Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.43.14 AM (resized).png
you-have-chosen-wisely (resized).jpg
F50857BB-03D9-4B08-99E3-855F23907EE6 (resized).jpeg
rim.gif
Annotation 2019-06-03 152929 (resized).png
Resized_20190602_121852.jpeg
Screenshot_20190529-124632_Facebook.jpg
4FF1CF46-5994-4BC1-A7A7-05D2027EEB91.gif
There are 1,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 29.
#51 5 years ago

Yes im just fine, sitting here laughing at the people who talk about how bad this game sucks because they dont have a clue what they are talking about. Munsters is one of Sterns best games ever, it's a masterpiece actually!

The OP probably had a few sheeple following his lead until he said IMDN sucks. He pretty much blew any credibility that he may have had at that point.

No game is for everyone and we all realize that but most people who says this game sucks obviously hasn't played it much, hates the theme, or they don't understand the rules because this game is f*cking fun as hell.

If you like pinball and can't find at least some enjoyment out of this pin then you need to find another hobby because you probably dont like pinball at all. I havent had this much fun playing pinball in a long time.

#52 5 years ago

Two words:

CASH GRAB

#53 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

I hate all of the MM, CV, MB, CC, AFM era of games. those games are not for me.

Oh now we can add all of these great classics to the list of games that suck along with IMDN lol. Dude seriously, you are totally clueless.

#54 5 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Paging who-dey.....Munsters better than BK3?

Hell yeah dude, not even close.

#55 5 years ago
Quoted from iamdrunker:

Interesting reading, Trying to learn. Code must be how the game reacts to different targets, ramps, or rollovers that are hit? So do manufactures have ways of downloading new or different codes directly into your games to change what it does? Can people write their own codes?

If you don't put on your hat and Mittens you might catch a code...

#56 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

Geez. Maybe you just don't like pinball.

Have you considered other things like bowling or racing cars?

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Vireland and I agree sometimes and sometimes we do not.

Well that means you're only wrong sometimes.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I rather have Munsters as well over BK3. The constant heavy drumming in the BK3 main theme would drive me nuts after a while. The Munsters premium / LE mini playfield looks pretty cool, detailed and resembles something from the theme versus the large unappealing metal catapult ball lock in BK3 with a couple plastics screwed to it. The lack of a second ramp in BK3 also hurts the games layout in my opinion.

BK3 code doesn't look very deep currently. There's 5 main modes, and a wizard mode. Theres mulitballs in there too and the classic mode but I don't see 5 modes being enough considering there are not 2nd and 3rd level variants of them.

#59 5 years ago

Hahah.. wow... the guy responsible for Munsters code was also responsible for GB? And people still bought it? Comedy.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Haven’t flipped BKSoR yet just like almost everyone not going to MGC, but I have flipped Munsters and watched the BK stream. I love the BK franchise, but a Munsters Pre/LE would make me happier than a BKSoR Pro because I own Grandpa’s Lab 1.0, so I am a little partial, but the new music on BKSoR was too in my face/melt my face off so I would still lean Munsters for now. As with all Sterns, all bets are off until the last code update drops.

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from CosmoJoe:

Hahah.. wow... the guy responsible for Munsters code was also responsible for GB? And people still bought it? Comedy.

He also did Game of Thrones, which is one of my favorite rulesets, and Star Wars, which started out crap and is now pretty great. So he CAN do good work. It's not like he's a Lonnie or anything.

#62 5 years ago

He's been called...

whodey (resized).jpgwhodey (resized).jpg

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you like pinball and can't find at least some enjoyment out of this pin then you need to find another hobby because you probably dont like pinball at all.

Even I can agree with this. But the price of admission for mediocre is still very steep. That's the core problem. Dwight needs to rethink his approach to the code. It has X-Men/TWD/Batman'66 launch code-itis.

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

He's been called...
[quoted image]

Best. Post. Ever. lol

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Best. Post. Ever. lol

That was good for sure!

