• Latest reply 2 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201027_220957 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

So, i keep wanting a Munsters without ever playing it. The theme seems really fun for pinball! Anyone purchased this with the same feelings only to realize that all the neg comments about it are spot on?

#2 3 years ago

I can “understand” people’s concerns but I really enjoy the game. It almost seems like BK3, where at the surface it’s “simple” but there are small things for building up shots or bonus so that when you do complete a mode your score will be huge vs just completing a mode. The game is fun, shoots well, feels good, but if you dig into the rules/code there is more waiting.

You should totally try to play one! I fell in love with the b/w premium at CES but have a pro on route. Both a good time. Munsters made more money than the JP pro next to it.....

#3 3 years ago

You absolutely need to play it first.

I am a munsters fan. I like "spooky" themes and the art is really nice too. By all metrics, I should love munsters, but it just doesn't click for me. It is a nice game, but for the price...i feel you could do much better.

That is MY opinion, however. You really need to dive into it and see how you feel after playing it a few times.

#4 3 years ago

I dont have any options to play it now, or in the near future. I really really like the art work, and the animations i have seen. However, i have also read the neg reviews and that deters me. When i watch the gameplay it looks a lot like monster bash and thats a good thing.

#5 3 years ago

Just get it then. Buying used you should not lose a lot if you decide to sell. I had a LE... was a fun game.....not all games need to be deep coded.

Sounds like you did as much homework as you can without playing it so dive in.

Good luck.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Boblabla:

I dont have any options to play it now, or in the near future. I really really like the art work, and the animations i have seen. However, i have also read the neg reviews and that deters me. When i watch the gameplay it looks a lot like monster bash and thats a good thing.

It is nowhere near Monster Bash, but it is decent. I'm not sure what you have in your collection or in local establishments to compare it to, but the next best thing I can recommend is watching tons of videos of it online. If you truly cannot play it beforehand, and you think it is the game for you after watching numerous vids...find a good price and go for it.

#7 3 years ago

I like Munsters theme.

Bought NIB LE and sold it.
Very cool looking theme, art, etc.
But not much more than that.

I would get something else.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Boblabla:

You could start by listing your general region or state. May be one closer then you think or a fellow pin head willing to let you give it a try. Strongly suggest giving it a play. I personally bought the Pro then the LE hoping it would be better but sadly not good for our home. Pinball however is an individual interest so anyone’s option would really be useless.

#9 3 years ago

I would more compare it to something like whirlwind on steroids as you can make it through the game and repeat and the end goal is to get a high score and that where the "kitty" target comes in as a playfield multiplier.but its not easy and if you want that high score you have to use some strategy with which modes to start first,hit the kitty alot and canceling your super jackpots until you have a bunch stacked and your kitty multipliers stacked because they also multiply the super jackpot bonus.

#10 3 years ago

Play it. If you like it, buy it. All pinball is fun.

It's got great art, fun shots.
Dont listen to Pinside/IFPA snobs.
I like it, its fun.

My only concern is the Stern build quality, or lack of it.

Buy/play what you like.

Message from the Freeeek Kingdom.

#11 3 years ago

Great game in a larger collection if you love the theme like i and others do but if its your only game or you have a small collection then i would pass on it.....unless it is a dream theme for you, then it would probably be a great choice. Its never a good idea ro spend 5 or 6K on something that you cant play first.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

I like Munsters theme.
Bought NIB LE and sold it.
Very cool looking theme, art, etc.
But not much more than that.
I would get something else.

So when you getting something else ? You sold all your games !

I'm on the flip side of Jim's opinion - Munsters is great. Just buy one. As another fellow posted if you buy used, not much risk if it turn's out you are not thrilled with it. I think it's a terrific game. Everything doesn't have to be a code fest. There is enough to the game. It shoots well and is very fun to play.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Boblabla:

I love the theme, negative reviews kept me away. One popped up, couldn't resist. Found out the game is fun. Others can't tell you if you'll like it, your gonna have to find out for yourself like I did.
More clips and quotes would be nice "dwight"

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from hockeymag8:

Just get it then

I agree. Just get it. If you buy right and don’t like it, you should be able to flip it and not lose much (if any) money. That’s one of the pluses of this hobby.

