Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.43.14 AM (resized).png
you-have-chosen-wisely (resized).jpg
F50857BB-03D9-4B08-99E3-855F23907EE6 (resized).jpeg
rim.gif
Annotation 2019-06-03 152929 (resized).png
Resized_20190602_121852.jpeg
Screenshot_20190529-124632_Facebook.jpg
4FF1CF46-5994-4BC1-A7A7-05D2027EEB91.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#319 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Munsters was intentionally coded different to try to grab a different pinball buying group as well as appeal to many of sterns current customers. Dwight was very clear even before Munsters was announced that his next game was going to be more of a throwback to the 90's style of code and much simpler then his previous games.

The biggest problem with this is that you could easily have both - a throwback game that appeals to novices and a deep game to satisfy home users or good/great players. Add some depth past the current 2/3 levels and add new modes/rules when you get there. I’d have zero problems with the code (or committing to buy a Premium) if that was the case.

#339 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The most fun if the game is trying to stack up the jackpots and getting your multipliers built up and cashing them in ... its all about the jackpots.

And that is exactly the problem with the code. One trick pony. What a waste of a beautiful game.

#346 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Everyone has a right to their opinion but i still think the game is very fun to play and like i said, its only been out 3 months so it may get better. I know Dwight said its pretty much done but if they tell him to do more than he will have to do more whether he wants to or not. Who knows what will happen.

“If they tell him to do more?” You are in denial if you think this has any reasonable chance of happening. There hasn’t ever been a game where Stern has told a lead programmer to do more than what the programmer decided was necessary. And Dwight isn’t Lyman. If Dwight says it’s essentially done we aren’t seeing any significant code additions.

If it happens I’ll gladly buy one. But there is absolutely nothing to indicate Stern has any intent to beef up Munsters code and those that keep saying “just wait” clearly aren’t paying attention.

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

my distributor told me Stern was going to do a substantial "rework update" on Munsters.

If true then it means what I’ve said before is happening - code status is negatively impacting game sales to the point Stern feels the need to act. But this needs to be announced/committed in a Stern of the Union or something public/official otherwise this could be seen as a distributor (or two) doing damage control to move stock or placate existing customers. There are plenty of people willing to buy and give Stern the benefit of the doubt on code (see the statements and history of Batman 66) so there is certainly precedent.

I hope it’s true - Munsters should be a “shut up and take my money” game but there must be a significant portion of potential buyers sitting on the sidelines because they are wary of the code. (I can’t help but wonder what Ghostbusters owners will think if a Munsters rework happens before their long-promised update though).

I’m not buying based on a distributor repeating what may just be a rumor or wishful thinking. But show me the code and I’m ordering. And maybe some of those who sold their games super fast may buy another Munsters NIB too.

#357 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You don't have to like the game but this game is far better than you give it credit for. Also if you dont like it why do you complain about it so much? Maybe because you like the theme and hope that they will make the game better so you can get one? I hope thats not why you keep hanging around because you said yourself that they will never make the code any better.

You are so blinded by your incessant pumping that you must not read or comprehend the words I’ve written in various Munsters threads. I even made same comment about the ST code you mention.

I waited for Munsters for a long time. I wrote a number of early favorable reviews based on art and layout. I soured on the game only after Dwight made it very clear the code at release was pretty much all we were going to get. If that is no longer true than it’s only because Stern sees it impacting their bottom line. They aren’t going to make a significant investment in programming effort simply because a few people complain the code is shallow.

I like the game. I want to love it enough to pay $7k+ for one and have it in my collection for a long time. You are an avowed and self-admitted Stern fanboy who thinks they can do no wrong and that Munsters is the greatest thing since sliced bead. I get that. I’m a realist not willing to give Stern a pass even though I really love the theme and want Munsters to be a game worthy of my desire.

#376 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Congrats, YOU aren't buying. Nobody cares.

Congrats. YOU totally missed the point.

There are clearly plenty of people who aren’t buying simply because of the code and if the rumors of Stern reversing course and planning a significant code update then Stern certainly cares.

(And I am buying when the code improves past “collect jackpots” and is worthy of a game that should be a perfect fit for me)

#377 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I really want a LE. I would like to try a pro now that I’ve only been playing LE version.

The Pro plays noticeably faster because there is no impact of the ball traveling over the playfield window or the change when going into the lab. I really enjoyed shooting the Pro and prefer the art package to that of the LE.

If you can get over the $1600-$1700 difference I think the Premium is the best of both. That’s the one I want. The black/white art is far more stunning in person than in pictures/videos and really does the theme justice. And the lower playfield can be disabled on the Premium/LE for those times you just want to shoot fast and furious.

