Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.43.14 AM (resized).png
you-have-chosen-wisely (resized).jpg
F50857BB-03D9-4B08-99E3-855F23907EE6 (resized).jpeg
rim.gif
Annotation 2019-06-03 152929 (resized).png
Resized_20190602_121852.jpeg
Screenshot_20190529-124632_Facebook.jpg
4FF1CF46-5994-4BC1-A7A7-05D2027EEB91.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 5 years ago

Couldn't agree more...and I loved Dwight's work on Star Wars.

My gut said something was wrong when the team bragged about the coolness of not having a ball save during the reveal. That's a "big idea"? Odd

I've owned 40-50 games over the years and Munsters was sold after 30 games or so. Never happened before...most games last at least a year typically (even AP, JP, Sopranos lasted longer).

Cool license/show, lame game. Complete dud. Fortunately, Stern kicked butt on the KISS 1.4 update (after keeping us hanging for 3 years)...the rules/mb's on KISS rock now. What a great game!

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

setting it up steep, outlanes or playing with your eyes closed doesnt make the code better. its still the same shots over and over. nothing feels different or even a drive to play it again. IMdn code is chopping wood. Same crap. Never put a number to anything you have to hit. it makes the game turn into.... oh i need 8 ramps oh i need 10 orbits. so on and so on. no desire or want to complete anything other than oh i have to hit so many ramps. I can rant on and on on why IMdn suxs too. I am not a point chaser and that doesnt drive me to play a game or spend my money.

I like my IMDN Premium 10x more than Munsters. Took 1 months to fully "dial in", but the flow is among the best of any Stern.

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

My point was we expect every new release to be super deep with complex rules and if it’s not we jump the coders for making a trash game. Munsters is a fun game with straightforward rules. Every game doesn’t need to be a marathon or require you to move shot multipliers around and then somehow smash the action button with your forehead because your in miltiball
The 90s games are great but imagine if addams had never been release and then it popped up as a new title now. People would crucify it. I’ve ownered and loved plenty of ems and early solid state machines so don’t worry about me not appreciating the past :p

Totally agree with the sentiment. Speaking for myself, Munsters just wasn't fun. Shoots fine and the clips are cool, but somehow the sum isn't greater than the parts. AFM, OTOH, is a game where everything comes together (why it's a classic).

It's a bummer, since I like the license and grew up with the show. TRON is a counter example where it's my favorite game (by far) and I haven't even seen the movies Oh well...

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No they wouldn’t. Great games are forever. People STILL love & want Addams. Modern math chess games that a few hardcore enjoy will never diminish the perfection of 90’s games design, mechs, and rulesets. Pure fun, no new game will change that.

Couldn't agree more. Not only rules, but today's fascination with high-res LCD's seems to be taking away from the "story telling" and theme integration that make the old classic games click. When I watched part of the recent BK reveal, I was struck by how many folks on the team worked on fancy imagery for the LCD. Nothing wrong with slick graphics, however they are ideally coupled with a story. CGI can be a tool or toy - ultimately, the story is king. For me, LOTR is Stern's most compelling game as far as story telling...the audio, dots, and light show just spot-on. It's so clear that the team loved the franchise and was given the time to polish the result. Look forward to playing Stern's BK to see if the rules/story fit well with all the effort they invested in the LCD graphics.

#206 5 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Yes, I think the advent of the LCD opened up all these new possibilities and at the same time greatly upped the amount of time that pinball companies had originally thought they would have to spend on high quality art/animations for this new canvas. High-res animations are easy to screw up and then you have to worry about the art direction/style/content/fonts etc matching the playfield/bg/cab art. Also it’s easy to put too much content or at wrong times which distracts from playfield play and companies are still figuring this out.
So the LCD is as much a fantastic new canvas as it is a burden to get right so only occasionally are companies getting this right today. IMO, Maiden is an example where the LCD art direction looks like it was made by a different team than playfield art for example. ACNC has LCD package that really fits with rest of game IMO.

