48%
  • Star Wars Pro 68 votes
    52%

(132 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20190211_201632 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

So I just got my tax return, and I haven't purchased a new pinball machine since Star Trek. I have played both Star Wars and the Munster's pro versions and I love them equally. What are your opinions about both of these titles and which of the 2 would you get? I realize it's a very personal choice.

#2 5 years ago

SW is an amazing game. Grab it and sell it down the road to pick up a Munsters when it's more complete if you like.

#3 5 years ago

Your choices couldn't be more different.

Sparse playfield with lightning fast flow & deep rules vs. nice looking & smooth playing game with easy rules...

What do you prefer?

Munsters is new, so it's more compelling, but you'll save lot if you just get a used SW Pro and from that Money you can go on vacation with your Family or something.

#4 5 years ago

Toss up. I’d go with whatever theme you like better.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Your choices couldn't be more different.
Sparse playfield with lightning fast flow & deep rules vs. nice looking & smooth playing game with easy rules...
What do you prefer?
Munsters is new, so it's more compelling, but you'll save lot if you just get a used SW Pro and from that Money you can go on vacation with your Family or something.

I think your right about The Munsters. Maybe its newness is what is drawing me in. I wish Star Wars had a little more on the playfield. The PREMIUM model is just too high for my budget but I do like the little extras. Thanks guys for your comments. Im will keep watching for more

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I wish Star Wars had a little more on the playfield.

After swearing I’d never own one, I picked up a SW yesterday and I’ve been pleasantly surprised. My reason for picking it up is that none of my local friends have one and the younger players at the State Championship were killing the local adult players on the game because they knew what to do. I decided to start rotating a newer Stern Pro thru the line up every few months. SW is the first.

Once you figure out what’s going on, the game is a blast! It’s got both depth and strategy. Don’t worry about the sparse playfield. You won’t have time to notice, especially after you realize how valuable the moving shot multipliers can be.

#7 5 years ago

Buy SW once the code is more finished on munsters sell SW to buy munsters.

#8 5 years ago

Star Wars pro is a brutal wasteland of emptiness, difficulty, over complicated code and very little theme integration. Munsters is the shiny new object, much more straightforward and with 100x the theme integration.

Save $1000 and buy a Star Wars now. You’ll be bored of it and or frustrated with it enough in a few months time and ready to sell it for very little $ loss and capitalize on the inevitable price dip on Munsters down to $5000 or so. Every one of the new sterns lands around $4800-5000 after a few months.

#9 5 years ago

Star Wars Premium/LE is the way to go

Save up-it is worth it

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Star Wars pro is a brutal wasteland of emptiness, difficulty, over complicated code and very little theme integration.

horse·shitDictionary result for horseshit
/ˈhôr(s)ˌSHit/Submit
nounVULGAR SLANG•NORTH AMERICAN
nonsense.

#11 5 years ago

Star Wars is probably my favorite game in my collection. I think the theme integration is great. The playfield may look bare, but the layout is great and the code is awesomely addicting. Gives you that 'one more game' feel even more than Iron Man. For some crazy reason second hand Star Wars sell pretty cheap too. It's the best bang for the buck of anything out there right now. Grab an HUO or lightly routed one for $1k less than NIB Munsters, play it while Munsters code matures, and if you get bored sell it at a $0 loss and pick up a Munsters.

#12 5 years ago

Everyone has been making some great points about buying a Star Wars Pro. I think you are correct and I will certainly save money. I think that's the direction I'm going to go in, and maybe down the road buy a Munsters at a reduced price.
You guys are awesome. I'm glad I came here to ask and get your opinions.
I shall keep watching the marketplace. If anyone has a Star Wars Pro in the New England area and would like to sell it, drop me a PM.

#13 5 years ago

If you like them both equally i would go with whatever theme that you like the best. I think Munsters is the better game personally.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you like them both equally i would go with whatever theme that you like the best. I think Munsters is the better game personally.

I do also.. for some reason starwars don't do much for me. Plus to many choices on the screen to pick from ..i just wanna play pinball not read 20 different options i have to choose from for my next shot lol. However the game is fast and has fun shots and great light effects and i can see the draw .

#15 5 years ago

Had a pinball party last night and I always like to ask my guest what pinball machine they liked the best out of my collection...

Guys-Star Wars LE and Guardians of the Galaxy

Gals-Transformers and Tron

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I am a hugh Star Wars fan. I have owned every SW pin at one point or another. I love the fact this pin focuses on episode 4, 5 + 6 and not the others. As others have mentioned, I can play with this machine and sell it down the road then buy a discounted Munsters

#17 5 years ago

I have owned both. Star Wars is gone.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

I have owned both. Srar Wars is gone.