#383 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I'm just bustin' on you, but to spend an extra $1700 to to turn off a major feature ('cause it sucks?), then to spend the whole game avoiding doing the one thing in the game you want to do... sounds like a blast and well worth the bucks.

I agree with you - I think it’s worth the extra bucks.

I like the lower PF, especially when flippers are set to soft. Just think it would be fun to disable it from time to time and enjoy the frenzy of the main level. I would probably keep it active most of the time.

However I think the Pro is one of the better recent Pros and if you had to have color, wanted to save some $, or just think the lower PF is too gimmicky it’s a good choice (when you are happy with the code). When my wife and I first saw/played the Pro and Premium we both liked the Premium better even though we thought the lower PF might get old. But I also really enjoyed the flow of the Pro. If the Pro had the black/white art package we might have ordered it on the spot (that was before the now infamous comment by Dwight on the code)

#384 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I can't understand WHY oh WHY so many are for sale...

Talk to the sellers. Most I’ve talked to/communicated with give an innocuous reason publicly but privately say the code has a lot to do with it. There have been/are some great deals out there if you want a lightly used game and are fine with existing game play. I’ve been tempted by a few, but think I’ll go NIB if I like where the code settles.

Of course that doesn’t count those few that sell early no matter what to fund Black Knight or whatever the latest game is.

#392 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think the LE’s are all sold out unless you can find one used. The black and white looks the coolest anyways so just get a NIB premium.

NIB LEs are still available, but the Premium does look cooler.

(As for your “Baloney” comment ... go play a Pro and a Premium that are side by side. It’s pretty obvious. And physics).

#403 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Quit whining about code
It’s not finished yet. And my distro said they are planning a significant rework
If they want to sell more games to people like you they will follow through. If not, on to the next

This is a thread created to discuss the code, despite the ridiculous hyperbole in the title, where the vast majority of the posters what the code to be more than it is.

Nobody is whining; simply stating facts, opinions and suggestions on how to make the code better. You and a few others seem to be upset that anyone has he audacity to question or be concerned by the state of the code or the possibility that the reason Stern might be planning a “significant rework” (as you claim) is because Munsters sales are slowing and/or below expectations.

As I said earlier in a post you downvoted what your distributor told you is meaningless without confirmation from Stern.

#404 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That is a legit concern
I did the same thing with AfmR
Got old but enjoyed it while she was around

Oh, the irony. You win the award for the most hypocritical post in this thread.

#407 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Dude..... I own the game. Get it?
And they aren’t “facts”. Just your interpretation
And not a good one
So I’m discussing how wrong you are
My distro who buys a ton of pins actually talks to Gary. Is that hard to understand?

Yes, I get it. I’m sorry if the point was too complex for you to understand.

And obviously reading comprehension is not your strong suit. I said people were stating “facts, opinions and suggestions on how to make the code better”, not that everything I said was fact.

If you are refering to my opinion that Stern would undertake a significant code revision after the led programmer stated the code was essentially done because sales weren’t meeting projections:
(a) what makes you think that’s not a reasonable assumption and
(b) if you don’t think it’s reasonable, what other reason(s) do you think Stern would have to make such a drastic about face?

My distro also buys a ton of pins and has a terrific relationship with both Stern and Gary personally. So what? If yours has such a good relationship he should know that Gary doesn’t call those shots anymore. That withstanding, that doesn’t mean the rumor of a code update isn’t true. What I said was that if true Stern should make that known in a method more wide ranging than a third hand anecdote or two.

If notice of a substantial code update comes in an email blast from Stern, a post on the Stern Insiders page or as part of a Stern of the Union then what your distributor told you is probably true. Until then it’s an unsubstantiated opinion. Is that so hard to understand?

#413 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Where does this news come from? What are the projections supposed to be? AFAIK, Stern does not release sales figures. So when people start talking on pinside about sales projections being exceeded or being less than optimal I wonder where the info comes from and if it can be vetted.

It is not news. It was my opinion as to why Stern might undertake major code update after Dwight announced the code was essentially complete.

To do so costs time, money and potentially disrupts other projects so Stern needs a good reason to do so. It’s only logical that if Munsters sales and projected sales were meeting whatever the internal expectations are there would be no good business reason to do it (unless they put a significant value on customer goodwill)

I certainly don’t know Stern’s numbers (and I doubt even the largest distributors know) but I know from the distributors I’ve spoken to that their sales after the LE rush were not what they expected. Of course that’s as irrelevant as someone saying their distributor said Stern was going do major rework on the code.

#414 4 years ago

iceman44 You’re so convinced I’m wrong yet you’re stumped by two simple questions?

