Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.43.14 AM (resized).png
you-have-chosen-wisely (resized).jpg
F50857BB-03D9-4B08-99E3-855F23907EE6 (resized).jpeg
rim.gif
Annotation 2019-06-03 152929 (resized).png
Resized_20190602_121852.jpeg
Screenshot_20190529-124632_Facebook.jpg
4FF1CF46-5994-4BC1-A7A7-05D2027EEB91.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#217 5 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

A lot of people feel the pinnacle of pinball happened in the 90s. It doesn't seem like there will be much hope of convincing then otherwise.

I was talking with a Stern programmer a fews years back at Expo (2016 maybe? Starts to all blur honestly). Was around 2am, just hanging in the hall by the tournament games shooting the shit. He told me two things that stuck with me despite the late hour:

1) Everyone at Stern loves the 90s era of pins, and wants nothing more than to make games of that caliber

2) The programmers are given half the time that they had in the 90s to make the games

I'll leave his identity a mystery, but let's just say you could all guess it easily. It's not that these guys don't care or are bad at their job, it's just that games get pumped out, time is short, and we expect more and more from the code, while they're given less and less time to get it done.

#219 5 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

All of the above, but sometimes less is more when it comes to code as far as the rule set being simple to understand.

I agree with Lyman on this topic, can't remember the podcast he was on, but he said the thing he looks for in a game is are there multiple ways to approach it? His example, and a favorite of mine, was The Shadow. It's not a deep or complicated game, but you can walk up and play it multiple ways. Are you going for the modes? Trying to get the secret laughing mode started? Comboing ramps for Super Vengeance? Working on your loops?

Sometimes I'll play Shadow with the intent of getting to Final Battle, but I get distracted by Super Vengeance because it's just so fun and satisfying to hit those ramp combos with the diverter switches. It's like driving stick shift, you feel like your whole body is engaged in the experience.

Honestly I give two shits about rule depth, I just want to know is the game fun? If it's deep and fun, great! If it's deep and a grind, hard pass. If it's simple and fun (TNA) then that's a really good game to have around. If it's simple and boring who the hell cares about that game? Fun needs to be the watch word imo.

1 week later
#282 5 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Do you guys think Stern will eventually do right by us and make the code decent? This is a grail theme to me, thinking of buying a Pro and waiting it out.

No. The game is the game. If you like it great, if you wish it was something else you're never going to get your wish.

Not because Stern is evil, or Dwight is lazy, or anything like that, it's just the reality of what's going to happen. You'll wait forever. Buy or don't based on that.

3 weeks later
#572 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

Damn. If Stern listened to all of the hee-hawing going on around here it would never get a pinball machine built.

Integrating a theme into the audio package is basic "doing pinball work" and not out of the ordinary to expect.

#679 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

My head is already spinning with your "wishlist". You start out with " one thing that I think would make this game more enjoyable for people " followed by a large paragraph full of verbiage that has me crossing my eyes.
I just want to play pinball and not interested in having a printed rule sheet to tell me what I have to do next.

I mean no offense, but looking at your collection it doesn't seem like you're particularly interested in even vaguely modern pinball. Meaning the kind of rule sets that existed in the '90s.

Nothing wrong with that, I happed to think the kind of early solid state titles you seem to favor are great games. But people don't want to pay $6k for games of that complexity.

Just saying, you're probably a pretty extreme outlier for the conversation. Doesn't mean you don't get an opinion, just that I doubt many people buying this game only own games from the '80s otherwise and are looking for that kind of simple play.

#722 4 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

But I am baffled by the haters on this title. I think people are over thinking pinball. And their expectations on what pinball should be. This was just so much fun. Just my thoughts.

It’s the dichotomy of the home owner vs the location player.

I personally suspect that Stern thought Munsters could be another Addams Family. Take the same kind of theme, make it easy to play and understand, and create something to draw players in who remembered having fun with that. Everyone you meet who finds out you’re into pinball tells you they liked Addams Family right?

Maybe it’s working. I dunno that we have any real insight into sales numbers. My guess is in 2019 going after location play and not catering to collectors is a mistake. But we don’t get to see the books.

I do think it’s unfortunate that Dwight is being painted as lazy. My interactions with him have been minimal, Stern cut me off a long time ago, but I was briefly beta testing Star Trek code before that. I got nothing but the impression that he cared.

Have you read his old blog posts about making pinball? He sweated a lot of details in it.

Maybe he’s a bad fit for for this game. Maybe he’s only been given a limited amount of time to work on it. Maybe licensing is more of a headache than people know. Might be rights issues, that happens.

Either way I think criticizing the game is more than fair, it’s clearly not creating the experience fans want, but I wish we could do it without making it personal.

Just my thoughts on that, as someone who knows what it feels like to be on the receiving end.

#725 4 years ago

I’m basically bored with license slapping. Munsters feels like a prime example. Take something people are nostalgic for, do a good art package (glad we get good art now) and get the fans to buy.