#15 3 years ago

Much preferred my Munsters LE to Monsterbash. Monsterbash was completed and sold in a couple of weeks.

I honestly can’t understand why Monsterbash is ranked top 5 and Munsters was slammed as the worst game ever produced. Compared to MB, Munsters art is better, code is much deeper and nuanced, shots are as good, sound and display are on par.

It’s a fun game. Can be brutal with Short ball times. Probably not ideal for a 2 game collection, but nor are most games released before TSPP or LOTR.

#16 3 years ago

When new games come out, there are always people saying it’s the greatest, and others saying it is the worst. Games usually get reputations from the louder group. It’s all just opinion. Mine included...

I was really excited when the Munsters was announced. I had fond memories of the show, so I was in the target market. But it was coming out after I’d learned my expensive lessons of only buying games I’d played. So I had to wait a bit to play it. When I finally did, my first impression was that I wanted to walk away after playing 2 of 3 balls. But I realized it couldn’t be as bad as I thought, so I played it more. It was easy because out of all the Stern games there, it was the only one without a line. After more games I concluded that my initial impression was right. The game just wasn’t good.

Now, others may love it. And that’s good for them. One mans trash is another mans treasure. But Munsters is not a game to bring in on a whim. I didn’t see greatness there. So it is definitely not a game you should bring in without playing it and liking it beforehand.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from Boblabla:

So, i keep wanting a Munsters without ever playing it. The theme seems really fun for pinball! Anyone purchased this with the same feelings only to realize that all the neg comments about it are spot on?

Yes, Same feelings here.... I was always a huge fan of the show.. Just look at my Avatar! lol.. I have never played this game but just knew i had to have it. . This game was my 1st ownership of a pinball machine... It is truly Munsterous!

The moment you pull back the shooter rod and release it... The game then goes right into the theme song... The actual Movie clips throughout are a riot.. I have the Premium B&W.. If you get the Premium or LE you get to play gradpa's mini laboratory playfield with mini pinballs... The coolest part is when the mini game finishes and the real sized pinball comes rolling out looking enormous.. Its a great illusion... And... The Raven Clock topper taunting the player is the coolest.. And playing past midnight triggers a real treat!! When ever i have company over.. All they ever want to do is play the game.

I have also read some folks are wanting more from this game.. As i see it these folks are professional players that usually own several machines. . I can see why they compare each game as it comes out always wanting more.. Sure, more is better but not all the time.. There will always be a newer and better game released with deeper code.. That's just how the industry works.. If newer code comes out.. I'll gladly take it, and if it doesn't no big deal.. You need to jump in on a game that will make you happy and put a smile on your face everytime you see it.

I would suggest you grab one soon from a local dealer that still has inventory as I think Stern is not making them now.

This YouTube video is awesome!!

#18 3 years ago

I liked it but would go for the pro - I didn't find the lower PF enjoyable at all

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

So when you getting something else ? You sold all your games !
I'm on the flip side of Jim's opinion - Munsters is great. Just buy one. As another fellow posted if you buy used, not much risk if it turn's out you are not thrilled with it. I think it's a terrific game. Everything doesn't have to be a code fest. There is enough to the game. It shoots well and is very fun to play.

I will have to now get my Covid test and head to your basement for some pinball!!

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I liked it but would go for the pro - I didn't find the lower PF enjoyable at all

I have to agree.....that lower pf gets old

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

I have to agree.....that lower pf gets old

Boooo.......fake news!

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Munsters made more money than the JP pro next to it.....

