Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.43.14 AM (resized).png
you-have-chosen-wisely (resized).jpg
F50857BB-03D9-4B08-99E3-855F23907EE6 (resized).jpeg
rim.gif
Annotation 2019-06-03 152929 (resized).png
Resized_20190602_121852.jpeg
Screenshot_20190529-124632_Facebook.jpg
4FF1CF46-5994-4BC1-A7A7-05D2027EEB91.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Maybe you should have gotten a premium or LE?
Did you change factory settings? Add a ball saver? Make it easier? This game needs to be set up tough and brutal. Maybe open the outlanes? It’s not supposed to be a long player like BM66 & SW.

Even set up tough and brutal, all you've done is made a repetitive, relatively shallow game brutal, which is even less reason to play it. MORE reasons to play it are needed, not less. The code base is so thin on Munsters it's almost not there at all, and there are annoying "featured" pauses in the gameplay like Dragula countdown which gets VERY old VERY fast. This game's earnings died fast on route once the VERY CASUAL players at the location it was at figured out what it had to offer. Our quickest in and gone pin ever at less than 6 weeks.

We'll see how it looks a year from now, but if someone wants a new pin, I would NOT recommend Munsters. Get a Deadpool Premium - THAT machine is now a choice purchase after languishing with crappy, incomplete code for like 6 months post-launch. Stern has established a pattern of crappy code at launch, maybe fun a year or more later, so this Munsters terrible code should be no surprise. It's literally almost equal to the sad state Batman '66 launched in and was stuck with for 18 months.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Vireland and I agree sometimes and sometimes we do not.

Well that means you're only wrong sometimes.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from CosmoJoe:

Hahah.. wow... the guy responsible for Munsters code was also responsible for GB? And people still bought it? Comedy.

He also did Game of Thrones, which is one of my favorite rulesets, and Star Wars, which started out crap and is now pretty great. So he CAN do good work. It's not like he's a Lonnie or anything.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you like pinball and can't find at least some enjoyment out of this pin then you need to find another hobby because you probably dont like pinball at all.

Even I can agree with this. But the price of admission for mediocre is still very steep. That's the core problem. Dwight needs to rethink his approach to the code. It has X-Men/TWD/Batman'66 launch code-itis.

#151 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

Heck throw in a commercial break bonus.

They have, it's called Midnight Madness and it's one of the best MM modes ever done, I heartily recommend every owner change the clock if they're not late people so they can see it. On the route, I reversed the clock so noon players could see it.

MM has excellent theme integration, which proves Dwight CAN do it if he wants to.

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it’s such a waste of a mode being achieved solely because when you play it. Would be so easy to bring it in to main gameplay.

It's the most finished-feeling part of the game with fun and theme integration, which is weird since it's essentially a bonus feature, and most people won't even know it's there. First time he got it, my son was like "THIS is what the game should be like."

#225 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You're too close to it. I'm glad you enjoy it. I'm never going to play the game ever again, I have all the perspective I need. It's a licensed game that didn't get the assets for its license. Stern had the same problem. They solved it with a good Jack Sparrow sound-alike & other "generic" pirate voices, the Yo-ho song, and an awesome sinking ship. Their game had what it needed to be a successful POTC game & became one of Stern's top sellers. JJPOTC was released at the wrong time with the wrong approach. There's a reason they're canning it and moving onto Wonka.

jjPotC DESTROYS Stern's PotC. Destroys. And the music is without peer. The only reason it didn't win best music is not enough people even had access to a machine to hear it. EVERY theme is good in it, and many, many are AMAZING. You don't need movie voices to make a good pirates game, and jjPotC proved it. You need to spend a lot more time with it.

1 week later
#373 5 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I find this odd considering the layout is almost the same as MET. Outside of code which might be addressed, the flow and shots in this game is great with a well intergrated lower playfield. This is one game where I personally would not get a pro, the lower pf does add a lot to this game.

Layout is much closer to AC/DC. Much.

#442 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah and one thing that i will admit that sucks is sometimes you dont know how many jackpots you have stacked up. I would like to see that displayed bigger on the screen. I know sometimes the callouts tell you (maybe all the time?) but i dont always hear it.

The super jackpot counter on the screen is definitely WAY too small. WAY.

1 week later
#548 4 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

Dwight Sullivan's apparent inability to listen and react is costing Stern sales numbers.
There's a ton of owners happy with how it is now, also saying it doesn't need more and it's fun as it stands. That's great, they're happy and enjoying it.
Then there's a whole load of us fence sitters who think the game is ok as it is BUT expect a lot more bang for buck than it currently offers.

And then there's the people that bought it, recognized the familiar stench of the Batman'66 launch state and said "aw, hell no!" and dumped the machine within weeks, deciding to jump in again in a couple years IF it is improved. Instead of upgrading Munsters Pro to a Premium for the route, we dumped the Pro, cancelled the Premium order and brought in Deadpool Premium instead. It was a great change.

#584 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I'm with the OP on this, Munsters was quite disappointing and the hype it got as the GOAT I fell for but compare deadpool to munsters. Deadpool doesn't have that much more to hit than Munsters but the code makes all the difference to it. It generates demand for you to hit a lot of shots for pair up and other modes and then you get into each mode which then gives you more reasons to shoot. Shots are also challenging. Deadpool is up there with the best games Stern has ever made but its gets low amount of love.

I think that's changing, at least in the US. It mostly has to do with how terrible Deadpool was at launch - and it was BAD. In the last 3 months or so of great software updates, it's turned a corner and at least here seems to have become a sought-after pin. Lots of people buying Premiums and LEs recently. We added a Premium to the route I help with and it's doing great.

