Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.43.14 AM (resized).png
you-have-chosen-wisely (resized).jpg
F50857BB-03D9-4B08-99E3-855F23907EE6 (resized).jpeg
rim.gif
Annotation 2019-06-03 152929 (resized).png
Resized_20190602_121852.jpeg
Screenshot_20190529-124632_Facebook.jpg
4FF1CF46-5994-4BC1-A7A7-05D2027EEB91.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Durzel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#676 4 years ago

Truly 1.00.0 was a colossal update from the Gods.

Those people who judged it pre 1.00.0 or sold their pin before this motherlode must surely be really kicking themselves, for sure..

#785 4 years ago

That assumes there would even be a consensus on "what's missing". Simply saying "it's shallow" doesn't really cut it.

Also, until such time as people actually stop buying these things on day 1, in whatever state they are released, simply because it's new and shiny, rather than threatening that they won't, then Stern have absolutely no motivation at all to waste money - because that's what it is - on development time adding new features etc.

It's not as if these pins are a subscription where you can vote with your wallet, people are giving Stern thousands of dollars based on what is released, and some forlorn hope that they might improve the code significantly in the future. My advice would be simply NOT give Stern money if you're unhappy with what they are delivering to you on day 1 - including the code it ships with. Otherwise you're at the mercy of whatever they give you, if anything, because they already have your money and you don't have any leverage.

2 weeks later
#959 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Just sent this letter to Stern and I hope many more of you will also:
Dear_________,
I’m still wondering and I’m sure it’s a fairly big issue about Munsters code being considered shallow. Are there any plans to deepen (add show based modes) the code?
For location play, it’s fine, but for a home environment I know of a dozen or more people personally that won’t buy the table even though you’ve designed it so well to be a classic player. I’m concerned about that too. To have staying power in the home, we need plenty Munsters based series theme integrated video modes and not just be a “jackpot” coded focus, which is now.
Since Munsters is such a great theme and should be equal to Lyman’s effort coding Batman, what can we do to encourage Stern to have Dwight put more effort in making it more show mode based, with a deeper code set?
At such current day high prices, this will sell many more tables, as I’ve spoken to many friends that keep telling me that I shouldn’t buy or they won’t buy till code is deepened. They all wish to buy if the code improves. Do we have any hope that this will happen?
Again thanks for your awesome work on Munsters, it shoots like a dream, we just need code to match.
If enough of us write in about this issue and not just complain about it here, Stern will listen. Here’s hoping that many of you will join the campaign to make Munsters the future classic table it should become.
Cheers!

Not trolling but surely you bought Munsters based on what it was, not what it could be?

You were never promised deep code. Why did you buy it if you wanted or expected deep code? There were plenty of opportunities to see what it was like to play either on online reviews, or on location somewhere. You don't have to jump in with both feet and then ask what should've been pre-purchase questions later...

Do you habitually blindly throw money at something at the idea of what it could be, rather than the reality of what it currently is?

Also Stern have got zero incentive to spend money on code development

when they already have your money, and that will never change so long as people buy every new pin they churn out sight unseen simply because it's the new hotness.

Cold, hard truths I'm afraid, but truths nonetheless.

#963 4 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

I think the issue is that in general Stern has a poor track record of releasing machines with complete code so people have been conditioned to buy a non complete machine and expect it to be finished up as time goes on. The only problem is that some of the guys doing code will go back and finish the game and others don't.
What will eventually happen is that sales will be affected and there will be a trend of poor sales of pins that are coded by guys with poor track records of delivering complete and enjoyable code.
It's not really like the guys who are buying the LE's have the option to see a completed game before they have to put their money down on them. So there has to be a certain amount of trust there on the part of the consumer that Stern is going to deliver a fun to play machine eventually.

I don't disagree with anything you've said there, and the notion of buying something that is released unfinished is certainly something not unique to Stern or indeed to pinball.

But, again, you don't have to buy an LE. If you really like Munsters, fair enough, but buying the LE of something because it's LE, under pressure and forsaking whatever due diligence you'd normally do is just playing into the hands of Stern and other companies who do this sort of thing. My advice simply would be not to buy the most expensive version of something unless you are really a huge fan of the theme (in which case the code depth is somewhat academic).

As a rule of thumb though paying 100% of the price of something and then expecting sea changes in how it plays is risky business.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#990 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Good news!
Thanks as I suppose your wishing luck paid off, as I received a reply this week. Yes actually got a reply and can only say I’m more positive about things.
Please more letters from everyone to:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
They are listening, but they need to know that many are sitting on the fence till software improves and want the improvements. We must be vigilant!
Reply indicating leaning towards more, but the demand for upgraded software has to be there on a title that is already selling very well without it. Squeaky wheel gets the grease for sure. Please do your part and email all the people above. Send my same letter if you wish. Won’t take much time to do so and will pay off is what I’ve been told.

Sorry man but you're just being placated by customer service.

They want a list of people who would consider buying it if the code was deeper? Like, that's it? No letters of intent or anything else actually binding? Ok I'd buy it if the code was deeper. Zero commitment from my end.

(I wouldn't, but if you just want a +1 for your cause what the hell)

Stern won't actually know how many people would follow through on their commitment to buy it, of course.

Also, here's a thought, what about the people who bought it BECAUSE it is shallow and accessible? Sucks to be them I suppose.

2 weeks later
#1117 4 years ago

Addams isn't particularly deep either, but it's packed with gizmos and is a lot of fun. It says a lot that it's still super popular and the non-pinball person's pinball machine. No one will remember Munsters pinball in 10 years time.

#1163 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If it was warranted it would be one thing but Munsters is getting a bad wrap i don't give a F what anybody says. There are a handful of people on here that are just doing it to be trolls and honestly its a shame and pretty embarrassing.
There is nothing wrong with this game at all. Is it the best game ever? No its not but its extremely good ad its a lot of fun. BM66 when it first came out honestly deserved a thread like this. That game should have never been allowed to leave the factory with the code in as bad of shape as what it was, but Munsters is pretty damn good and its possibly the best game that i own to challenge my friends on score wise. Great tournament game for sure!

People have a right to an opinion. Plenty of people dislike Addams and find it shallow, even though it is the worlds best selling pin. Plenty of people love deep ruleset pins like LOTR, whilst others have no time for them (like me). If someone asked me what my opinion was of LOTR I'd tell them I wasn't a fan, but it doesn't mean LOTR is crap.

What you CAN objectively point out is BOM cost cutting like single target banks instead of drop targets, with the price remaining the same or going up. That would be a valid criticism regardless of what the theme happened to be.

For what it's worth I think people disproportionately cheerleading the pin and talking it up based on a code update that may (more than likely won't) never happen is just as disingenuous as people who are hating on it because they just want to, or whatever. It's alright to like Munsters for what it is, and people should certainly only buy it based on what it is rather than what it might be in the future if Stern ever go beyond 1.00 code, but it's no more right to talk about it like its the worst pin ever as it is to pretend that it's amazing (or at least act like it being amazing is an objective fact).

2 months later
#1338 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I love mine and I like the code as well, its tons of fun and challenging. Obviously I hope it gets more code since it's one of my most favorite games ever but I will love it even if it never gets anymore updates. The game is super fun.

Stern doesn’t love it though, that much is clear. It might as well not exist.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
Protection
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Durzel.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever?tu=Durzel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.