Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.43.14 AM (resized).png
you-have-chosen-wisely (resized).jpg
F50857BB-03D9-4B08-99E3-855F23907EE6 (resized).jpeg
rim.gif
Annotation 2019-06-03 152929 (resized).png
Resized_20190602_121852.jpeg
Screenshot_20190529-124632_Facebook.jpg
4FF1CF46-5994-4BC1-A7A7-05D2027EEB91.gif

There are 1,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 29.
#101 4 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

I don't get why when someone doesn't like a game it has to be the worst ever, and then start a campaign to get people to agree. If you don't like it - fine, but worst? really? makes no sense at all.

Welcome to Pinside..........

#102 4 years ago

Anyone hate their Munsters that bad and since the code is total crap.
Wanna sell me one dirt cheap?????
Hey some of us prefer the simple easy rules/code. Probably why I like classics and early DMD games so much.
But on the other hand, still room to grow on it.

#103 4 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

Everyone hated on Star Wars, the art, the vanilla layout, but I saw something different. The game rips and the code is deep with a lot of variety and fun shots and modes, the video clips alone put a smile on my face. Star Wars was the last expensive game I kept and plan to keep.
I played Munsters a couple times and knew the code wasn't even close to that kind of code, maybe it will get better with time. Who knows.

I feel the same way about Star Wars and have my SWLE coming on Monday. I was thinking about Munsters but I played it several times and just walked away from it and wanted to play other games.

#104 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I really don’t get all the crying about this game. I can’t imagine if all of your beloved bally Williams 90s titles came out now. You’d hate them all

I dont know, they are coming out now with MMr, MBr and AFMr and new people who never played them are buying them and loving them.

#105 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Seriously? You would pass if you are trying to combo a certain 2 modes together or if you started Tatooine but were focused on destroying either deathstar as an example.
No wonder you hate both games, you have no clue how to play them. SW is incredibly simple when you get to the bones of it. GOT is much more complex.

How am I supposed to have a clue how to play a game when I walk up to it for the first time? All I know is “is this fun or not”. When a game is asking me to pass on something - it’s not fun. You want to make a shot & get a reward. On top of that, it doesn’t explain on the screen what the reason to pass would be. F those games.

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I actually like the game, but agree code is pretty shallow. Iron man is very shallow in a similar way, but it’s a great game so not sure why so much hate for Munsters. Maybe the hate reflects the fact that prices are so high now, so expectations for what the game offers, such as depth, are high. I think what Munsters needs is a diversion every now and then, like some modes or MB’s that take you away from the grind of trying to complete the levels. Tspp does this well, so does DI as does DP.

I think that’s exactly what it is: expectations are sky high for games now since prices continue to rise. I’m not sure we’re going to see a zero price increase on a new release anytime soon (I guess we’ll see tomorrow re: Wonka). I don’t blame people for being a bit pissed, it’s hard to show restraint and try to play everything before you buy (myself included). Hell don’t the LEs sell out before anyone’s gotten to flip it?

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I dont know, they are coming out now with MMr, MBr and AFMr and new people who never played them are buying them and loving them.

I stopped playing pinball for the most part when I graduated high school in 1987 so that's exactly what happened for me. When I started this hobby about 6 years ago those titles were all new to me. I bought my afm having only played one about 5 times at shows.

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Oh now we can add all of these great classics to the list of games that suck along with IMDN lol. Dude seriously, you are totally clueless.

what does he like anyway?

#109 4 years ago
Quoted from whthrs166:

what does he like anyway?

complaining?

#110 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Best. Post. Ever. lol

Best post since I’ve been on pinside.

#111 4 years ago

If Munsters is really hated this much, let me go on the record and say that I will buy the first premium that reaches AC/DC Premium (a much beloved game) prices and that would be 6K. I love the game.

#112 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Munsters is one of Sterns best games ever, it's a masterpiece actually!

Even for old mate WhoDey, that’s pretty funny.

rd

#113 4 years ago
Quoted from mzhulk:

Why are people paying 7000+ on a game without evening playing it first. Don't bet on munsters code ever being finished becouse we all know who is working on it.

Because this community has gone from a tinker's hobby and knowing how to work on games to writing checks, not waiting for code to mature and "paying later."

This community has a REAL problem with needing the brand new most ooooo shiney toy "RIGHT NOW."

Need proof? Watch tomorrow when Wonka is revealed. People will be selling their kids or at least their college trust funds for it.....

And the OP has both GB and SW. You didnt learn your lesson. Sounds like you got it this time.

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

This community has a REAL problem with needing the brand new most ooooo shiney toy "RIGHT NOW."

That’s not just pinball though. It’s everything.

We live in a “I want it NOW!” world.