#600 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

People are really going to be bummed they sold their Munsters when they update code soon.

People that dumped Munsters and spent months (or YEARS) enjoying a pin with good code while Munsters does whatever it does will regret nothing. Why waste time with a crap pin, especially in a limited home collection? Enjoy a pin with mature code (Deadpool has recently graduated to awesome) and circle back to Munsters IF it ever gets code worth playing.

#603 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

Munsters and its code offers two different things to two very different groups of people.
If your collection is all about you, your own personal enjoyment and your skills, I agree that the depth of code on this pin is not for you.
If you have friends that aren't pinheads but just casual players that enjoy coming over to play on a Friday or Saturday night, I don't think there's a better pin out there. My friends just can't get enough of it. I think that's pretty awesome. So I don't feel like it's a waste, on the contrary it makes my game nights so much fun.
Do I think it could be better? Sure, I think they need to integrate the theme more and create "special moments", but there's plenty of time to get there. For now I'm really enjoying it.
The title of this thread is ridiculous. Look through the top 300 on this site and you'll find far worse rules than Munsters...

Those same people you have over would enjoy Deadpool or another "easy to play, hard to master" pin with mature code that you can still enjoy when they're not there. There is no sense in having an expensive crippled pin just for the special case of non pinheads you have over being able to play it. There are PLENTY of great pins that non-pinheads and low-skill players can have a great time with.

This isn't just picking on Munsters. I dogged Deadpool for like 6 months because it was TERRIBLE, but with energetic and imaginitive code updates it's become a great pin that I now highly recommend. Maybe one day Munsters will be that way, too. But given Dwight's public comments that the game is basically finished, I think it's that in more ways than one and would never recommend it, much as I *love* the theme.

#618 4 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

It's a valid point, except for the game being crippled...Ghostbusters is crippled, Munsters is not. Shallow, but not crippled. My favorite game of all time is Attack From Mars, and it's pretty comparable to Munsters depth-wise.

You're talking about two different things. AfM is relatively shallow compared to modern games, but the theme is WELL INTEGRATED and the code has good progression which makes it FUN. Munsters is very shallow with a very poorly integrated theme, so it makes it much more boring than Attack from Mars. After only about 2 weeks the year-old AfMr already was out-earning the brand new Munsters we had on the route I help with. That's really bad for a new pin, usually the honeymoon lasts longer. Ghostbusters has problems with buggy code and some bad code progression choices, but I wouldn't call it crippled because it again has great theme integration, and the depth of code that's already there is substantially more than Munsters.

Munsters has the double whammy of poor theme integration AND very shallow, repetitive code, which makes it exceptionally boring to play. THAT is crippled.

But hey, it can pull a Deadpool or Batman'66 and get a major code fix or fixes that makes it worth owning eventually, but we're definitely not going to have one on the route while Dwight figures out if the code really is mostly done like he's said.

1 week later
#798 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Just as a point of interest, if you ever lose the amusement factor of the messages, if you put someone on ignore they lose the ability to PM you.

Not entirely true unless you delete old PMs from them. As long as they have a PM in your inbox, they can still PM you while ignored. Also, they can still harrass you with downvotes that are visible to you despite being ignored. I know this because one especially huge loser shill account has done this.

#801 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I dunno, I've always found it kind of amusing to see the downvotes, it means they're reading my posts, and meanwhile I don't see a thing they have to say.
If you're getting abusive PMs then report him, there's no excuse for that nonsense. I might have hypothetically ignored a certain poster ages ago, and my life is better for it. Do as you will, but I recommend not wasting your time with some people.

Oh, I've totally moved on from this particular ego-driven idiot (which is a badly-disguised shill account for a much better-known senior pinsider), but it was interesting that they found cracks in the ignore system. Once I deleted the last PM from him, he had no way to PM me, and I do just think "wow, no life" when I see his serial downvotes (easy to spot as he's 99.9% of the time the only downvote on a post). Robin's aware of the cracks now.

#807 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

I hope Stern isnt looking at this with the Newspaper mentality of who cares we will make another one and people will keep buying it. Its not difficult decision to make the code better. It is the admittance of ... oh yeah umm sorry we totally missed the mark.

Gary said on video that he could sell a box of lights with (I think it was Star Wars? Don't remember.) the game name on it. So, uh, that's the mentality.

#847 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

So the $12650 AUD question is "What is Lymans next game?"

Isn't he on Elvira 3?

#849 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

IMO to have any shot that is worth FOURTY TIMES the value is dumb. Hey, good on ya if you can pull that off consistently, but 99% of people will never be able to do it, so what’s the point? 2x combo multipliers are attainable by everyone, and promote better play.
Just my 2c.
rd

Lighting both PF multipliers using Kitty with Mystery/Lilly/Herman activation can be done pretty easily (too easily, IMO) on Munsters. Stack that with the stacked super jackpots for a big super jackpot over and over. Boring.

#855 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I see you have sold a lot of pins and the only pin remaining in your collection is WOZ, which from my understanding is a fairly deep (complicated?) game to play.

Ugh. I just need to take that out completely since it gives people the wrong idea. I don't update the collection because it changes too much, and I limit myself to two pins at home at a time max as a recovering pin-a-holic. But I've hooked up with an operator a couple years ago to recommend what pins to bring in and to maintain those pins on his route, so I see and extensive play almost every new pin out, including Munsters. It's just a bad pin. Lasted like 3 weeks on the route because the regulars hated it after a week, too. Needs a complete code re-think. As has been noted, Iron Man has very basic code, but is a great pin - a blazing fast ballbuster. Simple code can be awesome IF it's well integrated into the theme and well executed. Munsters is neither.

