(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #550 Munsters Premium and LE cabinet art Posted by pinsanity (5 years ago)

Post #8004 0.96 Code change summary Posted by PanzerFreak (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#784 5 years ago

I grew up with The Munsters and love the theme, but I'd have to play it first. It could be super fun and funny, or it could be GB-linear or SW-mathchess with Dwight at the helm.

#786 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

My potential concern with a Dwight Sullivan code is completeness. This issue obviously isn't unique for his games and his time availability is not ultimately his call, but I understand that both GoT's and GB's code feel unfinished. Not sure as far as SW's. In contrast, although he can take quite a while to finish, you can be confident that a Lyman Sheats code will be complete in the end.

For me it's completeness & concept. When Lyman's games are unfinished, you can still see the concept forming...and for me, I always like Lyman's approach to game design. I haven't gelled with Dwight's game design concepts since he came back to Stern.

1 month later
#1268 5 years ago
Quoted from brett:

These shows along with Batman and Munsters were prime time T.V., Back in the 60s.
They were all campy, but they were great entertainment.

Not sure about the rest of the country, but in Chicago The Munsters was on every day in syndication in the early 80's. I watched it every day along with The Monkees & Lost In Space.

#1274 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

And let's not forget Son of Svengoolie! A Chicago staple!

I was aware of Svengoolie but didn't really pay much attention to it. Bozo the Clown was a real Chicago staple, though! Friggin' 10+ year wait for tickets!!!!

#1313 5 years ago

They've tried rebooting it so many times and it never works...there was a TV movie with Edward Hermann as Herman in the 90's, the Wayans were working on a movie version that ultimately didn't get made, there's the Mockingbird Lane pilot that tried to make them more serious and dramatic....just let it go - it was what it was and it was a perfect element of its time.

#1337 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Is that video that old allready?
Oh my, gimme some LIVESTREAMS from Expo.
(There were some the years before, weren't they?)
And for that FB video. Borg says it's his favorite game together with Metallica and his first one...
...wich I still think is pure marketing BS, but everyone who is looking forward to a pin about a black an white sitcom who's long forgotten might like to hear this (again).
Now I go watch some silent movies.

Addams Family was an old B&W sitcom...then became a smash movie and the #1 selling pin of all time. Spooky-Funny has always worked well for pinball...if done right, this game could be “Stern’s Addams”.

#1346 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Uhm... not to take from the game but from your argument:
That was 20+ years ago and to a new movie coming out as you say.
There is no Munters movie...

I’m just saying - Spooky campy comedy works for pinball. Not saying the game will be good or sell well...just saying it has potential to have the same vibe, and that’s a vibe people find entertaining.

#1354 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

No it doesn't its terrible. I've played RZ and AMH and the comedy sucks. Its like the custom call outs for GB's and ST or the Hillbilly in TWD. Very rairly do they pull it off. STTNG comes to mind, and thats mostly because they didn't try to make it funny.

You’re still doing your “I hate comedy” schtick? It’s not funny.

#1356 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

That is, of course, right...
I'm just curious how well that game will really do, since the license is that old now.

Well, old white men buy pinball, so it will probably sell fine to home owners. I think it will be appealing on location, too, even if people don't know the theme well...they'll see funny monster people and give it a shot.

#1364 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's a BFD (Borg design, Franchi Art, Dwight code). So, thankfully, no Lonnie.

Dwight’s track record of Linearbusters, Game of Math, and Math Wars puts me in a solid “wait and play first” category.

#1382 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They're probably trying to squeeze out whatever deadpool sales they can before killing it for good by announcing almost anything else. I don't blame them. When you have a weak hand, you have to play it hard if you're not folding straight out.

They always have multiple games on the line...nothing is really ever competing with other games. More titles = more possible sales from different demographics. Deadpool will be in production for 3 years, so doubt they’d delay a game due to sales of another. If people want Deadpool they’ll want Deadpool. If they want Munsters they’ll want Munsters.

#1430 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I really having nothing else to say.

Finally.

#1440 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Why don't you go play Nintendo and think its good, then laugh at the jokes in family guy which is unfunny garbage. Finally? not a chance.

Cool story, bro. What a joyless life...

1 week later
#1610 5 years ago

Well that's not true. Every model has an LCD, and the SE and LE have a giant color LCD that blows away anything Stern's done with their iPad screen.

#1613 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

The MBr “dots” are f’in gorgeous and a huge improvement/upgrade over the originals dots, the level of detail on the remakes dots is simply amazing, a true upgrade over the original.
But I wouldn’t say it’s better than anything Stern has done, Lyman & co have done a wonderful job with the lcd in BM66, the clips are brilliantly timed with the gameplay and integrated seamlessly with pinball related text/info and the custom backgrounds they have made for each mode, where the clips sit in a tv frame capture the campyness and fun of the show and theme perfectly!

It's OK, but it's still a small and oddly proportioned screen. Wide aspect ratio is so much more preferable for pinball. Clips are clips, they're not new art/design like MBr. B66 is prob the best Stern LCD so far...none of them have quite nailed a style or format that works or feels polished or modern.

#1629 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

There is no LCD in any of the MBr machines per CGC. They look great though.

They literally all have LCD displays.