In what venue? At St. Paul Tap Munsters didn't draw flies compared to anything, certainly not to JP2 which has been a top earner the entire time. Munsters was a massive disappointment the entire time it was there, never even experiencing that new game bump in earnings. It has already been unceremoniously replaced by Avengers while older games like Star Wars, Ghosbusters and Deadpool and others continue to live on and earn. It would have left even sooner for TMNT, but we squeezed another game in the row instead of pulling one out. That op made a mistake of ordering his first LE ever as a Munsters LE for a different location too based on looks alone. That turned out to be a big mistake, but at least he found a newer person to the pinball scene to buy it so he was able to get out from under it without major financial damage thankfully. Unless someone is a massive Munsters fan, I would never tell anyone to consider picking one up because in our (and many other's) experience it doesn't earn and it is not easy to sell for a price that a recent release should command on the secondary market.

Quoted from Boblabla:

really really like the art work, and the animations i have seen.

...and that is unfortunately where it stops. The first thing anyone ever says about Munsters is..."art looks great". That's like when they go to critique a person's singing on American Idol and start with, "You look beautiful tonight." You know the real critique about game play (or singing) isn't going to be good if looks was what they had to start with to compliment because in either case it isn't a beauty pageant.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Boooo.......fake news!

Now that was funny.. Well said!! Where's the like button!! lol

20201027_220957 (resized).jpg20201027_220957 (resized).jpg

#25 3 years ago

The main reason Munsters doesn't earn on location is the lack of a ball save.NO ONE IS PAYING $1 PER GAME FOR THAT MOTHER FUCKING BULLSHIT !!!

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

The main reason Munsters doesn't earn on location is the lack of a ball save.NO ONE IS PAYING $1 PER GAME FOR THAT MOTHER FUCKING BULLSHIT !!!

We had it turned on and it didn't make a difference.

#27 3 years ago

I had a Premium B&W Munster NIB, enjoyed it for a while and it was a pretty machine, but with the limited code the machine was not been played much anymore after let say 1 month. First game I traded (and only one so far). I do not miss that game at all.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

What kind monster would put a stern at a dollar a game?

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

Every operator in MI and OH

#30 3 years ago

Gets old very quick. There are just so many other better games for the same price. No point.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Enjoyed the video, makes me want to go home and play a few games after I get off of work.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.. Happy Halloween.. The "Munsters" way!

6 months later
#34 2 years ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

One in business to stay in business.

On the route I helped on we only put out Prem/LE machines. They're expensive. In fact, we ran jjPotC at $1.50/game with 4 balls per game to take the edge off the price and it was the best-performing pin on the route right up until COVID happened, even at $1.50/game. People got a great experience and an extra ball, so they didn't care about the buy-in.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

In what venue? At St. Paul Tap Munsters didn't draw flies compared to anything, certainly not to JP2 which has been a top earner the entire time. Munsters was a massive disappointment the entire time it was there, never even experiencing that new game bump in earnings. It has already been unceremoniously replaced by Avengers while older games like Star Wars, Ghosbusters and Deadpool and others continue to live on and earn. It would have left even sooner for TMNT, but we squeezed another game in the row instead of pulling one out. That op made a mistake of ordering his first LE ever as a Munsters LE for a different location too based on looks alone. That turned out to be a big mistake, but at least he found a newer person to the pinball scene to buy it so he was able to get out from under it without major financial damage thankfully. Unless someone is a massive Munsters fan, I would never tell anyone to consider picking one up because in our (and many other's) experience it doesn't earn and it is not easy to sell for a price that a recent release should command on the secondary market.

...and that is unfortunately where it stops. The first thing anyone ever says about Munsters is..."art looks great". That's like when they go to critique a person's singing on American Idol and start with, "You look beautiful tonight." You know the real critique about game play (or singing) isn't going to be good if looks was what they had to start with to compliment because in either case it isn't a beauty pageant.

At a non pinball bar. I would think at a "pinball" location it may not do well.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,489 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-pinball-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.