#861 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Wait a minute. I have given IM a try 2 or 3 times at my arcade. It is fast. I’ll give you that. But IM and I got off on the wrong foot as for me it was a drain monster. But I try to keep an open mind. I just went to YouTube and found an excellent video that is so good that I am going to give IM another chance the next time I visit Cactus Jacks.
That said, I’m shaking my head that you are giving this glowing report about how fast IM is and what a good pin it is while at the same time you consider Munsters a POS not worthy of your time?
I’m sorry but I am not understanding the logic behind your opinion because from my perch, when it comes speed of ball play, Munsters is no slouch.
You have an opinion that you don’t like Munsters. I get that. But acid you have dripping from your pen regarding Munsters as not worth anyone else’s time is bit of a stretch, IMO.
My question to you remains. How do you rate your pinball playing skill level? 1 is the lowest at poor with super star player at 10. I’ll place myself at 3 or 4. And you?

7, 8 maybe.

Speed isn't the only component to a great pin. It's speed, code, and theme integration. Munsters has one of those. There's almost no theme integration, and the code is very flat and single-minded. It's a dull machine in desperate need of a complete code overhaul. John Borg did his job reasonably well (I don't think the Herman bash toy makes any sense, but other than that, decent). The problem is mainly with Dwight's anemic code and scoring structure.

Iron Man hits all the marks with speed, code, and theme integration. The code could use a little more depth, but there's plenty there to make an enjoyable pin. I don't SEE most of the people on a day to day basis that play these pins on the route I help with, but it was pretty clear that they did not like Munsters very quickly. The "new pin honeymoon" cash bump that usually lasts a month or more lasted a week or two with Munsters, then earnings fell off a cliff. Granted at this location they had AfMr and Iron Maiden Premium to choose from as well, but to have a new pin drop off so fast says a lot about the pin. We got rid of it. Literally the fastest pin in and out since I've been helping with that route.

#869 4 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

Where do you get that absurd information from ??? We see operators everywhere doing well with this title. Also I know for a fact this one is in high demand and orders are backed up ..
Better check your information and the industry !

Not "everywhere" - as I said, Munsters was a huge fail in Northern California (we had the first and only Munsters on location north of Sacramento). Earnings honeymoon was the shortest of any machine we've put out, then it dropped off a cliff. Dialed In lasted almost three times longer before its earnings fell! It's a bad pin due to terrible code.

Good news is, Deadpool that SUCKED at launch and for like the next 6 months is now doing great at the location it's at here. Tanio's code turned the corner in the .90s and never looked back. Players love it.

Munsters can be fixed, but the first step to recovery is admitting there's a problem. Mike? Paging Mike? It's time for some of that programmer whispering you're known for...

#873 4 years ago
Quoted from guymontag451:

Our Munsters Premium is earning well but definitely much less than our Black Knight Pro. Of the last four Stern games that we have on the floor I would rank them as
1) Black Knight Pro (although, it’s also the newest so it should be)
2) Deadpool Pro
3) Munsters Premium
4) Iron Maiden Premium (although it’s also the oldest, and has earned well in the past)

Well here, at the location it was at, earnings rank was:

1> AfMrLE
2> Iron Maiden Prem
3> Munsters Pro

But once Munsters almost immediately fell off a cliff, there was a big gap between 2-3. After the lineup change, it's now:

1> jjPotCLE
2> AfMrLE
3> Iron Maiden Prem

But 2/3 are very close and swap constantly, whereas 1 is still in its honeymoon earnings phase. Munsters almost didn't perform like a new pin at all. It was bad.

#877 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Damn pinside again.

Server's been laggy, hanging, and throwing occasional cloudflare errors the last few days for me. Is that what you're talking about? Double posting because it lagged or seemed to hang up?

#879 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

It's not code. Munsters is just too old and niche a theme to attract randos on location. Elvira 3 will have the same issue if it ever gets made.
If Stern really does put operators first they need to make themes that appeal to the millennials. Look at Deadpool. Jurassic World will also do well.
Again, gonna be some mega deals to be had when the pin generation sells their collection to move to Florida and wait for death because the new money won't give a f**k about a lot of these old man themes.

So what you're saying is Bible Adventures is doomed? That beats these "old man themes" by centuries.

None of the n00bs know what Attack from Mars is on the location I help with when they first come in. They are almost all soon addicted. It's code. Ask Facebook about making the most mundane thing addictive with code.

#882 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

You don't have to explain aliens attacking or medieval battles to people. Plus those games have self-contained humor "Come on in and let's take this outside"
Regarding code Munsters could do more to flesh out the humor. For instance I saw a YouTube clip of a scene where the blonde woman brings home a date he sees her dad and runs away, funny, then she says "Oh dad what's wrong with me?" also funny and short enough to work in the game. Why isn't stuff like that in there?
Or like Scared Stiff, already dated in 1996 but the script and voice work (especially from Cassandra) are top notch and the jokes work even if you didn't watch her show. I have no idea what a "Dead Head" is but it's still funny when she says "He always wanted a little head"
Why hire soundalikes and not give them anything good to say? WOZ added dialog and apparently WB was OK with that.

People understand monsters, too (I mean Frankenstein and Dracula monsters are front and center). Even "good" or "goofy" monsters. In Munsters that goodwill is being squandered because they aren't being presented in a funny, fun, and addictive way. Code. Well, and theme integration. Munsters has a TON of great slapstick that's not being used.