1 month later
#2339 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

I've never understood the appeal of TAF. Never liked the theme, or the gameplay. It's weird that of all the games, that is the best selling of all time. Had to just be timing. I mean, I understand that enough like it to justify it, so it's just a personal opinion that I am one of those that don't, but not really sure why it did as well as it did and nothing else did as well. There are better games that came out after IMO.

Addams was a game changer. No Game had a mode structure leading to a wizard mode like that before. No game incorporated movie content & custom dialog like that before. No Game had hidden magnets that F’d with the ball before, or a game controlled flipper, or a mysterious toy reveal like Thing...or or or - the game was full of fun and surprises, and almost every game after it used it as a template.

#2340 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

By then, the LE models had started making Stern some nice inflated profit. More sales were moving to the home user. Old Jack was liking what he was seeing, and decided it was time to jump in, but didn't have a game out until 2013. In the meantime, Tron hit, followed by AC/DC. Stern fueled the resurgence and made it possible for other to be successful. I say possible, because many have failed.

You’re rewriting history a bit. In 2010/11 Stern had scaled down so much, their only designer was Borg. Their only programmer was Lonnie w/ Lyman helping a bit as freelance. Collectors HATED Stern games of this era. They hated Iron Man. They thought Tron was a joke. They didn’t get popular until later when people realized they were fun. Even low run LE’s like Stones & Avatar sold slowly & are said to not have been finished their production runs.

Stern brought back Steve Ritchie for AC/DC as a counter to JJP’s announcement of the company & WOZ. Stern didn’t have a real resurgence until AC/DC became a massive unexpected hit. The collector hype from AC/DC & Tron LE’a value spike led to LE’s selling well to speculators and flippers, even if the games were bad. Even those sales booms weren’t a real representation of the pinball resurgence, which really started a bit later with a mix of marketing, better themes/art, pop culture, nostalgia, streamers, tournaments and barcades.

#2342 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

I’m not re-writing history. The is no pinball resurgence without Stern.

That is true, but your facts and timeline are wrong.

#2350 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

The thread’s moved on. Last night was the time to jump into that argument.

Says who? Forum posts don’t have time limits for responses. I don’t live on Pinside anymore lol....I’m not likely to participate as though it’s a live chat. I was enjoying time with loved ones last nite.

Once again, you’re wrong. Sowwy.

#2353 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

Totally untrue.
Since JJP arrived, Stern has:
- added LCD screens and hired animation artists
- increased # of coders and made a stronger commitment to update code in games (BM66, WD, AS are all great examples)
- added Franchi, ZombieYeti and Dirty Donnie as artists
- improved quality control
- started contract manufacturing
- hired more designers
Are there other factors at work? Sure. But to say the competition has meant nothing? When Stern had no competition, you had games with DMD only, photoshopped art, and incomplete or long delays in code. Competition is healthy!

Not entirely true. There are still long delays for code. Batman 66 has taken years to get close to complete. Kiss just got an update. GB owners keep wondering out loud.

As for quality, while Stern has had ups and downs, none of my SAM era Sterns ever had splitting cabinets, insert problems like GB’s initial run had, or soft crater mush playfields.

1 month later
#3690 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

BORGY THE —ing FLOW GRANDMASTER PINBALL WIZARD is about to kill it

HYPEY THE ---ing HYPE GRANDHYPER PINBALL HYPER is about to hype it!

#3707 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The more people complain about a black and white version the more I hope Stern makes one
People on here have no vision. It could look AMAZING and would stand out in any arcade or basement.

Even though I think the B&W should be the LE and not the Premium, it could look really cool. I think people forget that the GI & inserts will introduce tons of color into the gameplay. We'll just have to see how it looks in action to truly judge what a B&W modern pin might look like.

#3915 5 years ago
Quoted from Supersquid:

God, how much would Guardians suck if it was in B&W.

It sucks in color!

#3939 5 years ago

Perhaps there’s a language barrier here....let me try something else: A BOBBALEE BOBO, ABOBBALEE BO.

Awful game, total waste of a great license. Munsters won’t have a bad fake voice problem.

#3942 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Fixed with Cleland's mod.
Now.....bliss.

Having to fix horrible sound packages on $6000-$9000 games....bullshit.

#3953 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Agreed. 100%. No argument here.
But the game doesn't suck, especially after the sound mod.

Off topic posting is against the rules!

Let’s only speak of the wonderful Munster family!!!

#4080 5 years ago

I think they all look great but I am LOVING the B&W version the most. It looks clean & classy, true to the license, and I like how the color splashes come from the LED lighting vs. the "artificial color" of the color versions. I think the art of the characters & composition of the translite/cab are the best of the bunch.

Good reveal!

#4164 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

+1 on Aurich. LE looks great.
I’m sure with updates the constant laugh tracks and looping/randomness will mesh better.

I love the laugh track! Feels like you're playing a 60's sitcom!

#4167 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

That laugh track idea is bad, there's just no sugar coating it, playing it over and over and over like that is grating

I think it's the best thing they've ever done, it makes me happy! Laugh track is pushing me toward a purchase!

#4174 5 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Laugh track is quickly becoming this game's Abobolee-bo-bo

Not even remotely. Bobalee Bobo sucks cuz it's a bad voice actor imitating Rooker horribly. Munsters had a laugh track. It fits the theme perfectly.

I keep noticing more excellent touches. Love the xylophone sound that goes with the left ramp shot...it's like the ball action is scored live. Perfect!!!!