I just wish there was more energy going into small, distributed LCD's on the PF (which has more potential for impacting the gameplay). For example, DI's virtual images in the Quantum Theatre. Star Wars LCD on the PF is another example...cool but used sparingly.

Just feels like a lot of the "energy" within Stern being applied to an area that has limited utility for single player games (common in the home).

A game with "meh" mechs and generic layout isn't helped that much by a wiz bang graphics show on the back box. Again, I'm all for great graphics, but it needs to be icing on the cake...not the cake

#234 5 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I've heard much the same sentiment. There is a solution to the problem but it is going to take someone like Deeproot, JJP or Spooky to force the hand.
First company to have an SDK and CICD process in place and allow for some crowdsourcing and hobbyist to pitch in on code will be the winner. It's going to take an SDK / public api or likewise to really get some of my friends interested in Pin ownership.

Making Open Source work requires strong (technical) leadership/planning on behalf of the company releasing the project. I was an early Open Source pioneer working on GCC and later LLVM/clang (two very popular compilers in Open Source land). I've also observed many other Open Source projects. I'm skeptical that Stern would ever adopt this model (licensing issues aside).

In theory, I agree it sounds like a viable solution. I just think the pragmatics (of how Stern operates) would make it very difficult.

#285 5 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

This.
Some of the most “fun” games have hardly any code.
Look at Paragon and F14 Tomcat. Two of the best machines ever made in my opinion. The code fits on a 8kb chip on Paragon. But it is fun fun fun to play. If you like your ass kicked.
Munsters just doesn’t have that. Everything else is cool. Layout is good. Shots are nice. Just stink to play though.
rd

Paragon is one of my favorite games of all-time. No MB's, no display, no callouts. Unlike Munsters, Paragon's PF design is fresh/unique (which makes it fun & challenging). Basic layouts like Munsters are crying out for more compelling code. I played my WH20 yesterday and was reminded how cool the layout is. Rules are fairly basic, but still a lot of fun. Happen to get 5x PF lit right before entering MB (which leads to some crazy points). Munsters just seems sooo monotone by comparison.

#293 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The irony is... the same multiplier strategy is the biggest objective in Munsters... yet you praise WH20 for it, yet you ignore it in Munsters?
At least in munsters it's not just one big jackpot to chase.. but rather you must build the jackpot first by getting supers for the modes, then get some kitty multiplier going, then roll into the super and multiball and see the points start raining.

Blah, blah. I don't ignore anything...don't know where you heard this falsehood. Don't like Munsters...wish I did!

1 week later
#363 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's pretty much a typical Pinside bash thread based on the opinion of someone who doesn't like any of the classic B/W pins of the 90's and also thinks the code on IMDN sucks for good measure.

Nope exactly. I love classic 90's games, love IMDN, and sold Munsters after 30 games (which is a first...I'm a collector, not a flipper). With the exception of the truly outstanding art packages, everything else about the game is "meh".

#427 4 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

It’s just that there is nothing fun to do. I love the theme, but I don’t feel like there is any immersion. We should be hitting ramps and hearing Herman say stuff. Where are the big lighting effects? The Dragula car thing is so lame. Could be so much more exciting. And what about doing something more intersecting with the Herman target and magnet? Maybe a mode where you stash a ball on the magnet and hit ramps without releasing the ball. Hit enough ramps and you add a ball. Spot is so underused and lame. Seriously this code is so uninventive. Add lots more clips and audio, lighting effects, modes, bling, explosions. Seriously who wrote this code? A corpse?
Stern you f’kd is on this one. Not cool. You can fix it. We are waiting.

Exactly. The TRON disk, MET Sparky, great Borg "attractions". Shit, even Gene Simmons on KISS is exciting compared with Herman. Sure IMDN doesn't have a cool "toy", but the layout is unique and cool.

1 week later
#495 4 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

My entire collection is Stern
TSPP
LOTR
FGY
TWD
AS
Code on AS needs slight tweaking and could benefit from expanding on a few features but it's no shitshow like other titles (IMO).
All others in my lineup are ridiculously well coded however. I mean stupid good code!

