Topic Stats

• 1,422 posts
  • 259 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Tranquilize
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 29 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 11.55.08 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 11.54.36 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 11.54.02 AM (resized).png
486E1FCB-39FB-4381-95B6-B12D5D64FD74 (resized).jpeg
gb (resized).JPG
9A4CECC1-5A76-48D6-A9BE-2030FE62E297.gif
A8397363-64AD-4B32-9DCC-645D9491CADF (resized).jpeg
saint-vic (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2019-06-08 at 11.43.14 AM (resized).png
you-have-chosen-wisely (resized).jpg
F50857BB-03D9-4B08-99E3-855F23907EE6 (resized).jpeg
rim.gif
Annotation 2019-06-03 152929 (resized).png
Resized_20190602_121852.jpeg
Screenshot_20190529-124632_Facebook.jpg
4FF1CF46-5994-4BC1-A7A7-05D2027EEB91.gif

There are 1422 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 29.
#1201 7 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

You're just being disrespectful now.

Lol yeah ok whatever. Ive actually been much nicer about it than i would like to be trust me. Don't act like you are a Saint in all of this Vireland because you arent.

#1202 7 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Well, that doesn't actually matter to anyone except you. The point is you're being hypocritical and annoying by breaking your own "rules."

(Pssst. Ignore button. It's Pinside's bug spray. Use it.)

#1203 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

(Pssst. Ignore button. It's Pinside's bug spray. Use it.)

I don't ignore button lightly. But point taken.

#1204 7 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Lol yeah ok whatever. Ive actually been much nicer about it than i would like to be trust me. Don't act like you are a Saint in all of this Vireland because you arent.

Are you SUUUUUURE?

saint-vic (resized).jpg
#1205 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

There hasn't been one "deep" LCD era game that even remotely has the artistic and "master game creator" touch that the older games have...not one of them has made me want to come back and play them again. Maybe Batman with Lyman behind it...but unfortunately the playfield & features aren't great.

Have you tried ACNC or POTC ? I think those are 2 of the deepest games ever made

#1206 7 months ago
Quoted from sleepygtr:

Have you tried ACNC or POTC ? I think those are 2 of the deepest games ever made

Like I said, deep doesn’t always mean good. POTC is DOA due to lack of assets. Deep means nothing when there’s no content or personality to go with it. With no context for the modes or shots, it’s just a lot of “hit the colored thing for points”. That’s boring. I played AC a few times, had no idea what to do. It lacks any satisfying features to interact with, so I suppose I must read the code book before going in to get anything out of it.

#1207 7 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You may be in topic but the thread was bullshit from the get go and thats my point.

So be an adult and fucking drain it already.

#1208 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Like I said, deep doesn’t always mean good. POTC is DOA due to lack of assets. Deep means nothing when there’s no content or personality to go with it. With no context for the modes or shots, it’s just a lot of “hit the colored thing for points”. That’s boring.

I could not disagree with this more. Did you actually PLAY jjPotC where you could HEAR it (or play it at all? You replied like you've only watched it)? The soundtrack, callouts, and light show are AMAZING. Easily the best soundtrack so far this century. Nothing else comes close. There's a lot to do and it can be overwhelming for a while, but it's a sight and sound smorgasbord and so much fun with two players because of the novel plunder mechanic.

#1209 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I played AC a few times, had no idea what to do.

Deep does not always mean good is certainly true, but canning the entire LCD era is a little outlandish. Both AC and POTC exude the personality of their themes and creators - both have amazing code, but just like the old games you will have to play them more than "a few times" to appreciate any game with depth, right?

#1210 7 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

I could not disagree with this more. Did you actually PLAY jjPotC where you could HEAR it (or play it at all? You replied like you've only watched it)? The soundtrack, callouts, and light show are AMAZING. Easily the best soundtrack so far this century. Nothing else comes close. There's a lot to do and it can be overwhelming for a while, but it's a sight and sound smorgasbord and so much fun with two players because of the novel plunder mechanic.

Yes, I've played JJPOTC where I could hear it. Soundtrack is great, I love Theil....but what callouts? It's just one guy. Nothing from the 48 characters, no Jack Sparrow, no scenes or anything from the movies...it totally feels unfinished without any of that. You start a Wedding mode...there's nothing about a wedding while you play it. What's the point? I'd rather play the Stern version.

Quoted from sleepygtr:

Deep does not always mean good is certainly true, but canning the entire LCD era is a little outlandish. Both AC and POTC exude the personality of their themes and creators - both have amazing code, but just like the old games you will have to play them more than "a few times" to appreciate any game with depth, right?

