Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.43.14 AM (resized).png
you-have-chosen-wisely (resized).jpg
F50857BB-03D9-4B08-99E3-855F23907EE6 (resized).jpeg
rim.gif
Annotation 2019-06-03 152929 (resized).png
Resized_20190602_121852.jpeg
Screenshot_20190529-124632_Facebook.jpg
4FF1CF46-5994-4BC1-A7A7-05D2027EEB91.gif
There are 1,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 29.
#351 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

TL;DR this thread.
Can I ask for a quick thread summary? Is there an actual code problem that is affecting customers, or is someone just making a subjective "I don't like this" topic (and not giving concrete examples to back it up), and we are at 7 pages ?
-mof

Summary - no code problems beyond a few typical new game bugs. Op doesn't like the game as it's boring to him. No physical defects to focus on this time, so it's the codes fault he doesn't like it. Have no idea why this thread has lasted so long, or why I keep posting in it either....a strange thing going on here....

#352 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

“If they tell him to do more?” You are in denial if you think this has any reasonable chance of happening. There hasn’t ever been a game where Stern has told a lead programmer to do more than what the programmer decided was necessary. And Dwight isn’t Lyman. If Dwight says it’s essentially done we aren’t seeing any significant code additions.
If it happens I’ll gladly buy one. But there is absolutely nothing to indicate Stern has any intent to beef up Munsters code and those that keep saying “just wait” clearly aren’t paying attention.

Dude if Gary or ever who his boss is tells him to rewrite the code or to find ways to make the game better, thats exactly what his ass is going to do because like it or not he has to do what his boss tells him to do. You don't know what goes on behind closed doors at the Stern factory any more than i do. Also did you not forget about Star Trek being a mess and they brought Dwight in to help make that game better? It worked because Star Trek turned out to be a great game.

You don't have to like the game but this game is far better than you give it credit for. Also if you dont like it why do you complain about it so much? Maybe because you like the theme and hope that they will make the game better so you can get one? I hope thats not why you keep hanging around because you said yourself that they will never make the code any better. That would be foolish to waste your time here if thats what you really think.

There have been a shitload of games that were far worse than the Munsters is at the three month mark that turned out to be great games.

#353 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I could not possibly agree more with this statement. I feel exactly the same. SW rules seem to get a lot of love around here, but I don't care for them at all for the very reasons you state, and felt exactly the same way with GOT.

Robs back!!! Yay!!!

He doesn’t like SW. Booo!!!!

Haha. And SW is not loved in these parts

But Even though I’m tired of select-a-mode games; I love SW. it works for some reason...at least to me.

#354 4 years ago

I know a goodly number of people. Including myself that wants to buy this game and are only waiting to see what they do with making the game have more things to do and accomplish.

At these prices, I don’t think many wish to pay for a game they will tire of quickly, because there’s not much to do. Dwight codes games very well. SW is proof of that. But Munsters needs badly, the Batman treatment period. The TV series is severely underutilized. The Munsters series is why we’re all here still discussing it.

That means adding some modes that play along with the TV series. I would think it could then become one of Stern’s best sellers. It has everything else going for it.

There are so many shows that could be integrated into the game with the layout just like it is. It shoots so well. Other than code, what’s not to like about it?

With all the bashing Dwight has taken over GB being unfinished, he may just wish to be able to say what he’s saying, its nearly complete at .99. Then with some more time allowed, hopefully a major rework and additional things can be added. SW is proof Dwight is a top coder.

Now if we can only convince him to get rid of the flashing Bobafet mode. Lol

#355 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

my distributor told me Stern was going to do a substantial "rework update" on Munsters.

If true then it means what I’ve said before is happening - code status is negatively impacting game sales to the point Stern feels the need to act. But this needs to be announced/committed in a Stern of the Union or something public/official otherwise this could be seen as a distributor (or two) doing damage control to move stock or placate existing customers. There are plenty of people willing to buy and give Stern the benefit of the doubt on code (see the statements and history of Batman 66) so there is certainly precedent.

