(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #550 Munsters Premium and LE cabinet art Posted by pinsanity (5 years ago)

Post #8004 0.96 Code change summary Posted by PanzerFreak (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1226 5 years ago

What's wrong with the theme? Classic monsters, campy old TV show charm, hot rods, and humor. I'm not exactly a fan of the tv show but that doesn't matter. It just sounds like a fun mix of things - kind of like Monster Bash / Batman 66 mashup. I am more excited about this game than some old arena rock band or random Marvel superhero theme.

#1242 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Just so long as you don't mean Iron Maiden as an old arena rock band... They're a heavy metal band.... And Iron Maiden is not a band pin, its a monster themed pin. As its themed about Eddie their mascot created by the talented artist Derek Riggs.
But, yes... I think people who don't like the Munsters still should be able to enjoy the pin...
Just hope it shoots great... If its a great shooting pin, I'll definitely have to buy it.

Iron Maiden is not a band pin? What the junk are you smoking? Iron Maiden is a band. Heavy metal band is still a band. They fly around on a jumbo jet and play in arenas. They have been around for decades. Stern made more than a few pins of bands like this and they all have a monster/devil/creature thing going on. I get why. Top selling pins are band themes so easy money. I just bet Stern could of sold a lot more Iron Maiden pins if they used a different theme for that layout.

#1255 5 years ago

Yeeah, ok. Guess I already got a monster theme pin with Metallica. Be nice if Munsters go heavy on the 60's stuff and car culture. All that would go so great together. Is this going to be regular release or like BM66 and no pro?

1 month later
#2016 5 years ago

Amazing! Hard to see detail but looks awesome. Can't wait to see more!

1 month later
#3153 5 years ago
Quoted from Rum-Z:

I'm interested in a premium, but I'm not a fan of black and white. I grew up with a black and white television, and I got news for you... it f*cking sucked. LOL, I'm never going back.

Same here. I want great art with vibrant color and non of that low-res photoshop crap. A B&W limited run premium/LE might make be cool but I think they would loose sells if it was the premium or LE.

1 week later
#4144 5 years ago

Awesome release! Looks like a lot of fun. All models look pretty good but still not sure about the B&W premium. Cool Stern is trying something different to give each model a unique look. Pro looks pretty solid but the LE really looks nice. No way I am paying that kind of money, though. I don't care one bit about the whole limited scheme.

#4722 5 years ago

So what if the layout is similar to another game? There is only so much you can do with the limited space and 2 flippers. Every game feels different to me. If it plays good then that is all that matters. I would like to see a third flipper, though.

#4791 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Good God I hate when people start saying this game is the same as that game, etc, etc. Here's one for you: this game uses steel balls and has four legs and a plunger. Oh my god the humanity.
This game is a breath of fresh air in many ways and a few negative Nancy's have to drag us down.

Heard they copied the flipper thing, too. Two flippers down at the bottom - pfff - how original.

#4993 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinzap:

Why stop at 100 extra? Why not 200? Why not just leave sales open for an indefinite period until everyone gets one that wants one. The money could potentially be in the multiple millions. Oh wait... the math on this is screwed up because the “profit margin” is not the total of sales... oh yeah, and another reason is that little word called limited.

This is so F#%d up I don’t even know what else to say.

Seriously? You know the whole LE is a cash grab. LE buyers line up each and every time with no memory of past woes. Why not bump the number up if demand is hot? How is that a f-ed up thing? Stern is in the business to sell pins. I would bump it up to 1000 and watch them fly out the door.

#5030 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

You understand that Stern told PROSPECTIVE buyers that the LEs would be limited to 500 right? Does it not strike you as unethical to then increase this number AFTER the vast majority of those 500 purchases have been made?!
Or perhaps you feel that it's okay for Stern to disregard whatever they've previously promised, whenever they wish, in order to sell games because that's what they're in business for!?

Unethical? I don't recall Stern ever making any hard "promises" to anyone. Their website might say 500 but where in writing are you "promised" 500? It's called the limited edition and it is still limited whether 500, 600, or 1000. If you are buying it solely on the reason there will be only 500 and not 501, then maybe you should rethink your purchase.

Quoted from cpr9999:

Then watch their business model tank on the next LE pinball where everyone says let’s wait till we play. And if that LE pinball is a flop, then very low sales! Ouch!
Right now they can sell sight unseen because it is a “limited edition”. Not LE, wait we will add more if popular.