I love TNA. That's an LCD game I also really like Hobbit, but since we're in weird bizzaro pinball world, just that statement will get me shanked. Here's what I love about old games that almost no new games do: There is something really cool on the playfield that you know you want to interact with. You instinctively do that because it looks cool, and its satisfying to do. Then, after you do that...you can kind of organically learn nuance after nuance until you understand the ruleset. New games don't have anything cool on the playfield, so you have to know the entire ruleset before you do anything to get any enjoyment out of it. That's not the pinball I enjoy, sorry.

I'll play ACNC more if I encounter it. It seemed like something I could warm up to...but it didn't insta-grab me, that's for sure.

#1211 7 months ago

I enjoy the Munsters, I never really fully understood basic game strategy on this title but really like how the game shoots. After watching this tutorial by Eric Stone this title is far from the worst code ever. There is plenty of depth and so much layers that a novice vs the competitive player will enjoy. I don't like the voice call outs in this game, but love the art and the way he game shoots. Check this tutorial out to understand the rule set better!
I have a new appreciation for this title and look forward to playing one!

twitch.tv/pinballasylum

#1212 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I love TNA. That's an LCD game

Heck I was just quoting you from above - I like TNA a lot also. I also agree with your points and ironically what drew me into both games was the innovative ship on the POTC and the castle on ACNC. Particularly on ACNC, which i have now played a lot, and granted this is like the one eyed man on the island of the blind but it is (for me) easily the best upper playfield in all of pinball.

#1213 7 months ago

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/441981343

Hopefully this link works for the Munsters tutorial!

#1214 7 months ago
Quoted from Kingpin22:

I enjoy the Munsters, I never really fully understood basic game strategy on this title but really like how the game shoots

I think we all did, thats the point of the thread. A game that it is visibly beautiful, with a cool retro theme and some toys that really passes the eye test - but when you play it seems kinda empty, code wise.

I came here as someone who was REALLY looking forward to this theme and then when I played it, was like, thats' it?? so i was looking around to see if more folks felt the same and more importantly hoping more code updates would be in the works but sounds like this Dwight guy is a build it and move on dude so it is what it is. Hoping it's not a trend.

#1215 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, I've played JJPOTC where I could hear it. Soundtrack is great, I love Theil....but what callouts?

Gibbs does a TON of great callouts, and you also have the pirate "Arrrrrs" and the random parrot callouts. I don't feel like I'm missing something when playing it. If someone didn't know this was based on a movie series they would think it was an extremely good pirate pinball game. The best yet. Destroys Black Rose and Stern PotC

Quoted from Rarehero:

What's the point? I'd rather play the Stern version.

I don't know many people who would be of this opinion after playing both extensively. Stern's is SO BORING. The ship's a great toy, but that's about it.

#1216 7 months ago

Wow. Did this thread go off topic! So many posts, I thought a new update was out.

Wife really interested in this one. I don’t mind simple rinse and repeat like WCS94 (ahem, there are some very simple 90’s games, lets not kid ourselves) because it is awesome fun. Goals never get old. For now will keep this great old game, but if a truly awesome game came along this might go. AFM never going anywhere. Some will disagree and say that AFM is too simple and boring each to their own.

Anyway, we will go check it out. If she says she must have Munsters, then we will get it. I bought JJP POTC so She can have whatever she wants.

It looks awesome (interested in Premium B&W) love the theme, looks fun and fast to play (I don’t own any stern borg fan layouts so will not be copying anything in my collection), but the code does have me worried. As I said if it is as deep as WCS94 then that’s fine. But if it is as shallow as Bad Cats then I’m worried. Because theme and beauty of BC tops Munsters for us.

If code is enriched in Munsters then it would make our decision for ownership much easier. Will let wife decide.

#1217 7 months ago

Wow, WTF.

A bunch of losers in this thread!

Play pinball, enjoy the games you like, life’s short.

This thread has gone way past constructive, to just nasty (my opinion is 100% right).

Grow up people.

Go play and enjoy pinball. The industry is strong - be appreciative. You will look back at some point and appreciate what we really have going on right now.

#1218 7 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

Gibbs does a TON of great callouts, and you also have the pirate "Arrrrrs" and the random parrot callouts. I don't feel like I'm missing something when playing it. If someone didn't know this was based on a movie series they would think it was an extremely good pirate pinball game. The best yet. Destroys Black Rose and Stern PotC

I don't know many people who would be of this opinion after playing both extensively. Stern's is SO BORING. The ship's a great toy, but that's about it.