#4196 5 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

Folks are comparing FG Stewie pf to Munsters. From video Munsters seems to have steel ball, possibly 3/4". Way better than the plastic crap ball on FG imo.
Anyone know size?

FGY has a metal ball, NOT plastic. If you played one with plastic, the owner changed it.

#4198 5 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

I might have considered the Premium if it would have been color.

It has color. From the lighting....and on some text & toys. Looks incredible!

#4210 5 years ago
Quoted from Wakky:

We had the option of either doing one of the following -
1/ Keep the original recordings which have the sound track and laugh track embedded . These are impossible to remove due to the nature of the original recordings
Or
2/ Overdub new voices and sounds on top of the original video shots . This would unfortunately not satisfy collectors who expect to hear the original sounds of course which the laugh track is included and of course impossible to separate from the mono recordings completed in the 1960s.
Regards Stern marketing

That was the right move. Sound perfect to me.

#4217 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I really wish the Premium playfield was color. Maybe Grandpa's basement could've been black and white only.
There's really no reason to make Franchi's awesome art look dull.

It doesn’t look dull at all. It’s extremely sharp. And if you look at the Color versions, they sorta look like he did it in B/W first then colored it to look like colorized B/W film.

#4226 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I’m thinking the 2 sets of flipper buttons will allow for some cool modes with both upper and lower playing at once. FGY only has one set?

FG only uses two buttons, but you play upper and lower at the same time for Stewie Multiball. The extra set of buttons is the only thing I'm scratching my head about on this game....doesn't seem like it needs them, but I guess we'll see if there's a real gameplay reason for it.

#4227 5 years ago

I'm not saying blurry. I'm saying Black and White is duller than Color. If you want to watch 4K TV in black and white, be my guest.
The LE and Pro playfield are vibrant.

You see vibrant, I see "busy". Resolution has nothing to do with vibrancy. You can watch beautifully shot B&W movies on a 4KTV. Light, shadow and cinematography can be gorgeous in black and white. Just depends on the artist. Anyway - I think all 3 versions look great. Glad there are options for all tastes.

#4276 5 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

Did the pro get play in the stream I only watched the first hour?

Pro tomorrow.

#4287 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

It looks terrible imo zapping the pop color and attitude I love about pinball tables.

Think about how it will look during gameplay with colors shooting out of the inserts and flashers, colored light playing off of the toys, plastics, etc. It's going to be really beautiful in action.

#4306 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I think it looks really nice, but I would have liked it more if they had gone all out, and used white/clear inserts with colored LEDs instead. If you're gonna do it, then really do it. I feel like it wouldn't have changed anyone's mind, as far as love or hate either way, but it would have made it much more stunning when the black and white came to life in color as the inserts lit up.

There are little colors peppered throughout, like the text...I personally appreciate some color coding in inserts. Herman's inserts are green (and he's a lock which is traditionally green), Lily is orange, Spot is red, Grandpa is purple, etc. I think clarity is sometimes better than the ability to be ANY color. Some inserts are clear, so those will be multi-colored...and hopefully with just a few being clear, color changes won't be confusing like they can be on some "anything can be any color" games.

#4340 5 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

I can’t say that I like the looks of the B&W everywhere else, but not on the display. Really, I’m not sure that I like the color on the LCD at all.

The cabinet has green logos. The playfield has color text, inserts, and lights. The clips on the LCD are B&W with some subtle mostly monochrome color. It all works together quite well - it’s not going to feel out of place at all.

#4349 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

The person that said it was Stern’s best selling machine of all time is Joe Kaminkow, if he can be trusted. You’d think he’d know sales figures?

There are only a few hundred between Super LE & LE, and Premium didn’t sell at all while the code was in shambles. I’m sure it picked up recently with better code..but with that roll out and no Pro, it’s impossible that it’s sold more than the top sellers: TSPP, LOTR, AC/DC, Metallica, GB. It probably didn’t sell as many as lesser sellers like the original Batman Dark Knight.

#4408 5 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Okay, somebody please help me because I am not sure if I am confused. Is it common in pinball to use the word "lite" instead of the word "light?" I was looking at Grandpa's Laboratory and the words "Lite Machine" used twice on the lower playfield are really bothering me. Is this normal?
[quoted image]

1D6A1A94-1336-4451-ABA9-FFF6F4291591 (resized).jpeg1D6A1A94-1336-4451-ABA9-FFF6F4291591 (resized).jpeg36211458-8EE7-4C0C-B10B-72F27174F275 (resized).jpeg36211458-8EE7-4C0C-B10B-72F27174F275 (resized).jpeg38B01BF5-99B5-4883-ABA5-600C7F5A070E (resized).jpeg38B01BF5-99B5-4883-ABA5-600C7F5A070E (resized).jpeg61E3BCD5-AA36-4A1E-8B42-2282182938D9 (resized).jpeg61E3BCD5-AA36-4A1E-8B42-2282182938D9 (resized).jpeg81C60966-E4C8-436D-9AA4-A352C76CCA16 (resized).jpeg81C60966-E4C8-436D-9AA4-A352C76CCA16 (resized).jpegC344C6D2-7D65-480D-8319-23E515EC5372 (resized).jpegC344C6D2-7D65-480D-8319-23E515EC5372 (resized).jpegE8304EDC-A284-469A-A1F0-859E7D63A5C7 (resized).jpegE8304EDC-A284-469A-A1F0-859E7D63A5C7 (resized).jpeg

#4459 5 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Looks good but long lasting in a home collection? That laugh track would drive me bat shit crazy. I couldn’t even watch 15 minutes of the stream.

