Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.43.14 AM (resized).png
you-have-chosen-wisely (resized).jpg
F50857BB-03D9-4B08-99E3-855F23907EE6 (resized).jpeg
rim.gif
Annotation 2019-06-03 152929 (resized).png
Resized_20190602_121852.jpeg
Screenshot_20190529-124632_Facebook.jpg
4FF1CF46-5994-4BC1-A7A7-05D2027EEB91.gif

There are 1,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 29.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Shouldn’t it be “worst” not “worse” code ever?

There's that grammar thing again....this, along with logic, are not allowed in a hate thread......

Such a stupid topic "Worse code ever"? Not even close...how about "Best lower playfield ever"?

#252 4 years ago

So if all things were equal, dollar for dollar,, would you buy a Munsters Premium/LE or a Monster Bash SE/LE?

#253 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzone:

So if all things were equal, dollar for dollar,, would you buy a Munsters Premium/LE or a Monster Bash SE/LE?

Thats a tough one there and i struggled with it big time. I had several friends tell me to get Munsters so i took their advice and got a premium and i dont regret my decision at all. I hope to get a MBRSE someday also.

#254 4 years ago

This thread is total bullshit

#255 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

how about "Best lower playfield ever"?

How about one of Stern’s best games ever, because it is!

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

There's that grammar thing again....this, along with logic, are not allowed in a hate thread......
Such a stupid topic "Worse code ever"? Not even close...how about "Best lower playfield ever"?

That’s more like it.

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

hi all
i am over munsters. what a waste of a game. massive disappointment. total sh!t!!!!!! the game has everything to be great and what a pos for the code. nothing exciting nothing make u feel like you want to play more. hey finished level 1. oh great what does level 2 have. wtf its the same as level one. BS!!!!! wait every character is the same for shots major BS!!!!!! wth stern. a 5 year old could have made better rules than that sh!t!!!!

Come on OP. Shit talker.
Your topic is Trash ! Bullshit!

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Your topic is Trash ! Bullshit!

F421DCE1-2624-4692-B818-7C61A6D69A4B (resized).jpegF421DCE1-2624-4692-B818-7C61A6D69A4B (resized).jpeg

#259 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

[quoted image]

Bullshit thread!

#260 4 years ago
Quoted from pinzone:

I think a very close call....my personal choice (just me, as that's the only person I buy or play games for) is MunstersLE, primarily as I've played MB a gazillion times, and just wanted something different to play in the lineup.

Munsters brings alot of fun and uniqueness for me (killer lower pf, dual flipper buttons, amazing, integrated lightshow, and theme, theme, theme).

It's beautiful to look at, and really fun to play, w a fresh approach.....again, one voice here...I like it.....alot

#261 4 years ago

Oddly don't mind the thread...at least Op is not attacking Pinsiders (haven't really read through the whole thing), but rather the game itself, which easily stands on its own, so whatever....

#262 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Oddly don't mind the thread...at least Op is not attacking Pinsiders (haven't really read through the whole thing), but rather the game itself, which easily stands on its own, so whatever....

MK

#263 4 years ago

The OP is one guy who is just wrong but i get his frustration big picture.

Munsters is not TWD or BM66 coded Lyman style. It never will be. It is what it is and its fun to play and good enough for now.

I do have a problem with the Lily and Dragula targets. How about some drops or separate targets?

TWD would not be the same without Blood Bath MB and hitting those targets strategically.

Either way, its a fun game to play, great theme and has its own simplistic style. Different is ok

Best mini playfield upper or lower EVER

#264 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

The OP is one guy who is just wrong but i get his frustration big picture.
Munsters is not TWD or BM66 coded Lyman style. It never will be. It is what it is and its fun to play and good enough for now.
I do have a problem with the Lily and Dragula targets. How about some drops or separate targets?
TWD would not be the same without Blood Bath MB and hitting those targets strategically.
Either way, its a fun game to play, great theme and has its own simplistic style. Different is ok
Best mini playfield upper or lower EVER

I am not a fan personally but everyone is allowed their own opinion and I'm glad people love it. That said I think all lower playfields are bad except maybe Big Lebowski but to say the lower in Munsters is better than every upper playfield ever? That would include White Water, TZ, Shadow, Black Knight 2000, WOZ, Pirates, TSPP, etc. Do you really think it is better than all of those?

