Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.43.14 AM (resized).png
you-have-chosen-wisely (resized).jpg
F50857BB-03D9-4B08-99E3-855F23907EE6 (resized).jpeg
rim.gif
Annotation 2019-06-03 152929 (resized).png
Resized_20190602_121852.jpeg
Screenshot_20190529-124632_Facebook.jpg
4FF1CF46-5994-4BC1-A7A7-05D2027EEB91.gif
There are 1,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 29.
#301 4 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Is that even possible, there is a roll over switch 1/3 the way up the shooter lane before the ball can even exit the lane. I personally have not experienced this issue at all. (Well as of yet anyway )

It’s sometimes coded into earlier 80’s and 90’s games that don’t have ball save.

I agree with Aussiepinwiz , it would be a nice touch - I don’t want ball save on, but there are the occasional drains that feel unfair.

#302 4 years ago

I'm in the I just do not like the code on Munsters. Great layout with shallow code.

#303 4 years ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

I played Munsters LE and thought it was an OK game. Looks amazing and played OK. Then after reading the 295 posts on this thread I began to think there's something wrong with my initial assessment of the game. Worst code ever? Before reading the thread I thought it played well and the code was fit for purpose. I've played more exciting games, but also a whole lot of worse games. So I decided to play it for an hour non-stop to get a real feel to it, and form my own opinion. My assessment is that the code is just fine. And it's only at 0.99!
One minor code issue to fix that I don't think has been covered yet in this thread: draining on a short plunge, without triggering any switch, doesn't give you your ball back!
The more I played it, the more depth I found in it. It can only get better. It's great fun. It brings a smile to my face listening to the gags on the screen. It also offers one of the greatest challenges in pinball: multiball on two play fields simultaneously using four flipper buttons. I am going to try and get my brain trained to play each flipper separately. I don't know if I will succeed but I'll try and improve my skill levels. Good code provides good challenges, and also great lighting effects, just like Munsters has. Yes, some of the proposed improvements posted above would be good. Maybe they will be integrated, maybe not. Either way, this game is a long way from being labelled as the game with the worst code ever. It has good code right now and will get better.

Canceling the jackpots and saving them up to cash in big near the end of the game is where the fun is at in this game. Its very challenging and its fun as hell and it never gets old.

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Canceling the jackpots and saving them up to cash in big near the end of the game is where the fun is at in this game. Its very challenging and its fun as hell and it never gets old.

JD was killing it tonight on a premium!!!! gorgeous game.....amazing to watch someone who can really play light this one up!!!

#305 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

JD was killing it tonight on a premium!!!! gorgeous game.....amazing to watch someone who can really play light this one up!!!

Cant wait to watch it tonight. Maybe i can learn a few things.

#306 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

hi all
i am over munsters. what a waste of a game. massive disappointment. total sh!t!!!!!! the game has everything to be great and what a pos for the code. nothing exciting nothing make u feel like you want to play more. hey finished level 1. oh great what does level 2 have. wtf its the same as level one. BS!!!!! wait every character is the same for shots major BS!!!!!! wth stern. a 5 year old could have made better rules than that sh!t!!!!

So...have you been living in a cave for the last 5 years and did not expect this issue? I totally stopped buying Stern's new games and no longer have an interest in even looking at the them after all this poor coding that has gone on for so long. Its hard to believe that people put out their hard earned money for disappointments one after another with code. There are too many quality games with better quality and coding out now to waste your money sending it to Stern.

#307 4 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

So...have you been living in a cave for the last 5 years and did not expect this issue? I totally stopped buying Stern's new games and no longer have an interest in even looking at the them after all this poor coding that has gone on for so long. Its hard to believe that people put out their hard earned money for disappointments one after another with code. There are too many quality games with better quality and coding out now to waste your money sending it to Stern.

Bullshit!

#308 4 years ago

Here is.where I believe the MASSIVE difference lays between Munsters release code and recent game release codes.

The.community has grown to accept and actually EXPECT rough early code, then tidy ups and revisions and additions along the way. THAT'S the system now and most seem OK with it because past games have mostly "become" awesome with code evolvment.

Ready for the thing that has turned most people off MUN ( again in my opinion ) ... people saw the game and started to realise it was another game coming out very raw, and....accepted that, and then DWIGHT SULLIVAN SAYS " this game is pretty much done".

That moment right there had me thinking "really, no more".....and I beleive that statement killed a load of potential future game sales.

People rightfully expect a lot of bang for buck these days and majority dont see it in this game in its current form.

I get that it's fun and fast, people want more

#309 4 years ago

Would people that sold Maiden to buy Munsters regret that decision? Code wise?
I noticed a few where up for sale in Australia just before the Munsters release.

