Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.43.14 AM (resized).png
you-have-chosen-wisely (resized).jpg
F50857BB-03D9-4B08-99E3-855F23907EE6 (resized).jpeg
rim.gif
Annotation 2019-06-03 152929 (resized).png
Resized_20190602_121852.jpeg
Screenshot_20190529-124632_Facebook.jpg
4FF1CF46-5994-4BC1-A7A7-05D2027EEB91.gif
There are 1,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 29.
#151 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

Heck throw in a commercial break bonus.

They have, it's called Midnight Madness and it's one of the best MM modes ever done, I heartily recommend every owner change the clock if they're not late people so they can see it. On the route, I reversed the clock so noon players could see it.

MM has excellent theme integration, which proves Dwight CAN do it if he wants to.

#152 5 years ago

I can’t believe this made it to 4 pages

#153 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I can even appreciate you saying that, but the title to your thread is “Worst code ever”. No way it’s the worst code ever, its pretty fun actually. It probably could have been better but you could say that about almost any game out there.

He actually said "worse code ever"... I knew I was in for a treat right then.

#154 5 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

I can’t believe this made it to 4 pages

I think some Jackass that posted this helped things out a lot!

C7A22AAA-4441-4B17-B41A-256051A52EA8 (resized).jpegC7A22AAA-4441-4B17-B41A-256051A52EA8 (resized).jpeg
#155 5 years ago

Worst code ever.... lmao. It may not be super deep or complicated like everyone expects now.... but it's really fun and similar to many 90s pins but with some added stuff. I have hundreds of games on mine and i still love it. The first 50 or so games i was kinda blah... but after that i understood it and everything just works well together. If you haven't played .96 or newer give it another try ... they added a lot since early on . I like the mini madness mode on level 1 and then the full version after level 2 ..which i still haven't gotten too bc the game is brutal. I think the levels vary enough to make them.feel different and the different audio/video is nice also. Its just simpler pinball fun with amazing art, great flow, bash toys and nice ramps which is a nice change of pace for once.

#156 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They have, it's called Midnight Madness and it's one of the best MM modes ever done, I heartily recommend every owner change the clock if they're not late people so they can see it. On the route, I reversed the clock so noon players could see it.
MM has excellent theme integration, which proves Dwight CAN do it if he wants to.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it’s such a waste of a mode being achieved solely because when you play it. Would be so easy to bring it in to main gameplay.

#157 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it’s such a waste of a mode being achieved solely because when you play it. Would be so easy to bring it in to main gameplay.

It's the most finished-feeling part of the game with fun and theme integration, which is weird since it's essentially a bonus feature, and most people won't even know it's there. First time he got it, my son was like "THIS is what the game should be like."

#158 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I think it would've been great if there was a "Advance Clock" shot like in Theatre of Magic, that would've advanced the clock (the game has a working clock in the upcoming topper for goodness sake) from Noon to Midnight with 12 shots, starting the Midnight Madness mode. Otherwise, I agree that it's such a waste of a great mode.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I really don’t get all the crying about this game. I can’t imagine if all of your beloved bally Williams 90s titles came out now. You’d hate them all

But isnt this exactly what is happening with CGC remakes? Wait, nope, there are a bunch of us buying these games because they are fun and we like playing them. You don’t like Addams family like some people don’t like old Gottlieb wedge heads, yet I just bought Central Park and have played it for hours already, and it is fun to play. Some of you people have problems putting how a machine plays in historical context to when they were built, and what they brought to the table back then. People are going to soon play Willy Wonka and they are probably going to be “blown away“ just like we were blown away when we saw Addams family the first time, so don’t discount our Bally Williams 90s pinball titles just because you have seen everything since then and think “mhe”. Have some respect for my memories of getting “blown away” by all these titles back in the day, because I still buy and play them now. Ymmv.

#160 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

2K by Christmas!

If so I know what Santa is bringing me this year...

#161 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

If so I know what Santa is bringing me this year..

Your lucky, I'll have to settle for one of those 1.5k pre owned ones not a new in box.

#162 5 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

I played munsters at the Ohio show, and I am already bored of it. I am glad I did not waste money on that game.

I played 2 games on it at Ohio show also and walked away scratching my head, I really wanted to like it, wanted it to be my first NIB pin. I have to give it to them, the premium in my opinion is beautiful.

#163 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

I played 2 games on it at Ohio show also and walked away scratching my head, I really wanted to like it, wanted it to be my first NIB pin. I have to give it to them, the premium in my opinion is beautiful.

Makes sense, i can usually tell within the first two games if im going to like a game or not also.