Edit: Serious question as I find it extremely boring and just a different ACDC lower playfield.

#265 4 years ago

played the le this week. pretty fun game for where it is on code. kinda thought the lower playfield was a little overused.... reminded me of family guy a lot though. I think it will be a decent game once code is vamped some.

#266 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Depth = good is a myth. Addams is exactly deep enough for a pinball machine. I love good deep games like LOTR and TSPP, but in 10 years, I've never seen the final wizard modes. If you never see them, does it even matter that the game is that deep? I'd rather play Addams, and get to the wizard mode every so often, honestly.

This is a good point.

One game that is slammed by some is TNA because of short code, repetition of same mode over and over.

I can see some may not like TNA but with my large collection it’s fine and the overall game is exciting which the Munsters is not imo. TNA is action packed wall of sound and lights in your face.

#267 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Good point MK6PIN . If this thread works to benefit owners/players and the overall game then that is a positive.

#268 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

I played it first. enjoyed the code with hopes of it getting better. stayed flat.

There is your mistake. NEVER buy a game with the expectation of it “getting better”. Especially a Dwight game, because no matter what you want, the guts of the rules don’t change. At the current prices, I wouldn’t even assume a Lyman game would get the polish. So I’ll wait until the game is cooked before buying it now.

Yes, I realize this is a self fulfilling prophecy. If they sell less games, they are less likely to update it. But it’s my money.

#269 4 years ago

lmao yes i noticed after i posted my grammatical error. i will take full responsibility for that lol. A lot of people have not read what i was saying so let me break it down in a list.

Good:
amazing art
great sound
shots are buttery smooth
great theme
great mechanics
an amazing physical game

Bad:
the player is not integrated in the game
no story line
no purpose for making a shot
no change in sounds
no risk vs reward
its rinse and repeat for 75% of the game
There are no "moments" of success in the game

If you took the same code and put it to any game you would think it sucks. Imagine if the code to TAF was this way. shoot a ramp. oh you got gomez. shoot a ramps and orbits for points. oh shoot fester. now shoot ramps and orbits. No integration no purpose and no point to shoot anything.

Every game from high speed forward has a story line and a goal you are reaching based on that story line. Sadly there is not that in Munster.

I wish there was in munsters. Honestly i do. There is no point in debating someones opinion. This is just my opinion. If you agree to it then is cool. if you dont agree to it then it is also cool.

#270 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I would say that “worse code ever” is a bit of hyperbole along with being painful to read.
It’s certainly not the worse code ever.

Quoted from pinzrfun:

He actually said "worse code ever"... I knew I was in for a treat right then.

Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

Shouldn’t it be “worst” not “worse” code ever?

Yes.

What about Oktoberfest? Wurst code ever!

#271 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

no risk vs reward

I can't say I'm a big fan of Dwight's code on this game, but there is quite a bit of risk vs reward in the jackpot stacking and trying to cash them out for huge values before it's too late.

#272 4 years ago

sadly thats the only risk vs reward.

i would feel tons better about the code if there was a purpose to anything other than shot this or that for points. That is very elementary.

Dragula for example. how much more fun would that be if during dragula you were playing as grandpa and you had to win the race to get the family car back. the race starts when the ball is launched and you had to hit ramps to go faster and beat the other person. when you hit a ramp a new sound effect. u hit a stand up grandpa yells out of frustration. u hit herman and he screams out go grandpa faster. then at the end of the race you hit the grandpa scoop. If you fail the character on screen taunts you and lilly says better luck next time grandpa.

Simple to do. But it just wasnt done.

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

Dragula for example. how much more fun would that be if during dragula you were playing as grandpa and you had to win the race to get the family car back. the race starts when the ball is launched and you had to hit ramps to go faster and beat the other person. when you hit a ramp a new sound effect. u hit a stand up grandpa yells out of frustration. u hit herman and he screams out go grandpa faster. then at the end of the race you hit the grandpa scoop. If you fail the character on screen taunts you and lilly says better luck next time grandpa.

Simple to do. But it just wasnt done.

I agree with you there. That's a good example of the kind of modes I was hoping for that would immerse you in the Munsters world while you were playing, but that's not what we got, and yeah... I'm bummed. It just doesn't seem like Dwight was inspired or even a fan of the Munsters when he created this code IMO.