LOL - you think future LE sales are going to drop!? You do realize that Stern has played plenty of games in the past with customers (remember having to apply for the honor to buy a massively overpriced BM66?), raised prices dramatically, and suffered numerous qc issues and still sells games out in short order. Munsters LE sold out in what - 5 minutes? Past LE's have sold out sight unseen simply based on theme. Customers are demanding more, not less.

#5077 5 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

You can apply that logic to any added features they put in writing. Are they not obligated to include upgraded speakers/side art blades or are those just promises they can break also?

Stern can do whatever they want. They can change the art, change the game code, remove features, add features, or change prices. They are not obligated to anything. If you choose to preorder based on what someone said, some production number, or what the internet says then you are taking a risk. You can call it unethical, bad business, or whatever. That's just reality. Wait to see exactly what they are selling, touch it, play it, and then decide if that pin is worth the asking price. Simple as that.

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

How about the game features matrix stating 500?! How about the plaque on the featured LE game stating 500?!
AND how about Zach Sharpe clearly telling prospective customers at CES, in the DeadFlip videos, that there will only be 500 LE's made?!!!
Never mind that a limit of 500 was also conveyed to all distributors and passed on to prospective customers contemplating dealer availabilities and cost options.

I personally didn't buy an LE based on the stated 500 limit and the exact number is irrelevant to my point which is ANY increase in production beyond the amount told to prospective buyers before the game was sold out (or nearly so) is unethical. It's the principle of the matter - you don't promise your customers one thing and then just choose to ignore it in order to make more $$$.

A plaque, flyer, or what someone that works for Stern is not law. Things change. Stern has been promising code updates for games for years. How is that working for you? I couldn't care less for those that buy LE's and try to flip them for profit. I say Stern should sell 1000 if there is enough demand. Any LE buyer is welcomed to cancel their order and get their deposit back. If plaques are that important to you, buy a pro instead and get your own plaque made for a few bucks.

#5231 5 years ago

The nerve of Stern making pins people want and making money.

#5261 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Personally, I think it’s great. We need a lot more simple in these games to make them appeal to everyone. I hope Stern never starts coding with the tournament player in mind... would be a huge mistake IMO.

Agreed. I think some of the fun gets lost when you have such complex rules. I also find it very irritating when there are modes that you will never see unless you are one of the top 10 players in the world. These complex rules are often full of bugs and loopholes where code never seems complete. Focus on simpler rules, theme integration, good animations, and extra callouts. That's what made the B/W pins so great.

#5316 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's literally the reason Stern can stay in business. Instant sales at an inflated price up front from wealthy pin maniacs who've never played it. You cannot get those sales without an LE concept. Without LE, people can just wait. When people wait, nothing is on the line. If nothing's on the line, you're wasting money. Those first sales are out of the way & most likely cover all production costs...so all Pro and Prem sales after that are pure profit. If the game is a bomb and post-LE sales aren't great - they're onto the next game & still selling the other games that are in production. Love it or hate it, it's precisely why we still have Stern Pinball.

It does make sense. One version would probably be something between a pro and premium and priced like a premium. You would no longer have the option to get a solid pro at cheapest nib price. You would no longer have the full features of premium/LE. If there is such a demand for LE's, Stern should offer more of them. Each could have different art packages and perhaps more Super LE's. You could even sell alternative translites and speaker panels on the side so pro/premium buyers could customize their games.

#5484 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Another issue I noticed today while playing the pro at Game Exchange. I was having a good game and then all of a sudden the whole machine completely blacked out? Then booted itself back up. Node board problem? I don't think I'll be buying these new Spike system games till they figure these node Boards out!

Could be power issue at the location. Maybe too many pins connected to one circuit. Heard other Spike pins doing that so who knows. Never seen a SAM pin do that including the two I owned and played 1000's of times.

#5595 5 years ago

Not sure why everyone looks for what is missing in every new Stern. Not every game is going to have the exact same ingredients and that would get boring. There is already a huge amount of complaints of fan layouts that look similar to other games. Every game has limitations due to cost. I see a lot on the pro including magnet, bash toys, spinner, pop up Spot thing, full light show, metal ramps, and more. For todays standards, that's not bad. Looks like the fancy lower playfield ate up all the premium costs. I do agree that huge, impossible to miss, targets is not appealing but think Stern is shooting for a simpler game this time. Think Monster Bash. Hopefully, the code will be perfected and not just called "finished" after a few basic updates. I think that is where Stern falls short most of the time regardless of layout, theme, art, etc. Some games get polished and go from mediocre to great. Some just get to mediocre and called done. Others seem to be completely forgotten. There doesn't seem to be any standards when it comes to code.