If you think you have a better explanation than mine for why Stern would do what you are claiming they are, I’m sure many here would like to read it, myself included.

#415 4 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

LE owner here, I love the layout, yet feel the Munsters can/should have so much more potential code wise, 70 episodes of material to work with but not being used.
J Borg makes great layouts but it seems to me when he is done he moves on to the next game and leaves it to the coder to finish, With a SR pinball he seems to have a lot of input into the code and direction of how he wants the game to be. eg ST,GoT,SW all great coded games by Dwight.

The Borg comment surprises me a bit.

I spoke to John at length at TPF about Munsters after his seminar and he was very animated about Munsters being a dream theme for him and clearly disappointed that a number of mechs were cut/changed from his design (the trap door, drop targets and an undescribed mystery mech).

Given the amount of time he went through episodes looking for ideas and things to use you would think he would have had input into game play design. But maybe he was overruled by George or other decision makers just as he lost out on the mechanical issues.

#421 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I just gotta ask, why did you spend $8500 dollars on a game that you hate? Stern didnt fuck you at all, you fucked yourself by buying a game that you don't like. You had plenty of time to go find one out in the wild to play before you took ownership of your LE, and there were plenty of streams to watch to get an idea if you liked this game enough to buy.

Who-Dey I agree with your premise here, but in fairness with most Stern titles LE buyers are put in the position where they pretty much have to commit to the game in the first few days / week after announce and very few have the opportunity to play any version of the game before putting down a deposit on an LE (which a number of dealers now make non-refundable after 2-3 days). This was certainly true with the initial hype and excitement surrounding Munsters and Stern increasing LEs from 500 to 600. LE buyers generally take a leap of faith. (Look at Batman 66 LE/SLE - most took a two year gamble). And it’s mostly on playfield and mechanical design and art because the code has never been feature complete at release on any Spike title.

You are absolutely right though when it comes a Pro or a Premium - no reason to buy without playing one first. And I agree I don’t think it’s fair to say Stern fucked anyone on Munsters - but it’s pretty clear that many who bought assuming the release code was just a base are disappointed and were hoping to see much more variety and theme immersion in game play.

ozno is right - the code as it now stands is uninventive. It’s passable and accomplished what Dwight apparently had in mind but code expectations have changed in 20 years, especially in the LCD era. There are plenty of suggestions in this thread on how it can be improved. I’m really hoping that Stern will implement some of them.

#430 4 years ago

Why people buy most Stern LEs is a really good question because most offer little real value over a Premium and an LE run of 500/600/700 isn’t really limited.

But there are some key reasons people go with LEs;
- they prefer the art package and/or trim options
- they want to get the game “first” (LEs generally built before Premiums)
- Pros considered too stripped down by LE buyers
- some people want specific numbers and/or the cachet of having a “Limited Edition”

I believe, with a few exceptions, Stern LEs are money-grabs. Two that come to mind actually worth the LE price difference were Star Trek (far superior art package and upgrades though certainly not “limited” at 799 units) and Batman 66 (included the awesome topper and were actually limited to 240 units worldwide). And, unlike most LEs, these two have generally held their value.

For me, the most important choice in deciding on an LE is the art package. I cancelled my Munsters LE early because I liked the LE art the least of the three and REALLY liked the Premium black/white when I saw it in person. I believe I dodged a bullet (because of the code situation). But if the LE had been the black/white art, I’d have kept my order and be an owner bitching about the code rather than a potential buyer hoping for better code.

(Not considering JJP LEs here - they are more “luxury” than “limited” and the price difference between a Standard and LE is pretty much justified by the extras, assuming you want them).

#433 4 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Good for you every body knows you feel you dodged a bullet
So let it go and go buy Wonka with the cash man

Can’t believe that was your main takeaway from that post, but ok ...

I’d much prefer to get a Munsters Premium. Toy Story and Elvira 3 interest me a lot. Wonka would be 4th on the list, it looks fun to shoot but I can only reasonably afford the cash/space for one, maybe two. So my buying plans are on hold until I see if Munsters code gets more robust. I really like the Munsters theme and not willing to “let it go” yet though a desirable Elvira LE before an improved Munsters will probably force the issue.

1 week later
#568 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

And then there's the people that bought it, recognized the familiar stench of the Batman'66 launch state and said "aw, hell no!"

No such thing. That continues to be a figment of your imagination.

Batman 66 was a special case that Stern was VERY upfront with at the Expo launch and they made it super clear the game was going to launch with “box of lights” alpha level code and take time to evolve. Only a few people (like you) who didn’t pay attention and bitched constantly were actually upset.