You mentioned Wonka ... ironically, everyone has become Veruca Salt.

rd

A01026A0-BAE5-48FF-823B-957F26DCA781 (resized).jpegA01026A0-BAE5-48FF-823B-957F26DCA781 (resized).jpeg
#115 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Even for old mate WhoDey, that’s pretty funny.
rd

I truly believe that though RD. Its kinda like your love for AS. I happen to agree with you on how great that game is btw but there are lots and lots of people who think it sucks, more so than Munsters even. AS did not sell well at all. I think its one of the most overlooked and under rated games in pinball history.

#116 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

How am I supposed to have a clue how to play a game when I walk up to it for the first time? All I know is “is this fun or not”. When a game is asking me to pass on something - it’s not fun. You want to make a shot & get a reward. On top of that, it doesn’t explain on the screen what the reason to pass would be. F those games.

Yeah, you should know how to completely play the game the first time up. No need to keep playing to figure more things out down the road.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I truly believe that though RD. Its kinda like your love for AS. Others don’t like it

Different strokes for different folks.

Of the 3 recent “Lonnie” games, I like Aerosmith Pro the best.

- I like the risk/reward of the toybox.
- ball flying though the air never gets old
- I like the doubler of the combo shots.
- great competition game
- good 70s rock songs suit the game perfectly

Simple rules - easy to understand, but hard to master.

That’s pretty much how I like my pinball.

That’s why Ironman continues to deliver, 9 years after I bought it NIB. Simple as hell - fun to play.

Munsters though - although simple to understand- just doesn’t have any “payoff” for me in its current state. Good looker though! And it flows nice. Software just doesn’t tick the boxes as yet.

rd

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That’s not just pinball though. It’s everything.
We live in a “I want it NOW!” world.
You mentioned Wonka ... ironically, everyone has become Veruca Salt.
rd[quoted image]

I like this one

4E380484-8FED-4AEA-923E-856FA485C8A6 (resized).jpeg4E380484-8FED-4AEA-923E-856FA485C8A6 (resized).jpeg
#119 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I didn't start loving pins until around 2006...I liked them, but didn't understand rulesets or anything other than "flip the flippers and don't drain". So - my love of 90's games isn't entirely nostalgic. Good games are forever...and the 90's games are GOOD. That won't change with deeper/more complex/convoluted rulesets of modern games. Sometimes what's there is EXACTLY what a game needs. No more, no less. There's a reason people still love playing Pac-Man. It's exactly what THAT game needs to be, and it's still fun. Same with 90's pins. It's a myth that depth equals fun. Excellent design with excellent rules = fun. At the end of the day, a pinball is a 3 ball short experience. Sometimes less is more.

Yes, all you have to do is make the game fun.
Deep rules, shallow rules, lots of toys, no toys..... doesn't matter. Just has to be FUN.
Terry.

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

Yeah, you should know how to completely play the game the first time up. No need to keep playing to figure more things out down the road.

Good games, even deep ruleset games, have something anyone can understand right off the bat that result in something fun/cool.

LOTR - Shoot the ring---random mode will start---mode rules are clear.
TSPP - Shoot the garage---ball pops up top---shot to the couch clearly locks for multiball, player knows to do it again. Shot to the TV starts a random mode, mode rules are clear.

These games have a chain of events any novice can figure out relatively quickly. From there, they discover more and more and more until they have a satisfying gameplay/learning experience.

Games like SW are 100% slot machine/board game rulesets...there's really nothing up front to ease you in organically. Some like these types of games, some don't...they're clearly divisive, and I have valid reasons for disliking them. I haven't read up on SW ruleset...but I've played it tons...I have NO IDEA what's going on...it's just rando blinking colors, a lockbar button that doesn't make sense, choices like 2 modes instead of 1 or pass that don't make sense to me, a confusing LCD that looks like a PC CD-ROM with walls of text. Not for me. My wife is a HUUUUUGE Star Wars fan, and even being ultra familiar and in love with the material, she HATES the game. She'd rather play the DE version.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

hi all
i am over munsters. what a waste of a game. massive disappointment. total sh!t!!!!!! the game has everything to be great and what a pos for the code. nothing exciting nothing make u feel like you want to play more. hey finished level 1. oh great what does level 2 have. wtf its the same as level one. BS!!!!! wait every character is the same for shots major BS!!!!!! wth stern. a 5 year old could have made better rules than that sh!t!!!!

Worse than Raven?