#164 5 years ago

I myself had every intention of purchasing a Munsters premium or le. Always being an impulsive buyer, my provider of new pins had recommended playing it first at his showroom when it arrived , and then think about the pin after playing it, seeing it, etc etc.. DUDE, best advice I was given on buying a new title. Play it first like so many here have previously stated and then decide. I ended up getting a wd premium and an afmle. I couldn't be happier with my decision, thanks to the great advice I received from the Pinball Dudes. Looking forward to working with them again in the future. May the pinball gods shine down brightly on allnour balls. Best regards to all, and to all a good night

#165 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

I sort of did the same thing, then went over and played IMDN and ended up with one in my basement
But I have not given up yet, if code improves it will be owned

#166 5 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I sort of did the same thing, then went over and played IMDN and ended up with one in my basement
But I have not given up yet, if code improves it will be owned

Most people that walk up and play a few games on it dont know the rules or what they are trying to achieve and they may get to Munster Madness and think theres not enough to the code. Once you learn what you are doing though and start stacking the jackpots and trying to get your multipliers up to cash in for big points, the game really becomes fun and addictive as hell.

The code is not deep and its never going to be but thats ok with me because i like simple sometimes like MB, MM, and AFM etc. MB is a very simple game but i want one anyways and if i had the room i would also want MM and AFM and many other old classics that don't even have the code depth that Munsters has.

#167 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Most people that walk up and play a few games on it dont know the rules or what they are trying to achieve and they may get to Munster Madness and think theres not enough to the code. Once you learn what you are doing though and start stacking the jackpots and trying to get your multipliers up to cash in for big points, the game really becomes fun and addictive as hell.
The code is not deep and its never going to be but thats ok with me because i like simple sometimes like MB, MM, and AFM etc. MB is a very simple game but i want one anyways and if i had the room i would also want MM and AFM and many other old classics that don't even have the code depth that Munsters has.

For me a game has to just be fun to shoot without knowing any of the rules at first - after about 5 games on Munsters I just didn't get that - not sure exactly why, it was fun but I did not get the have to own feeling

IMDN had me pumping quarters in it without know any of the rules.
Like I said, hope to revisit munsters and make a purchase

#168 5 years ago

Srysly 200 Posts in less then one day about an too "easy/ light ruleset" wich was clearly communicated way beforehand?

I don't want to Sound like a certain someone but:
Noone forces you to buy These machines unseen/ unplayed.
There's not even any scarcity about them or long wait times if you decide to pull the trigger later.

#169 5 years ago

Iron Maiden is junk
I played it 5 times and thought “meh”
I had really high hopes since I have been listening to maiden since I was 12
Just didn’t do it for me

#170 5 years ago

See how stupid that sounds
On top of that I went and rated Maiden and gave it a 5 cause I just had to get the word out
(Sarcasm)
Up the irons from St Louis

#171 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

That is F ing laughable.

#172 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

That is F ing laughable.

Iceman when you play a game two times and say it sucks, that means it really sucks bad!

I bet you will play two games on your new Munsters LE tonight and turn it off because it sucks so bad and put it up for sale in the pinside market place. I can see it now!

#173 5 years ago

Well, it is probably a step up from the code on GB. So that's a good thing right...

#174 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Iceman when you play a game two times and say it sucks, that means it really sucks bad!
I bet you will play two games on your new Munsters LE tonight and turn it off because it sucks so bad and put it up for sale in the pinside market place. I can see it now!

Believe me I was a number one supporter on this title until playing it, Not saying it sucks, but I had no intrests of playing it anymore. Also talked to a bunch of guys at the show that had the same impression I did. For me certain games I either love em right away or hate em, I guess this one could grow on me but from what I have seen (I doubt it).

#175 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Believe me I was a number one supporter on this title until playing it, Not saying it sucks, but I had no intrests of playing it anymore. Also talked to a bunch of guys at the show that had the same impression I did. For me certain games I either love em right away or hate em, I guess this one could grow on me but from what I have seen (I doubt it).

Just not sure how you could feel that way because the ramps shoot nice and smooth and the orbits are lightning fast. Borg is my favorite designer.

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Iron Maiden is junk
I played it 5 times and thought “meh”

You have absolutely no right to bag on this guy if you gave Maiden 5 plays and called it junk. You have zero credibility in this thread.

#177 5 years ago

"worst."

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

But isnt this exactly what is happening with CGC remakes? Wait, nope, there are a bunch of us buying these games because they are fun and we like playing them. You don’t like Addams family like some people don’t like old Gottlieb wedge heads, yet I just bought Central Park and have played it for hours already, and it is fun to play. Some of you people have problems putting how a machine plays in historical context to when they were built, and what they brought to the table back then. People are going to soon play Willy Wonka and they are probably going to be “blown away“ just like we were blown away when we saw Addams family the first time, so don’t discount our Bally Williams 90s pinball titles just because you have seen everything since then and think “mhe”. Have some respect for my memories of getting “blown away” by all these titles back in the day, because I still buy and play them now. Ymmv.

