(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8,181 posts
  • 659 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by guss
  • Topic is favorited by 110 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 950 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #550 Munsters Premium and LE cabinet art Posted by pinsanity (1 year ago)

Post #8004 0.96 Code change summary Posted by PanzerFreak (9 months ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider amused_to_death.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2598 11 months ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

Now the problem, (for me at least) a very colorful premium cabinet...or the black and white LE...

B&W for me (if real). I grew up watching the show in the '60s in B&W. There's no reason for me to start colorizing The Munsters now.

The artwork I've seen looks very nice, but I wish Stern would have gone with something that looks more like it's from the '60s. I've got nothing against Christopher Franchi, his work is amazing, but his style is almost approaching photorealism, and I don't like that Stern is basically Photoshopping individual images all over the playfield (Batman). I'd much rather see something that looks like one large coherent piece of art, and more in a hand-drawn comic style like I've seen from Jeff Zornow (Alice Cooper) or Greg Freres (Whoa Nellie).

These old jigsaw puzzles from Whitman have some great looking '60s artwork on them:

Munsters Puzzles.jpg

I'm all in on this one no matter what, though!

3 weeks later
#4336 11 months ago

Oh boy, which to choose?! Overall art package, I think the Premium wins, and I probably would have just gone for it... but... then I saw that it’s still got a full-color LCD. I can’t say that I like the looks of the B&W everywhere else, but not on the display. Really, I’m not sure that I like the color on the LCD at all. Not when it keeps transitioning to B&W show scenes. I guess this has me leaning more towards the LE, which is where I was at in the first place, except that I was hoping the LE was going to end up being the B&W one based on the leaked cabinet art. LOL! Ugh! Decisions!

While I wrestle with my choice, I’m newly relocated to Orlando/Disney, anyone want to recommend a good dealer/distributor that might not be too far away?

#4358 11 months ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

...I don’t think that I will digest what I had in "my Mind with the leaked pic" vs. Reality....

For me, I think I'm going to drop from LE, what I thought might be B&W, to the Premium. Having watched the show while it originally aired in the '60s, the Premium is how I remember the Munsters.

Besides the B&W vs color issue, I'm not sure that I'm sold on the LE's translite art. Don't get me wrong, I love the Munsters coach as much as anyone, but something about that pic just screams Beverly Hillbillies to me. And perhaps a bit too cartoony compared to the rest of Chris Franchi's brilliant artwork?

I've had the hots for Lily since Moses left her to go find a burning bush, so seeing her front and center on the Premium's translite is definitely a plus. What's cookin', Lily?

I originally thought the casket cabinet was a great idea, but after seeing the added color, spiderwebs, and gold legs mixed with black trim everywhere else? Nope.

Yup! I'm done thinking about this one! Premium it is! Toss in the side art blades, add a few decorative cobwebs and some dust, ala Disney's Haunted Mansion, and I've got myself a keeper!

A special added bonus for the OCD in me is that I can watch this one get beat to hell and I won't mind it so much. The Munsters' home was a complete disaster. Dimples be damned! Heck, I may even intentionally add cracks to Grandpa's window! LOL!

#4521 11 months ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

I was looking at Grandpa's Laboratory and the words "Lite Machine" used twice on the lower playfield are really bothering me. Is this normal?

What it means is that Grandpa intends to get LIT! Why in the hell else do you think he spends so much time down in the dungeon?

#4522 11 months ago
Quoted from cantbfrank:

I think Stern should try a pin that you can customize your own build. Playfield choices, transliterates choices, side art, shaker, speaker options Etc.

Yes, absolutely, they should! Especially in today's point-and-click internet age of online ordering. People have essentially done the same when ordering cars going back many, many decades. You've always been able to buy an off-the-lot car if you're in a hurry and see what you want or close to it, but you've always been able to place a custom factory order for exactly what you want, too. Interestingly, you were able to order a hell of a lot more things in the past. These days they try to limit you to a few packages. With a pinball machine, there wouldn't be very many things to choose from, so it should be fairly easy to implement.

All that said, even if I could choose each item individually, I'd probably still just go B&W Premium w/side art blades on this one. I can't really think of any one item I'd want to change on it.

#4525 11 months ago

I've had these Tweeterhead Munsters statues for a number of years now. Amazing dead-on sculpts by Trevor Grove, paint design by David Fisher, and Grandpa's Playghoul cover design by Olivia De Berardinis.

Tweeterhead Munsters.jpg

Does anyone have any idea how Stern's art ended up with the exact same poses in the exact same sequence? And note that Spot and the TV with Zombo and the cat are also in the same positions. Weird, huh?

Munsters-Pro-Translite.jpg

Having watched the show countless times, the one pose that really stands out to me is Marilyn's. I don't recall seeing her standing around holding Spot's collar with her back arched in this same way and while wearing this same colored dress on what was a B&W TV show. We've got a matching Playgoul cover here, too.