Yeah the Stern one gets boring...but it’s entertianing for a little while & sinking the ship & fighting the Kraken is more fun than anything I experienced in POTC. I didn’t find JJPOTC entertaining at all. The character selection is confusing from the get go. The modes based on movie events with zero context or content attached is a miss, it just feels like a weird slot machine with nice music, not what I expect from a $10k pinball machine. I know you don’t like Hobbit, but after playing a cinematic game like that with tons of voice clips in addition to custom callouts (like all good licensed pinball machines)...POTC just feels wrong.

#1219 7 months ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Go play and enjoy pinball. The industry is strong - be appreciative. You will look back at some point and appreciate what we really have going on right now.

What do we have going on now? Overpriced, unfinished untested games with no cool playfield features & goofy rules? Why would I look back on that with appreciation?

#1220 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What do we have going on now? Overpriced, unfinished untested games with no cool playfield features & goofy rules? Why would I look back on that with appreciation?

If we get back to the dark days of pinball, people will appreciate everything we have today. Hope we don’t face the big R, because there will be no big P!

#1221 7 months ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

If we get back to the dark days of pinball, people will appreciate everything we have today. Hope we don’t face the big R, because there will be no big P!

These are the darkest days IMO, and I’ve been doing this for a while. Games cost too much while offering too little...plus, untested and unfinished. Tons of amazing pinball machines from better days exist, and good games are forever.

#1222 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

These are the darkest days IMO, and I’ve been doing this for a while. Games cost too much while offering too little...plus, untested and unfinished. Tons of amazing pinball machines from better days exist, and good games are forever.

Well if big R hits and all pinball companies fold except one...and that one has to cut to minimal staff (and like fewer coders)....will see what we have then.

Oh wait that sounds familiar from just a few years back! !!!!

#1223 7 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yeah the Stern one gets boring...but it’s entertianing for a little while & sinking the ship & fighting the Kraken is more fun than anything I experienced in POTC. I didn’t find JJPOTC entertaining at all. The character selection is confusing from the get go. The modes based on movie events with zero context or content attached is a miss, it just feels like a weird slot machine with nice music, not what I expect from a $10k pinball machine. I know you don’t like Hobbit, but after playing a cinematic game like that with tons of voice clips in addition to custom callouts (like all good licensed pinball machines)...POTC just feels wrong.

OMG, you're right I'd take jjPotC ANY DAY over Hobbit. THAT is JJP's biggest mess, er...miss. No matter how they dressed it up, it just was a bad design that wasn't fun and those drop targets proved there is such a thing as too much of a good thing.

#1224 7 months ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Well if big R hits and all pinball companies fold except one...and that one has to cut to minimal staff (and like fewer coders)....will see what we have then.
Oh wait that sounds familiar from just a few years back! !!!!

The Wayne years. Bleaugh...

#1225 7 months ago

I am taking aurich advice on this one. This thread has turned into a shit show.

#1226 7 months ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

I am taking aurich advice on this one. This thread has turned into a shit show.

This thread has become Pinside’s bile depository.

#1227 7 months ago

I am think Munsters can easily be fixed. Just by putting some additional interaction by video and call outs when shots are made would make the game a lot better.

It would take the D code to C +.

#1228 7 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Yes i have a source but i will never say who it is sorry.

I’m not sure if I would trust your source going forward. Or maybe they have a different definition of what “selling well” means than most.

Munsters sold very well at launch with the LE frenzy and increase from 500 to 600. Been collecting dust ever since. No additional runs yet (not counting the color Premium, of which there are still plenty available). And that doesn’t count lost sales from people who really want Munsters but just can’t pull the trigger because of code.

Sadly, Munsters is a sales dud and will likely remain that way unless Stern reworks the code. I suspect it will quietly fade from the sales rotation earlier than expected unless a forthcoming game also misses badly.

And if Elvira 3 is a hit, Munsters is probably toast since the two titles appeal to the same general demographic.

#1229 7 months ago

i hope elvira is a hit. bm66 turned out awesome. wasnt a big fan of beatles. elvira has the potential to be another great game.

#1231 7 months ago
Quoted from hank527:

I am think Munsters can easily be fixed. Just by putting some additional interaction by video and call outs when shots are made would make the game a lot better.
It would take the D code to C +.

It can absolutely be fixed, but Dwight on record saying he considers it almost done is the main concern. It's nowhere close to acceptable in its current state. Hopefully Stern gives it to one of the newer programmers to fix up while Dwight moves on (or back to Ghostbusters and GoT to finish those).

#1232 7 months ago

How damaging is this to Dwights and Sterns reputation going forward if this game isn't improved? I like Munsters but knowing now what I have it would be a pass as there are better options out there. Lesson learned. Next Dwight game is a guaranteed pass. Lesson learned.