My point was we expect every new release to be super deep with complex rules and if it’s not we jump the coders for making a trash game. Munsters is a fun game with straightforward rules. Every game doesn’t need to be a marathon or require you to move shot multipliers around and then somehow smash the action button with your forehead because your in miltiball

The 90s games are great but imagine if addams had never been release and then it popped up as a new title now. People would crucify it. I’ve ownered and loved plenty of ems and early solid state machines so don’t worry about me not appreciating the past :p

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

My point was we expect every new release to be super deep with complex rules and if it’s not we jump the coders for making a trash game. Munsters is a fun game with straightforward rules. Every game doesn’t need to be a marathon or require you to move shot multipliers around and then somehow smash the action button with your forehead because your in miltiball
The 90s games are great but imagine if addams had never been release and then it popped up as a new title now. People would crucify it. I’ve ownered and loved plenty of ems and early solid state machines so don’t worry about me not appreciating the past :p

Totally agree with the sentiment. Speaking for myself, Munsters just wasn't fun. Shoots fine and the clips are cool, but somehow the sum isn't greater than the parts. AFM, OTOH, is a game where everything comes together (why it's a classic).

It's a bummer, since I like the license and grew up with the show. TRON is a counter example where it's my favorite game (by far) and I haven't even seen the movies Oh well...

#180 5 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

You have absolutely no right to bag on this guy if you gave Maiden 5 plays and called it junk. You have zero credibility in this thread.

It’s sarcasm dude holy crap

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

The 90s games are great but imagine if addams had never been release and then it popped up as a new title now. People would crucify it

No they wouldn’t. Great games are forever. People STILL love & want Addams. Modern math chess games that a few hardcore enjoy will never diminish the perfection of 90’s games design, mechs, and rulesets. Pure fun, no new game will change that.

#182 5 years ago

A MAAD GENIUS!!!!

#183 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

hi all
i am over munsters. what a waste of a game. massive disappointment. total sh!t!!!!!! the game has everything to be great and what a pos for the code. nothing exciting nothing make u feel like you want to play more. hey finished level 1. oh great what does level 2 have. wtf its the same as level one. BS!!!!! wait every character is the same for shots major BS!!!!!! wth stern. a 5 year old could have made better rules than that sh!t!!!!

You lost your mind. Your head is full of ROT.

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

hi all
i am over munsters. what a waste of a game. massive disappointment. total sh!t!!!!!! the game has everything to be great and what a pos for the code. nothing exciting nothing make u feel like you want to play more. hey finished level 1. oh great what does level 2 have. wtf its the same as level one. BS!!!!! wait every character is the same for shots major BS!!!!!! wth stern. a 5 year old could have made better rules than that sh!t!!!!

Oh, you have a PRO. Sorry.

#185 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

You lost your mind. Your head is full of ROT.

I'm sure this is just the speech barrier an ROT means something really nice.

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

Stern if your listening send me a PM. I will right up a real set of rules for this game.

I'm sure they'll be contacting you write away!

#187 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No they wouldn’t. Great games are forever. People STILL love & want Addams. Modern math chess games that a few hardcore enjoy will never diminish the perfection of 90’s games design, mechs, and rulesets. Pure fun, no new game will change that.

Speak it!

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

its garbage code. herman. ramps and orbits, grandpa ramps and orbits, spot left ramp, raven ramps and orbits, lilly just hit anything. its worse than jetsons, its the worse code period. SW was fun and deep. munsters is sh!t!!!!!!! what a waste of my money. i cant wait to get rid of this turd of a game.

Exactly what everyone was saying about BM66. Now it's one of Stern's hottest titles. Give it some time.

#189 5 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

Exactly what everyone was saying about BM66. Now it's one of Stern's hottest titles. Give it some time.

Exactly what everyone was saying about “the walking Dud” too

Obviously Lyman coded both those games but still.....patience

#190 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I'm sure this is just the speech barrier an ROT means something really nice.

Yes.

#191 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Couldn't agree more. Not only rules, but today's fascination with high-res LCD's seems to be taking away from the "story telling" and theme integration that make the old classic games click. When I watched part of the recent BK reveal, I was struck by how many folks on the team worked on fancy imagery for the LCD. Nothing wrong with slick graphics, however they are ideally coupled with a story. CGI can be a tool or toy - ultimately, the story is king. For me, LOTR is Stern's most compelling game as far as story telling...the audio, dots, and light show just spot-on. It's so clear that the team loved the franchise and was given the time to polish the result. Look forward to playing Stern's BK to see if the rules/story fit well with all the effort they invested in the LCD graphics.

#192 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, there IS a new Addams Family (Movie) coming out and it Looks s**t!

