Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1324 (resized).jpeg
Munsters (resized).jpg
IMG_1321 (resized).jpeg
IMG_1320 (resized).jpeg
#1 5 years ago

Took delivery of a Munsters Pro on 2/21. Game has less than 50 plays and have had the following weirdly intermittent issues.

- On 2/24, the game went catatonic during attract mode. LCD was displaying images, but the PF was dark. The start button didn't work. When I power cycled the game the message below was displayed during boot. Game was in the same state...LCD working, PF dark. After 10 minutes or so, the game came back to life. Start button worked and game played fine.

- On 2/23, while playing with a few other folks, the game rebooted during gameplay.

- On 2/22, while playing alone, the flipper went limp during a multi-ball with balls still in play. PF also went dark.

I've become accustomed to NIB "dialing in", however I've never experienced a NIB game this flakey from Stern. Intermittent issues are a real pain to diagnose. I have to imagine all of these are somehow related.

Any ideas? Do you think it could be a flakey power supply? Anyone else experience any of these issues?

IMG_1320 (resized).jpegIMG_1320 (resized).jpeg
#2 5 years ago

I would be sure wall outlet is good and power cord plugged in tight.

Unplug the game. Then reseat any connectors in the backbox dealing with power. And work the power switch on and off 5 or 6 times.

Then plug it in and see if anything improved.

LTG : )

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Unplug the game. Then reseat any connectors in the backbox dealing with power. And work the power switch on and off 5 or 6 times.

I know the outlet is good since my AS Pro was using the same outlet for many months and performed flawlessly. I also have a device that monitors the current (typically in the range of 117-122).

I reseated the connectors and will see how it goes. All the connectors seemed tight, so I'm not too optimistic.

I appreciate the quick response and will report back tomorrow after more testing.

IMG_1321 (resized).jpegIMG_1321 (resized).jpeg
#4 5 years ago

Have you installed the latest code since you taken it out of the box? I would reinstall the code. When it says to power cycle after the installation, leave the game off for a minute so the LEDs on the CPU are completely off. Then turn on the game.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Have you installed the latest code since you taken it out of the box? I would reinstall the code. When it says to power cycle after the installation, leave the game off for a minute so the LEDs on the CPU are completely off. Then turn on the game.

Game was built on 2/6 and was running the latest code (0.91). Sounds like you think the code might be corrupted?

#6 5 years ago

1 day after receiving my Munsters Pro i started getting this error. Centre button works to zap but not launch ball, ball doesn't auto launch during multi ball. Put the machine into test mode and auto launch coil works, shooter lane switch registers and centre button registers. I re seat all connections and make sure no wires are loose or solder connections bad. Reboot the machine and starts working for a day before i get the same problem again. Not sure what to do but contact my Distributor.

Munsters (resized).jpgMunsters (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:Took delivery of a Munsters Pro on 2/21. Game has less than 50 plays and have had the following weirdly intermittent issues.
- On 2/24, the game went catatonic during attract mode. LCD was displaying images, but the PF was dark. The start button didn't work. When I power cycled the game the message below was displayed during boot. Game was in the same state...LCD working, PF dark. After 10 minutes or so, the game came back to life. Start button worked and game played fine.
- On 2/23, while playing with a few other folks, the game rebooted during gameplay.
- On 2/22, while playing alone, the flipper went limp during a multi-ball with balls still in play. PF also went dark.
I've become accustomed to NIB "dialing in", however I've never experienced a NIB game this flakey from Stern. Intermittent issues are a real pain to diagnose. I have to imagine all of these are somehow related.
Any ideas? Do you think it could be a flakey power supply? Anyone else experience any of these issues?[quoted image]

First, I would contact Stern and then your distro. (I am sure you would have done this already). With your machine off, I would remove and re seat all your cableing throughout the back box (power supply) and then the rest of the machine. You cannot do much more than that until you speak with Stern. If it is not a loose cable (power to the node boards or loose earth), sounds like a power supply issues but could also be CPU and/or node board related.

I had a message similar to that but I had forgotten to re connect the power supply to the cabinet node board. I put the cable back on, restarted the machine and away it went. No issues since.

I am sure that Stern will look after you. Please post their response.

This can be a frustrating hobby.. New game and it does not work. We have had that happen a few times.

Best of Luck.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Game was built on 2/6 and was running the latest code (0.91). Sounds like you think the code might be corrupted?

Not quite sure, but since Stern doesn't answer the phone on a Sunday, it is what I would try. If it still does it again, then hardware/cable issue.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Wall outlet is fine. Reseated all connectors. Worked intermittently, then took a turn for the worse and doesn't boot at all with the following message.

Stern is apparently sending a new CPU board. Hopefully this will fix it. If not, it will be a bummer.

Nothing like NIB

IMG_1324 (resized).jpegIMG_1324 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#10 5 years ago

Finally received the new CPU board from Stern on 3/7 and the game is now playing fast & furious. Another unfortunate "NIB speed bump", but my distributor took care of me. Selling the game in a couple hours after 2 weeks and 70 plays. The shortest stay game I've ever owned.

I'm sure Munsters will be great on location, but for home use it does nothing for me. The software is too basic and the shots are too easy. Just reached Monster Madness on ball 1. I know, I know, listen to the Stern video and Dwight will help me "see the light" Been there, done that.

On the positive side, the artwork is stunning and ramps are awesome. Glad other Pinsiders appear to be loving it...just not for me.

#11 5 years ago

God I must suck at pinball. After close to 100 games I have only gotten to Munster Madness 2 or 3 times. Without the ball save it's usually a short game for me.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from sublime90803:

God I must suck at pinball. After close to 100 games I have only gotten to Munster Madness 2 or 3 times. Without the ball save it's usually a short game for me.

I'm running with the default settings...no ball save. Just to be clear, I don't get MM on every game! Seems like 1 out of 4/5 games.

I see you own SW Premium? Now that's a game that kicks my arse! Very tough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,489 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-issues?hl=alby and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.