Yes but you also trade pinball machines like baseball cards and probably never get to learn the rules and objectives completely before trading or selling off.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I am a hugh Star Wars fan. I have owned every SW pin at one point or another. I love the fact this pin focuses on episode 4, 5 + 6 and not the others. As others have mentioned, I can play with this machine and sell it down the road then buy a discounted Munsters

Since you are a huge star wars fan i would definitely get star wars then. Star Wars is a good game.

#20 5 years ago

Star Wars is my pick.

#21 5 years ago

For pro, I'd go munsters, for premium, I'd go SW.

#22 5 years ago

I would go with Star Wars. Both Star Wars Pro and Munsters Pro have little on the playfield in terms of toys. However, Munsters pro does have a couple more interesting toys in my opinion over Star Wars pro. With Munsters you will get a moving ramp and bash target and interactive magnet. With Star Wars pro you get 4 drop targets...Yeah there's a mini LCD toy but the ball doesn't interact with it. In terms of code though Star Wars is light years ahead of Munsters and has much deeper theme integration.

With Munsters you are getting 5 character modes, 1 wizard mode and then there's 3 levels of each with them all pretty much playing the same. With Star Wars you are getting 12 main modes all with unique assets, rules, video clips, etc plus 4 mini wizard modes (all unique), 2-3 other multiball modes, 2 additional standalone feature modes (Escape from Boba Fett and Obi-Wan vs Vader mode) a video mode, and a super wizard mode. Toss in actor audio and video assets plus licensed music spread throughout the entire game and Star Wars easily offers some of the best theme integration in pinball.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I am a hugh Star Wars fan. I have owned every SW pin at one point or another. I love the fact this pin focuses on episode 4, 5 + 6 and not the others.

Way to bury the lead?

#24 5 years ago

SW isn’t the same game without the hyper speed ramp. That shot is so important to the game and I so much easier to hit on the pro. It’s so satisfying to hit it on the premium, but sucks big time when it doesn’t get up the fork ramp, especially when you hit the shot perfectly and still get the reject.

I loved SWPREM, but sold it after 10
Months. It is super complicated, a little too complicated in the end. Add
In the frustration level, and it just was too much to be a long term keeper for me.

The light show is incredible, and I think the playfield is gorgeous, fast and fun. SR is my fave designer of all time, so it’s def a fun pin.

Not sure you can go wrong, like LERMOD said, pick the theme you like more.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

SW isn’t the same game without the hyper speed ramp. That shot is so important to the game and I so much easier to hit on the pro. It’s so satisfying to hit it on the premium, but sucks big time when it doesn’t get up the fork ramp, especially when you hit the shot perfectly and still get the reject.
I loved SWPREM, but sold it after 10
Months. It is super complicated, a little too complicated in the end. Add
In the frustration level, and it just was too much to be a long term keeper for me.
The light show is incredible, and I think the playfield is gorgeous, fast and fun. SR is my fave designer of all time, so it’s def a fun pin.
Not sure you can go wrong, like LERMOD said, pick the theme you like more.

Oh I love both themes. Who can forget ol Herman Munster in Pet Sematary or My Cousin Vinny (Whats a yut). But I did grow up with SW. When I saw SW last year at the NE Pin show, I wasnt in love with it. There didnt appear too many toys.
Now that I am in the market for a Spike machine, my first choice was The Munsters. But I think what others here have said makes a lot of sence.
Now that I have made my mind up and want SW, you guys are making me want a prem model. I just dont think I can swing that kind of cash. When I had Star Trek, I was 100% happy with the pro model, and didnt want any other model. Im hoping I will feel this same way about the SW pro.
I need to play it again next weekend. What I dislike about places that have it is you cant hear it and I think a game like Star Wars has such classic music and fun movie clips, they are important to be heard.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Yes but you also trade pinball machines like baseball cards and probably never get to learn the rules and objectives completely before trading or selling off.

Have you ever owned The Munsters? I dont care if you played it on location or at a friends. Have u owned one?

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Have you ever owned The Munsters? I dont care if you played it on location or at a friends. Have u owned one?

Why even ask this question? It's only been out for what 2-3 weeks?

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from Jasontaps:

I think your right about The Munsters. Maybe its newness is what is drawing me in. I wish Star Wars had a little more on the playfield. The PREMIUM model is just too high for my budget but I do like the little extras. Thanks guys for your comments. Im will keep watching for more

If you want Star Wars with more on the Palyfield go Star Trek (Pro).

#29 5 years ago

I own a Star Wars pro and really enjoy it. I know it’s a let down for many, but remove the high expectations and you are left with a fast, flowing game with great music and a theme that we all love. I should also mention that the GI light show is great on the pro.

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

If you want Star Wars with more on the Palyfield go Star Trek (Pro).

I have owned on and off ST Pro and your right, that's a great pin. I want a spike title now. I am keeping my eyes open for a SW pro or prem.

#31 5 years ago

This topic fits right in my wheelhouse. I really dig both of these games. I really like Star Wars, and love playing the pro on location, but I would rather have a premium in my home.

