(Topic ID: 241148)

Munsters Premium /LE, best lower/ mini playfield ever?

By MK6PIN

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 96 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by MK6PIN
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Munsters Premium /LE, best lower/ mini playfield ever?”

• YES 73 votes
    41%
  • NO 76 votes
    43%
  • MAYBE 28 votes
    16%

(177 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FD2E08B2-773F-4CE8-B2F7-222BF592D4FC (resized).jpeg
log (resized).jpg
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 years ago

Why not?

This is easily the best integrated, capable, and integral part of any machine I've played. Thread is not for those who don't like mini pf's, so not interested.

Stand alone multiball, mystery mode selection which ties into main pf, real vuk and wireform, and legit strategy separates this largely unrecognized "supertoy"

I own several machines with varying mini's, and have played others.

My vote is yes....what say you (and why)? Poll included.. Asking that you have actually PLAYED a Munsters Premium or LE (wishful thinking for a poll criteria, I know)

#2 4 years ago

I’ve played the LE at boxcar in Greensboro a lot. Definitely a fun and unique lower playfield. I enjoy playing it, but it doesn’t have the “feel” of the normal size flippers. It lacks the feedback the normal flippers have, I don’t know if the shaker could simulate feeling the flippers when you activate them.

#3 4 years ago

I’m all in on best lower ever. Great lighting, good flow,fast, love the timer, multiball, but best of all it adds to the game’s overall whole experience!

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Coz:

I’ve played the LE at boxcar in Greensboro a lot. Definitely a fun and unique lower playfield. I enjoy playing it, but it doesn’t have the “feel” of the normal size flippers. It lacks the feedback the normal flippers have, I don’t know if the shaker could simulate feeling the flippers when you activate them.

It's a mini playfield that you must learn to play....definitely feels different, but not a bad thing. I'm getting better at it, but it's legit

#5 4 years ago

Easily the best lower playfield ever hands down.

#6 4 years ago

Sorry, no. Haunted House by far. Hard to compete with a full size drop target bank, pop bumper and real flippers.

Munsters implements the lower playfield very well but it’s more of a novelty/gimmick simply because the physics aren’t true to pinball. Is it the best recent lower playfield? Absolutely. I think the Premium is the way to go with Munsters because of it.

(I left out TBL because it’s not really available, but that would probably win best recent lower otherwise)

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Sorry, no. Haunted House by far. Hard to compete with a full size drop target bank, pop bumper and real flippers.
Munsters implements the lower playfield very well but it’s more of a novelty/gimmick simply because the physics aren’t true to pinball. Is it the best recent lower playfield? Absolutely. I think the Premium is the way to go with Munsters because of it.
(I left out TBL because it’s not really available, but that would probably win best recent lower otherwise)

good points..never had my hands on HH, but have heard great things of it.

I would argue that Munsters lower playfield is only "gimmicky" due to the size of the entirety. If you were to flail away on any main playfield, you can "feel" it. not the same on a miniature version, however, it's quite real in its form. I truly try to get down there as much as possible, learning to cradle the ball and hit the ramps, etc. in gamelike fashion. like having two games in one for me (with it's own set of flipper buttons).

(I will take "best recent lower pf, however, and never liked TBL version fwiw)..

#8 4 years ago

Haunted House or Black Hole have the best lower playfields.

#9 4 years ago

It’s number one in my book. Lowe play fields are tough to get right. This one is pretty much perfect and in my personal opinion is the best thing about the game.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Haunted House or Black Hole have the best lower playfields.

Played Black Hole alot...one of my favorites...lower pf pales in function in regards to interaction w upper, and things to accomplish (remember, Munsters even has callouts, zap jackpots, and mode starts that can be accomplished down there)....BH is fun and confusing to play given its orientation, however...

#11 4 years ago

I liked it actually, I like simpsons a bit better for some reason though but its definitely up there and more enjoyable than I thought it would be!

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

It’s number one in my book. Lowe play fields are tough to get right. This one is pretty much perfect and in my personal opinion is the best thing about the game.

I honestly believe the same. There's never been another that I've had my hands on that you can actually "play" w the depth this one has. If you just ignore, bang away, then it's useless. If you actually play it....pretty amazing. This had to take a massive effort to pull off this well imho.