You were upset at Stern only because they did EXACTLY what they said they were going to do. Yes, many were annoyed it took longer than expected but George made good on the promise that the code wasn’t going to be done until he and Lyman were happy with it.

If Batman were delayed a year or two probably no Adam West signed cards or meet and greet. Certainly no pics of him playing the machine at launch. There are many who sold their games early (especially LEs) that are kicking themselves now.

That is very unlikely to be the case with Munsters because Stern/Dwight did EXACTLY what they said they were going to do - a game with simple, approachable code reminiscent of 90s code. If that eventually changes, Pro and Premium sales will go up (probably significantly), just like sales of Batman Premiums went up after the code matured.

#604 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

It would be interesting to know how many pins Stern can produce and ship in one day. Backlog and pipeline fill would also be nice numbers to know.

I believe it’s about 50 pins per day

#669 4 years ago

This doesn’t seem to bode well for anyone on the sidelines waiting for more robust code before buying.

#687 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Code is just simple on Munsters.
Great pin all around. I just think it was coded to walk up and drop some coins in play have fun until the next time you play it on location. Depth to code is the issue. 20-30 mins and you are done. That’s for some is ok!
I really enjoy playing Munster.

I really enjoy playing Munsters too. On location. For a few dollars.

20-30 minutes and done at home doesn’t do it for me. Especially for $5k-$7k.

#696 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

2nd) If Stern were to revisit Munsters, has it set the pattern for all future pins? Announce, presell, release, and wait for everybody who thinks changes need to be made. Would revisiting future releases be expected? I suppose you could say it "depends on the code", but that is my point. If Sterns addresses all of the concerns here-----will the code on any future new release ever be good enough?

Stern should have a pretty good idea by now if their sales targets are being met. They also have a pretty good idea that there are a number of buyers sitting on the sidelines ready to buy Munsters with more robust code or want a color Premium. Whether they continue to invest in Munsters depends entirely on those numbers.

Stern saw the importance of robust code with Batman 66. Like most games the LE versions sold early to the hardcore must haves but relatively few Premiums were sold until about a year in when the code started to get interesting and since then BM66 Premium sales have been pretty robust (as evidenced by the unexpected additional Premium runs). Not factoring in the Catwoman Signature Edition because I really don’t see how that significantly helps anything.

If Stern is happy with Munster sales volumes and trends after the color Premium orders are filled I don’t think they will bother with any major code upgrade and Munsters will remain in the normal production rotation as scheduled. If not (and/or BKSOR demand is weak) Stern may upgrade Munsters code to get the unit projections to meet/exceed original projections.

#697 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Pretty much sure Stern will never let Dwight or anyone else explain code as “shallow” again

Watch the Stern making of video. Nicely done. But Dwight calls the code deep, not shallow.

I feel sorry for Borg. He clearly has a passion for the title. It must be frustrating to see near universal acclaim and interest in the game at launch and then watch demand fall off the cliff after people realized what Dwight was going to do with the code (or not do).

#703 4 years ago
Quoted from Greenandwhite:

When so many are eager to order before they have even played the pin what’s Stern’s motivation for shipping w the code complete? They crank out games, themes, and execute on deliveries. Efficiency is great but not if quality, code, or fun are missing. The only part that appeals to me is the B/W play field and artwork.

I wrote this in the Dark Night for Stern thread a while back:

“I'm no longer going to buy a game for what it might become in the future or what a company tells me they are going to do. Actions speak louder than words. I'm going to be buying on what I get today, not promises of what I'll get tomorrow.”

I’m following my own advice for both Munsters and Elvira. Hope the code will be good enough for me on at least one of them. I have a preference for the Munsters but unfortunately don’t think that’s going to happen.

#713 4 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

But I am baffled by the haters on this title. I think people are over thinking pinball. And their expectations on what pinball should be.

I have seen very few posts from people who truly hate Munsters. The vast majority of critics like/love almost every aspect of the game but are extremely disappointed with the code and level of asset use. And many of those people speak out because they really want the game in their collections. I think the new Black Knight game suffers from some of the same issues but I really don’t care because I’m not interested or invested theme (but recognize that others are).

Expectations of pinball have risen with prices. 90’s level code suitable for a DMD game doesn’t cut it twenty plus years later in the LCD era at the prices Stern charges for new games.

#716 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

As others have said it's the theme integration that needs to improve. Stern has the assets to the show, use more of them! Theme integration is partially what helps bring a theme in a pinball machine to life. Hearing few and repeated callouts gets old. Ideally there should be unique callouts from the show for each character mode and for each level of Munster Madness. I understand that Stern wanted to create a more simple / straightforward ruleset with Munsters. That's cool. However, there's no excuse for not loading the game up with a wide variety of assets from the show.