#274 4 years ago

sadly i am bummed too.

#275 4 years ago

I spent a lot of time on it at MGC last weekend and enjoyed it. It was cool playing with the headphones and actually being able to hear everything. I got to Munster Madness once after a combined probably 2 hours of play.

I will admit that I wasn't looking forward to the ball going to the lower playfield as often as it did. I found myself wanting to get back to the main playfield and start shooting there again.

Light show was incredible - I liked the audio too. Premium black and white package was gorgeous, I didn't even play the color version. If we ever get one, that's what it'll be, somewhere down the road. Wife likes games w straightforward rule sets, easy to understand. We're fortunate enough to have some variety in our collection so it will be a welcome addition.

#276 4 years ago

I think it's a fun location game.

#277 4 years ago

sadly what you do in munsters u basically do in any game that you dont know how to play. just shoot stuff and get points.

#278 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

sadly what you do in munsters u basically do in any game that you dont know how to play. just shoot stuff and get points.

With distinct, different, multiball and fully Incorporated lower play field.

Think all bases have been covered in this thread and absolutely disagree...But enough....out

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

This is a good point.
One game that is slammed by some is TNA because of short code, repetition of same mode over and over.
I can see some may not like TNA but with my large collection it’s fine and the overall game is exciting which the Munsters is not imo. TNA is action packed wall of sound and lights in your face.

TNA is perfection and a perfect example of why people throwing around terms like "shallow" and "deep" mean absolutely NOTHING. TNA is the complete vision of its designer come to life...it's EXACTLY the game it needs to be on all levels...everything works together in perfect harmony - design, art, music, sound, lights, rules...it doesn't need to be anything else but what it is.

#280 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

TNA is perfection and a perfect example of why people throwing around terms like "shallow" and "deep" mean absolutely NOTHING

This.

Some of the most “fun” games have hardly any code.

Look at Paragon and F14 Tomcat. Two of the best machines ever made in my opinion. The code fits on a 8kb chip on Paragon. But it is fun fun fun to play. If you like your ass kicked.

Munsters just doesn’t have that. Everything else is cool. Layout is good. Shots are nice. Just stink to play though.

rd

#281 4 years ago

Do you guys think Stern will eventually do right by us and make the code decent? This is a grail theme to me, thinking of buying a Pro and waiting it out.

#282 4 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Do you guys think Stern will eventually do right by us and make the code decent? This is a grail theme to me, thinking of buying a Pro and waiting it out.

No. The game is the game. If you like it great, if you wish it was something else you're never going to get your wish.

Not because Stern is evil, or Dwight is lazy, or anything like that, it's just the reality of what's going to happen. You'll wait forever. Buy or don't based on that.

#283 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

It's fun - that's what matters. The game has clear objectives... it has incentives and payoffs for doing things in better ways.. its approachable and still has more challenging elements for better players.

Do people go around creating threads like "Scared Stiff - worst code ever" -- No, because you don't need encyclopedia, flow chart rules in every game. It's a flavor... not the required baseline. Some games make that the big feature.. others keep it more streamlined.

The game is a nice blend and is fun to play. That's what should make it a good location game.

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from jp1985:

The basic rules are there to stay and i wouldn't expect much more other than bug fixes but hopefully Dwight will surprise us and give us a little more. The game is fun though the way it is and extremely challenging and addictive.

If this is your grail theme i really can't see you being disapointed. Since it is your grail theme i would get a Premium though with the lower playfield because it is a big part of this game and its fun....this is coming from a guy that hates lower playfields too. The black and white premium art is sexy as hell also..

#285 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

This.
Look at Paragon and F14 Tomcat. Two of the best machines ever made in my opinion. The code fits on a 8kb chip on Paragon. But it is fun fun fun to play. If you like your ass kicked.
Munsters just doesn’t have that. Everything else is cool. Layout is good. Shots are nice. Just stink to play though.
rd

Paragon is one of my favorite games of all-time. No MB's, no display, no callouts. Unlike Munsters, Paragon's PF design is fresh/unique (which makes it fun & challenging). Basic layouts like Munsters are crying out for more compelling code. I played my WH20 yesterday and was reminded how cool the layout is. Rules are fairly basic, but still a lot of fun. Happen to get 5x PF lit right before entering MB (which leads to some crazy points). Munsters just seems sooo monotone by comparison.