Why it's so quickly overlooked because it's not full size makes no sense to me. This thing is serious fun and a cornerstone of this game.

#13 4 years ago

HH and BH are great lower playfields, the bigger size makes them work.
Munsters is the best of the modern era. I would buy just a mini playfield if it flipped say with a 7 inch screen. Stern should make this mini in a tabletop version. Say $500-$700 bucks, id buy that.
Best lower playfield ever goes to Krull, sadly only a few exist.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

I liked it actually, I like simpsons a bit better for some reason though but its definitely up there and more enjoyable than I thought it would be!

Enjoy my TSPP upper as well. Just feels like there's more to do down there in Munsters, and w a countdown meter w callouts harassing you, it makes you hit your shots or you're done ......

#15 4 years ago

Without a doubt best lower play field of all time. I have owned BH and HH and they were slow and clunky. AC DC never appealed to me because the ball was too big to really do anything of substance. Elektra is fun, but I prefer the theme and video integration on Munsters better.

#16 4 years ago

I enjoyed playing a premium for the first time this week.
The game is charming and lower pf design is fantastic.

The timer adds a real skill element and purpose to the five shots vs just being a pinball gimmick.

#17 4 years ago

Can understand how a small ball bearing feels different than a big ball bearing....promise, I get that.

This one has to be truly played to be appreciated. Everyone asks for "new, innovative, etc."...Stern gives something that is a game changer. That along w a B&W premium option truly gave some legit options. I can see why Borg stated this was his "best game to date". The lower playfield blows me away...

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

I enjoyed playing a premium for the first time this week.
The game is charming and lower pf design is fantastic.
The timer adds a real skill element and purpose to the shots vs just being a pinball gimmick.

Far from a gimmick, and agree on all points....I try to figure out how much time the right ramp really adds, deciding whether to add time, or go for the missing shot....

#19 4 years ago

Absolutely best looking. Hands down!

Gameplay: MEH

Hate the "ball" action and feel. Sorry.

#20 4 years ago

I think the lower is challenging, fun and gorgeous. (simply put)

#21 4 years ago

Black hole for the win. Nobody escapes the black hole, and that pressure alone makes it win by a landslide. HH sounds though. Munsters is best lower playfield in a long time though.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Absolutely best looking. Hands down!
Gameplay: MEH
Hate the "ball" action and feel. Sorry.

nothing to feel sorry about Tuna_Delight .....just throwing it out there...alot of people don't like mini pf's in general (not a topic of this thread)...are there mini's you like?

#23 4 years ago

Before I purchased my LE I was all in for a pro.

After playing it at TPF I was all in on the LE and find the lower playfield fun real fun.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

nothing to feel sorry about tuna_delight .....just throwing it out there...alot of people don't like mini pf's in general (not a topic of this thread)...are there mini's you like?

I like lower (and upper) playfields in general. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the definition, but the only other "mini" playfield that comes to mind for me is Family Guy's, which, unfortunately, suffers from the same toy-like feel of flicking a plastic bead.

Munsters' mini playfield has great features/rules and can be fun overall, but still feels somewhat like a novelty distraction from the main gameplay to me due to its drastically different ball physics.

#25 4 years ago

The playfield and ball physics are scaled down on Family Guy/Munsters- even the slings(family guy)

I’ll tell you this, you don’t complete either with luck.

#26 4 years ago

I did not care for Munsters pro at all. But playing my friend’s LE is a lot of fun. That mini PF is great and you can and should aim your shots just like on the big PF.

#27 4 years ago

I love Both Munsters mini pf and FGY Stevie pf. Both need a little tinkering in adjustments. Munsters lower power for more controlled accuracy. FGY needs adjustments to make it harder to get to Stewie and harder to qualify the characters.

#28 4 years ago

I like lower (and upper) playfields in general. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the definition, but the only other "mini" playfield that comes to mind for me is Family Guy's, which, unfortunately, suffers from the same toy-like feel of flicking a plastic bead.
Munsters' mini playfield has great features/rules and can be fun overall, but still feels somewhat like a novelty distraction from the main gameplay to me due to its drastically different ball physics.