LAUGH TRACK FOREVER!!!!!

I watched 5 Munsters episodes last nite...non-stop laugh track...it's part of the experience & the pin captures it perfectly.

#4466 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I have a (honest, non trolling) question:
What is the "story" of the game, aka is there a(ny) story to speak of?

It's similar to other comedy TV show games....no real story, just enjoy the iconic characters & their scenarios through pinball gameplay.

#4470 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I will play it and I know I will like it.
But it wouldn't hurt to throw some dumbass stoy in.

Unlike movies, sitcoms generally don't have a story arc...but they have memorable music, characters, one liners, and situations. That's what they have to work with...they have 70 episodes of a 55 year old show to work with, it's not like they can script something new. I noticed the Hurry Up was "Herman is late to work"...so, it'll be like that. Each little area will have snippets of "story" based on the characters.

#4514 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Even the (now 25 years old) Animaniacs are getting a reboot in 2020! Surely they deserve their own “HelllooOOO Nurse!” Pin???

No “Hello Nurse” in the reboot. It’s not the 90’s anymore.

#4586 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Are there any links to gameplay videos? I missed them all and doubt i can catch it today.....

Search Deadflip on YouTube. He uploads them all there after the Twitch stream.

#4597 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Besides the high rate of flops for other video game crossover projects?

Sonic Pinball would actually kinda make sense...since he's often rolled into a ball, moving super fast, and traveling on loops & corkscrews. It would translate to pinball well. They could even ship it with blue balls!

#4606 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There has to be more modes then that otherwise it will have a very shallow ruleset

"Depth" as a guarantee of fun is a myth. "Shallow" as a critique without context is lazy. Game design (code) must match playfield design. Play the game first, see if it all works together. The initial complaints about Iron Man and Tron were "it's shallow" ...then they became mega hits, because the code design gelled perfectly with the playfield.

#4612 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Amen.
I’m playing pinball, I don’t want to feel like I’m reading a God damn novel.

I mean, sometimes depth works. For a trilogy like LOTR or Hobbit, depth makes sense and I love it on those games....but I also love games like Tron and IM.

#4646 5 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Be interesting if sales aren't strong if they release a color premium ala Metallica Road Case...

I get the feeling that the B&W Prem is going over very well. People seem to be cancelling LEs cuz they like it better. Head2Head's poll indicates people like it better. 181 votes, 35% for LE & 65% for Prem!

#4664 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Not what I am hearing or seeing.
LEs sold out at most distributors. (Called around most big distributors say sorry no LEs).

LE can still sell out with more people prefering the Premium. LE taps out at 500. Prem only has to sell more than 500 to show that more people like it.

#4771 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Tron is mirrored X-Men layout.

Layout similarity is irrelevant when playfield designs don't exist in a vacuum. They all have massively different rules, which makes the rhyme and reason for everything you do completely different, and thus the game feels different - not to mention any slight differences in geometry will make the ball react in drastically different ways. Critiquing a game for a similar layout without any other context is the laziest of pinball critique.

#4777 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Maybe I missed it but was there mention about the rules concerning COMBOS? I noticed combos piling up on the screen but I didn't see which shots were awarding the combos and how many combos there are. I think combos are fun in games and the more the merrier!

Yes, Dwight explained the combos in the Premium game stream. I don't remember all the details offhand, but there's a combo meter on the bottom of the LCD.

#4948 5 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

This is going to make some folks really upset. Thanks for verifying Jeff.

If you’re upset at the thought of more people being able to enjoy a thing, time to re-evaluate your perspective on life.

#5046 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

That's not the point at all and you know it. It's about honesty and integrity, and Stern is showing they are lacking in both.

If it was well into production & people had plaques that said 500, that would be shitty. The game hasn’t gone into production yet, and the info from Stern always says “subject to change”. So, it’s changed. Very slightly. It’s still the same game with the trim and bonuses that buyers are theoretically buying it for. A few more of them won’t change any buyer’s experience with it. If resale is a worry, I don’t think 500 vs. 600 will make a bit of difference.

#5202 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

This license may have limited appeal beyond the nostalgia soaked middle aged man market (like Batman 66)
So wringing some extra dollars out of the LE suckers isn't a bad idea.

Yup, and when they get bored and sell it for the next "fix", I'll be there to swoop it up cheaper...bwhahahaha!!!

#5255 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

What's your thoughts on the rules on being simple to get to Munster Madness?

Set the game up harder if it's an issue.

Quoted from Squizz:

How are Tournament players going to view this?

They always set up games super hard, so....shouldn't be an issue.

Iron Man & Tron have relatively simple "wizard" modes to get to...no one cares, they're super fun.

#5311 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I’d prefer to go back to the days of one version of the game. Either you were in or out. No multiple versions of art, hardware, rules or pricing tiers. Game has a problem: one fix to concentrate on.

It's literally the reason Stern can stay in business. Instant sales at an inflated price up front from wealthy pin maniacs who've never played it. You cannot get those sales without an LE concept. Without LE, people can just wait. When people wait, nothing is on the line. If nothing's on the line, you're wasting money. Those first sales are out of the way & most likely cover all production costs...so all Pro and Prem sales after that are pure profit. If the game is a bomb and post-LE sales aren't great - they're onto the next game & still selling the other games that are in production. Love it or hate it, it's precisely why we still have Stern Pinball.