#884 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It is - the whole Marylin “mode” is based on the boyfriends running away each time you make the lit shot.
There’s a lot of subtlety in this code that seems to be lost on most people. Sure it needs to be fleshed out a bit...

Understatement of the year.

1 week later
#926 4 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

And yes - the LCD integration seems to be hit and miss - I mean the “Ball Saved’ animation is PERFECT with Herman ‘saving the ball’ in the baseball game - but I saw little else that was linked that same way ( granted you cant look up a lot , but I tried )
Ultimately I have to make a decision

Do yourself a favor and play Midnight Madness on this pin. It is the single best Midnight Madness mode I've played. Fantastic theme integration, and just spot-on. I set the machine we had on route (before it was sold off in under a month) to opposite time so people playing at noon could get it. DEFINITELY something you want to play.

That said, you made the right choice by passing on Munsters. Circle back in a year and see if a lot has changed to make it worth a buy.

#933 4 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

I do understand there is ‘strategy’ to scoring the ‘right way' at the right times and utilising the Kitty shot , but its just too rinse and repeat.

Gary (aka "Sam" in this story) agrees that doing math to play pinball isn't fun:

#946 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Those wishing for Munsters depth (oxymoron) shouldn't be comparing it against BM66. That's a ridiculously deep game that really has nothing in common except a theme from the same era.

The comparison is obvious because, having had both from launch, BM'66 and Munsters have started with almost exactly the same level of extremely shallow, almost nothing-to-do code. There's almost literally a direct correlation of limited things to do.

However, Batman started getting better 18 months later. I don't think Munsters will improve that much because historically Dwight leaves his machines and moves on. GoT and Ghostbusters are still bug-fests years after release, and Munsters is much less involved than either of those at launch. If he goes back and does a Lyman-like overhaul it will be the first time in history. Seems very unlikely.

#948 4 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

You have three shots on the game that really don't do anything in the grand scheme of things "both the Lilly and Dragula standup bars and the dragula shot itself other than your jackpot collect" and to a point I guess you could say the Eddie loops are the same.

Lily isn't "do nothing" it's is actually a VERY easy way to do the first step to qualify the initial kitty multiplier target. Basically they should have just called Munsters "Kitty" because that's key to getting the multipliers maxed and getting score. Keep getting kitty lit, keep hitting kitty keep skipping super jackpots until you have them all, then collect.

Problem is, none of it is fun after a while. Zero. It's just a boring grind with super-poor theme integration. We had the same experience as your operator friend on the route I help with. It was gone in less than a month. Fastest in and out for a machine since I've been helping him. N00bs hated it, experienced players were bored. It earned really bad. It's not the theme, it's the terrible software. Plenty of people sampled it when we had it out, but few came back to it.

#952 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

OMG I simply don't get folks dissing on this soon to be top 10 Pinside game. Guess people were slamming Adam's Family in other threads.

Top 10 Pinside on which list? Disappointments?

#997 4 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Seriously look back at TWD,

Lyman

Lonnie, Tanio

Lonnie, Waison

Keith

Lyman

and most especially BM66

Lyman

and look how much better those games turned out. It happened... it will happen, but you’ve got to have patience and know it won’t happen overnight.

See any Dwight machines on your list (though he did help on Keith's WPT)? No? Well, that's because Dwight has a bad reputation of leaving his code unpolished and buggy (see: Ghostbusters, Game of Thrones). There would be more hope for Munsters if A> Dwight didn't have a rep and B> Dwight hadn't said on the record he considers Munsters mostly done instead of in need of a complete serious overhaul.

Using Lyman machines as 50% of your stated examples and Dwight machines as 0% of your examples doesn't really help your Munsters thesis.

So, yeah, Munsters code is poor and literally about as wide and deep as the initial terrible Batman '66 software. And it's a big (REALLY BIG) gamble betting it will get the overhaul it needs. If you like it as-is, great. But don't bet on or suggest Lyman level improvement on a Dwight game - it's a losing gamble.

#999 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

Munsters was never designed or intended to be like Batman and never will be. Shallow rules does not mean a game is inherently bad or not fun!
I understand people are disappointed they didn't get a Batman level of depth here, but that isn't what Borg/Sullivan were aiming for.
Some side modes and more theme integration seems like a reasonable request. A complete overhaul is not realistic and not needed. The game is fun as designed. It just needs a little boost.

Iron Man is another Borg title that is not especially deep, but it is FUN. Munsters is one-note and just boring in a very short period of time, even for n00bs (as evidenced by how fast the route earnings here and other places fell off a cliff). The key problem is not breadth or depth (though more of both would be welcome) but the lack of FUN.

#1002 4 years ago

You sure about that?
Dwight coded Ghostbusters. And that game without a doubt was one of our very best selling games.

Still makes bank on route, too. Unlike, say, Munsters.

#1014 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You obviously haven’t spent very much time on this game because its fun as hell.

I spent an EXTENSIVE amount of time on a Pro and some time on a Premium. It's a boring, one-note game with terrible theme integration. The Kitty shot is all it's about right now, and that's not fun. I hope it gets better, but with Dwight's public comments, it's not looking good.

And forget my opinion, it's not earning on route. That's the death knell. Every real operator I've talked to says it's meh to bad earnings (it fell off an earnings cliff faster than any other pin on the route I help with). Only Stern says it's doing great. I believe the operators.