Look at the making of video. They clearly did the work to identify assets that would be good to use (and many are in the software, just unused). That’s what makes this even sadder. Not expecting Batman 66 level integration but there’s plenty of room for improvement.

#721 4 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Why not? There is no reason to lower expectations based on other games or coders. Games have become exorbitantly expensive in the last few years.. We shouldn't settle for mediocrity. Unfortunately, until people stop impulse buying games, Stern has no incentive to put more effort into the development.

I would *love* to see the same level of theme integration. But as much as I agree that Stern should put more into development, the reality is that Dwight isn’t anywhere near the type of passionate code designer/programmer that Lyman (or Keith at JJP) is. I don’t know if we will ever see another game from Stern with the level of theme integration in Batman 66 because it was special to Lyman and George and kind of a one off (anniversary showcase, SLE, etc.)

I don’t think Stern will give other teams the extra time needed to bring other games to that level. Maybe occasionally, but not every title.

Unfortunately my expectations on Stern game code have been lowered and the Munsters release further solidified them. Right now, if Lyman isn’t on it, it’s far more of a crap shoot then it should be. I hope that changes, but I’m not banking on it.

#724 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I do think it’s unfortunate that Dwight is being painted as lazy. My interactions with him have been minimal, Stern cut me off a long time ago, but I was briefly beta testing Star Trek code before that. I got nothing but the impression that he cared.
Have you read his old blog posts about making pinball? He sweated a lot of details in it.
Maybe he’s a bad fit for for this game. Maybe he’s only been given a limited amount of time to work on it. Maybe licensing is more of a headache than people know.

Fair points. There is a difference between Dwight being lazy and Stern being lazy with the code. Dwight did a good job fixing the mess that ST was and brought much to the game. But the GB code fiasco and now Munsters doesn’t do his reputation any favors, regardless of where the actual fault lies.

#726 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I’m basically bored with license slapping. Munsters feels like a prime example. Take something people are nostalgic for, do a good art package (glad we get good art now) and get the fans to buy.
But then that seems to be it. There isn’t enough love and care out into actually making the fans hype. Maybe you need someone on the team who’s a big fan themselves.

Well, Borg IS a big fan of the Munsters, but that clearly wasn’t enough.

As for license slapping, I agree 100%. Sadly, I suspect Stern will continue that until they close their doors. But imagine what the teams could do if they were given total freedom to build their version of GOAT with an unlicensed theme that could stand the test of time.

#731 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

The audio/visual part is the real failure right? I haven’t played it, but I’ve also never even watched the show, I’d be a terrible judge.
But what I’m hearing is people want more quotes, more clips, more things that represent the big scenes.

Yes, that would go a long way though I think there has to be more to game play than the one trick “press your luck with jackpots” strategy. Other than the multitude of match sequences there’s very little focus on actual characters callouts/video/audio.

#743 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Agree, except I would buy a Keith coded game.
Maiden is as good a game as any game done in the past - code wise.
It helps if you like the music and can accept the lack of playfield toys.

Good to know. Haven’t played IM because i don’t like the theme (or music pins in general)

#765 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

I can’t imagine Stern is going to leave it as is, even though good, because they’ll be making it for the next 3 to 4 years. They’ve added so many good features to Batman, so why won’t they do the same for Munsters?

If this is a serious question, you haven’t been following Stern very well. First, although code versioning is still somewhat arbitrary, a few years ago Stern changed to a convention where a code level at 1.0 or above was considered “feature complete” meaning that, for the most part, game play design was complete and that the only additions likely after that were critical system updates, bug fixes and perhaps some polish. This was a change made by Stern to help buyers understand how “complete” Stern believed the code was for any particular game and it was a welcome move.

The Batman code progression and reasons behind it has been well documented. I won’t go into to all of the detail here, but give you two milestones. It was originally released in December 2016 with code at level 0.57. It wasn’t until November 2018 when it was deemed feature complete at 1.00. 23 months from initial alpha level code to release level. Since then, just cleanup and polish. (I don’t think we will ever see a game released again from Stern with such an early version of code).

Munsters was released in December 2018 with version .81 though most didn’t play the code until the January .90 level. Around that time, Dwight said the code was essentially complete. 1.00 came out in May 2019. 6 months from initial to release level code. (Slightly unfair comparison since the initial levels were so far apart in their versioning).

Read through the READMEs for both (and other recent) games. It provides interesting insight into game development as you watch the progression.

You ask “why they won’t do the same with Munsters?”, presumably meaning make the existing code more robust and theme immersive. Because in each case Stern has now provided what is considered by the new definition of release level/1.00 code a “feature complete” game.