I hope it’s true - Munsters should be a “shut up and take my money” game but there must be a significant portion of potential buyers sitting on the sidelines because they are wary of the code. (I can’t help but wonder what Ghostbusters owners will think if a Munsters rework happens before their long-promised update though).

I’m not buying based on a distributor repeating what may just be a rumor or wishful thinking. But show me the code and I’m ordering. And maybe some of those who sold their games super fast may buy another Munsters NIB too.

#356 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And btw, my distributor told me Stern was going to do a substantial "rework update" on Munsters. If they do great, if not, its good enough for what it is.

Hahahaha HAHA
HAHAHA!!

Good one.

We have been hearing that for 2 years now about the last egg Dwight laid.

#357 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You don't have to like the game but this game is far better than you give it credit for. Also if you dont like it why do you complain about it so much? Maybe because you like the theme and hope that they will make the game better so you can get one? I hope thats not why you keep hanging around because you said yourself that they will never make the code any better.

You are so blinded by your incessant pumping that you must not read or comprehend the words I’ve written in various Munsters threads. I even made same comment about the ST code you mention.

I waited for Munsters for a long time. I wrote a number of early favorable reviews based on art and layout. I soured on the game only after Dwight made it very clear the code at release was pretty much all we were going to get. If that is no longer true than it’s only because Stern sees it impacting their bottom line. They aren’t going to make a significant investment in programming effort simply because a few people complain the code is shallow.

I like the game. I want to love it enough to pay $7k+ for one and have it in my collection for a long time. You are an avowed and self-admitted Stern fanboy who thinks they can do no wrong and that Munsters is the greatest thing since sliced bead. I get that. I’m a realist not willing to give Stern a pass even though I really love the theme and want Munsters to be a game worthy of my desire.

#358 4 years ago

Good to see you in the thread RobT ..been awhile, pinbud!!!!

#359 4 years ago

It sounds like a lot of folks don’t know the difference between game design and code. Most complaints in this thread relate more to former.

#360 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

If true then it means what I’ve said before is happening - code status is negatively impacting game sales to the point Stern feels the need to act. But this needs to be announced/committed in a Stern of the Union or something public/official otherwise this could be seen as a distributor (or two) doing damage control to move stock or placate existing customers. There are plenty of people willing to buy and give Stern the benefit of the doubt on code (see the statements and history of Batman 66) so there is certainly precedent.
I hope it’s true - Munsters should be a “shut up and take my money” game but there must be a significant portion of potential buyers sitting on the sidelines because they are wary of the code. (I can’t help but wonder what Ghostbusters owners will think if a Munsters rework happens before their long-promised update though).
I’m not buying based on a distributor repeating what may just be a rumor or wishful thinking. But show me the code and I’m ordering. And maybe some of those who sold their games super fast may buy another Munsters NIB too.

Yup - want this same so badly but not feeling the urge with so many awesome games on the horizon.
Playing the wait game until end of summer to see what they do with it and what other machines are announced.
Would love to have this in my basement - theme is a top 5 for me.

#361 4 years ago
Quoted from mof:

TL;DR this thread.
Can I ask for a quick thread summary? Is there an actual code problem that is affecting customers, or is someone just making a subjective "I don't like this" topic (and not giving concrete examples to back it up), and we are at 7 pages ?
-mof

It's pretty much a typical Pinside bash thread based on the opinion of someone who doesn't like any of the classic B/W pins of the 90's and also thinks the code on IMDN sucks for good measure.

#362 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

It's pretty much a typical Pinside bash thread based on the opinion of someone who doesn't like any of the classic B/W pins of the 90's and also thinks the code on IMDN sucks for good measure.

Yep exactly. This happens to every Stern game that gets released. Nothing new here .....move along folks.

#363 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Nope exactly. I love classic 90's games, love IMDN, and sold Munsters after 30 games (which is a first...I'm a collector, not a flipper). With the exception of the truly outstanding art packages, everything else about the game is "meh".

#364 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

With the exception of the truly outstanding art packages, everything else about the game is "meh".