Ah..good question...in the context of this thread "mini playfield" is all encompassing, not dictated by a mini pinball and flippers. So TSPP, WOZ, TZ, ACDC, GOT, FGY , etc. all are relevant.

If it were narrowed to the smaller ball, mech, I think there are only 2 (now) FGY and Munsters (?). Love Stewie PF, but timer is limited to ball saves, and purpose is to complete the shots to achieve Stewie MB, then insanity starts. One of PL best adds to a game, imho.

Munsters is far, far deeper than that. They simply could not put everything this playfield can do down there w full sized balls, mechs (it's already quite large).

Just being able to add ball time, change modes on upper pf upon return, and a discreet, dedicated multiball are more than enough for this to be superior to any minipf I've ever experienced (have quite a few, and like them all).

Positioned as such, it really allows me to look on it w a great angle, and work on shots, strategies with a completely different approach than the main pf. Different doesn't equal bad (meh) for me, especially in this example. If you truly put some time on it (or care to), I'm in agreement w TigerLaw that it's the best feature of the game.

Suspect this will be embraced more, as the game matures....missing alot of skill/ funtime if it is simply cast off as a novelty piece, imho...

#29 4 years ago

Suspect many of the "no" votes are simply because they don't like the game or minpf's in general....fair enough....a fun thread for me, as pointing out the positives in any new pin seems to be a better topic (positive features rarely gain the multipage traction vs. negative ones, but not my intent).

Played mine through MM again last night....cursing Grandpa's Lab on a regular basis....an amazing thing to play...

#30 4 years ago

JJPOTC black pearl PF is awesome. The sounds the spinners make, fun to shoot, and the canon firing the ball at the other ship is one of a kind.

Quoted from MK6PIN:

Ah..good question...in the context of this thread "mini playfield" is all encompassing, not dictated by a mini pinball and flippers. So TSPP, WOZ, TZ, ACDC, GOT, FGY , etc. all are relevant.
If it were narrowed to the smaller ball, mech, I think there are only 2 (now) FGY and Munsters (?). Love Stewie PF, but timer is limited to ball saves, and purpose is to complete the shots to achieve Stewie MB, then insanity starts. One of PL best adds to a game, imho.
Munsters is far, far deeper than that. They simply could not put everything this playfield can do down there w full sized balls, mechs (it's already quite large).
Just being able to add ball time, change modes on upper pf upon return, and a discreet, dedicated multiball are more than enough for this to be superior to any minipf I've ever experienced (have quite a few, and like them all).
Positioned as such, it really allows me to look on it w a great angle, and work on shots, strategies with a completely different approach than the main pf. Different doesn't equal bad (meh) for me, especially in this example. If you truly put some time on it (or care to), I'm in agreement w tigerlaw that it's the best feature of the game.
Suspect this will be embraced more, as the game matures....missing alot of skill/ funtime if it is simply cast off as a novelty piece, imho...

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

JJPOTC black pearl PF is awesome. The sounds the spinners make, fun to shoot, and the canon firing the ball at the other ship is one of a kind.

Anxious to play that game .....

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Anxious to play that game .....

JJP POTC is in a league of its own for me currently.
Really love the uniquely challenging upper playfield on it too!

Other "mini playfields" that I particularly enjoy playing are on WPT, TS, and both on TBL.

Your enthusiasm for Munsters is infectious Mark! I love the theme and look of it, but right now the gameplay is still a bit of a mess for me. I need to put more time in on the LE located in my favorite pinball bar and learn the rules/nuances better. I'm sure my appreciation for the lower playfield, as well as the overall game, will increase accordingly!

#33 4 years ago

I really like the upper PF in Popeye and think it's one of the best (with custom Lexan shield to deflect airballs). I prefer full size pinball mini pf's.

#34 4 years ago

JJP POTC is in a league of its own for me currently.
Really love the uniquely challenging upper playfield on it too!
Other "mini playfields" that I particularly enjoy playing are on WPT, TS, and both on TBL.
Your enthusiasm for Munsters is infectious Mark! I love the theme and look of it, but right now the gameplay is still a bit of a mess for me. I need to put more time in on the LE located in my favorite pinball bar and learn the rules/nuances better. I'm sure my appreciation for the lower playfield, as well as the overall game, will increase accordingly!