#5317 5 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

I like this but I don't know if $415k from 500 LE sales would fully cover production costs of a game. Not to mention materials, overhead and licensing...

Where do you get that number from? 500 x $9000 = $4,500,000. Even if only half of that goes to Stern after BOM, distrib cut, etc....

#5318 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

If there is such a demand for LE's, Stern should offer more of them.

That defeats the point of marketing a limited product to people who don't want to miss out on getting one. The right number plus the right hype = SALES without questioning the price, quality, or even if it's a good game.

Quoted from snaroff:

Sorry Greg, I don't buy that without LE's, we wouldn't have Stern pinball. I'm sure it helps the bottom line, but the idea that we'd all be waiting on the sidelines isn't my experience. I've bought plenty of Premiums out of the gate. If Stern front-loaded Premiums, I don't think the initial burst of sales would suffer dramatically. Sure, the margins are lower, but there is still plenty of profit in a Premium.

Sure some people might buy Premiums at launch, but there's no incentive. Easy to say "I'll wait and see". The second word gets out that a game sucks or has issues or bad code, Prem/Pro sales stall....but you'll always have people who have to get the LE if the number is low enough...and those people will pay a super high price without a care.

#5322 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

799 for Star Trek.

Yup, and that was due to AC/DC LEs gaining so much value, so they figured the demand would be there for Steve Ritchie hype.

#5344 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

You, my friend are great at the "wait and see". Most of us aren't...and there are plenty of us
No doubt LE sales spice things up for Stern & it's distributors, but you were claiming Stern wouldn't exist without LE's.

Remember, in 2010 the ONLY designer was Borg and the ONLY programmer was Lonnie (with Lyman working freelance). Today they're in a bigger building with TONS of staff. Why? Constant flow of $$$$$$$$$$. The 3-tier structure with LE's that usually sell out up front is what has allowed for that. People used to WAIT & play games first. Then maybe buy if they like them. For $3500. Now they buy them for $9000 before they ever touch them. That consistent guaranteed income (then the following income from Pro/Premium sales for as long as popularity keeps them selling), then repeat with the next launch is what allows them to exist with the amount of employees they have now. Without this marketing strategy, they'd be closer to what they were like in 2010 or perhaps gone.

#5361 5 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

This is why Pinball became popular again.
The Pinball Arcade, Released
February 9, 2012

That's true, but everyone who loves Pinball Arcade doesn't spend $9000 on games they've never played. Only LE hype marketing & those susceptible to it is what moves those machines.

#5365 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

A theme you've been particularly waiting for, beautiful art package, cool features, and a killer display all help too!

That's Munsters for me! I'm still waiting though! It helps that the Premium package is my favorite, but I'll never buy a launch hype LE ever again.

#5366 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Pinball Arcade had nothing to do with why my friends and I started buying machines.
From the mid 70s through the mid 80s, we spent countless days in the local arcades. When we made a few bucks we wanted to recreate the arcade experience in our homes.

That's you. There are a lot of younger people who didn't experience the golden age of pinball for real. The Pinball Arcade is how they discovered the classics, and is part of the recent pinball popularity uptick.

#5378 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Ironman, Avatar, TRON, Transformers, AC/DC were terrible themes?
Ironman was a miss exactly for the reason rarehero stated, NO LE Model.

Well, at the time, here's why IM didn't sell:
-People considered it an Austin Powers retheme with less stuff
-No traditional modes when that's what people expected in games
-No price drop to reflect the "cheapness" of the BOM - buyers resented such a stripped down game selling for the same price as previous packed games.

It took YEARS for Iron Man to finally be appreciated for what it was: FUN. Then it started to sell. Stern can't wait for a game to make a reputation...they need sales up front. That's why we've got LE's now.

Quoted from Eskaybee:

Avatar tested the waters; TRON nailed it spot on. TF was a bit of a miss when they went with 3 different LE versions but still sold out sight unseen due to TRON.

Actually TF didn't sell out...those things sat in warehouses forever and were drastically price slashed to finally move them out. There definitely were pre-release hype sales (me lol) ...but it fizzled quickly due to design issues, code issues, and TF fans hated the fake Optimus voice.

#5387 5 years ago
Quoted from kcZ:

Felt that way with a Stern Star Wars that I played over the weekend. The mystery eject constantly gave me cheap drains.... completely ruined the game for me.

That IS cheap and ruins the game. Happened to me on SW. Poor design and/or build standards. IM’s magnet causing a drain is different. That’s based on the risk you take by hitting Monger straight on. Monger “attacking” back is a feature. A scoop kicking down the drain is a defect.

#5392 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Operators fault, poor setup, not testing his game.

To some extent. Usually games are designed in a way that the scoop will always shoot to the right spot. There shouldn’t be any variation in the design & build...yet a lot of recent games have had STDM issues from scoops or saucers. When many units of the same title have that as a consistent problem, that’s something that wasn’t quite tested and tweaked before mass production

#5415 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Must be AC/DC if you count all the different LEs, surely.

300 BIB LE
200 LTBR LE

#5422 5 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

And Luci. And all the other ones (it seems like).

Luci was a Premium, never an LE. Stern has never released another LE after the initial run of LEs, only Premiums have had art variations like Metallica "Monsters" Prem, TWD "Fish Tank" Prem, Spider-Man "Premium Vault".