#310 4 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar1:

Would people that sold Maiden to buy Munsters regret that decision? Code wise?

Im sure that they probably would. Maiden is one of the best games a person could ever own.

#311 4 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

Here is.where I believe the MASSIVE difference lays between Munsters release code and recent game release codes.
The.community has grown to accept and actually EXPECT rough early code, then tidy ups and revisions and additions along the way. THAT'S the system now and most seem OK with it because past games have mostly "become" awesome with code evolvment.
Ready for the thing that has turned most people off MUN ( again in my opinion ) ... people saw the game and started to realise it was another game coming out very raw, and....accepted that, and then DWIGHT SULLIVAN SAYS " this game is pretty much done".
That moment right there had me thinking "really, no more".....and I beleive that statement killed a load of potential future game sales.
People rightfully expect a lot of bang for buck these days and majority dont see it in this game in its current form.
I get that it's fun and fast, people want more

Dwight probably went the wrong direction in making the code simple like a older game for sure, but the game really is still a ton of fun. If you have multiple games and you like the theme its probably not a big deal to most people but if it was your only game then i could see it getting stale maybe.

You are correct though in saying that people expect a lot of bang for their buck because of the steep prices on these games and i agree, they should.

#312 4 years ago

Munsters is good, the artwork is good, technology and game play is good also. I prefer it to MB original and its a great game for the family to play on. The lower play field is fun also, but only in operation for a short time but like I say it is a fun game all round. Non hardcore pinball users who have played, tell me this is also a fun game and maybe that is who this one is aimed at. Pinball imploded in the late 90's, lets not have that happen again with over complex pins, the market needs an all round approach.

#313 4 years ago
Quoted from lexi:

Munsters is good, the artwork is good, technology and game play is good also. I prefer it to MB original and its a great game for the family to play on. The lower play field is fun also, but only in operation for a short time but like I say it is a fun game all round. Non hardcore pinball users who have played, tell me this is also a fun game and maybe that is who this one is aimed at. Pinball imploded in the late 90's, lets not have that happen again with over complex pins, the market needs an all round approach.

I'm a "hardcore pinball user"..."junkie" might be a better term for me ...just a very average player....

#314 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I'm a "hardcore pinball user"..."junkie" might be a better term for me ...just a very average player....

Im a very average player 40% of the time and a very shitty player 55% of the time, and pretty damn good about 5% of the time.

#315 4 years ago

I think you may be the one in a cave if you think sterns games all have poor coding. Stern has many of the best coded games ever made and none of them from the last 10 years are exactly lacking in the code area. A couple need a polish but all of them have tons of code.

Stern makes lots of different types of games and Munsters was intentionally coded different to try to grab a different pinball buying group as well as appeal to many of sterns current customers. Dwight was very clear even before Munsters was announced that his next game was going to be more of a throwback to the 90's style of code and much simpler then his previous games. Anyone that bought it and is complaining about the code being too simple needs to look in the mirror to find the problem.

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I think you may be the one in a cave if you think sterns games all have poor coding. Stern has many of the best coded games ever made and none of them from the last 10 years are exactly lacking in the code area. A couple need a polish but all of them have tons of code.

Well if you mean after being out for a few years then, yeah, MOST of their games are actually completed with decent code. If you mean on release, then we have different definitions of lots of code; Cuz, most, if not all, are pretty bad on day one.

Quoted from jgentry:

Stern makes lots of different types of games and Munsters was intentionally coded different to try to grab a different pinball buying group as well as appeal to many of sterns current customers. Dwight was very clear even before Munsters was announced that his next game was going to be more of a throwback to the 90's style of code and much simpler then his previous games. Anyone that bought it and is complaining about the code being too simple needs to look in the mirror to find the problem.

Fully agree! I suggest people need to set aside their FOMO and actually play before buying, but that's just me.

#317 4 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Is that even possible, there is a roll over switch 1/3 the way up the shooter lane before the ball can even exit the lane. I personally have not experienced this issue at all. (Well as of yet anyway )

Is that why that there? Bk has one too and I have no idea why else it would be there?

#318 4 years ago

I don’t know I still think the game is rather nice code wise
It’s like here it is,it’s all here go at it boom boom boom
I dig it

#319 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Munsters was intentionally coded different to try to grab a different pinball buying group as well as appeal to many of sterns current customers. Dwight was very clear even before Munsters was announced that his next game was going to be more of a throwback to the 90's style of code and much simpler then his previous games.

The biggest problem with this is that you could easily have both - a throwback game that appeals to novices and a deep game to satisfy home users or good/great players. Add some depth past the current 2/3 levels and add new modes/rules when you get there. I’d have zero problems with the code (or committing to buy a Premium) if that was the case.