#66 5 years ago

Here is the thing. I have owned MMr and beat it. Played CV many many times. I get why people like them but they are not the games for me. I do like Munsters as I said before. It has everything I want in the game except the code. The code of it has no drive at all. There is no OMG i reached this level feeling ever in that game. Hand of the King - awesome, destroy the death star - awesome, defeat smaug - awesome, Horde - awesome. Those are all amazing moments in those games. can you honestly say munster madness is awesome? its fun for an 80s game.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Even I can agree with this. But the price of admission for mediocre is still very steep. That's the core problem. Dwight needs to rethink his approach to the code. It has X-Men/TWD/Batman'66 launch code-itis.

I still disagree with you but thats ok too. I find the game a total blast to play instead of mediocre, but even if you dont like it enough to own it, to say it sucks is just insane to me. I can see a guy saying....ehh I wouldn’t buy one but its not that bad or maybe I’d play it out in the wild occasionally or something like that but to say this game flat out sucks? No way in hell.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I still disagreed with you but thats ok too. I find the game a total blast to play instead of mediocre, but even if you dont like it enough to own it, to say it sucks is just insane to me. I can see a guy saying....ehh I wouldn’t buy one but its not that bad or maybe I’d play it out in the wild occasionally or something like that but to say this game flat out sucks? No way in hell.

I have to admit she is brutal which I am enjoying currently, unless you sissyfied the game in anyway via rules or posts. It is nice to be able to explain the rules in a few mins to someone and play. Not a saga rule set, but a great shooting competitive pin. Lately I am just fighting the pin it feels like, no need for another player.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

Here is the thing. I have owned MMr and beat it. Played CV many many times. I get why people like them but they are not the games for me. I do like Munsters as I said before. It has everything I want in the game except the code. The code of it has no drive at all. There is no OMG i reached this level feeling ever in that game. Hand of the King - awesome, destroy the death star - awesome, defeat smaug - awesome, Horde - awesome. Those are all amazing moments in those games. can you honestly say munster madness is awesome? its fun for an 80s game.

This game isnt so much about reaching levels or wizard modes though, its about cashing in big jackpots. That does sound boring i agree and maybe it could have been coded to be more mode oriented, i wont even argue that but chasing these jackpots is fun as hell and very challenging. Also there may be more added even who knows? The game has been out for only two or three months for God sakes. Not only are the jackpots fun though, its beautiful, its a great design by Borg as usual, great light show, the modes are still pretty fun, animations are cool, lower playfield is a lot of fun too. Theres a whole lot to like about this game.

#70 5 years ago

Keep it up, Pinside!!! Can’t wait to get a Munsters Prem for like $2k in a few years. Wooo!

#71 5 years ago

I would say that “worse code ever” is a bit of hyperbole along with being painful to read.

It’s certainly not the worse code ever.

#72 5 years ago

i get all of what your saying. but its just missing a lot. chase jackpots. ok. thats it? 6x multilier and cash in. ok. but still no moments. i use to like simple code like BoP, pinbot and data east games. But even BoP had a moment when u get to the billionares club.

I love borgs stuff. A point chaser game does nothing for me. Sounds are great, artwork amazing, shots are buttery smooth. I am just very disappointed in the lack of code.

sorry to rant on and on.

#73 5 years ago

He did expect high hopes for this game, month's ago.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

Serious question.....Why?

I had a Medieval Madness which didn't last long with me but I love Attack from Mars and Twilight Zone from that era.

#75 5 years ago

I I I Don't like talking chairs. I get it this game is not for me either, when you see the next pin drop before this one even has the play field cure yet you know something is up. I don't like the layout rules, stop and go, video clips...

#76 5 years ago

You bought a Munsters Pro. You are missing half the game!!! Lower PF is awesome!

#77 5 years ago

strummy i have played the snot out of those games. old hat. i get why people love them. i am just over them.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

I am just very disappointed in the lack of code.

I can even appreciate you saying that, but the title to your thread is “Worst code ever”. No way it’s the worst code ever, its pretty fun actually. It probably could have been better but you could say that about almost any game out there.

#79 5 years ago

Pro might not be your bag. I'm digging my Premium.

Code very straightforward and not hundred of layers deep.

Love it. Good work stern.