#32 5 years ago

Star Wars but I’d avoid that and get iron maiden or GOTG or B66

#33 5 years ago

SW is a great game. Hold back from trying to constantly juggling shots. make the needed shot and cradle. repeat. u will be amazed how fun it is. shots are a little more challenging than munsters but still are makeable. i like that you can chose your character and that helps with the game. constant risk vs rewards that goes on. when it rewards it can be big. i cranked over 1 billion on a perfect video mode with 40x. both are great on lights and sounds. munsters is great campy fun like the tv show. best display animations yet. shots are buttery smooth and no cheap drains.

best of luck

#34 5 years ago
Quoted from busa32927:

SW is a great game. Hold back from trying to constantly juggling shots. make the needed shot and cradle. repeat. u will be amazed how fun it is. shots are a little more challenging than munsters but still are makeable. i like that you can chose your character and that helps with the game. constant risk vs rewards that goes on. when it rewards it can be big. i cranked over 1 billion on a perfect video mode with 40x. both are great on lights and sounds. munsters is great campy fun like the tv show. best display animations yet. shots are buttery smooth and no cheap drains.
best of luck

It's kind of interesting that Star Wars is having such a resurgence on pinside. I think the Hype versus reality hurt the pin a lot. I wonder if Munsters is going through something similar now and if there will be a later resurgence.

I find Star Wars very fun on location as it's fast with nice flowing shots. I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the multiplier's importance in scoring and I wonder if smashing the button for tie fighters would get old (I kind of like it right now). The music and callouts do make me feel like I'm in the Star Wars universe -- having to watch a lot of the clone wars cartoon with my son makes the call outs especially cool (the guy doing the call outs is the narrator of the cartoon). I get that people who never watched the cartoon would be a bit taken back by the call outs though (most adults here?).

Of course maybe I'm having the reverse reaction that others had as I had super low expectations and was surprised that it was a fun shooting pin. At any rate Star Wars seems like a good bet now, especially if you can snag a good used one as they are going pretty cheap.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from iloveplywood:

It's kind of interesting that Star Wars is having such a resurgence on pinside. I think the Hype versus reality hurt the pin a lot.

It was fanboi shit from start to finish. Not enough dolls, it ruined fans lives, not what they were masturbating to etc etc.
Then there's the multiplier system that everyone just assumed was supper complicated and ruined it...then people gave it a chance and realized it isn't hard to grasp at all.
Then they all complained aboot hitting a button, on machine that was build to hit buttons...jesus you can't win. It doesn't get old because it's fun, and like the multiplier system it's all risk vs. reward. The game is constantly making you screw yourself over, which is fun.

#36 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

It was fanboi shit from start to finish. Not enough dolls, it ruined fans lives, not what they were masturbating to etc etc.
Then there's the multiplier system that everyone just assumed was supper complicated and ruined it...then people gave it a chance and realized it isn't hard to grasp at all.
Then they all complained aboot hitting a button, on machine that was build to hit buttons...jesus you can't win. It doesn't get old because it's fun, and like the multiplier system it's all risk vs. reward. The game is constantly making you screw yourself over, which is fun.

I agree with TheLaw, once you figure out that the multiplier is completely up to you to use or just put them in one spot and play it’s really not that complicated. The way you can choose a different hero and it actually changes the way you play the game modes is just fun and adds longevity to the game. Lots of multiballs but you have to earn them. This game is not a bash game like Metallica. You have to make shots to get rewarded, but isn’t that what pinball is supposed to be about. Can’t go wrong with SW...pro or premium.

#37 5 years ago

Great art work, great video snippets, good quotes before, during, and after the game, great flow, great light show, fantastic Midnight Madness intro and play, and last but not least, FUN FUN FUN to play. This game plays right in the middle in my opinion, not to hard but still a challenge to make the shots in the correct sequences needed to score big points. Lastly, take a look at one in person and play it, it just might change your mind!

20190211_201632 (resized).jpg20190211_201632 (resized).jpg
#38 5 years ago

I'm not a fan of Stern's Star Wars Pinball......game plays nice but just lacks that overall fun factor I get from other pins. This seems to be a most recent feel of many of Sterns new pinball machines IMO. They just leave you feeling empty when you play them.

Munsters I haven't played but I really enjoy the theme, layout, and IMO it's one of Stern's better looking pins in recent years. I hope I'm not disappointed....seems like an easy to understand game with good early code.....got high hopes for this one.

As for other newer Stern pins....I'm just not a fan. They just don't stack up vs 90's Williams/Bally pins.

#39 5 years ago
Quoted from Chicoman:

As for other newer Stern pins....I'm just not a fan. They just don't stack up vs 90's Williams/Bally pins.

They stack up in the sense that they are better pinball machines. I like the 90's stuff 2 but they aren't as good, plain and simple.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 18.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 3,899.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA
$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

6,489 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Alexandria, VA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 104.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-or-star-wars-pro?hl=dkjimbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.