#5428 5 years ago
Quoted from pinzone:

Is it just me ,,or does the Munster theme song playing throughout get old and annoying? So what to buy ,but theme song gets old fast.Would like to hear from other old school Munster fan's, for I am a big one.

Every pinball machine has a "main theme" loop, that then changes to different music for different modes. This is no different and I find it so strange that this gets brought up every time a game with iconic music comes out. It's just like any other pinball machine, except music that matches the theme...which is GOOD. If a Munsters game DIDN'T have this music, I'd never consider buying it. If you're a big Munsters fan, I can't imagine you'd find the music anything but perfect.

#5518 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Meh on colored GI.

Lyman created pure art with Met Prem/LE’s color GI FX. No one else has been able to touch it.

#5526 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Have you seen MBRLE yet? It's incredible what they did with the light show. Lyman's code on steroids.

Yes, I hated it and cancelled my order. It’s just color bomb blasting & is a great example of less is more...none of the subtlety and nuance Lyman put into Met. I was gonna get MBRLE & sell my original, but after playing & hating the clown puke color show, I decided to keep my original.

#5530 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Wow, opposite for me, I think it's very well done. Maybe I haven't played a really great original example, but the one I just played in Banning wasn't nearly as fun or engaging as the remake, imo. So, you think Munsters isn't color bomb blasting? Seems like it to me, although that isn't really a bad thing. For instance, I love BM66.

No, Munsters only has white and green. Tastefully done. MBR is overkill. It dilutes the games natural color scheme and color coding in a full wash of color non-stop. Now, to the game’s credit, you can change it back to the standard light show - but I have that already, so I just wanted to stick to what I had. Plus after being used to how an original feels, I really didn’t like how the remake felt to play in comparison. Scoop was shooting STDM, too...never happens on the original.

For the record I have a MMrLE, so I’m not anti-remake at all. If I didn’t have a MB already, I’m sure I’d be happy with a MBr.

#5535 5 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

He owns a original...what'd you expect .

Again - I have an MMr.

Again - I pre-ordered MBrLE and was going to sell my original.

Please absorb the facts before slinging insults.

#5536 5 years ago
Quoted from dts:

Ah, ok. I love MET, but that is pretty over the top as well with color.

It's not over the top at all. The color has meaning and adds a vibe to the mode that it becomes active in. Fade to Black fades to black (well, blue). Fuel looks more firey. Enter Sandman gets all spooky looking, etc. MBR is just a non-stop wash of color...it just lacks focus and seems random.

Quoted from dts:

Oh well, I must not have been having that fun I thought I had! Reading these forums reminds me of how miserable I need to be. I'll get on it!

Literally didn't say anything about this.

#5652 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I believe you can turn the color changing GI to “original style” non color GI in settings on MBR LE

Yes, I know that....but then it just turns it into the game I already have. So, decided to just stick with that.

#5677 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It is a player's machine that's all flow and fast action. The diverters are well-used and add a lot to the frenetic pace in certain modes. It was under-rated for a long time (and expensive to restore because no one had plastics), but once supply opened up and more people got some quality time with it, people came around.

Also it’s based on a horrible movie no one likes....and the rightwingers hate Alex Baldwin. The excellent gameplay wasn’t enough to jack the price up. Aurich’s alt translite made the game more palatable for the Baldwin haters....I feel like it got way more expensive after that.

#5682 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

eems the code on Munsters is trying to copy Monster Bash? Haven’t spent much time on MB, but isn’t the first mini wizard easy and second hard? Also no ball save?

Monsters Bash (easier wizard mode) is achieved by just playing all the modes and collecting the monsters. Monsters of Rock is achieved by completing all the modes (collecting the instruments). Not sure if Munsters has completion goals for the modes....so they seem different in that respect.

1 week later
#6247 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

My problem is I keep comparing Munsters to Borg's masterpiece- X-MEN Magneto LE.

ROTFL WHAAAAT!?!?

I’m dying, this is some next level trolling or something....

Great Borg games: Metallica, Tron, Iron Man, many would say TWD. F*cking X-Men!?!? I mean it’s not as bad as GB, but that’s some bottom of the barrel action as far as Sterns go. I’m dying at the thought of someone willingly playing that game still & listening to Shittybeast’s horrible voice.

#6274 5 years ago

I would say X-Men LE falls about here in recent Stern Borg games....
TWD
MET
TRON
IM
XMEN
KISS
GOTG
AS

Dang, I already forgot about GOTG...yeah, that might be worse than X-Men lol...but, it doesn't have a horrible toy that if not mounted an exact certain way to the millimeter totally ruins the game. I'd put Avatar way up...after IM. It's essentially the same type of game style as Tron and IM. One ramp drops it down a bit, but it's very fun and the rules are a bit better than IM, actually.

#6275 5 years ago
Quoted from wfumed2:

I’m dissapointed about the Lily bar target

Did anyone complain about the bar target on Met Prem/LE? I rather like it...I find the Fuel "bar" satisfying to hit. Many games with individual target banks are coded so hits to any of them do the same thing, so I don't think it's really a big deal.

#6277 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

which ones are? I tried to think of one and couldn't. On MET there are lots of other things to hit also though.