#1041 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

This thread should be shut down. It was started in bad faith by someone who doesn't like the type of games that Munsters was modeled after in the first place. Of course they think the code is "bad." The original post is worthless and the original poster has not added anything to the discussion since then.
Also lol @ those games not being challenging.... "OK."

You know, you can drain the thread so you never see it again if it upsets you so much.

#1044 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Right.
Each new game should get a forum like this one? Shitty code at start, improvements along the way.

Unless the code author is on record as saying what he's already released is almost done, and he also has a record of buggy abandonware. That's the Munsters situation. It's almost graphable now. This is not a Batman'66/Lyman situation, though the starting point is almost equally bad.

#1049 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Kind of funny that you were the chief cheerleader for Dwight being on code during the prelaunch hype phase of this game. Could look up and quote your posts but couldn't be bothered - something along the lines of B(org)F(ranchi)D(wight) dream team??

Absolutely. I like Dwight's "chess pinball" from Game of Thrones and to a lesser extent, Star Wars. I just never imagined he'd stop at checkers and call it a day like he has with Munsters (as he stated). So yeah, a much different BFD than expected.

#1051 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

That’s the Stern way - base code (comes at various levels on games) - then improves over many, many months.
I thought Munsters was supposed to be more basic code though (didn’t know it was buggy?). Maybe they listen and add a bit more code/mode.

Ghostbusters has been riddled with bugs and incomplete since release over three years ago. Almost no updates at the beginning, either.

Game of Thrones (while I like the code) has a fair amount of annoying bugs that should be easy to fix. No fixes forthcoming.

Star Wars fared a little better (maybe because of the Disney license?) and got enough updates to take it from blah to pretty good.

Munsters is literally almost point for point at the same place Batman '66 was when it launched very poorly. And Dwight is on record saying it's pretty much done, so no Lyman rehab of the whole thing is coming to save it.

So based on what Dwight has said on the record about Munsters code, it will not follow the dribbly trajectory of incremental improvements over time that a Lyman game would. I hope Stern changes this, but we didn't stick around to find out.

#1064 4 years ago
Quoted from tpir:

To be clear, the discussion doesn't upset me, the bad faith actors and trolls like yourself are annoying though. You have literally nothing constructive to add to the conversation. We get it. You don't understand how something that isn't "chess" can still be fun because you are such a cerebral pinball player. Cool. Bye!

This is a thread about "worst code ever" - what about that title led you to believe there would be constructive comments about the code? This isn't a club thread where everyone talks about how great it is not to have all that code to learn. It's a thread about how bare-bones awful Munsters code is - easily the worst since launch time Batman '66. It DOES seem like conversation about that reality is upsetting you.

Psst. You can also ignore me and anyone else that upsets you forever with just a click. There are ways to fix your angina on this subject. You have the tools, why not use them? I do. My ignore list is not long, but a few choice cuts made the pinside experience much better. I highly recommend it.

#1065 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

on that point, i'm with you, STERN seems to make last games (BK3 too) more "approachable" to touch much more people on location... not sure this have to be linked with the price
i'm OK with that, but as a "player", i'm not happy with it, simple as that (and than i'm not buying these games)

Dunno about BK3 (we passed for location), but Munsters DID NOT EARN. Honeymoon period that usually lasts a month or more with a new machine lasted about a week with Munsters before it fell off a cliff. And this is not a location with pro players. It's mostly recreational n00bs. They just didn't like it. jjPotC earned more in a WEEK than Munsters earned in a MONTH on the route. Granted, jjPotC is at $1.50/Play $5/4 Play with 4 balls and Munsters was $1/play with 3 balls, but that price difference doesn't explain the huge earning disparity.

I haven't heard anyone but Stern say Munsters is earning great. All the OPs I talk to say Meh to bad earnings IF they still have it. So no, the "let's do less code" Stern model isn't automatically an earnings hit on routes.

Also, the recent report from the Stern tour where Deadpool and BK:Sor were all over the place on the floor and Munsters was absent reinforces the reality that Deadpool is suddenly very hot and Munsters remains very cold. If the demand was anywhere near the levels Stern implies, there would be a lot more Munsters being made.

#1069 4 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

For another data point, Munsters was swapped out at our location after about a month and they put IMDN back in.

In addition to the personal experience on the route I help with (Munsters was the fastest in-to-out of any new pin ever), your story or variations of it are what I'm mostly hearing. Munsters is bombing on routes. It's not hard to imagine why. Stern CAN fix this, but will they?

#1074 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

How would a code update change the fact that it's an ancient obscure old man license that hipster millenial barflies don't give a damn about?

So, that's why Bible Adventures hit the skids? Lack of faith in the ancient theme? Ironic.

Seriously though. Wizard of Oz. I could never imagine playing one, let alone owning one. The code is what makes it good, and it does great on route. Real staying power. Code is more important than theme for lasting power.

Much better code would make Munsters do better. But as it is, it makes no sense (why is the player bashing Herman?), the theme integration is terrible (except for Midnight Madness - the best integration of this in any pin), and it's just boring to play after a while. I totally believe that it can be saved, but I don't think Dwight will do it. I'd love to be surprised, though. Make this another Deadpool terrible to awesome transformation with code alone and I'll happily promote it.

#1075 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Everyone please write them and ask these questions.

Don't waste your time. Pinside is a curiousity for Stern management, nothing more. You'll get PR BS and probably some outright lies. Play your pinball machines, it's more productive.

#1076 4 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Same in my area. Was on site for just over a month before being pulled and sold.

Seems like the 1 month in and out for Munsters is a common location refrain...