Who was first with this? Was Chris Franchi involved with the Tweeterhead project with Trevor Grove? Did Grove copy some earlier art from Franchi? Is there some sort of full-color publicity still or character study that NBC Universal Television was forcing both artists to work off of independently? And what about the Playgoul cover? I have no clue here.

Anyway, whatever the story is, if you're looking for topper ideas, you might want to head on over to eBay and grab a set of these statues. I own the B&W set, myself. It's stunning in person!

#4603 11 months ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The same copycat art was present in Batman too... I’d say it’s just franchise style to redraw exisiting stuff

For the OCD, like me, there are also consequences when you're just copying your own artwork by flipping images around in reverse.

Right-handed

Watch as Herman and Lily go from being right-handed to left, and Grandpa and Eddie from left-handed to right.

Left-handed

With the Premium, you've got Herman pointing with his wrong finger/hand on both the front and side of the cabinet. Lily cooks with her right hand on the translite, but then leads with the candle in her left hand on the side of the cabinet. Lily, Grandpa and Eddie aside, that finger point is Herman's signature move. No one will ever notice he's holding up the wrong arm and therefore pointing with his wrong finger? Oops!

Yes, I have too much time on my hands! Yes, I'm still in on the Premium right now. But I dunno, do I wait and see what kind of problems might present themselves with the lower playfield and possibly switch to the Pro? No, not because of the right vs left thing (no, wait, Thing is Addams Family!), but due to added complexity, possible lower playfield boredom, wear and tear, etc.

Can you point me to the Bat Cave?

#4609 11 months ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

Voila...They are pointing with the other finger. It's the other side of the cabinet. Stern flips the images on 90% of their LE and Premium artwork.

Oh, I know. My issue is just that Herman's finger point/wag is so recognizable. And it's hard to explain away the flip on the front of the cabinet.

#4694 11 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

...the true colorful beauty of the playfield that is exclusively the LE's

I’d be willing to agree if I could custom order my own cabinet and translite(s). The casket came out looking awful, and I don’t care for the LE’s Beverly Hillbillies translite. If I were going full color, my ideal set up would be to have the LE’s playfield and side blades, the Pro’s cabinet, and two color translites I could rotate — the Premium’s (what’s cookin’, Lily?) and the Pro’s (Tweeterhead statue collection). Oh, and I’d need a full-color Herman toy. Who do I talk to at Stern to make all that happen?

#4808 11 months ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I was also hoping for a mini PF where the ball actually transitions from one PF to another ... I guess gravity and access are the reason they don’t.

The very first pinball machine I ever owned was a brand new Gottlieb Haunted House (‘82). In the arcade I managed, in others I visited, and in my own home, that game always had a problem popping the ball back up from the basement. Sometimes it would take 2-3 tries before it made it up. And it would always play the same sound effects regardless of whether it worked or not. It was the little engine that thought it could. “I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!” Other times the pop-up mechanism would just fail all together and need to be repaired.

All that said, yeah, I would love to have seen a three-level Munsters. And with ‘60s or early ‘70s style artwork. But I’ll take what I can get. And this machine looks like a hell of a lot of fun to me!

#4809 11 months ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Caved and purchased the Premium as well as the LE after seeing the videos.

Hmmm. Now there’s an idea! If I end up wanting to go full color, I could purchase an LE and a Pro, both, and swap out the guts.

Do you think anyone would be interested in my casket cabinet but with the single level Pro playfield? That would be one way to get the art I wanted.

I’d have a problem with the side art blades, though, wouldn’t I? Oh, and the casket Pro would end up having a 2nd unneeded set of flippers.

Oh, well.

“Dammit, Jim, I’m a doctor, not a pinball cabinet maker!”

#4810 11 months ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

I don’t know if that’s possible to personalize the plates...

Am I the only one who wishes Stern would put the plates somewhere else? They make the speaker and LCD display area look off-balanced and are quite distracting if you’re OCD about that sort of thing. Yeah, I know what table it is, thank you very much.

Maybe put it down somewhere with the instructions, cost to play, etc. Or on the lower cabinet front. I guess I really don’t see the need at all. Serial numbers for the LEs are one thing, but the plate doesn’t serve any purpose on the Premium or Pro.

I own all sorts of Limited Edition collectibles. Literally none have a number staring at me. On the bottom, on the back, on a certificate, sure.

It just seems like Stern is adding more clutter for the sake of adding more clutter.

#4814 11 months ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Stern should copy what they did for Beatles...it looks great.

Yes, much better!

We ever gonna see anything besides yellow on those insert cards? Man, Stern must have got a hell of a deal on yellow paper from Staples! LOL!

#5009 10 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

666 is the closest theme-sensible number, and the plates would be more boss with xxx of 666 on every one. There's no way they're doing 1313 LEs.

Except that 666 is associated with the devil. There is nothing inherently evil about the Munster family. The show was basically Leave It to Beaver crossed with Universal's classic monsters of the '30s and '40s. 13 is considered to be an unlucky number. It wasn't/isn't considered to be evil, it's just that people really, really liked 12 back in the day. As for making 1,313 LEs, to pay homage to the Munsters' address, yeah, I agree, that was never going to happen.