#320 4 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

I don’t know I still think the game is rather nice code wise
It’s like here it is,it’s all here go at it boom boom boom
I dig it

It will never get old to me but i have 6 other games to play. If it was my only game it could possibly get old but thankfully thats not the case. I think almost any game would get old eventually if it was the only game that you had.

#321 4 years ago

I get the whole throwback comparison but that's where it ends for me. Games in the nineties had much simpler code like Fish Tales for example but FT has waaaaayyyyy more going on than Munsters. Also FT is a lot more addictive imo which is where I feel Munsters is lacking. Just because a game has simpler code doesn't mean it can't be really challenging and Munsters for me fell short in this category. It became very repetitive. Too repetitive. Just my opinion though.

#322 4 years ago
Quoted from kklank:

I get the whole throwback comparison but that's where it ends for me. Games in the nineties had much simpler code like Fish Tales for example but FT has waaaaayyyyy more going on than Munsters. Also FT is a lot more addictive imo which is where I feel Munsters is lacking. Just because a game has simpler code doesn't mean it can't be really challenging and Munsters for me fell short in this category. It became very repetitive. Too repetitive. Just my opinion though.

So are you sayin your Not interested in buying my Munsters then KK? lol Sadly I agree with this which hurts to say as I SO love the theme.

#323 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It will never get old to me but i have 6 other games to play.

in your current collection you have listed even 7 other games

#324 4 years ago

I am willing to be open minded about things but if you tell me the fun of a game comes from NOT doing something all game .... I don't want to play that game.

I want to do stuff. If I don't want to do it things I post on pinside

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from flipper73:

in your current collection you have listed even 7 other games

Im not really counting the old Supersonic in the back part of the basement that i rarely play. I do have a total of 8 games though but i have 7 in my little gameroom or whatever you want to call it. Nothing wrong with Supersonic though. Its a pretty fun game actually.

#326 4 years ago

All well said

#327 4 years ago

The issue with Munsters is the code not being that much fun. Use the ramps more. Use lighting effects more. Use spot more. There is a TON of potential here. I own the LE and think it will be a top 30 pin for sure if they can add some stuff. Theme is fun, layout is smooth, graphics are amazing, lower playfield is cool.

#328 4 years ago

Way , way to early to say game is finished, code wise. I enjoy playing it, and regardless of Dwight's comments, the game has too much going for it to leave as is.

We know there are some bugs that will have to be addressed at some point...Nothing stopping him from adding some extra things in for a nice surprise. I remain optimistic.

#329 4 years ago

its at .99 .98 to .99 was pointless. i hope the code does get amazing. like you said "the game has too much going for it" but its coded status is sad.

#330 4 years ago

All this talk of rules and here I am having a blast with my Doozie EM

#331 4 years ago

I am going to play Munster LE tomorrow night on location. I’ve played about 12 games on it so far. See what I think about the code now that I will have over an hour of gameplay with it.

#332 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I am going to play Munster LE tomorrow night on location. I’ll see what I think about the code after I have over an hour of play on it.

You should like it then. Munsters is big on multiball scoring and you are, after all, a mulitball maniac.

#333 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

You should like it then. Munsters is big on multiball scoring and you are, after all, a mulitball maniac.

The most fun if the game is trying to stack up the jackpots and getting your multipliers built up and cashing them in. If he understands that he will enjoy the game. So many people think its all about getting to Munster Madness and once they reach it they are like. ...thats it? This code sucks! Thats not where the fun is at, its all about the jackpots.

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thats not where the fun is at, its all about the jackpots.

I think there’s a lot of fun in MM with multipliers kicked in too, gotten 80M+ in the first one, only had a he second level lit once, and didn’t start it.
I try to save the multipliers for the MM, but they are so tempting to use along the way!

#335 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

its at .99 .98 to .99 was pointless. i hope the code does get amazing. like you said "the game has too much going for it" but its coded status is sad.

I can only believe you weren't an early adopter of BM66....just can't go w you on the "worst code ever" statement....way too early (wait, I wasn't going to post in this thread anymore, dammit... )

#336 4 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

I think there’s a lot of fun in MM with multipliers kicked in too, gotten 80M+ in the first one, only had a he second level lit once, and didn’t start it.
I try to save the multipliers for the MM, but they are so tempting to use along the way!

Theres is fun in many areas of this game. Chasing the big jackpots are a blast and very challenging and hard to cash in on. Herman is a fun mode, grandpa's Lab is fun on the Premium /LE models, Spot is fun, and Raven is a lot of fun also. Munster Madness is fun too. The game is just fun period. Could it be more fun? Is the code a little shallow? Yes to both of those questions and hopefully Dwight throws a few more things in there but this game is still fun and challenging. The game has been out 3 months, people need to chill a little.