#1079 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

If you're referring to location pins this is false

Just my personal experience helping on a route. The pins with the best code are the ones that last the longest - in general. Ghostbusters would be an exception (although there's plenty of code, there's a LOT of bugs), and there are are few others. Theme seems to carry it the first few months, but code keeps it going, on the locations here, at least.

1 week later
#1094 4 years ago
Quoted from ATLpb:

My MUN is earning. Has been for about 3 mos now. Not like DP nor IMDN at same point, but it’s no slouch. No it isn’t a smash hit, but count me as +1 for more than “meh” earnings on it.
More info: it’s not like it is performing because it’s the only fancy one, it’s holding its own in a collection that includes imdnprem, DPprem, GOTGle, bm66, bkle, got, met, stprem, afmrle. It’s not in a great position either, it’s in a corner sort of.

So still no one saying it's earning great, but one better than meh and two more pulled after a month. That's not a great record. There's a reason Munsters came and went on the line, it seems.

I really hope Stern revamps the code to put an actual game in the cabinet, but if they don't, it's dead.

#1120 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

You’re the one up in the night, thinking it’s not a big license!
A friend of mine in the mod business called it a block buster license sales wise. Said only one machine has ever performed similarly in sales and that was MET. Said nothing else has come close to Munsters sales wise. Yes, it is a blockbuster big license title, loved the world over. Anyone thinking differently is in denial. The LE’s sold out almost instantly. They even increased them by another 100.
Spoken with insiders whom say it is now selling like hot cakes. Ask anyone that doesn’t know pinball and they’ll tell you Monster Bash is a song? Ask most people what Munsters is about and they know, even if they’re not into pinball. Been in syndication for over 50 years.
It would be a shame if Stern didn’t give it some mode based needed Munsters story line, in the vain of Munsters midnight madness. The game is good now, but could be so much more and one of Sterns number one sellers of all time, if they spent just a little more time and improved the code with Munsters show material. Wouldn’t be hard to do.

If it was selling so well, it would still be on the line. They made the initial machines, pushed them out, and that was that. Recent tour was all deadpool (heating up to white hot sales now that the code is good) and BK:SOR. When used Munsters pros were under 5k a month in, that's not a good sign. And with Operators taking it off routes in a month or less due to bad earnings (us and others) or watching Munsters perform at the bottom of earnings, it's not a hot title. It's a dud.

#1131 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

...and the hardcore players hate the rules.

Casuals on location here hated it, too. It's not just hardcore.

#1182 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Must be a lot of fun to read threads and not really knowing what all is being said.

But if you drain the thread you disagree with, solves the problem completely. You don't need the agitation.

#1185 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thats true.....but i don't want to do that

And crying when people come into the Munsters club thread "being rude" by pointing out the machines clear shortcomings, but then doing the EXACT SAME THING by coming into the clear anti-club thread and spouting "Munsters is great" nonsense nonstop is hypocritical.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

I don't necessarily disagree with you but i like to see when someone is being a total DICK so i can call them out on it.

Thank you for making my point just one post later.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

I do respect that some people dont like it and I've said that many times. What i don't respect is the same 5 people who wont stfu about it.

Well, it's better than one person doing enough delusional posting for the other "five" with a realistic take.

#1188 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Cry me a river Vireland. Like a give a F what you think

Well, that doesn't actually matter to anyone except you. The point is you're being hypocritical and annoying by breaking your own "rules."

#1190 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yeah and the point also is that you are being a .......i will just say Troll. This thread would probably die if it wasn't for you.

Fortunately, I'm ON TOPIC in this thread. You are NOT. That's the point. Would you like to post something negative about Munsters? There's lots to choose from...

#1195 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Only in your mind you're on point, not everyone agrees with you sorry.

Don't change my words to fit your agenda. That's not what I said. I said I was ON TOPIC, as in this thread is ABOUT MUNSTERS HAVING THE WORST CODE EVER. The fact that's what this thread is FOR is not open for debate, it's not an opinion. It's a fact. You are in a thread about how awful munsters code is constantly deriding people for posting that it does indeed suck.

You whine when this happens in the Munsters club thread by people that don't like it and post there. If you notice, I haven't posted there negatively since I realized I was accidentally posting in it via notifications. Probably at least 6 weeks ago. Why can't you extend the same courtesy to people in this thread that don't share your OPINION by just dialing back (or off) your "Munsters is the bestest ever" posts here or being churlish to people that are ON TOPIC in this thread?

#1200 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You may be in topic but the thread was bullshit from the get go and thats my point. There are plenty of games that aren't as good as Munsters out there. This was a troll thread from the get go and you know it.

Okay, that's your OPINION, but why are you HERE dogging the people that don't share your OPINION when they've stayed out of your kumbaya Munsters club thread out of respect? The point is, you've expressed your opinion over and over and over in a thread here that's NOT ABOUT your opinion. You're just being disrespectful now.

#1203 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

(Pssst. Ignore button. It's Pinside's bug spray. Use it.)

I don't ignore button lightly. But point taken.

#1204 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Lol yeah ok whatever. Ive actually been much nicer about it than i would like to be trust me. Don't act like you are a Saint in all of this Vireland because you arent.

Are you SUUUUUURE?

saint-vic (resized).jpgsaint-vic (resized).jpg
#1208 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Like I said, deep doesn’t always mean good. POTC is DOA due to lack of assets. Deep means nothing when there’s no content or personality to go with it. With no context for the modes or shots, it’s just a lot of “hit the colored thing for points”. That’s boring.