I find this odd considering the layout is almost the same as MET. Outside of code which might be addressed, the flow and shots in this game is great with a well intergrated lower playfield. This is one game where I personally would not get a pro, the lower pf does add a lot to this game.

#365 4 years ago

After reading this thread, I’m looking forward to playing one at Allentown to form my own opinion. I’ll see which side of the fence I’m on afterwards

#366 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Congrats, YOU aren't buying. Nobody cares. Move on.

#367 4 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I find this odd considering the layout is almost the same as MET. Outside of code which might be addressed, the flow and shots in this game is great with a well intergrated lower playfield. This is one game where I personally would not get a pro, the lower pf does add a lot to this game.

Layout is close to MET, but MET does have more ways to stop the ball.. Sparky, gravestone, snake, scoop, coffin(PREM/LE). Munters only has 3.. which with the current code makes the game fast as hell, any deep story telling would take some major forthought. I love my prem, fun to be able to play with a friend and not drink 2 beers waiting for my turn. Fits in my collection nicely, but the code still could use some variety, polish, and an encore that reveals more munsters content.

I wish there was another mini mode were LP was used in the game a little more.. maybe a 2 ball mode with 1 ball lower playfield and 1 up top with some hurry up goals at the same time. Pro would be a combination of the dracular/herman/grandpa scoop.

#368 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I am going to play Munster LE tomorrow night on location. I’ve played about 12 games on it so far. See what I think about the code now that I will have over an hour of gameplay with it.

I just got home from playing pinball on location. I must say Munsters LE is super cool. As far as code goes it just needs a tad more, but it’s still young. I love the shots, sounds, and lower playfield.

#369 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

And that is exactly the problem with the code. One trick pony. What a waste of a beautiful game.

Works for AC/DC! And BSD... and MB.. and many many more. As long as the trick is fun and keeps you coming back for more...

#370 4 years ago

So let me get this straight...there's a munsters 'lovers' thread, but people come here to kick people out of the 'this game sucks' thread. Sounds legit.

#371 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Nope exactly. I love classic 90's games, love IMDN, and sold Munsters after 30 games (which is a first...I'm a collector, not a flipper). With the exception of the truly outstanding art packages, everything else about the game is "meh".

Well said this not a good game yet. All must be in reality and stop pumping. Code won’t fix it completely. Great Theme and beautiful game. As Jeff Albertson, the comic guy on Simpsons said, “Worst Code Ever!” I don’t agree fully with that but every time I see this thread that is what I think about.

#372 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

So let me get this straight...there's a munsters 'lovers' thread, but people come here to kick people out of the 'this game sucks' thread. Sounds legit.

There is an owners thread

#373 4 years ago

Layout is much closer to AC/DC. Much.

#374 4 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

and then DWIGHT SULLIVAN SAYS " this game is pretty much done".
That moment right there had me thinking "really, no more".....and I beleive that statement killed a load of potential future game sales.

So true. I for one am holding back until better code is presented.

#375 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Congrats, YOU aren't buying. Nobody cares. Move on.

I really want a LE. I would like to try a pro now that I’ve only been playing LE version.

#376 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Congrats, YOU aren't buying. Nobody cares.

Congrats. YOU totally missed the point.

There are clearly plenty of people who aren’t buying simply because of the code and if the rumors of Stern reversing course and planning a significant code update then Stern certainly cares.

(And I am buying when the code improves past “collect jackpots” and is worthy of a game that should be a perfect fit for me)

#377 4 years ago

I really want a LE. I would like to try a pro now that I’ve only been playing LE version.

The Pro plays noticeably faster because there is no impact of the ball traveling over the playfield window or the change when going into the lab. I really enjoyed shooting the Pro and prefer the art package to that of the LE.

If you can get over the $1600-$1700 difference I think the Premium is the best of both. That’s the one I want. The black/white art is far more stunning in person than in pictures/videos and really does the theme justice. And the lower playfield can be disabled on the Premium/LE for those times you just want to shoot fast and furious.