Could this change with Munsters? Sure. Stern may decide they left too much money on the table by focusing the code on the casual novice location player rather than the collector community and revisit the situation. But history over the past few years suggests that The Munsters code is pretty much done. I would love to be wrong, but am not holding my breath for any significant changes and I’m pretty confident Munsters will never have the depth and level of theme integration that Batman has.

#766 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im with you and i want to see more also because this pin deserves it. I like it as is but if they put some more thought into it and added a few things it could be one of the greatest games ever. It literally could be Sterns Monster Bash.

And yet you keep bashing those of us who don’t own the game that have pretty much been saying exactly the same thing ...

#805 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I wish potential buyers like you and JFH would tell your distributor and email as many people as possible over at Stern.

I’ve made it very clear to both, but I’m just one guy. But, like most things, the people that will speak out on an issue are typically a fraction of the people that feel the same way.

Who know how many potential sales it would take to move the needle at Stern. Hundreds? Thousands? But whatever the number, Stern has already lost some percentage of those potential sales as those with limited space and/or funds move on to consider newer games.

#834 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The code is actually very good and anyone who says any different doesn't understand the gameplay. I just think people want a little more to do. I would agree with someone if they say "this code is too shallow"

Of course it doesn’t have the worst code ever. That is hyperbole from the OP. But you say the code is “very good” and would agree that it is “too shallow”. That makes no sense. Besides you who believes code that is too shallow is very good (or even a good thing)?

The Munsters code was made shallow on purpose apparently to be more approachable for location players. Who exactly? The 25 year old couple you mention that has no idea of who The Munsters are? They are likely to be in the age group for most locations but if they can’t relate to the theme it won’t matter much no matter how “approachable” the code is.

Stern wants to maintain the fiction that operator sales are the still the driver in the industry. Operators care about return on investment. Period. People who don’t know Munsters might play once or twice but aren’t coming back. People who do say “that’s it?”. They may play a few more games just to hear the music and see a few clips but there is nothing to bring them back if they don’t like the one trick pony collect stacked jackpots ruleset (which is a strange idea anyway since most for whom this approachable code was designed for don’t have a clue that the way to do well is to use the zap button to not collect jackpots).

If you have a deep game it can still be approachable and fun for a location player. Maybe they never see all of the game (can you say Wizard of Oz?). But a shallow game is very rarely going to be enough for the segment of the market that LEs (and a good percentage of Premiums) are sold to - what Gary likes to call “the enthusiasts”. For them “shallow” <> “very good”

#839 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Sorry but i disagree totally with you. Shallow code does not mean bad code. Is MM, MB, AFM, TAF, TOM, TOTAN etc bad games? They all have shallow code too but they are loved by everyone.

Those games have shallow code by today’s definition. When they came out most of those were considered pretty much as deep as you could get (maybe not TOM or TOTAN)

And I didn’t say shallow code was bad code. I was pointing out that you equated the Munsters shallow code with very good code.

#840 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I think retirees, as myself, are the sleeper market that Stern is looking for. We are not working. We have some cash.

If I am right on this retiree stuff, in about 10 years when we all started dying off, there are going to be some great pinball deals to be had for all of the young whipper snappers. Munsters might be a dime a dozen

If you have managed to read this far I applaud you.
For the better players that crave more of a challenge, I understand your frustration because it is a cool pin. I hope Stern heeds your call.

Well, I’m pretty much retired so I’m more retiree than whippersnapper.

I read the entire post and the backstory provides good context to why you have an LE. I get it. I love the shots and art (though not the LE). The Munsters should be a perfect fit for my collection. There are lots of people for whom the code is fine as is; I’m just not one of them. I’m not a great player. I play to have fun. Although Munsters belongs in my game room, I’m not going to buy a game that will annoy me every time I press ‘Start’ because the theme integration and variety of game play are so lacking.

I’m got giving up hope that I’ll use one of the autographed Pro or Premium translites I had autographed by Butch, Pat and the design team at TPF. (Munsters is the main reason I went this year), but I’m not holding my breath for more deserving code either.

#858 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The lower playfield is the best lower playfield in pinball history.

If you don’t count Haunted House or Black Hole as part of pinball history ...

#862 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The "new pin honeymoon" cash bump that usually lasts a month or more lasted a week or two with Munsters, then earnings fell off a cliff.

This seems to be a common refrain from the operators I know or have heard from. Munsters simply isn’t earning as expected. Most home buyers will say “who cares?” but everyone should be asking “why not?”