I'm pretty sure games like Batman and Iron Man, you don't have to hit the exact target to light the exact insert letter...you can hit a target to the side of the one you "should" hit and it'll count it...but I think games that do this then require more precise hits when you have to do it again later.

#6282 5 years ago

That's a good point. I had the Wolverine captive ball mod installed since day 1 so I never played my machine with the oversized behemoth in it. Still, spend $100-$150 and you're good.

It's still a shot that's too close to the flippers that gives you an instant multiball. Bad toy + bad rules = something I'm not spending another $100 on lol

#6720 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I will never understand why people are incabale of acknowledging a game is good,

From the guy who rated Metallica a 1 & plenty of other excellent games 3 or lower. You absolute hypocrite.

#6730 5 years ago
Quoted from britrex1:

Looking at how you've rated machines your opinion means absolutely nothing

Since Hilton hates great games and loves shitty games, that doesn’t bode well for Munsters. If he likes it, it probably means it’s terrible. Sorry Stern, you’ve got the wrong shill on this game!!!!

#6840 5 years ago

I’m not sure what the point of comparing two totally different games is supposed to accomplish.

Code + playfield must work in tandem to create a great game. It can be simple
or deep...those terms in a vacuum don’t mean anything. Iron Man & Tron are super simple but extremely fun and addictive. The playfield/theme/rules all work together. TSPP, LOTR are very deep but also work due to the design/theme integration/rules. I haven’t played Munsters yet, so I can’t say if its simplicity is IM/Tron fun or a bust...but I feel like a lot of people are critiquing based on terms without context & without playing to see if it all works in a cohesive & fun way.

#6841 5 years ago
Quoted from Lamprey:

I don't have a dog in this race, but I'm curious why you think the POTC theme only appeals to a niche group?
POTC is a pretty huge intellectual property in it's own right. I understand if it doesn't resonate with you on a personal level. But, it seems like it would have as broad of an appeal as any theme out there

That was the case when Stern released POTC along with the 2nd movie. It was a phenomenon and people loved Depp’s character. The movies now are a joke and people have more negative feelings about them (and Depp) than positive.

#7007 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Is the Paul Lynde impersonator the alien from American Dad?

Seth MacFarlane plays Roger on American Dad.

#7217 5 years ago
Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

Oh, and for those who haven't played the game that much or haven't bothered with the Zap button/feature you need to start using it, It is addictive. The way it works is each time you hit one of the four standup targets in front of the ramps the Zap button will flash to collect a Zap. When you load 5 Zaps you are set up to receive Zap jackpots on certain shots, read Dwight's game rules, or Tilt Forum also has a good description as well.
When you score a jackpot that is qualified for a Zap jackpot it scores higher, plus the user interface screen has a cool lightening bolt graphic and audio as well. Getting Zapped is a good thing and adds to the risk/reward part of the game when you have to hit that zap button during multiball play.

Using a lockdown bar button for weird scoring shit is my least favorite trend in pinball ever. It's always convoluted and confusing, and most people who walk up to a game think it's the start button.

#7221 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Seriously. Please stop it.
Something like ACDC? Fine.
Something like Pirates? Not fine.
Most the shit in between? Also sucks.

The only thing I use it for in AC/DC (besides firing the cannon) is to add-a-ball in multiball...or I just slap it till it runs out when I'm draining my 3rd ball.

Hobbit I use it to pick the skill shot I want, or slap it when it's purple for points.

#7374 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Lol Every single Bally Williams game has less code than Munsters

What does that even mean? “Less code”? I swear, people don’t even know what they’re talking about when it comes to code anymore.

Code = gameplay design. Gameplay is either great or not. Simplicity or depth is irrelevant. Either one on their own don’t make a game fun. Great coding = great game/rules design that works well with physical design & theme. Bally/Williams games are pinball perfection. Always have been. It’s odd to see people who know these games and what they accomplished are now acting like they’re shit. They are the standard all new games have to live up to. There’s no such thing as “less” or “more” code.

#7389 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm serious when I say in its current state it's VERY similar to the condition Batman'66 shipped in. Almost 1 to 1 comparison on what's there right now

Batman was shipped as a prototype that Lyman had barely had any time to work on.

Munsters is exactly the game Dwight wants it to be.

Totally different situations.

#7511 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

Somewhere, someplace, buried in all this Munsters and pillow discussion, someone claimed that their LE was recently shipped with a lock bar and side rails that had black finishes that were noticeably mismatched in finish texture and/or sheen.

Yeah, Lockbar is crinkle/matte & rails are gloss black. Once again Stern proves they really don’t know how to make luxury games...they just know how to charge you for it!!!

#7603 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Everything is a B or B+ anyway

Right? 3 hour review to get to another B...lol

#7643 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Welcome back (and glad you like Munsters). I just unboxed mine a couple days ago...game shoots nice/smooth, but I'm still trying to "warm up" to the rule set. Seems shallow, yet confusing (not a great combo). Speaking of combos, wish there were more of them in Munsters (but maybe I just don't have enough time on it).

When’s the party!?

#7688 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Unfortunately, it's difficult to make a game that works on location AND the home.

Pretty much every 90's game figured it out.

Quoted from Puffdanny:

It's just different rules that are more score focused like a ww or f14 and not mode based like x-men.

You can be mode based & score based simultaneously. It's just logical...do well/progress through modes, good scores will follow. When games make you jump through all sorts of weird hoops to get scores instead of rewarding you with intuitive gameplay, it's an instant turn off for some. Dwight's rule theories are extremely polarizing, that's been very clear since GOT. You can explain them all you want, but when you're playing pinball you either "feel the fun" or don't.