I recently sold AS to make room for Munsters. Since the code for AS is really basic, I figured Munsters had to be better. Bad assumption on my part.

Don't know if you are a KISS fan, but the new code is awesome (much better than AS IMHO). I also prefer the KISS PF layout. 3 years is an unfortunate waiting period, but I'm glad I hung in.

#561 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

-That being said, as a customer, I don't buy Stern games anymore due to everything above this line...lol.

I've seen many long-time player/collectors back off on buying Stern's latest offerings. After IMDN/Munsters, I've decided to sit on the sidelines as well. IMDN is a great game, but my Premium took forever to dial-in. If it isn't incomplete code, it's incomplete mechs! Considering Stern inherited the overall design, it's kind of disturbing they couldn't get the mechs "right" (especially since they aren't exotic). Sigh.

Love my current lineup, so it's not a big deal.

#579 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

-They have very specific mode music & specific sound FX/callouts when you get the shots which have that very satisfying Pavlovian nature to them. I don't remember if Munsters is quite comparable, to be honest.

TRON is one of the greatest games Stern has ever made (and I'm not really a fanboy for the movie/license). Some folks don't like the "Photoshopped" artwork, but it doesn't bother me. I really like the way they organized the straight line of inserts/modes. Combo heaven. Disk with the translucent rubber produces the best ball action of any "toy" in pinball. The only game I've ever owned 2 of...one for each "coast" Getting to Portal is challenging but not impossible. Getting to Portal without passing through SOS is really an achievement (both my son and I have each done it once IIRC). LE goodies are subtle but very cool. The only thing Munsters does better than TRON is the artwork. Guess some folks love the new fangled LCD, but on Munsters it doesn't do anything for me (unfortunately), and I'm a big fan of the series (watched it growing up).

#682 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I mean no offense, but looking at your collection it doesn't seem like you're particularly interested in even vaguely modern pinball. Meaning the kind of rule sets that existed in the '90s.
Nothing wrong with that, I happed to think the kind of early solid state titles you seem to favor are great games. But people don't want to pay $6k for games of that complexity.
Just saying, you're probably a pretty extreme outlier for the conversation. Doesn't mean you don't get an opinion, just that I doubt many people buying this game only own games from the '80s otherwise and are looking for that kind of simple play.

For me, cost and complexity aren't the issue. It's cost and FUN. Fun is obviously very personal, but there is no denying when a game has "chemistry" (between the dots/graphics, callouts, rules, etc.). As Coolpinballdino says above, the game is one dimensional. I believe the theme integration lacks "chemistry" (not just a Dwight issue). When you hit Herman, Spot, the shots don't feel fun. The callouts don't motivate. It's tough to quantify, but it's clear that many of us a feel the game is lacking. Fortunately, this is one of those rare games that I knew wasn't going to last after 30 games. I'm usually much more patient with my games/purchases. No big deal...they can't all by "great"!

#795 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The overall "quality" has taken a big step up from IDMN. It's a tank by comparison of yesteryear Stern.

IMDN was an outlier...way more out-of-the-box problems than most Stern games.

What specifically are you referring to in terms of Munsters being a "tank"? I don't notice anything that stood out.

#808 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

I hope Stern isnt looking at this with the Newspaper mentality of who cares we will make another one and people will keep buying it. Its not difficult decision to make the code better. It is the admittance of ... oh yeah umm sorry we totally missed the mark.

Stern doesn’t even issue Service Bulletins anymore (as far as I can tell). Once upon a time, when they had an issue, they would issue really detailed Service Bulletins. I don’t think they issued one Service Bulletin on IMDN! And the Premium/LE’s had a boatload of issues.

If they don’t do Mea Culpa’s for the mechanical issues, I don’t believe they will do it for software.

1 month later
#1096 4 years ago

Not only is the code "meh", but Herman is pathetic.