Approachability of game play only goes so far for a game if it doesn’t earn for operators. Most aren’t going to wait around for code to get better (if that’s the problem). They sell the game and move on to something else and maybe buy back down the road in if there is a significant improvement. Operating pins is all about ROI. Munsters isn’t delivering.

#864 4 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

We see operators everywhere doing well with this title. Also I know for a fact this one is in high demand and orders are backed up ..

Always happy to be proven wrong with real world data. I’m not an operator so I don’t have any to share. But I also have no reason to believe that people are lying to me when they say the game isn’t doing well for them.

How do you quantify “doing well?” If it isn’t meeting or exceeding projections, it isn’t doing well.

As for orders being backed up - I have no idea what that means. Sure seems to be plenty of inventory available. My recent conversations about Munsters certainty didn’t give me an impression that Stern has any unexpected demand (didn’t talk much about the color Premium). I would *love* to see an increase in demand for The Munsters and for it to become a huge hit.

#867 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Theme matters on location and most of the people playing location pinball are not older people. Younger people dont know who the Munsters even is for the most part and its just not a theme that they like. Also with the exception of a few locations, I don’t think any pinball earns that well because most people just aren’t interested in it anymore like they used to be back in the day.

Agree 100%. As for pinball earnings you absolutely cannot compare the any period before 2000 to today. The dynamics are just so different. What might be considered good today certainly wouldn’t then (relatively speaking).

And you are probably close on the 90% number too. Which begs the question - if Stern didn’t expect the game to do well on location where draw is weighted more to theme than code why not focus on areas that matter more to the home buyer like depth of theme integration and code? That’s what always puzzled me about Dwight’s statement of why the code is the way it is.

More approachable and/or “shallower” code on a game whose theme appeals to 20 somethings makes sense for a variety of reasons. Not so much with a theme like Munsters which is more likely to appeal to Pinside types and collectors.

#868 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

well i think this brings up a larger point about rating pins and really the top 100 pins on this forum. i never gave any value tp thr top as there are not any ratings on specific items. its just a popularity list.
games should be approachable. i always felt that there should be some level of succes by an newbie but also have enougj depth to keep a better player to come back for more. theme, soundx animation and also the rating of skill level of the player.
when i was a noob i loved data east and BOP was dream game. when i got better my taste changed in what I enjoyed.

Yes, but as a noob you are probably just playing games, not buying them.

And Pinside rankings have devolved to the point where, as you say, they are little more than an indicator of popularity of relatively new releases over a pretty short period of time. I stopped paying attention to them a long time ago.

#887 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

in a saturated market, collectors are looking for reasons to not buy games.

That may be true with other recent games, but not Munsters. There are a bunch of people that are looking FOR reasons to buy Munsters but can’t take that step yet because of the code.

Think of us as Marilyn’s potential boyfriends. We love everything about and want her but are scared away.

And FWIW - as much as I would love the rumors of Stern reworking the code to be true, I have reason to believe that started with some distributors just trying to move games and that (at least currently) there are no such plans in place.

#894 4 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

I love how such an "apparent" woeful game is so captivating that it has 3 threads running, two of which are massive and continues to get daily comments across its threads ......and that, months after release.
BK SoR has around half of this attention, yet is according to many a great fast pin with awesome animations etc etc etc
Just find that interesting.

Perhaps because there is more passion for the Munsters game/theme. I have no interest in ever owning BKSOR so I only have a passing interest in that game. Munsters clearly has a fan base of those for who it’s good enough AND one that desperately wants Munsters to be the game it can and should be.

#898 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

i want to play it over and over and over. Shallow code but its still very addicting.

Come on. Admit it. You just like to hear the awesome renditions of the theme music over and over. That’s addicting.

1 week later
#957 4 years ago

I’m guessing Stern would need a few hundred of similar letters to even consider it.

#984 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

and literally cant stop playing it.

Or pumping it.

#993 4 years ago

Assuming Munsters code doesn’t get an overhaul, Elvira may be my last Stern game. I may look at other games but can’t think of any themes Stern would do that I’d consider and I’d be very wary of any game not coded by Lyman. And I’m just ignoring anything by Dwight unless I’m OK with the code at time of purchase. Sad, but if Stern doesn’t take code seriously I’m not going to take them seriously.

#996 4 years ago
Quoted from hassellcastle:

Y’all are complaining about Munsters code like the ball has been completely dropped. Disappointed in the codes current state.
Come on guys and gals, this game has literally only been on the market since February for the most part. Early April if you purchased a Premium, so were talking 2-3 months now.
Have you not learned from how many years now on pinside that most all games receive several updates weeks, months, years after they’ve been released?
Seriously look back at TWD, Kiss, xMen, WPT, Metallica and most especially BM66 and look how much better those games turned out. It happened... it will happen, but you’ve got to have patience and know it won’t happen overnight.

