Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Munsters pro on route, game sitting in attract mode and the speakers emit a pop noise over and over. Reseated plugs, still does it.

Code is 1.02 currently and I see 1.03 has a mode board update and audio fixes. I’ll try that soon.

But has anyone experienced this pop?

Edit:

From a cold boot it does take ~7-10 min for the popping to start. So it would seem like a bad solder joint or capacitor...

#2 3 years ago

I know you stated the sound is coming from the speakers, in the video it sounds more like a small coil firing.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from grumppy:

I know you stated the sound is coming from the speakers, in the video it sounds more like a small coil firing.

I verified it was speakers. Folded the speaker panel down and held my finger on the speaker. Also via listening. And it sounds like a speaker pop/crackle in person.

#4 3 years ago

I can’t help you but I was on a location last week with 30 plus machines and sure enough the Munsters game speakers were popping during attract mode. It was annoying! I just wanted to let you know it’s maybe a Munsters thing and not just bad luck on your machine.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Gtrefraction:

I can’t help you but I was on a location last week with 30 plus machines and sure enough the Munsters game speakers were popping during attract mode. It was annoying! I just wanted to let you know it’s maybe a Munsters thing and not just bad luck on your machine.

Dang! Hilton said he remembers it being a Munsters thing too!

So the notes for 1.03; are very audio heavy

PRO V1.03 - March 9, 2020
=========================
Tweaked:
- Removed Backbox GI from lamp effects.

Moved to SYS 2.44:
Updated to nodeboard firmware v0.57.5

Added UTIL->VOL Adjustment "SELECT AUDIO FILTER".
Values are: "NONE", "HIGH/LOW SHELF", and "10 BAND EQ".
Default value is "HIGH/LOW SHELF".

"NONE": No filtering will be performed on the audio output. Useful when
using the Line Out as input for an external device.

"HIGH/LOW SHELF": A High/Low Shelf Filter is applied to the audio output.
The Bass Frequency can be set to: 125Hz, 250Hz, or Disabled.
The Treble Frequency can be set to: 4KHz, 8KHz, or Disabled.
The Gain can be set to -12dB .. +12dB
On Spike 2 the Shelf Frequency and Gain can be set independently for
the BackBox and Cabinet speakers.

"10 BAND EQ": A full 10 Band EQ is applied to the audio output.
Sliders are used to adjust the Gain of a specific range of frequencies.
The Frequencies are: 31Hz, 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1KHz, 2KHz, 4KHz,
8KHz, 16KHz.
The Gain curve has a 60dB dynamic range across the -120 .. +120 Slider
settings.
On Spike2 the Gain can be set independently for the BackBox and Cabinet
speakers.

Allow the knocker sound effect to play completely when a replay is
awarded during the last ball bonus and ensure the normal game
volume is restored.

Added Standard Adjustment "MAX PLAYERS PER GAME". Values are 1 to 4,
with a default setting of 4. This can be used to limit the number
of players that can be added to a game.

#6 3 years ago

Update:

Holy crap....

So I updated the game to 1.03 today. While it was updating you could hear the audio popping. Once the game rebooted and the node boards did their updates.....No game/music audio what so ever. However still audio popping.

I have unplugged CN2 aka backbox speakers and now it does not make popping noises but no audio....great...

3 months later
#7 3 years ago

I have popping on a Batman 66. It will stop for a day after unplugging for a few minutes.
The popping also kills all gameplay audio.

#8 3 years ago

I should update

The cpu carrier board has the audio circut. And that failed. Stern had me work with the distributor and replaced my entire cpu/carrier board. Even out of warranty. Which was nice as that is a $600 part as they include the cpu and carrier board. IMO they should sell the carrier board separate. However if they would now replace under warranty I was going to desolder the components and try to repair.

All is working after that.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I should update
The cpu carrier board has the audio circut. And that failed. Stern had me work with the distributor and replaced my entire cpu/carrier board. Even out of warranty. Which was nice as that is a $600 part as they include the cpu and carrier board. IMO they should sell the carrier board separate. However if they would now replace under warranty I was going to desolder the components and try to repair.
All is working after that.