But then that seems to be it. There isn’t enough love and care out into actually making the fans hype. Maybe you need someone on the team who’s a big fan themselves.

For Alien the secret weapon we had was the whole team loved the movies. Getting the atmosphere right and representing the key scenes and characters was super important to all of us.

Not saying our game is the best, but I do think we nailed that. Nobody who’s an Alien fan feels like we didn’t represent the movies.

My take is if you get that right the “depth” of code won’t matter much. Always someone who wants more, but if the world and vibe and atmosphere and quotes and all that good stuff is there it’s probably enough. Just look at Tron.

#727 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Well, Borg IS a big fan of the Munsters, but that clearly wasn’t enough

The audio/visual part is the real failure right? I haven’t played it, but I’ve also never even watched the show, I’d be a terrible judge.

But what I’m hearing is people want more quotes, more clips, more things that represent the big scenes.

That’s stuff does take some time. But, it’s also not that hard. I can’t design a playfield, but I do know about integrating video and audio clips into a game.

The work on Black Knight’s media package was way more time intensive than what doing a bunch more Munsters clips would be, I can tell you that.

The rules for it all are kind of a separate thing, but just adding more to the screen and speakers isn’t rocket science. They could at least mix it up more so you heard and saw some variety.

The bet they could buy a lot of fan goodwill just doing that.

#729 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

All the development work that goes into making a pin and the initial excitement of Munsters and then THUD

Yeah, that’s what gets me the most. Making a pin is so much freaking work, it really is. And then to not follow through on the rest after all that?

Stern just cares about pumping them out and running the line and cashing checks I guess. And fair enough if people keep buying. For for the money they charge people should definitely expect more.

#763 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

They’ve added so many good features to Batman, so why won’t they do the same for Munsters?

Because there’s no “they” about it. What non-Lyman game has ever had that kind of overhaul?

I don’t wish any pin to suck. I hope everyone gets what they want. But it’s foolish to think it will just happen and buy accordingly. Buy if you’re happy with it now without anything extra, and it’s a bonus if it ever gets a substantial update.

#789 4 years ago
Quoted from guymontag451:

Side note to the rest of the people on pinside : you should see the Private Messages he sent me, they are DOOZIES!

Just as a point of interest, if you ever lose the amusement factor of the messages, if you put someone on ignore they lose the ability to PM you.

#800 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Also, they can still harrass you with downvotes that are visible to you despite being ignored.

I dunno, I've always found it kind of amusing to see the downvotes, it means they're reading my posts, and meanwhile I don't see a thing they have to say.

If you're getting abusive PMs then report him, there's no excuse for that nonsense. I might have hypothetically ignored a certain poster ages ago, and my life is better for it. Do as you will, but I recommend not wasting your time with some people.

1 week later
#935 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

If you buy a Munsters and expect anything to change, let’s just say you’re being very optimistic indeed.

So you’re saying Munsters won’t have its dolphin polished?

3 weeks later
#1146 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Who started this whole thing about B/W games not being the absolute gold standard to strive toward?!?!

There are a lot of people in pinball now who only buy NIB. Used to be the new hobby people with money would try and buy all the A list 90s games after they got hooked, now they just line up LCD screen games and look down on anything without or with some age.

Hey, buy what you want. But new in box buyers with new pinball money have changed the culture.

#1158 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinwalk:

Life is too short (for me) to give a lot of my attention to haters and whiners

Says the person who clicked and replied to a thread titled "Munsters. worst code ever? probably"

You know how you really show you don't care? You don't click when it's obvious what it's gonna be, and if you do click and it's dumb, you just close the window without replying. I like the discussion, why I'm in this thread. Some "haters" don't bug me, people just trying to figure out what would make the game better. It's healthy. Every time companies listen to the "whiners" everyone wins for the most part. But you do you.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Anyway, I wish I understood what the new "new only" buyers are seeing in the new games...other than they're...new?

That's it. They're new. They have a warranty and a dealer to hold their hand. I know a collector I think you probably know too, had all the AAA games. Cactus Canyon blah blah. Couldn't even take the glass off his games. He was so grateful when I fixed a leaf switch on his slingshot one night when I visited with Kyle. Nice guy! But some people are afraid of the inside of their games, and to them new represents less worries.

Honestly I'd rather buy a used game than another NIB game, more headaches trying to dial in a new game than a nicely set up used one.

#1184 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thats true.....but i don't want to do that

You can't have it both ways really. I drain threads all the time when I don't feel like dealing with the angst. I ignore people too, and I have yet to feel like I'm missing a thing.

Either be interested in what people have to say, even if you don't agree, or use the tools to remove them as irritations. Draining a thread feels great imo!

#1207 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You may be in topic but the thread was bullshit from the get go and thats my point.

So be an adult and fucking drain it already.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,564 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever?tu=Aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.