Ha...it really does provide alot of entertainment for me, and like it alot....put some more time on it and get back to me....

Is POTC Black Pearl even available yet? I bailed on the CE (for now) as Wonka has my attention (off topic...sorry).

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Is POTC Black Pearl even available yet? I bailed on the CE (for now) as Wonka has my attention (off topic...sorry).

A future "Black Pearl" edition of POTC is only speculation at this point. If one ever happens, it will likely be quite a while given Wonka popularity.

You never know with JJP though.

#36 4 years ago

Once you get the hang of that lower PF it really is a blast to play and a key part of that game

I like TSPP, Woz, AS, WPT and WH20 on the minis I have but Munsters is in another league

I can see Potc ship being really cool as well

When you get Munster madness and it’s all going up top and down low that’s a pretty unique experience

#37 4 years ago

I love the lower pf on our Munsters Prem, so best in the modern era. But for those who have never played a Krull lower pf , my friend owned 1 of the 10 that exist. The lower pf has a normal size ball but has a reducing glass over the area which makes the ball and pf look small, but because it is not really small the movement looks intense (almost slow motion ) very cool.

#38 4 years ago

A future "Black Pearl" edition of POTC is only speculation at this point. If one ever happens, it will likely be quite a while given Wonka popularity.
You never know with JJP though.

Jack unequivocally said no such version will ever be made.

#39 4 years ago

Lower playfields are a joke. It’s the best joke out there for sure. I laughed a lot when I played one thinking about all the people I knew who bought it before playing it. Garbage game.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Once you get the hang of that lower PF it really is a blast to play and a key part of that game
I like TSPP, Woz, AS, WPT and WH20 on the minis I have but Munsters is in another league
I can see Potc ship being really cool as well
When you get Munster madness and it’s all going up top and down low that’s a pretty unique experience

I haven’t gotten that yet but I can imagine it’s utterly beautiful chaos.

#41 4 years ago

ACNC mini Playfield has a lot to do. It’s integrated well.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

Lower playfields are a joke. It’s the best joke out there for sure. I laughed a lot when I played one thinking about all the people I knew who bought it before playing it. Garbage game.

Knew it would eventually show in this thread..Judging people, as opposed to the game..A " wyse" quote, for sure

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from MK6PIN:

Knew it would eventually show in this thread..Judging people, as opposed to the game..A " wyse" quote, for sure

I wasn’t judging them. But who cares, the games shit.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Jack unequivocally said no such version will ever be made.

Not sure what your source is, but at TPF, Jack specifically left the door open when asked about future POTC production. He was smart enough to never say never.

Now back to Munsters! The real question is will a special "Marilyn" edition (ala AC/DC Luci) be made at some point?

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

I wasn’t judging them. But who cares, the games shit.

A pretty solid hate thread exists for Munsters, not this one, geared specifically towards lower play fields... I'm sure your " game is shit" comment fits in there, not here...thanks

#46 4 years ago

Well, now I have to stay.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from WyseGuy:

Well, now I have to stay.

log (resized).jpglog (resized).jpg
#48 4 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

[quoted image]

Nice try, I haven’t shit my pants in 5 years.

Or was that an actual image of the lower PF on Munsters? Sorry, I was drunk when I played it.

#49 4 years ago

Played the premium at MGC specifically to try out the lower playfield. I found it awful. Felt like a pocket kid's game. Tiny ball flies all over the place. No tactile feel at all. Much prefer real lower playfield with real ball and flippers ala HH and Black Hole. I get what they were trying to do, but epic fail in my opinion.

#50 4 years ago

Not sure what your source is, but at TPF, Jack specifically left the door open when asked about future POTC production. He was smart enough to never say never.
Now back to Munsters! The real question is will a special "Marilyn" edition (ala AC/DC Luci) be made at some point?

He was referring to the 'black pearl' edition, etc. Yes Jack has said he wants to make more POTC.. but he poo'd on the idea of variants.. like Black Arrow, YBR, etc..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Buffalo, NY
€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 1,159.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 96 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-premium-le-best-lower-mini-playfield-ever/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.