Quoted from bigd1979:

its about lining everything up for a huge payoff basically...which is super hard to do . You have stacking of superjackpots,multipliers. Zaps, boosted characters and stacking characters together to increase everything.

These types of slot machine/Rainman tournament player rules that have nothing to do with the theme instantly make a player like me tune out.

#7691 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I don't think munsters is over complicated by any means... not like sw or got but kinda like gb in a way. Its pretty easy to figure out after a bit of play. It won't be for everyone(what pin is) but i like what's there overall and think many will like it once they understand it.

Here's the thing, anyone can walk up to lets say LOTR, a "complex deep game"...and generally understand the basics....and then as they play, they naturally learn more and more and more, as it's based on what they hit and what happens. Action/reaction. You're ONLY going to know what the button & all the weird scoring stuff is if someone explains it to you....and then, even if you understand it...is it fun? Subjective, of course...but those type of rules don't bring me into the game or the theme. It's very specific "score nerd" stuff.

#7694 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Meh. TOTAN, CC, TOM are all highly rated games (that I've owned) that got boring fast.

I said "Pretty much" ...but what those games lack in depth, the make up for in overall experience - great mechs, cool shots, clear objectives, satisfying use of theme. I'd gladly play any of those 3 games over GOT, GB, or SW.

#7695 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Mine arrived on 2/21 and I've already decided to sell it to an operator (who already has 3 on route). First time I've moved a game after having it only one week. Just don't have the patience for half-baked rules/software.

So I guess the West Coast party is off? lol

#7697 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The game is in Florida, and it doesn't fit in my luggage

I was under the impression that you were ordering multiples lol

#7707 5 years ago

I'm not saying I disagree, but counterpoint to this The Simpsons. That's one of the most complex rulesets ever, yet I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, really aside from basic modes, multi balls and hurry ups (because they're so incessant). Lots to have to read up on.

TSPP is a perfect example of "depth" that a normal person can figure out, and many of the games rules are organic to the design.

For example, if you start "Homer's Day"...he says "time to go to work"...you hit the power plant bumpers (where he works). Then he says "Time for Moe's". The ramp has the Moe's sign on it. Shoot it. Then he says "I wanna watch TV". Shoot the garage to "go home", then shoot the TV.

TSPP in a nutshell:
-Shoot TV to start modes. Shoot right orbit to relight TV. Start another mode if you want, stack as many as you want.
-Shoot 3 balls on the couch to start Multiball. Can be stacked.
-Shoot balls into the Itchy & Scratchy Scoop to start I&S Multiball. Can be stacked.
-Comic Book Guy target starts hurry ups.
-Otto shot lights 2x multipliers

It's actually pretty easy to understand...progress through all the modes and collect all the things! All the modes get you to Alien Invasion. All I&S Multis get you to Scratchy's Revenge. All Comic Book Guy hurry ups get you Secret Stash, etc.

#7709 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A great example of theme integration where hallmarks of the show are part of the journey (thought I still detest "D'oh" mode).

I love D'oh Frenzy...and it's a really funny use of the Homer head toy...which is really just the head ripped off of a Homer doll, but it's really funny that he flashes & reacts to every "D'oh". Is the Herman toy choreographed with his tantrum voice-over at all?

#7719 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

except you gloss over that the majority of time it's telling you to shoot things you have zero clue what it's referring to. Most of the character shots are completely unrecognizable to players and the shots on the left they probably have difficulty even knowing what's there, let alone which is which.

Many of the callouts are "Shoot the left loop" "Shoot the right ramp". They're literally telling you what to shoot. As for the character based stuff...it's very obvious if you just look at the playfield...even if you don't know the power plant is where Homer works, when you need to shoot that shot, it's flashing! In the Willy's Woes mode, you have to shoot the bullies - the 3 standups/inserts to the left of the ramp....even if you don't know those characters, the inserts are blinking. TSPP is very very informative with its visuals, audio & lighting cues.

#7728 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Bowen himself said it elegantly back when collecting the rules for the game for the rulesheet:
"The Simpsons Pinball Party is one of the most fun, yet most complicated,
games ever made. Playing it to have a good time doesn't require too much
effort, since there should always be something to do. Playing it
strategically takes more effort than almost every other modern pin, but it
sure is worth it."

I think that says it all and shows two different types of pinball players. I play for fun, not strategy. As a tournament guy, Bowen is looking for strategy, not fun. I prefer fun.

#7792 5 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

I will only have / can only fit 4 in collection.
Want 4 fairly different games in PF design, shots and play

Sounds like you need to start looking at 90’s games...not NIB Sterns.

#7806 5 years ago

Played Munsters LE today, left with a good impression. It’s definitely a fun location game - you can go up to it with little knowledge & just have fun and get a bunch of things going. Even tho I don’t like lockbar button rules, you can relatively ignore it and still have fun. Great lighting FX, great shaker integration, and really liked the lower playfield. Multiball down there is really cool. I have to say, despite my feeling about Stern QC & testing, the game “feels” really good. Shots felt good, flippers felt good, ramps and toys felt good. This is definitely the first Stern Spike game to leave me with this impression. I’ll definitely keep my eyes open for a used Premium down the road.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Findlay, OH
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.