#80 5 years ago

Usually Dwight does not change much after game release so if you don’t like it when you play it when it first comes out; it pretty much stays the same; unlike Deadpool where tanio added a ton of stuff

#81 5 years ago

BKSOR looking kinda sad,... upper is useless ....sounds, music, theme, evil, fire, off the hook.... but something is missing....R.I.P. Munsters.....

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Keep it up, Pinside!!! Can’t wait to get a Munsters Prem for like $2k in a few years. Wooo!

2K by Christmas!

#83 5 years ago

It most definitely sucks, time to move on and forget about this piece of shhhh

#84 5 years ago

I was so glad I sold my pro for $5275.. lesson learned, gonna play BKSOR and Wonka friday at MGC and make a decision on my next pin.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

Jesus H... just sell the damn game and buy another Stern like the other 7 you have. I'm lowering my offer for your Munsters to 8 bucks after all the bashing it's taking on here. Speaking of worst code, I'll give you 20 bucks for that shit code Ghostbusters you have.

#86 5 years ago

I've enjoyed Munsters. Pro not as much as Premium, and I really like everything about the LE. It's a theme that resonates with me after watching the TV show for a long time; it's really pretty; Grandpa's Laboratory is a fun distraction... I agree that the long pauses, like starting Dragula, are annoying, but you kind of need that to have time to decide whether or not to abandon to stack, or cash out. I understand that the latest code shortens the wait (I haven't seen it yet). Maybe if I ever get to y'all's level of pinball wizardry I won't like it anymore, but right now, for this pinball hack, it's fun and entertaining.

#87 5 years ago

I actually like the game, but agree code is pretty shallow. Iron man is very shallow in a similar way, but it’s a great game so not sure why so much hate for Munsters. Maybe the hate reflects the fact that prices are so high now, so expectations for what the game offers, such as depth, are high. I think what Munsters needs is a diversion every now and then, like some modes or MB’s that take you away from the grind of trying to complete the levels. Tspp does this well, so does DI as does DP.

#88 5 years ago

I really don’t get all the crying about this game. I can’t imagine if all of your beloved bally Williams 90s titles came out now. You’d hate them all

#89 5 years ago

Everyone hated on Star Wars, the art, the vanilla layout, but I saw something different. The game rips and the code is deep with a lot of variety and fun shots and modes, the video clips alone put a smile on my face. Star Wars was the last expensive game I kept and plan to keep.

I played Munsters a couple times and knew the code wasn't even close to that kind of code, maybe it will get better with time. Who knows.

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

i cant wait to get rid of this turd of a game.

I am sure this helps the resale value that said this thread reminds me of when a person says I am leaving this group and does it with drama no quite exit for them

#91 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I really don’t get all the crying about this game. I can’t imagine of all of your beloved bally Williams 90s titles came out now. You’d hate them all

I just bought an Addams to see what I was missing. 2nd game I played I toured the Mansion and it was “that’s it?”. Not only is it shallow, but it’s so freakin easy. Yet it’s a top 10 game. Likely I’ll be selling this well before Munsters.

Is it because we buy Sterns because they are more brutal and deep and are disappointed if they aren’t?

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I really don’t get all the crying about this game. I can’t imagine if all of your beloved bally Williams 90s titles came out now. You’d hate them all

Fact

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

maybe i'm alone here but i think most people can see them for what they are. innovative for the time they were made combined with an elton john-sized pair of rose colored nostalgia goggles. of course the code doesn't compare with almost anything from the modern era.

still waiting to form my own opinion on munsters after i get some good time with it. all the 'shallow code' talk is a bit disheartening but if it shoots great there is a place for that kind of game in a lineup imo.

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Iron man is very shallow in a similar way, but it’s a great game so not sure why so much hate for Munsters.

I think some of it is just how the game is choreographed & the nature of "action" vs. "comedy" implementation in pinball. In Iron Man, you're FIGHTING Monger. It's exciting to hit him, and he tries to attack back with the magnet. You're fighting Whiplash & War Machine as well. It's a simple AF game, but very immersive.

Munsters probably needs a bit more of a Pavlovian effect...each shot to a character that counts for progress should give you a jokey clip. Maybe that's improved with the last code revision or two, but for example when I played, hitting the Eddie shots didn't result in any Eddie related clips. Since the game has a simpler ruleset like MB, MB is a good template. Every time you hit a character's shot, you get a little quip from them.