I could not disagree with this more. Did you actually PLAY jjPotC where you could HEAR it (or play it at all? You replied like you've only watched it)? The soundtrack, callouts, and light show are AMAZING. Easily the best soundtrack so far this century. Nothing else comes close. There's a lot to do and it can be overwhelming for a while, but it's a sight and sound smorgasbord and so much fun with two players because of the novel plunder mechanic.

#1215 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, I've played JJPOTC where I could hear it. Soundtrack is great, I love Theil....but what callouts?

Gibbs does a TON of great callouts, and you also have the pirate "Arrrrrs" and the random parrot callouts. I don't feel like I'm missing something when playing it. If someone didn't know this was based on a movie series they would think it was an extremely good pirate pinball game. The best yet. Destroys Black Rose and Stern PotC

Quoted from Rarehero:

What's the point? I'd rather play the Stern version.

I don't know many people who would be of this opinion after playing both extensively. Stern's is SO BORING. The ship's a great toy, but that's about it.

#1223 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah the Stern one gets boring...but it’s entertianing for a little while & sinking the ship & fighting the Kraken is more fun than anything I experienced in POTC. I didn’t find JJPOTC entertaining at all. The character selection is confusing from the get go. The modes based on movie events with zero context or content attached is a miss, it just feels like a weird slot machine with nice music, not what I expect from a $10k pinball machine. I know you don’t like Hobbit, but after playing a cinematic game like that with tons of voice clips in addition to custom callouts (like all good licensed pinball machines)...POTC just feels wrong.

OMG, you're right I'd take jjPotC ANY DAY over Hobbit. THAT is JJP's biggest mess, er...miss. No matter how they dressed it up, it just was a bad design that wasn't fun and those drop targets proved there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

#1224 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Well if big R hits and all pinball companies fold except one...and that one has to cut to minimal staff (and like fewer coders)....will see what we have then.
Oh wait that sounds familiar from just a few years back! !!!!

The Wayne years. Bleaugh...

#1231 4 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I am think Munsters can easily be fixed. Just by putting some additional interaction by video and call outs when shots are made would make the game a lot better.
It would take the D code to C +.

It can absolutely be fixed, but Dwight on record saying he considers it almost done is the main concern. It's nowhere close to acceptable in its current state. Hopefully Stern gives it to one of the newer programmers to fix up while Dwight moves on (or back to Ghostbusters and GoT to finish those).

#1255 4 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

-Even things no one notices like the entire operator menu needed to be revamped to use an LCD display

What revamp of the operator menu? They basically are using the same one as the DMD games. It's nowhere near making use of the extra screen real-estate of the LCD.

4 weeks later
#1297 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

At this point I don’t know man, there’s a lot of stock still sitting with distributors and LEs still readily available with a lot of potential buyers like me sitting on the fence to see how Munsters is going to end up.
The GOT updates also show huge promise for what Dwight might do when he revisits Munsters, I just hope it gets some major theme integration that the theme deserves.

GoT only took 3.5 years to get a reasonable update and its code was in WAY BETTER shape than Munsters. One thing's for sure, Stern needs to get Dwight on a major code overhaul for Munsters or they aren't making any more and it's DoA. Munsters Pro are already frequently down in the mid-low 4's on the secondary market - owners taking a $1000 and up bath to dump it. Premium prices are doing better but only because they're not selling at the asking prices.

Munsters is definitely a wait and see machine. The license and design has lots of potential, but the anemic, "The Kitty Show" boring code is really holding it back. Dwight really shot Stern in the foot by saying publicly he considers it mostly done. It's nowhere near done, and the market knows it. Pricing doesn't lie.

#1304 4 years ago
Quoted from lasermel:

OMG, there are 5 Munsters LE's for sale right here on Pinside including one NIB. Lowest is $7500! Thinking about either making it 6 for sale or putting it in storage for a year or two in hopes that it will become great like Batman did. It's not the first financial bath I've taken on Stern games, and maybe not the last, but I suppose it's the cost of dice rolling on Dream Theme LE's sight unseen just to be able to get one due to the competitive hype that we all get caught up in. I'm finding it too time consuming to change the call-outs using pinball browser, so I'm giving up. I really wish I was one of the guys enjoying the game, but unfortunately I'm not. Too bad too, I really love the look, music, and theme but I don't play it and just don't have space for museum pieces.

You're better off selling and spending 2 years with a game you will enjoy, then circling back and later seeing if Munsters ever got the overhaul it needed. There are PLENTY of great pinball options right now that you will enjoy more while Munsters is worked out over time.

#1306 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

i am only buying after i see what the 1.0 code offers. deadpool is great and i will be on the look out for a bksor.
waiting al to see how jp is after i play it

Like the original Batman'66 code that current Munsters is VERY close to bare-bones code features-wise, Munsters needs a COMPLETE rethink overhaul of the code. That will not happen overnight, if at all. It took 18 months for Batman'66 to START to get better, and it had Lyman on code. Dwight saying he considers it done doesn't help matters.

#1311 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

There’s a lot of stock out there, so I am hopeful Stern/Dwight come back to Munsters and give it the same treatment Dwights just shown to GOT and according to Dwight himself is going to be showing to GB.

Well, you have to bear in mind that Game of Thrones took like 2 years since the last update and 3.5 years since release to get fixed, and it had some pretty significant bugs. Great job with the code update, but 2 years for even bugs fixes is pretty ridiculous. Munsters needs a lot more than GoT, that's for sure. It'll probably be a loooooong wait, if ever.

1 month later
#1327 4 years ago
Quoted from BowlingJim:

We love ours. I think this game gets a bad rap. Set the rules up hard and turn off ball save . It will kick your butt.