#286 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I played my WH20 yesterday and was reminded how cool the layout is.

Funny - we were playing ours last night too.

It’s a great game - cool layout - good rules, but easy to learn - and something challenging there for the pros (like 5x before MB as you did)

That’s another game that hits the sweet spot of “everything works together” to make a great game.

rd

#287 4 years ago

Munsters is a fun kickass pin

My WH20 is a great fun pin too

Munsters will kick your ass with the typical Borg outlanes

The more you play it the better it gets

#288 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

This.
rd

Bally did paragon with just 6KB of ROM. =D

#289 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Rules are fairly basic, but still a lot of fun. Happen to get 5x PF lit right before entering MB (which leads to some crazy points). Munsters just seems sooo monotone by comparison.

The irony is... the same multiplier strategy is the biggest objective in Munsters... yet you praise WH20 for it, yet you ignore it in Munsters?

At least in munsters it's not just one big jackpot to chase.. but rather you must build the jackpot first by getting supers for the modes, then get some kitty multiplier going, then roll into the super and multiball and see the points start raining.

#290 4 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Bally did paragon with just 6KB of ROM. =D

Hey, what’s 2kb between buddies.

rd

#291 4 years ago

I’m in on the “best lower playfield Eva” club. Really like the premium.

#292 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

Sell it and move on. Not every game is for everyone. I really enjoy playing Munsters.

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The irony is... the same multiplier strategy is the biggest objective in Munsters... yet you praise WH20 for it, yet you ignore it in Munsters?
At least in munsters it's not just one big jackpot to chase.. but rather you must build the jackpot first by getting supers for the modes, then get some kitty multiplier going, then roll into the super and multiball and see the points start raining.

Blah, blah. I don't ignore anything...don't know where you heard this falsehood. Don't like Munsters...wish I did!

#294 4 years ago

Munsters is a blast!!!! I enjoy it more everyday. Glad I can finish it!!!! I’ve only finished a few games in my life!!!

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I’m in on the “best lower playfield Eva” club. Really like the premium.

thread started......

#296 4 years ago

I played Munsters LE and thought it was an OK game. Looks amazing and played OK. Then after reading the 295 posts on this thread I began to think there's something wrong with my initial assessment of the game. Worst code ever? Before reading the thread I thought it played well and the code was fit for purpose. I've played more exciting games, but also a whole lot of worse games. So I decided to play it for an hour non-stop to get a real feel to it, and form my own opinion. My assessment is that the code is just fine. And it's only at 0.99!

One minor code issue to fix that I don't think has been covered yet in this thread: draining on a short plunge, without triggering any switch, doesn't give you your ball back!

The more I played it, the more depth I found in it. It can only get better. It's great fun. It brings a smile to my face listening to the gags on the screen. It also offers one of the greatest challenges in pinball: multiball on two play fields simultaneously using four flipper buttons. I am going to try and get my brain trained to play each flipper separately. I don't know if I will succeed but I'll try and improve my skill levels. Good code provides good challenges, and also great lighting effects, just like Munsters has. Yes, some of the proposed improvements posted above would be good. Maybe they will be integrated, maybe not. Either way, this game is a long way from being labelled as the game with the worst code ever. It has good code right now and will get better.

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from Aussiepinwiz:

Either way, this game is a long way from being labelled as the game with the worst code ever.

"Worst code ever" is quite a bit of hyperbole. When this game was announced, I admit that I was hoping for a mode based game, and when I first played the game, I was disappointed in the lack of mode driven play. BUT... if I put my preconceived notions of what I expected out of a Munsters game aside, and I just play it for what it is, I have fun and a good time. It does remind me of some simpler but addictive 90's W/B games like BSD. I would not rule out landing one in my collection someday, especially a black and white premium.

#298 4 years ago

One minor code issue to fix that I don't think has been covered yet in this thread: draining on a short plunge, without triggering any switch, doesn't give you your ball back!

There is no ball save by default. It can be turned on though.

#299 4 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

There is no ball save by default. It can be turned on though.

Even when the ball save is turned off you usually need to hit a switch, right?

#300 4 years ago

Is that even possible, there is a roll over switch 1/3 the way up the shooter lane before the ball can even exit the lane. I personally have not experienced this issue at all. (Well as of yet anyway )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 1,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever/page/6?hl=lamprey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.