Thank you for the update. This will help me fix my machine.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Bartsman:

Thank you for the update. This will help me fix my machine.

Use your distributor and have them contact stern about a replacement. Our game was well over a year old and they covered the part.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Use your distributor and have them contact stern about a replacement. Our game was well over a year old and they covered the part.

I will. Thank You!

#12 3 years ago

Yup just had a Starwars pro low plays come In from a client with the same issue . It’s a failure on the cpu board . Took a video and description of the issue and sent it to stern. . Stern replaced the cpu as well .

#13 3 years ago

I’m really hoping someone tries to fix one to see what actually failed so the community can document it.

6 months later
#14 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I’m really hoping someone tries to fix one to see what actually failed so the community can document it.

Had this same exact problem on my Beatles, but thankfully stern covered it under warranty (since I bought the game somewhat recently).
less than 2 months later I had the same exact issue on my star wars. Never seen the issue before that, both games were at different locations.
Both games were made in the same year as your munsters mid-late 2018. If this is a thing, I have a couple other ticking timebombs .

Since this one isn't under warranty, I'm going to try to repair the CPU board at some point. I think... maybe I know what it is, just hoping I don't rip off the pads in the process.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Had this same exact problem on my Beatles, but thankfully stern covered it under warranty (since I bought the game somewhat recently).
less than 2 months later I had the same exact issue on my star wars. Never seen the issue before that, both games were at different locations.
Both games were made in the same year as your munsters mid-late 2018. If this is a thing, I have a couple other ticking timebombs .
Since this one isn't under warranty, I'm going to try to repair the CPU board at some point. I think... maybe I know what it is, just hoping I don't rip off the pads in the process.

Stern replaced the board under warranty over 1yr after so I would ask. They just made me go through the distributor to do the swap.

1 week later
#16 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Stern replaced the board under warranty over 1yr after so I would ask. They just made me go through the distributor to do the swap.

maybe, I was told no when they thought my beatles was the end of 2018 (born date). but when I said the actual purchase date was closer to 2020, they were cool with it. I bought star wars in january-2019, so I'm not sure that's over 2 years now. guess it can't hurt to ask.

1 week later
#17 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

yup that's a no go from stern. I'll update it I ever figure it out, was going to buy one of those headphone things to see if its only on the main output alone. If so, that isolates it to like 6 components.

#18 2 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

yup that's a no go from stern. I'll update it I ever figure it out, was going to buy one of those headphone things to see if its only on the main output alone. If so, that isolates it to like 6 components.

stern told me no, they said to call my distributor. Did you hit up the distributor?

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

stern told me no, they said to call my distributor. Did you hit up the distributor?

Na, at this point I'm not going to worry about it. It took a while for the last spike 2 cpu warranty to get fulfilled. Plus I have two other legit issues on other games. One is a broken topper, another is for a factory shorted shaker motor (which blew out 2 other boards).

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Na, at this point I'm not going to worry about it. It took a while for the last spike 2 cpu warranty to get fulfilled. Plus I have two other legit issues on other games. One is a broken topper, another is for a factory shorted shaker motor (which blew out 2 other boards).

Ufff, not the best luck with spike. Well the schematics are online now, and it has the audio circuit. I think if you test/replace some of those you’d fix it.

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Ufff, not the best luck with spike. Well the schematics are online now, and it has the audio circuit. I think if you test/replace some of those you’d fix it.

Well given their track record, it's not been to bad. Got 16 location spikes, even with these hiccups they are still pretty easy going.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

Well given their track record, it's not been to bad. Got 16 location spikes, even with these hiccups they are still pretty easy going.

I’d agree, and their new pros are pretty easy to work on. I had the opto ramp issue on Munsters and the gate fix for Jp otherwise they just run….

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-pro-audio-popping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.