Kicking your butt is not equivalent to fun. It CAN be fun, but it doesn't MAKE fun. Munsters is not fun in any current configuration and is almost 1 to 1 matching to the box of lights code Batman '66 had for over a year that still was more fun and less repetitive than Munsters.

#1332 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Fixed it for you.

Just an FYI, changing someone else's quotes is a pinside no-no, even if it's fun/funny. I learned this the hard way. I'd change it or a mod is eventually coming.

#1343 4 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

It doesn’t make sense
He just released new GoT and GB getting one soon, why abandon Munsters?

Maybe sales aren't there and Stern won't give him time to re-do the game code? I know it was literally the fastest pin in to out on the route I help with. Lasted about a month, which was shocking. Terrible earnings, and I've heard similar from other OPs.

2 weeks later
#1368 4 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

I find the game ENTIRELY entertaining and not boring at all. Simple rules don't make a bad game. In fact, they attract newbs.

Well, if there wasn't real-world evidence from routes where Munsters did very poorly with casuals and was pulled pretty quickly, that statement might be debatable. It lasted less than a month at the location I help with. It was the BOTTOM EARNER for that month. That's unheard of for a brand new pin. Other locations have similar stories and no longer have it out. It's bad. Real bad.

#1370 4 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

I really like the game. And....big code update incoming....

Hopefully a complete overhaul. "The Kitty Show" is not fun.

#1372 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Wouldn’t that be more due to the theme having zero resonance with the route players? Usually on route, theme is the pull...casuals don’t know the difference between good and bad games.

Casuals where we are at least will give every new pin put out a try. The theme doesn't matter that much for the regulars, but if it's not fun, they will not keep putting money in. They stopped putting money in Munsters in a record short time. It was a shockingly short route honeymoon. jjPotC currently has the record for longest route honeymoon at almost 10 months and counting (still earning 2x the next nearest pin), while Munsters has the shortest (I didn't clock it to days, but it was less than 1 week before the mediocre earnings fell off a cliff).

#1375 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Guessing that was the Pro? Completely different game than the PreLe and you probably made a mistake if you routed the Pro instead of the PreLe.

If it's NIB at launch, we generally route Stern Pros to get them out immediately, then upgrade it to the Prem/LE when they start shipping a month or more later. Same plan here, except that the Munsters Pro did SO BAD it went and the upgrade to Prem was cancelled. This isn't a Pro/Prem issue, it's a bad code issue. We suffered through the Batman'66 SLE launch, and Munsters is almost exactly point for point as sparse as that initial Batman'66 code.

#1376 4 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

....and for your story of pulling Munsters before really giving it a chance, that you love to repeatedly slam the game as bad with.

It's literally the ONLY GAME we have ever put out where earnings fell off starting the FIRST WEEK and never recovered. It's not like we intended to get rid of it. We had planned to put out a Prem once they were shipping, but the Pro did SO BAD SO FAST that those plans were cancelled. The only time it's ever happened on this route.

Glad your Munsters LE is doing well, but it's an exception, not the rule for Munsters from every other OP I've talked to, and my firsthand route experience with it.

#1387 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

My Munsters pro is doing very well on location at the brewery. I only have 3 pins- 1 GB pro, 2 Star Wars premium , 3 Munsters pro. Munsters makes 90% of what GB earns, so no extreme drop off. If new code come out, that’s fine with me.

It's the newest pin in that lineup, but it makes the least money? Maybe not as bad as what we experienced on the route there, but essentially the same story.

Quoted from DNO:

so, your firsthand experience with an LE/Prem you've never operated?
Maybe just lighten your obvious dislike for this game to bash the PRO?
Glad to see some other ops with the same experience as me, I think the issue might be more of a "pro not earning well' as opposed to " Munsters sucks, and it's the code's fault"
Not saying this game or it's current code is the best ever, but you sure seem to have a desire to bash it and try to drag it down any chance you get.

Look, maybe it's PTSD from Batman'66SLE, but Munsters feels like deja vu all over again. And since I RECOMMENDED bringing the pin in to the OP with the route and we planned on selling the Pro to get a Prem/LE when they shipped, I came in with an extremely positive bias for it. No hate here for the game. However, reality smacked that down, and it comes down to terrible, bare bones code on the Pro and Prem/LE. IF Dwight reconsiders the code being basically finished and they overhauls it like Lyman did to Batman'66, then there's plenty in the mechanical design to work with and it could be very fun. But that's some unknowable future.

#1389 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

I here what you are saying BUT don’t generalize please that every other OP crap. You don’t know every OP and there business in the US.
Common, I expect more from you Vireland.

You're changing what I said. I did not say "every other OP." I literally said every other OP I TALKED TO. Don't change the quote and then chastise the misquote.

Quoted from Who-Dey:

Why would you expect more? Vireland knows it all, haven't you heard?

I don't know pi past 9 digits. I also don't know what I don't know, so that covers quite a lot.

1 week later
#1394 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I guess the over riding question is HOW MANY every other OPs you have talked to. How many, man? 2? 4? 10? 15? Put some real numbers to this.

Six or so, but they are from all over the US, so it's not a CA-only story, and all of them have the underperforming or bad or gone already version of The Munsters story. ALL of them. I'm not saying there can't be locations it works, but I haven't heard of a single location where it rose above middling on location earnings compared to other pins. That's not a success story. And even without the route earnings component, it's clear that the code is bare-bones, in the same category as Batman'66 at release, almost point for point, mode for mode. That's sad.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

12,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,564 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinmonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever?tu=pinmonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.