#5633 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, and World Poker Tour cost like $3500 NEW with all those drop banks. Munsters is more than twice as much money for the Premium with two giant monobars and no drops at all.

So would you rather have WPT or Munsters? I have not played either but Munsters looks more fun to me. It would be nice to have loaded features like a TZ with great theme, art, and code for $3500 but that's not a reality for today. Even JJP had to cut features in POTC by going to simple spinning disk and that is $9500! I don't get how prices have shot up so much in the last 5 years or so but they have. Stern still has the cheapest nib even though it is pushing $6000.

#5674 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Stern was rescued & purchased by a group of investors (some of the same guys that saved Harley Davidson )
If they see another company (JJP) selling the same product at 2x the price, they are not going to let Stern leave money on the table.
All you pinheads rush out and buy each new release, without even playing it.
Stern would be fools to not keep jacking up the price every few months; no one is pushing back.

Cannot argue with that. Stern keeps raising their prices and people keep throwing money at them with every new exciting title. Even before there is any pics of a game, people are trying to put deposits down. Amazing. That's not how I roll but that makes no difference. I'm not upset with Stern at all. That's the market talking. Same with the LE's. Market is demanding more. Hope Stern sells a record number of Munster pins and the next pin is even better. Maybe in a few years the market will be flooded with great Stern pins and I can get one cheap! lol

1 week later
#6359 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Well stated Squizz! Don’t let them beat you down. Carguments are simple similarities to pinball that everyone understands. Shallow code is for lazy or rushed programmers in 2019. With the 70 plus episodes available to Stern there is no reason not to have similar depth as done by Lyman in Batman. Can you imagine what Batman would be like if it was a spell this character name and area for each of the villains, with video not really associated with the game play?
I love the Munsters and watched everyone as a kid when it came out in the 60s. Could have been so much better if Lyman had done his code/depth magic with such a great theme. If people can’t understand that, they’re living in denial.
If we were paying last century prices for games, then shallow code is fine like they did then. But since we are paying outrageous prices in this century, shallow gameplay is inexcusable! Valued added is of major importance. If not, charge me $3,500 and I won’t complain, but $9,000.00??? Come on!

Sorry, but that's just a dumb argument. People are paying outrageous prices for old, beat B/W games with shallow code. They are so in demand, CGC is making good money selling remakes of games with shallow code like AFM and MB. Stern had zero problems moving every single Beatles at a fat premium price. Obviously the market is not driven by so called deep games. Look at how slow JJP is getting out their deep games and how much do they cost? Games are fun not because of the coil count or number of lines of code. Games are fun because of how everything is designed as a whole. Not everyone wants a game that needs a 200 page instruction book to play and modes you will never see. Lyman is not going to work on every single game and Stern is not selling a nib for $3500. That's just ridiculous. It's obvious Stern designed Munsters to be an easier game with easier goals a lot like MB. Calling that inexcusable is even more ridiculous.

#6405 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

What your saying is dumber than dumb and makes little to no sense. Re-read what I said. You’re misquoting it Gary. Lol

Gary? Uh, ok. How did I misquote you when I just quoted your entire post? You said "shallow code is for lazy or rushed programmers in 2019" and then "shallow gameplay is inexcusable". Is that a misquote? If I am Gary Stern than yeah, I would be insulted by that. I don't have to run a pinball company to know that the ultimate way to know whether a pin is designed well is sales. I don't plan on buying one but sounds like it is selling extremely well.

#6742 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Has anyone else noticed the weird arc shading 2/3 of the screen in a lot of the clips? It's mostly visible in the end of game clips (but not on all of them), but it's in some of the clips in the game, too. I thought maybe it was supposed to be simulated TV glare, but given that it's on clips without the TV in the gameplay part, I don't think that's it. It's pretty obvious and once you see it, you can't unsee it. The area to the left of it is lighter with less contrast in both pictures (and everywhere it appears on clips). Here's two examples...
[quoted image][quoted image]
If you're having trouble seeing it, here's where to look (it's in the same location in all clips it appears in, which makes me think it's a semi-transparent graphic element that was mistakenly left on):
[quoted image]

Even if it was simulated tv glare it doesn't look right. It has to be done on purpose but slight chance display issue. Do all games look like that?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jawjaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming?tu=jawjaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.