#193 5 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

B66 is Lyman. Lyman's are the only games where you can say "give it some time". You're taking a multi-year gamble with any other game.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Glad you like it, I’ll never find it magical. A game that lets you pick from 46 characters and has 53 “movie modes” yet has zero characters besides the narrator, and zero clips from the movies will always make this game feel like an unfinished prototype. Back when Spider-Man was unfinished, the 3rd Sandman mode was missing its clips & voices...so it was just a “shoot the lit shot” mode with no satisfying story beats. That was one mode...POTC is an entire GAME of that. I can’t hang. I’d rather play Stern POTC...it has Jack Sparrow & other pirates quipping which gives the game personality. Personality is a standard for pinball...I’m not going to like a game without it.

I'll save a more detailed defense of JJP POTC for its own potential hate thread and just leave it that you'll do yourself a favor, as a pinball fan, by opening your mind more to the many joys the game offers rather than focusing on the movie A/V assets that it lacks. If not, it's your loss.

#195 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Glad you like it, I’ll never find it magical. A game that lets you pick from 46 characters and has 53 “movie modes” yet has zero characters besides the narrator, and zero clips from the movies will always make this game feel like an unfinished prototype. Back when Spider-Man was unfinished, the 3rd Sandman mode was missing its clips & voices...so it was just a “shoot the lit shot” mode with no satisfying story beats. That was one mode...POTC is an entire GAME of that. I can’t hang. I’d rather play Stern POTC...it has Jack Sparrow & other pirates quipping which gives the game personality. Personality is a standard for pinball...I’m not going to like a game without it.

You could've have described this any better. It's how I feel about GOTG and JJP pirates. It is an awful game because the code is absolute shit. It makes no sense. It plays clips over vanilla shoot the blinking shot and has no alternative endings. Contrast that to DeadPool where it interacts with you and tells you you suck when you fail which is fk'n amazeballs.

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I'll save a more detailed defense of JJP POTC for its own potential hate thread and just leave it that you'll do yourself a favor, as a pinball fan, by opening your mind more to the many joys the game offers rather than focusing on the movie A/V assets that it lacks. If not, it's your loss.

A lot of people feel the pinnacle of pinball happened in the 90s. It doesn't seem like there will be much hope of convincing then otherwise.

I disagree with that opinion as I feel it is mostly driven by nostalgia, but as long as people are flipping, who am I to judge.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Here's the thing - if I play my FAVORITE games with the sound off, they're not as fun anymore...even if I think they're brilliant and joyful under normal circumstance. JJPOTC will always have that feeling...it feels like someone partially shut off the sound and clips. If someone ever finds a way to hack the game and add movie clips to go along with all the modes and characters - I'll give it another shot. Until then, too many other things to do in life.

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I really don’t get all the crying about this game. I can’t imagine if all of your beloved bally Williams 90s titles came out now. You’d hate them all

You could say that about any previous generation of pins. People are always going to expect more from the newer games and tech. And for the money they're spending they should expect more. Are you saying they shouldn't?

#199 5 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

You could say that about any previous generation of pins. People are always going to expect more from the newer games and tech. And for the money they're spending they should expect more. Are you saying they shouldn't?

What constitutes as "more"? More complex code? Is that always better? Sometimes less is more. The 90's games still have almost all modern games beat with the PHYSICAL "more"...more interesting physical gameplay elements...mechs, toys, diverters, subways, etc. More for the player to enjoy (and on top of that, the gameplay/code is usually perfectly matched to the physical design).

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Couldn't agree more. Not only rules, but today's fascination with high-res LCD's seems to be taking away from the "story telling" and theme integration that make the old classic games click. When I watched part of the recent BK reveal, I was struck by how many folks on the team worked on fancy imagery for the LCD. Nothing wrong with slick graphics, however they are ideally coupled with a story. CGI can be a tool or toy - ultimately, the story is king. For me, LOTR is Stern's most compelling game as far as story telling...the audio, dots, and light show just spot-on. It's so clear that the team loved the franchise and was given the time to polish the result. Look forward to playing Stern's BK to see if the rules/story fit well with all the effort they invested in the LCD graphics.

Yes, I think the advent of the LCD opened up all these new possibilities and at the same time greatly upped the amount of time that pinball companies had originally thought they would have to spend on high quality art/animations for this new canvas. High-res animations are easy to screw up and then you have to worry about the art direction/style/content/fonts etc matching the playfield/bg/cab art. Also it’s easy to put too much content or at wrong times which distracts from playfield play and companies are still figuring this out.

So the LCD is as much a fantastic new canvas as it is a burden to get right so only occasionally are companies getting this right today. IMO, Maiden is an example where the LCD art direction looks like it was made by a different team than playfield art for example. ACNC has LCD package that really fits with rest of game IMO.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever/page/4?hl=gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.