No other pinball machine has forced me to use my chin in gameplay...that’s right, my friggen chin! During Munster madness my hands are tied up on both sets of flipper buttons and when the zap button is flashing I literally stoop down to “Chin” the zap button. Again...I’m a “Mad scientist” in his laboratory when I’m playing this game.
The flow of this game is lightning fast and you better be ready. Shots are like butter and Borg has earned a new fan! Man it gets my blood pumping.
Mini-playfield is a blast, and in my opinion, the best mini-playfield in all of pinball. It’s almost a complete machine in itself. Mini-drop targets would be all I’d add to take it over the the top.
Zap jackpots are a wonderfully fun feature that engages you at another level beyond the four flipper buttons. Again, puts me in the mind of a mad scientist with more buttons to bash as I crank “the machine” up!
Pressing your luck by cancelling super jackpots is incredible fun when playing with friends. Everybody collectively cringes as you mash the zap button hoping for greater glory down the road. It seldom comes, but when it does it is an absolute triumph!
Now let’s talk code...simple to understand, more importantly simple to explain to friends you want to play a game or three with. “OK that sounds pretty straightforward” they’ll say and then try and put it all together in a single game that lasts on average 4-5minutes. Ugh...”Ok let’s go again!”
Pinball is supposed to be fun...and this game is incredibly fun. If you’re an ace pinball player with flawless ball control that thrives on chasing mode after mode on an endless quest to Valinor then maybe this ain’t your cup o tea. No prob...plenty of deep code set games out there for you.
If you want to play with me and some friends head to head and raz each other for a missed “easy” shot or quick drain and then on the next ball high five over a massive super jackpot score that you risked everything and pressed your luck to get to then look no further than Munsters!
Thank you John Borg, Dwight Sullivan, Jerry Thompson, Chris Franchi and the whole Stern team for designing a machine that’s just flat out fun to play!

Great write up and you are SPOT ON! I have been saying this same thing forever, I LOVE the code that is on this game. Sure there are a few things that need tweaked and improved but You can say that about almost any game out there.

My Munsters Is definitely bolted to the floor and i can say that with 100% certainty. The Munsters is one of the funnest pinball machines I have ever played and chasing the jackpots never ever gets old. I am going to have to try that chin on the action button thing that you were talking about though because there are lot of times that you need three hands while playing this game, which is a big part of the fun and excitement of the game. That sounds pretty brilliant.....

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from sulli10:

My strategy for the pro lately (have not played the premium) has been

1. light grandpa but don't start it
2. start spot
3. start grandpa (it may not look it but grandpa can stack on spot you just have to have it lit and ready)
4. go for lily and start lily
5. once spot and grandpa are over start herman multiball
6. Now I start going for kitty and light it up to 6x
7. once herman is done start raven and keep 6x up while collecting super jackpots. If I get 6 or more I collect at this point
8. Hopefully by the time raven is over I still have 6x running and start up munster madness.

At any point when you have multipliers going a shot to kitty lit or not will reset the timer so make sure to shoot at it from time to time to keep multipliers going.

I try to get grandpa and spot out of the way as fast as possible. Even the safe spot shot can end in a center drain so being able to go for lily and grandpa as well at least make those modes go by quick. Plus if I'm lucky the mystery picked up from the grandpa shot will net me an extra ball or kitty. I get all of my points on raven and munster madness so always save up the kitty shots for those.

I've not made it to munster madness #2 yet but this strategy got me almost 300 million before going into the sent run to munster madness 2.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Great write up and you are SPOT ON! I have been saying this same thing forever, I LOVE the code that is on this game. Sure there are a few things that need tweaked and improved but You can say that about almost any game out there.
My Munsters Is definitely bolted to the floor and i can say that with 100% certainty. The Munsters is one of the funnest pinball machines I have ever played and chasing the jackpots never ever gets old. I am going to have to try that chin on the action button thing that you were talking about though because there are lot of times that you need three hands while playing this game, which is a big part of the fun and excitement of the game. That sounds pretty brilliant.....

Agreed 110%!

So if Dwight does ever add to the code, I may pull my 1.02 coded SD card and load the new code on a different card so I can flip flop between versions. Is there any reason that wouldn’t work?

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

My strategy for the pro lately (have not played the premium) has been
1. light grandpa but don't start it
2. start spot
3. start grandpa (it may not look it but grandpa can stack on spot you just have to have it lit and ready)
4. go for lily and start lily
5. once spot and grandpa are over start herman multiball
6. Now I start going for kitty and light it up to 6x
7. once herman is done start raven and keep 6x up while collecting super jackpots. If I get 6 or more I collect at this point
8. Hopefully by the time raven is over I still have 6x running and start up munster madness.
At any point when you have multipliers going a shot to kitty lit or not will reset the timer so make sure to shoot at it from time to time to keep multipliers going.
I try to get grandpa and spot out of the way as fast as possible. Even the safe spot shot can end in a center drain so being able to go for lily and grandpa as well at least make those modes go by quick. Plus if I'm lucky the mystery picked up from the grandpa shot will net me an extra ball or kitty. I get all of my points on raven and munster madness so always save up the kitty shots for those.
I've not made it to munster madness #2 yet but this strategy got me almost 300 million before going into the sent run to munster madness 2.

interesting strategy...may try that on my premium, although I wonder if that works w grandpas lower playfield.

I’ll give it a try next time I fire up a game!

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from SBrothers:

Agreed 110%!
So if Dwight does ever add to the code, I may pull my 1.02 coded SD card and load the new code on a different card so I can flip flop between versions. Is there any reason that wouldn’t work?

If there is a node board firmware update in the later version I would be cautious. If not it’s probably fine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
$ 49.99
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
12,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Findlay, OH
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munstersbest-code-ever-probably?hl=ericc123 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.