#378 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

The Pro plays noticeably faster because there is no impact of the ball traveling over the playfield window or the change when going into the lab. I really enjoyed shooting the Pro and prefer the art package to that of the LE.
If you can get over the $1600-$1700 difference I think the Premium is the best of both. That’s the one I want. The black/white art is far more stunning in person than in pictures/videos and really does the theme justice. And the lower playfield can be disabled on the Premium/LE for those times you just want to shoot fast and furious.

I'm just bustin' on you, but to spend an extra $1700 to to turn off a major feature ('cause it sucks?), then to spend the whole game avoiding doing the one thing in the game you want to do... sounds like a blast and well worth the bucks.

I can't understand WHY oh WHY so many are for sale...

#379 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Code impatience, new titles releases, seller flippers etc...

However the game is a blast to play IMHO, a little more substance would be awesome. I can wait while enjoying it

#380 4 years ago

Code impatience, new titles releases, seller flippers etc...
However the game is a blast to play IMHO, a little more substance would be awesome. I can wait while enjoying it

I will be honest that I have liked a lot of Dwight's games, and SW and GoT have a lot going on and they take time and (gasp!) effort to learn. So not writing off Munsters completely, but I am not rushing out to buy it either.

#381 4 years ago

busa32927 why all the hate?

#382 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

hi all
i am over munsters. what a waste of a game. massive disappointment. total sh!t!!!!!! the game has everything to be great and what a pos for the code. nothing exciting nothing make u feel like you want to play more. hey finished level 1. oh great what does level 2 have. wtf its the same as level one. BS!!!!! wait every character is the same for shots major BS!!!!!! wth stern. a 5 year old could have made better rules than that sh!t!!!!

You have hate in your heart ! You need a hug!!

#383 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I'm just bustin' on you, but to spend an extra $1700 to to turn off a major feature ('cause it sucks?), then to spend the whole game avoiding doing the one thing in the game you want to do... sounds like a blast and well worth the bucks.

I agree with you - I think it’s worth the extra bucks.

I like the lower PF, especially when flippers are set to soft. Just think it would be fun to disable it from time to time and enjoy the frenzy of the main level. I would probably keep it active most of the time.

However I think the Pro is one of the better recent Pros and if you had to have color, wanted to save some $, or just think the lower PF is too gimmicky it’s a good choice (when you are happy with the code). When my wife and I first saw/played the Pro and Premium we both liked the Premium better even though we thought the lower PF might get old. But I also really enjoyed the flow of the Pro. If the Pro had the black/white art package we might have ordered it on the spot (that was before the now infamous comment by Dwight on the code)

#384 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Talk to the sellers. Most I’ve talked to/communicated with give an innocuous reason publicly but privately say the code has a lot to do with it. There have been/are some great deals out there if you want a lightly used game and are fine with existing game play. I’ve been tempted by a few, but think I’ll go NIB if I like where the code settles.

Of course that doesn’t count those few that sell early no matter what to fund Black Knight or whatever the latest game is.

#385 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I'm just bustin' on you,

They made three models
Of all of them let’s say being way generous there have been 50 for sale
They made 600 LE alone
Your tripping
A lot of people love the game

#386 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

The Pro plays noticeably faster because there is no impact of the ball traveling over the playfield window

Baloney!

I think the LE’s are all sold out unless you can find one used. The black and white looks the coolest anyways so just get a NIB premium. You also wont want to go with the pro now that you have played the LE with the lower playfield.

#387 4 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Your tripping
A lot of people love the game

I agree I am sure that a lot of people love the game, but having been in the "collector" side of this hobby for almost 20 years, I CAN say that I don't recall seeing this many people dump a game this quickly, for this large of a loss.

Games have been good sellers, games have been poor sellers, but if you can think of a hot potato like Munsters please enlighten me.

#388 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I agree I am sure that a lot of people love the game, but having been in the "collector" side of this hobby for almost 20 years, I CAN say that I don't recall seeing this many people dump a game this quickly, for this large of a loss.
Games have been good sellers, games have been poor sellers, but if you can think of a hot potato like Munsters please enlighten me.

I think it's the millennial's that are in the hobby now with their impatience lol.

#389 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I never saw so many people dump machines they had to get a game either and that’s what I saw when Munsters was streamed

#390 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

Star Wars,Walking dead I bought my WD for 4100 mint under 200 plays after it came out

#391 4 years ago

4200.it was 4200 I paid for that game
But if your saying another example of so many on a short period I would say Star Wars
But also you have to take in consideration all the other games released after Munsters
Especially Wonka

#392 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think the LE’s are all sold out unless you can find one used. The black and white looks the coolest anyways so just get a NIB premium.

NIB LEs are still available, but the Premium does look cooler.

(As for your “Baloney” comment ... go play a Pro and a Premium that are side by side. It’s pretty obvious. And physics).

#393 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Congrats. YOU totally missed the point.
There are clearly plenty of people who aren’t buying simply because of the code and if the rumors of Stern reversing course and planning a significant code update then Stern certainly cares.
(And I am buying when the code improves past “collect jackpots” and is worthy of a game that should be a perfect fit for me)

YOU know the drill. Quit whining about code

It’s not finished yet. And my distro said they are planning a significant rework

If they want to sell more games to people like you they will follow through. If not, on to the next

#394 4 years ago

To me the bigger issue with Munsters, Deadpool, GOTG etc are the cheap drains. The game is just trying to kill you -- even if you make a good shot. Which just isn't fun. The 90s Williams games are not like that. They were meant to be PLAYED. Stern makes games that are meant to DRAIN because short ball times = good for operators (this is not from me, Gary himself said this several years ago).

And cheap drains is not my idea of fun. They have managed to save many games with code updates but... you can't do that forever.

#395 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I CAN say that I don't recall seeing this many people dump a game this quickly, for this large of a loss.

This is what happens when people are dumbasses and blindly hand 5-9 thousand dollars to someone for a game that they have never played or even at least watched being streamed. I don't feel sorry for them at all.

#396 4 years ago

If anyone wants to unload a Munsters for an HUO Stern Pirates let me know!

#397 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Just think it would be fun to disable it from time to time and enjoy the frenzy of the main level. I would probably keep it active most of the time.

What’s needed is a way to skip Grampa mode once you’ve already completed it for that level. Double flipper like skipping animations.

#398 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballOsp:

To me the bigger issue with Munsters, Deadpool, GOTG etc are the cheap drains. The game is just trying to kill you -- even if you make a good shot. Which just isn't fun. The 90s Williams games are not like that. They were meant to be PLAYED. Stern makes games that are meant to DRAIN because short ball times = good for operators (this is not from me, Gary himself said this several years ago).
And cheap drains is not my idea of fun. They have managed to save many games with code updates but... you can't do that forever.

I don't find any of those games to be unfair in the drain department. If you do I'd steer clear of Black Knight:SoR, that thing will punish you, and not just for missing a shot. The shot to the knight target and the shield can seem brutal at times.

#399 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

NIB LEs are still available, but the Premium does look cooler.
(As for your “Baloney” comment ... go play a Pro and a Premium that are side by side. It’s pretty obvious. And physics).

I played both a Pro and a Premium at TPF. Not side-by-side but the vendors were right next to each other. The Premium shifts gears when the game moves to the lower play field but I did not notice and speed difference on the Premium main play field and the Pro. Both were fast !. I actually played 3 different Premiums from Marcos stable of Premiums. So, maybe I should say all 4 were fast.
I'm not the world's pinball wizard but I am a speed junkie. If those Premiums were slow it was lost on me.

#400 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I played both a Pro and a Premium at TPF. Not side-by-side but the vendors were right next to each other. The Premium shifts gears when the game moves to the lower play field but I did not notice and speed difference on the Premium main play field and the Pro. Both were fast !. I actually played 3 different Premiums from Marcos stable of Premiums. So, maybe I should say all 4 were fast.
I'm not the world's pinball wizard but I am a speed junkie. If those Premiums were slow it was lost on me.

“Slow” is not how I would define Munsters

Smooth ramps and ripping the Eddie loops are fast and flowy if you like that sort of thing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,489 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 1,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever/page/8 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.