Also - I really think in general players DO NOT LIKE rules that include "hit this shot, then choose to NOT get the reward". I really hate GOT & SW due to the "start this mode, that mode, or pass" rules....WTF would I want to pass? The game doesn't explain it, and it's intrinsically not satisfying.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from anathematize:

maybe i'm alone here but i think most people can see them for what they are. innovative for the time they were made combined with an elton john-sized pair of rose colored nostalgia goggles. of course the code doesn't compare with almost anything from the modern era.

I didn't start loving pins until around 2006...I liked them, but didn't understand rulesets or anything other than "flip the flippers and don't drain". So - my love of 90's games isn't entirely nostalgic. Good games are forever...and the 90's games are GOOD. That won't change with deeper/more complex/convoluted rulesets of modern games. Sometimes what's there is EXACTLY what a game needs. No more, no less. There's a reason people still love playing Pac-Man. It's exactly what THAT game needs to be, and it's still fun. Same with 90's pins. It's a myth that depth equals fun. Excellent design with excellent rules = fun. At the end of the day, a pinball is a 3 ball short experience. Sometimes less is more.

#96 5 years ago

Tron is an example of a game that doesn't have the deepest code, but for whatever reason, it never gets old and what's there is just about perfect.

However, Tron has 3 flippers and flows likes a river. End of Line.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I actually like the game, but agree code is pretty shallow. Iron man is very shallow in a similar way, but it’s a great game so not sure why so much hate for Munsters. Maybe the hate reflects the fact that prices are so high now, so expectations for what the game offers, such as depth, are high. I think what Munsters needs is a diversion every now and then, like some modes or MB’s that take you away from the grind of trying to complete the levels. Tspp does this well, so does DI as does DP.

I agree. And Imagine Ironman without the iron monger. That’s pretty much how this review of Munsters (Pro) is.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I think some of it is just how the game is choreographed & the nature of "action" vs. "comedy" implementation in pinball. In Iron Man, you're FIGHTING Monger. It's exciting to hit him, and he tries to attack back with the magnet. You're fighting Whiplash & War Machine as well. It's a simple AF game, but very immersive.
Munsters probably needs a bit more of a Pavlovian effect...each shot to a character that counts for progress should give you a jokey clip. Maybe that's improved with the last code revision or two, but for example when I played, hitting the Eddie shots didn't result in any Eddie related clips. Since the game has a simpler ruleset like MB, MB is a good template. Every time you hit a character's shot, you get a little quip from them.
Also - I really think in general players DO NOT LIKE rules that include "hit this shot, then choose to NOT get the reward". I really hate GOT & SW due to the "start this mode, that mode, or pass" rules....WTF would I want to pass? The game doesn't explain it, and it's intrinsically not satisfying.

Seriously? You would pass if you are trying to combo a certain 2 modes together or if you started Tatooine but were focused on destroying either deathstar as an example.

No wonder you hate both games, you have no clue how to play them. SW is incredibly simple when you get to the bones of it. GOT is much more complex.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

What is the point of your thread? Sure you like pinball and pinball machines?

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

Vireland and I agree sometimes and sometimes we do not. All of what he says could be true, but it doesn't change the fact I have 6 pins in my basement and the Munsters and GB are the 2 pins that get the most play 5 to 1 when the neighborhood folks stop by to "chat". WOZ sits there really pretty, but most don't know what to shoot for, and Batman confuses the hell out of everyone. Sometimes the builders have to pander to us chimp-flippers........

I too, have many games along side my GB prem and Munsters LE get tons of play by me and others. I like difficult games with straightforward goals and obvious things to shoot for. I love my GB prem and my Munsters LE. Sure the code could be improved for each of them, but that hasnt stopped me from going back to them over and over. Also, both of these games have excellent music soundtracks imo.

I don't get why when someone doesn't like a game it has to be the worst ever, and then start a campaign to get people to agree. If you don't like it - fine, but worst? really? makes no sense at all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

12,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

6,489 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

There are 1,425 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 29.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-worse-code-ever/page/2?hl=anathematize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.