#337 4 years ago
Quoted from BC_Gambit:

I am willing to be open minded about things but if you tell me the fun of a game comes from NOT doing something all game .... I don't want to play that game.
I want to do stuff. If I don't want to do it things I post on pinside

Great theme but poor game. I don’t think the code will ever fix it. Needs more work! Worst code ever is too bold of statement as there are some pretty bad ones that this code blows out of the water.

#338 4 years ago

It’s not all about code, it’s about fun to play. I sold my TSPP , great code, not fun. Munsters LE, 100k more fun, and will
get better.

#339 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The most fun if the game is trying to stack up the jackpots and getting your multipliers built up and cashing them in ... its all about the jackpots.

And that is exactly the problem with the code. One trick pony. What a waste of a beautiful game.

#340 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

And that is exactly the problem with the code. One trick pony. What a waste of a beautiful game.

Everyone has a right to their opinion but i still think the game is very fun to play and like i said, its only been out 3 months so it may get better. I know Dwight said its pretty much done but if they tell him to do more than he will have to do more whether he wants to or not. Who knows what will happen.

#341 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Also - I really think in general players DO NOT LIKE rules that include "hit this shot, then choose to NOT get the reward". I really hate GOT & SW due to the "start this mode, that mode, or pass" rules....WTF would I want to pass? The game doesn't explain it, and it's intrinsically not satisfying.

I could not possibly agree more with this statement. I feel exactly the same. SW rules seem to get a lot of love around here, but I don't care for them at all for the very reasons you state, and felt exactly the same way with GOT.

#342 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I agree. If I owned it I would be hoping for big code improvements. Luckily I am more wait and see lately.

#343 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

Really? That's what you think? Who gives a F. Your broken record status is sad.

#344 4 years ago

To me, "bad" means the code is wildly incomplete or doesn't present a coherent ruleset. This code isn't bad, it's just boring. Sometimes all the ingredients for a great game are there and it just doesn't turn out. It happens.

#345 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I could not possibly agree more with this statement. I feel exactly the same. SW rules seem to get a lot of love around here, but I don't care for them at all for the very reasons you state, and felt exactly the same way with GOT.

I agree that it’s counter intuitive but isn’t that exactly what everyone has been saying is good about cancelling jackpots in Munsters? “Why would I want to cancel a Jackpot?” is what most players would say.

All modern rules are not intuitive at some level and while I don’t love SW code for many reasons one of them is definitely passing on modes.

Edit: Once you learn the rules for any pinball machine it becomes much more enjoyable.

#346 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Everyone has a right to their opinion but i still think the game is very fun to play and like i said, its only been out 3 months so it may get better. I know Dwight said its pretty much done but if they tell him to do more than he will have to do more whether he wants to or not. Who knows what will happen.

“If they tell him to do more?” You are in denial if you think this has any reasonable chance of happening. There hasn’t ever been a game where Stern has told a lead programmer to do more than what the programmer decided was necessary. And Dwight isn’t Lyman. If Dwight says it’s essentially done we aren’t seeing any significant code additions.

If it happens I’ll gladly buy one. But there is absolutely nothing to indicate Stern has any intent to beef up Munsters code and those that keep saying “just wait” clearly aren’t paying attention.

#347 4 years ago

So the rules are "different" with respect to rewarding "cancelling jackpots"? FFS so what.

It's a simple game. If you want more, buy Lyman coded games. Or both.

Variety is the spice of life.

And btw, my distributor told me Stern was going to do a substantial "rework update" on Munsters. If they do great, if not, its good enough for what it is.

#348 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

So the rules are "different" with respect to rewarding "cancelling jackpots"? FFS so what.
It's a simple game. If you want more, buy Lyman coded games. Or both.
Variety is the spice of life.

I agree with you. I don’t like Munsters but I’m happy it exists if people do. I don’t want every game to have the same code.

I was just saying I don’t get complaining about passing modes on other games as it makes sense when it’s explained. The same as canceling jackpots makes sense when explained.

#349 4 years ago

TL;DR this thread.

Can I ask for a quick thread summary? Is there an actual code problem that is affecting customers, or is someone just making a subjective "I don't like this" topic (and not giving concrete examples to back it up), and we are at 7 pages ?

-mof

#350 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

And btw, my distributor told me Stern was going to do a substantial "rework update" on Munsters. If they do great, if not, its good enough for what it is.

Heard the exact same thing from my distro yesterday when commenting on the game (inquiring of another)...I don't believe it would take Lyman genius (but would be amazing if he helped) to just tie some things together, and add a bit of polish. For the life of me though....I have fun playing this game as is!!!!

(I have yet again posted in a thread that I was going to leave...another Bourbon night, who cares!!!)...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

9,564 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 1,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.