#1233 7 months ago

Probably will only slightly affect sales. Majority of buyers (ie non-pinsiders) don't really care or even know who codes/designs what.

#1234 7 months ago
Quoted from vex:

How damaging is this to Dwights and Sterns reputation going forward if this game isn't improved? I like Munsters but knowing now what I have it would be a pass as there are better options out there. Lesson learned. Next Dwight game is a guaranteed pass. Lesson learned.

Hmmm, for me both Dwight and George G's reputation has fallen very fast.
George has also been talking BS regarding GB's code being worked on after Starwars etc.... nearly 30 months

Stern doesn't seem to care once they have sold what they need too, We are the fools continuing to purchase machines when presented with subpar code on release.
It's not like we are paying chicken feed these days for a bnib

#1235 7 months ago
Quoted from Squizz:

We are the fools continuing to purchase machines when presented with subpar code on release.

Then stop. No one's forcing you. These are non-essential items, you're not obligated to purchase. If you must have a "new" pin, buy tried & true classics, not NIB.

#1236 7 months ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Stern doesn't seem to care once they have sold what they need too,

Boy oh boy are you getting ready to be surprised soon!

#1237 7 months ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Hmmm, for me both Dwight and George G's reputation has fallen very fast.
George has also been talking BS regarding GB's code being worked on after Starwars etc.... nearly 30 months
Stern doesn't seem to care once they have sold what they need too, We are the fools continuing to purchase machines when presented with subpar code on release.
It's not like we are paying chicken feed these days for a bnib

It's hard to know what algorithm Stern uses to schedule & focus on updates. Took 2-3 years for Stern to take KISS from half-baked to kick-arse, but it did happen. I always liked the KISS PF layout, but rarely played it because the code was so "meh". The code had "promise", but was just so unfinished. The latest release really is stunning and I'm playing the game more than anything else in my collection.

Can only hope they do the same for GB.

#1238 7 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

It's hard to know what algorithm Stern uses to schedule & focus on updates. Took 2-3 years for Stern to take KISS from half-baked to kick-arse, but it did happen. I always liked the KISS PF layout, but rarely played it because the code was so "meh". The code had "promise", but was just so unfinished. The latest release really is stunning and I'm playing the game more than anything else in my collection.
Can only hope they do the same for GB.

It's a gamble if it's Lonnie or Dwight.

#1239 7 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Is this from the same source that says Munsters is killing it in sales?

#1240 7 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Ok, spill.

#1241 7 months ago

There is no Munsters code update coming that i am aware of in case anyone is wondering so don't get your hopes up on that. Its not a big deal for most people so let's not get too excited. Hopefully we will see some additions to the Munsters but i honestly have no idea right now if that will ever happen or not.

#1242 7 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Is this from the same source that says Munsters is killing it in sales?

Nope and i never said that Munsters is killing it in sales. I said it has sold well overall counting a really nice launch. I have no idea how it is doing at the moment.

#1243 7 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So then what is the surprise?

#1244 7 months ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Im not saying anymore, shouldn't have said what i said honestly. Just something that surprised me that probably wont even effect hardly anyone here. I wish i could tell everyone that a big Munsters update is coming but thats not the case....at least as far as i know.

#1245 7 months ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

I actually would appreciate hearing from both you and
who-Dey concerning the question I had about the game. I know you guys love it, just interested in your thoughts with my comparison. I agree that some of this thread is pretty crap, but if it makes stern listen, then it could be good.

Thanks.

#1246 7 months ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

I actually would appreciate hearing from both you and
who-Dey concerning the question I had about the game. I know you guys love it, just interested in your thoughts with my comparison. I agree that some of this thread is pretty crap, but if it makes stern listen, then it could be good.
Thanks.

Sent you a PM Gumnut. It's long......sorry.

#1247 7 months ago

Munsters was a theme I was really excited about but it's a fail was also looking forward to the Elvira but I won't be holding my breath that they do a worthy job on it
Really is a shame

#1248 7 months ago
Quoted from john17a:

Munsters was a theme I was really excited about but it's a fail was also looking forward to the Elvira but I won't be holding my breath that they do a worthy job on it
Really is a shame

I've heard Lyman was on Elvira, so it's got that going for it.

#1249 7 months ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I've heard Lyman was on Elvira, so it's got that going for it.

after the theme, that's a 2nd good point already

#1250 7 months ago

If Stern was smart, they would bury the names of the coders. Having a superstar, or even perceived, superstar coder can cause all kinds of issues for a production company.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 159.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 1422 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 29.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside