D958AB2D-E89C-496A-B71A-2C106AFF2571 (resized).jpeg
7BB8F703-A4AA-490F-83EA-E7629CCB40B2 (resized).jpeg
0437F7E5-22DA-4615-84AA-001F4744BA2F (resized).jpeg
0C432738-6432-49AD-86E2-5ABA29CC92F2 (resized).jpeg
721EFEBA-D393-41A6-8AAA-FF2869011F7E (resized).jpeg
9A1D077F-DDE8-4304-826C-955D928999E2 (resized).jpeg
1FDD2456-6CB8-4545-B79B-59F6C1B61BC4 (resized).jpeg
085A2379-3C4D-48EB-A10A-46AEB38EA97C (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider westofrome.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from heyitsjoebob:

As somebody with absolutely zero interest in Munsters as a theme, I'm kind of excited to play this machine. A bash toy on a ramp makes me a little nervous though.

The bash toy is under the ramp, which lifts up, like on Pinbot or Walking Dead Premium/LE.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Interesting to see what the shot on the left does, looks like a ramp where the game shoots out the ball.

I think it's just a lane with a kicker like MM catapult, except without the extra wireform feeding the ramp. So more like the Playboy grotto

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from Valorguy:

Stern makes me weary with the same design and same lay out over and over and over...

In any case - I'll prob buy all 3 models just to see which art package I like the best, before selling them off.

#353 5 years ago

Good post - I think the issue can be boiled down to just a handful of things:

*B/W: standard and widebodies. Stern: standard only.
*B/W: some games with pops, some without. Stern: all games with pops
*B/W: some games with shooter rods, some without. Stern: all games with shooter rods
*B/W: some games licensed, some games original. Stern: all games licensed
*B/W: most games have subways and in-playfield ball troughs which redirect/divert the ball, as well as multiple wireforms providing unique ball paths. Stern: no subways or ball redirects, ball bounces off things or shoots directly back out the way it came in. (this is probably the single biggest reason Stern games tend to feel the same).
*B/W: some games have original, dedicated skill shot mechs. Stern: no skill shot mechs
*B/W: some games have unique backbox animations and games Stern: no unique backbox animations/games

etc.

Quoted from NPO:

TL;DR - a quick opinion on how B/W kept each release pretty different.
This is NOT a direct personal attack; this is more of an observation I've made regarding limited space and B/W games.
Now, the LONGER post:
I dunno, man. B/W did a fantastic job at keeping it pretty varied. Sure, AFM and MM are similar, but let's name off some of their games as they progressed:
TAF --> CFTBL --> BSD --> ST:TNG --> WH2O --> TZ --> JD --> RS --> Corvette --> TS --> JM --> Congo --> AFM --> SS --> MM --> CV --> Champion Pub
Looking at this wide range of titles from 92 to 98, with my limited experience with each of them, all of these titles (with the exception of AFM vs MM) feel very different to me. For some differences:
1. Orbital lanes can vary depending on game (TZ vs WH20 vs SS for example) or don't even have them (looking at you BSD)
2. Pop bumper placement has some variance (BSD vs TAF vs TZ vs RS for example)
3. Ramps are all over the place (ST:TNG vs TS [4 total here if you include the diverters] vs Corvette vs WH2O vs CFTBL)
4. Toys (TAF vs Champion Pub vs BSD vs RS vs Corvette vs JD)
5. Upper playfields were unique (TS, TZ, WH2O, and punching bag on Champion Pub were all different)
6. Interactive ball elements/toys (BSD mist magnet, TAF Thing flipper, Ramp dump cradle on TZ, jump rope on Champion Pub, engine on Corvette, "hidden" pop bumper on CV, TS's ball lock, the Castle on MM)
7. Ball scoop placements (Renfield coop on BSD, close proximity of jackpot scoop on TZ, nearly up the middle on Corvette, middle back on ST: TNG, 2 locations on TAF)
8. Video modes were very different (AFM vs Corvette's Race shifting into gears vs JM "Go Grood" mode vs CFTBL's Peeping Tom Punchout vs Wolf shootout on BSD)
9. 3+ flippers and their placement (Corvette vs JD vs TZ vs TAF vs RS)
10. Very "one of a kind" modes (Strobe MB on AFM, the Powerball and getting it back to the Power on TZ, Seance on TAF)
11. Ball entrance to the PF (SS vs TZ vs ST:TNG [dat habit trail!] vs TS vs CC)
12. The inclusion of SOME non-licensed themes (AFM, MM, CV, Champion Pub, CC) or a license with a cool twist to them (MB stands out)
To me, B/W continually did different and unique things. Yeah, there are some things that seemed to never change: always a cluster of three (or more) pop bumpers SOMEWHERE on the PF, scoops started to happen near the middle more and more (AFM, CC, ST:TNG, Corvette), and some features were lost or nearly completely lost (spinners, kickback ball savers, roll-over star switches), but the sheer level of variances I've already mentioned more than make-up for it.
Again, not meant to be a personal attack. You spoke the words I knew would be inevitably coming sooner or later, and to me, B/W had an incredible amount of variance on a limited amount of space.
I will say that I do respect you made a comparison without using cars, so in that spirit, I'll use a candy comparison. Stern is like licorice: different colors but nearly the same taffy and rubbery flavor no matter what color. More and more with DP and Iron Maiden, that is finally starting to change. B/W is like Snickers, then M&Ms, then Skittles, then Butterfinger, then 3 Musketeers, then.... they always just seemed different to me. I didn't feel like I was "eating the same candy over and over".

#357 5 years ago

I just think people don't necessarily appreciate the degree to which Stern has dramatically homogenized pinball design on so many different dimensions. This is what people mean when they talk about similar designs, "ramps/loops/scoop"; it's not just a matter of "there's only so much room for originality, what do you expect".

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
6,489 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider westofrome.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-with-pics?tu=westofrome and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.