Just played MET, KISS, and TRON (all great Borg designs) and Sparky/Gene/Disk add sizzle to the respective games. Herman adds nothing.

#1098 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I’m confused. I have played KISS only a couple of times but I did not notice Gene do much except spit out a ball. His head just sits there on the play field taking up space, as far as I could tell. Where is the sizzle with Gene?

The Premium/LE has a 3-ball lock and eject from Gene's mouth/tongue (above the PF). All models have a spinning disk (level with the PF) that throws the ball back. The spinning disk is a little anemic when compared with TRON (a similar mech), but it works pretty well. I agree the head is a little large, but doesn't detract from other elements on the PF.

#1109 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Munsters is NOT a big license. It was probably only picked to try and snipe and Monster Bash Remake sales.
It was designed to be a simple ass game (hence the super long single standup targets vs. individual targets you have to actually aim a bit to hit). They delivered a simple ass game as advertised/promised. I mean really.

Agreed. The problem is "simple ass" games are harder to justify for home purchases (and it doesn't appear the license is killing it on location).

My Munsters Pro left my home faster than any other game in my collector (past/present).

Blaming specific individuals isn't fair. Stern *isn't* a boutique pinball manufacturer. Stern is collectively responsible for the quality of their games.

#1113 4 years ago
Quoted from sleepygtr:

Maybe what we are seeing is the segmentation of the market into "home pin" companies (JJP, Spooky, American) and a route company (Stern), So its not bad for pinball i reckon

Hope not. My collection is dominated by some awesome Stern titles that are a blast to play. Stern is also the most financially viable pinball company with the greatest manufacturing capabilities. Since they produce so many games, not every game is going to be a gem. This was true back in 2004 (with games like LOTR/TSPP) and it's true now.

#1165 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Honestly I'd rather buy a used game than another NIB game, more headaches trying to dial in a new game than a nicely set up used one.

I totally agree. Took me over 1 month to dial-in IMDN! Sure, it was an outlier, but my Munsters CPU died after 30 games! I've owned many games (as you know) and I've NEVER had a CPU board die on me. KISS "node board" died after 200 plays or so ($200 to replace).

My B/W games have been rock solid over the years. Power boards and bridge rectifiers need some love/care, but that's very infrequent (and inexpensive).

The notion that NIB == "rock solid and maintenance free" is BS.

#1166 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Just seems like a lot of wasted energy to me. I am not here trying to promote the game by any means but i am here because i care about this game and i want people to know that all of this talk about how bad the game sucks is total bullshit.

It's not total bullshit. I like the license, bought the game. After 30 games, CPU died and I decided the gameplay was much too simplistic for me to justify keeping it. I've owned many games over the years and Munsters was by far my biggest NIB disappointment. From my perspective, the only standout is the artwork. Everything else "meh".

I respect that you love it, you should respect others don't!

#1177 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you dont like the game thats fine and i respect that, but eventually you need to move on.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

I do respect that some people dont like it and I've said that many times. What i don't respect is the same 5 people who wont stfu about it.

I get it, but there is hypocrisy in wanting detractors to "stfu about it" (when you have been one of the most staunch advocates for the game!).

If you really dig the game, don't know why it matters. I guess some folks worry about resale being impacted? Who knows...

#1237 4 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Hmmm, for me both Dwight and George G's reputation has fallen very fast.
George has also been talking BS regarding GB's code being worked on after Starwars etc.... nearly 30 months
Stern doesn't seem to care once they have sold what they need too, We are the fools continuing to purchase machines when presented with subpar code on release.
It's not like we are paying chicken feed these days for a bnib

It's hard to know what algorithm Stern uses to schedule & focus on updates. Took 2-3 years for Stern to take KISS from half-baked to kick-arse, but it did happen. I always liked the KISS PF layout, but rarely played it because the code was so "meh". The code had "promise", but was just so unfinished. The latest release really is stunning and I'm playing the game more than anything else in my collection.

Can only hope they do the same for GB.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

6,489 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snaroff.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever?tu=snaroff and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.