Can’t compare Munsters to BM66 - Stern was very clear at announce (Expo) that Batman code would take a long time but it would not be finished until Lyman was happy.

As for Munsters - Dwight all but said right after release that the code was done. It’s already at 1.0 - Stern’s new convention for “feature complete”.

Munsters isn’t happening overnight because it’s almost certainly not happening at all. If the recent email from Stern are to be believed, they are happy with Munsters sales. If so, no incentive to invest resources in reworking the code.

#1021 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

If Elvira could be your last Stern game, where will you go? American Pinball and Houdini? Oktoberfest? Chicago Gaming for AFMr and MBr? Spooky Pinball? It is not like there are a multitude of shopping options.

Most likely JJP, but would consider new games from any manufacturer.

My game room is full of favorites so I will really have to like a game/theme for a new one to come in since it will replace a game everyone loves. There are very few existing games or possible themes that would move the needle for me. Munsters was perfect, but Stern screwed it up. I’ve got high hopes for Elvira 3; would love to see it beside EATPM and SS. A JJP Toy Story done well will get a “buy it now” from the family.

I don’t need to buy any more Stern games NIB and I’m not going to just settle for a game with a theme with so-so code.

#1030 4 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Have you bought a large number of NIB Stern pinballs??

No, only three. Monopoly, STLE, BM66LE.
Other NIB purchases: MM, RFM, SWE1, Hobbit, AMH

Still have MM, RFM STLE and BM66LE. None of those likely to leave.

1 week later
#1122 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Spoken with insiders whom say it is now selling like hot cakes.

Your insiders must be drinking some really strong stuff with those hot cakes.

Munsters sales plummeted after the initial LE rush. Hardly any interest in the new color Premium. Plenty of NIB stock for Pro/Premiums and lots of lightly used games for sale in the secondary market. Unless Stern beefs up the code expect tepid demand for the game.

The good news is that if you want one they should be easy to find and you should be able to find a deal pretty easily, at least in the US.

#1228 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yes i have a source but i will never say who it is sorry.

I’m not sure if I would trust your source going forward. Or maybe they have a different definition of what “selling well” means than most.

Munsters sold very well at launch with the LE frenzy and increase from 500 to 600. Been collecting dust ever since. No additional runs yet (not counting the color Premium, of which there are still plenty available). And that doesn’t count lost sales from people who really want Munsters but just can’t pull the trigger because of code.

Sadly, Munsters is a sales dud and will likely remain that way unless Stern reworks the code. I suspect it will quietly fade from the sales rotation earlier than expected unless a forthcoming game also misses badly.

And if Elvira 3 is a hit, Munsters is probably toast since the two titles appeal to the same general demographic.

2 months later
#1345 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

GOT &amp; GB were great themes that sold a ton of units. Munsters was a marketing misfire. Still could have been a great game, but for theme recognition &amp; sales, the buyers/players aren’t there.

Sales stopped almost dead in their tracks as soon as Dwight said the code was “throwback” and “was essentially done”. There was no shortage of interested buyers (look at the increase in LEs almost immediately). Now it’s a chicken and egg thing. Sales are dead until the code improves and Stern won’t invest more money because sales are dead. And the demand window may be closing - Elvira will almost certainly some of those potential Munsters sales.

#1348 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah I think the B&amp;W Prem is one of the best looking games ever &amp; I loved the show when I was a kid ...but I don’t like the rules, so...

I was locked and loaded for the B&W Premium. Stunning game. Decided to wait because my wife was unimpressed with early code and she reminded me I had said buy the game for how it is, not what it might become. So I waited. Still waiting.

So disappointed in the code, especially after hearing Borg talk about what a dream theme this was for him and the incredible amount of research he did through the episodes. This could have been a monster hit (no pun intended). Instead it will be remembered as a flame out failure with great shots, great art and what-could-have-been code.

I prefer Munsters to Elvira, but it’s far more likely I will buy Elvira 3 than Munsters unless there is an awesome Munsters code drop in the next few months. It’s so sad that Stern just flat out dropped the ball.

1 month later
#1395 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

it's clear that the code is bare-bones, in the same category as Batman'66 at release, almost point for point, mode for mode. That's sad.

What’s sad is that you put Munsters release code in the same category as Batman release code. It’s been years and you still can’t admit you were wrong in complaining about Batman when Stern told everyone at Expo exactly what to expect.

Munsters was essentially complete at release per Dwight. Batman was barely playable.

However, your point about Munsters doing relatively poorly on location is pretty much right on, though not sure that matters to most of the collectors here.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever?tu=jfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.