#122 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Good games, even deep ruleset games, have something anyone can understand right off the bat that result in something fun/cool.
LOTR - Shoot the ring---random mode will start---mode rules are clear.
TSPP - Shoot the garage---ball pops up top---shot to the couch clearly locks for multiball, player knows to do it again. Shot to the TV starts a random mode, mode rules are clear.
These games have a chain of events any novice can figure out relatively quickly. From there, they discover more and more and more until they have a satisfying gameplay/learning experience.
Games like SW are 100% slot machine/board game rulesets...there's really nothing up front to ease you in organically. Some like these types of games, some don't...they're clearly divisive, and I have valid reasons for disliking them. I haven't read up on SW ruleset...but I've played it tons...I have NO IDEA what's going on...it's just rando blinking colors, a lockbar button that doesn't make sense, choices like 2 modes instead of 1 or pass that don't make sense to me, a confusing LCD that looks like a PC CD-ROM with walls of text. Not for me. My wife is a HUUUUUGE Star Wars fan, and even being ultra familiar and in love with the material, she HATES the game. She'd rather play the DE version.

I agree with some of what you are saying, Star Wars can be a little intense.

What I disagree with is Munsters is nothing like that. Keep hitting a shot too start that mode then shoot the blinking lights. The only "confusing" thing would be the jackpot cancellation.

I'm not saying you need to like it, but I just don't buy it as a confusing game.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

I agree with some of what you are saying, Star Wars can be a little intense.
What I disagree with is Munsters is nothing like that. Keep hitting a shot too start that mode then shoot the blinking lights. The only "confusing" thing would be the jackpot cancellation.
I'm not saying you need to like it, but I just don't buy it as a confusing game.

Oh yeah, I don't think Munsters is confusing at all.

I still don't like the Jackpot cancelation...but, I understand it. I just literally never want to see another game with "make the shot, cancel the prize" rules ever again.

#124 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Haha, I would have loved to have seen a video of the first time you walked up to JJP POTC. I picture a lot of screaming and F bombs.

#125 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I actually like the game, but agree code is pretty shallow. Iron man is very shallow in a similar way, but it’s a great game so not sure why so much hate for Munsters. Maybe the hate reflects the fact that prices are so high now, so expectations for what the game offers, such as depth, are high. I think what Munsters needs is a diversion every now and then, like some modes or MB’s that take you away from the grind of trying to complete the levels. Tspp does this well, so does DI as does DP.

For me, the Iron Man theme is much more fun than Munsters. Even though IM is a simple game, the music, callouts and sound are excellent. I haven't played Munsters, but it's not a theme that resonates with me. Regardless of code, it was never on my radar.

Rob

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#126 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Crap ton of Munsters for sale.

Bullshit
So there are what,10? LEs for sale?
Out of 600
Ok

#127 4 years ago

Munsters is dope it’s throwback rules go buy WD or Batman
It fits right in with my 90s pins
Pinside threads like this are goofy

#128 4 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

Bullshit
So there are what,10? LEs for sale?
Out of 600
Ok

Actually there's only been a 5-6 le/premiums for sale on the second hand market here on pinside. There have been 15-20 pros for sale but half of those were to upgrade to a premium.

#129 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:I hate all of the MM, CV, MB, CC, AFM era of games. those games are not for me.

Wow best games ever made man

#130 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Haha, I would have loved to have seen a video of the first time you walked up to JJP POTC. I picture a lot of screaming and F bombs.

No screaming, but absolute confusion due to the Magic The Gathering ruleset and boredom due to the game having absolutely no assets from the movie. Terrible game. Let us never speak of it again.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from mdclips:

I too, have many games along side my GB prem and Munsters LE get tons of play by me and others. I like difficult games with straightforward goals and obvious things to shoot for. I love my GB prem and my Munsters LE. Sure the code could be improved for each of them, but that hasnt stopped me from going back to them over and over. Also, both of these games have excellent music soundtracks imo.
I don't get why when someone doesn't like a game it has to be the worst ever, and then start a campaign to get people to agree. If you don't like it - fine, but worst? really? makes no sense at all.

I wonder if the Magic Girl buyers would like to borrow the title to this thread?

#132 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Actually there's only been a 5-6 le/premiums for sale on the second hand market here on pinside. There have been 15-20 pros for sale but half of those were to upgrade to a premium.

Exactly 5-6 or six
One guy was selling one because he had 2
Pretty good clip if you ask me they made 600 of the things

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I actually like the game, but agree code is pretty shallow. Iron man is very shallow in a similar way, but it’s a great game so not sure why so much hate for Munsters. Maybe the hate reflects the fact that prices are so high now, so expectations for what the game offers, such as depth, are high. ...

Exactly ... rightly or wrongly, it hasn't delivered on the majority of pinheads' expectations.

Until it does ... FAIL!

Pure and simple. And regardless of whatever Who-Dey claims to the contrary.

#134 4 years ago

One question. Why did you buy a game you hate?

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

No screaming, but absolute confusion due to the Magic The Gathering ruleset and boredom due to the game having absolutely no assets from the movie. Terrible game. Let us never speak of it again.

C'mon man - I expect better of you! That's absolutely absurd as the rules aren't that difficult to understand and JJP POTC is truly magical on SO MANY levels. Despite its obviously limited movie video and audio assets.

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It’s 2019. People buy $6000-$25,000 games without playing them. Totally normal.

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Because he got to make a Munsters hate thread on Pinside. Thats totally worth $5600 dollars.

#138 4 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

i shouldnt be able to see everything a game has to offer on 3 balls.

Just curious, what are you scoring on the rinse repeat gameplay that you hate so much?

#139 4 years ago

The game is mind numbingly basic. It is not fun to play and you should sell it quickly before you lose a potential buyer to the multitudes of them out there for sell by unhappy owners who it's just not there thing and they like taking a 500-700.00 hit off the top.

#140 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

i love the theme, shots, art etc. I am patient with code development. I understand it takes time to polish a game. I have BM66. That took a couple of years to become an amazing game. the development of this code has been very poor. .98 to .99 pointless. so close to being 1.0 with little to no previous updates that are worth anything beyond release code.

There is no accomplishments. no real purpose in playing anything for anything beside points. the same sound effects for every mode. the same "no ending" for every mode. 75% of the game is copy and paste. level2 is the same as level 1. 3/5 of the level modes (herman, raven, grandpa) are basically the same.

its a flip for points game. nothing else. nothing different than an EM with a color display. I had an iron man. Code is simple but far more fun in 1 mode than the entire code of munsters. The munster madness feels pointless. no achievements no different sounds no different effects no point in getting there.

There is no connection in game play and theme. All of those episodes and nothing? come on dragula should be a mode in itself. a drag race of hitting alternate ramps and you get gramps to the end you get a big bonus. its not very difficult to think of these things. it just wasnt and wont be done.

Heck throw in a commercial break bonus.

I am not bashing what people like. there are games for everyone. to me this game is pointless other than to flip to get points. I could play an episode of welcome back carter and would be no different.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

AND post about it? So we can all argue about it...hating a game and posting gets way more traction than liking a game and posting....

machine is fun, and all the code in the world won't give another game the badass lower PF this game has, nor the tough as shit dual button control for madness.

Sell it....buy something you want/ like....thanks for the wisdom...keeping mine as I enjoy playing it, and much different than any of my current games, in a good way...(back to the "will CGC remake Alien" thread.....there are raccoons there).....

#142 4 years ago

I think the game is really fun. Nice shots and amazing video. Actually all pinball is fun!!! Except Thunderturds. That is one game I just simply could not play. It broke 5 times in a hour at TPA. So sad!

#143 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Yes, all you have to do is make the game fun.
Deep rules, shallow rules, lots of toys, no toys..... doesn't matter. Just has to be FUN.
Terry.

There's that common sense thing again Terry...no place for that here...

#144 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I still don't like the Jackpot cancelation...but, I understand it. I just literally never want to see another game with "make the shot, cancel the prize" rules ever again.

Not to change the subject. But whats your thoughts on GOTG pro and prem/LE?

#145 4 years ago

"BUT IT'S SOOOOOOOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!"

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I refuse to ever cancel a jackpot, so my scores will always suck, I guess (wait, they were never that great to start with)....must be the code, dammit!!! Love the game...much fun

#147 4 years ago

Some will never learn!!!!

#148 4 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Not to change the subject. But whats your thoughts on GOTG pro and prem/LE?

Garbage of the Galaxy? Garbage. Hate everything about it, and I love the movies. Bobaleebobo fake voices destroy it. Don’t care about Cleland’s mod...I want it done right by the pros from the get go.

#149 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

I refuse to ever cancel a jackpot, so my scores will always suck, I guess (wait, they were never that great to start with)....must be the code, dammit!!! Love the game...much fun

MK you gotta stack them Jackpots brother, thats what makes the game such a rush!

#150 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

C'mon man - I expect better of you! That's absolutely absurd as the rules aren't that difficult to understand and JJP POTC is truly magical on SO MANY levels. Despite its obviously limited movie video and audio assets.

Glad you like it, I’ll never find it magical. A game that lets you pick from 46 characters and has 53 “movie modes” yet has zero characters besides the narrator, and zero clips from the movies will always make this game feel like an unfinished prototype. Back when Spider-Man was unfinished, the 3rd Sandman mode was missing its clips & voices...so it was just a “shoot the lit shot” mode with no satisfying story beats. That was one mode...POTC is an entire GAME of that. I can’t hang. I’d rather play Stern POTC...it has Jack Sparrow & other pirates quipping which gives the game personality. Personality is a standard for pinball...I’m not going to like a game without it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
Shooter rods
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever/page/3?hl=gunnut40 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.