#5018 10 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

It's pretty simple for Stern, if you plan on making as many LE's as the market demands then don't tell people it will be a certain number from the start.

Stern should copy what Sideshow Collectibles does with their Limited Edition releases. They announce a statue, and start taking pre-orders, but they do not publish the Edition Size until later on. Once they've got a feel for how many orders they're getting, they publish the Edition Size. There are some buyers who wait to see what the Edition Size ends up being, but most jump right in, because they know they can cancel their order before the statue ships. There are some releases that do require a non-refundable deposit, so if Edition Size is something that affects decision, you can hold off until you see how many are going to be made, and you're usually still able to get on the list.

#5036 10 months ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

For me, I think I'm going to drop from LE, what I thought might be B&W, to the Premium. Having watched the show while it originally aired in the '60s, the Premium is how I remember the Munsters.

Yup! I'm done thinking about this one! Premium it is!

And... I just put my deposit down on an LE!

Chris Franchi talked me into it by saying he was going with an LE. It's all his fault!

#5039 10 months ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

But when you look at the pinball's animations, sometimes the fire comes out of his mouth.
When they use the show's footage it's right, but there selfmade animations are wrong!!

Isn't Stern's computer animated clip the one where Spot looks more like Barney and his head is just bobbing left to right? The clip where the fire is coming out of his mouth looks too good to have been done by the same person. Are you sure it wasn't a clip from the show?

Now I need to go back and watch the Munsters to see if they were ever consistent as to where Spot's flames were coming from.

Mouth vs nose, I'd rather see them lose the Barney bobblehead! LOL!

#5070 10 months ago

Kaneda is doing some backtracking on his latest podcast... so all of the arguing and complaining about additional LEs may end up being for nothing.

#5080 10 months ago
Quoted from benheck:

Which is great for Stern because they can pocket an extra 2 grand just by slapping on a numbered plaque.

You get a bit more than a numbered plaque, right? Mirrored backglass, art blades, upgraded speakers, anti-reflective glass, shaker motor, spider web armor, etc. And Gary Stern's + John Borg's signatures are worth $2K on their own, aren't they?

#5090 10 months ago
Quoted from Maken:

Backglass? Doubtful.

Yeah, I probably should have said translite, but I went with Stern's own copy on that from their matrix sheet.

#5092 10 months ago

From the Munsters Pro Manual, pg. 44:

550-7429-00 TOY, HERMAN, COLORIZED VERSION

Have we seen this anywhere yet? The Herman toys in the prototype Pro, Premium, and LE machines have all been B&W, haven't they? I was thinking I'd have to do a repaint on mine, but perhaps not...

#5186 10 months ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

I would think Stern adding another 100 units could be perceived as devaluing the current purchased LE units by 20%?

LOL. Well, if that's the way it works, you should be able to find someone, right now, who will flip one your way for 15% below MSRP so that he/she can at least recoup 5% on their "investment."

Better to lose $1,450 today instead of $1,800 tomorrow.

#5298 10 months ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I see similarities.

So do I. I'm not sure why it should be surprising to anyone, since the artwork for both machines was done by Christopher Franchi. Had Jeremy Packer or Jeff Zornow worked on The Munsters, it would be a totally different beast.

#5305 10 months ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Just noticed this, sorry if his has popped up before.
Whats with the 2 holes in the playfield ( That I Circled in red )

All three games were prototypes, weren't they? Perhaps the holes will disappear on the production units.

Quoted from Squizz:

Actually looking at the Pro where the lower playfield should be, Uncle Grandpa ,Grass Hopper and Octopus leg just looks like a bad cut and paste Doesn't blend in well.... - Maybe I'm too fussy?

Quoted from jfh:

That’s one thing about the Pro artwork that was a bit jarring to me.

Yup. It may sound crazy, but that "cut-and-paste" line on the Pro played a large part in my ending up with an LE.

#5309 10 months ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Grandpa, the tentacle, and the bug are coming out of a trap door in the floor. That "line" is the edge of the door opening.

Quoted from Squizz:

I can now see what you are saying, and yes that is what it's meant to be, just looks wrong.

The outline around the entire family adds to the illusion that it's a dropped in image. The smoke around Grandpa and the flames around S-P-O-T kind of work together to hide the trap door. I think it's the absolute straightness of that line, from tentacle to potion, that doesn't work for me. If the floorboards were a little more uneven, rougher, and the opening looked more three-dimensional. But, oh well, I'm just going to have to suffer with my LE! LOL!

Speaking of S-P-O-T, do the letters light up anywhere on the Premium and the LE?

#5639 10 months ago
Quoted from Squizz:

The Prems and LE's should've at least have Lily with 4 drops..

Sounds like the ultimate mod. Who's gonna do it?

1 month later
#7532 9 months ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Any pics of these mismatched LE lockdown bar and rails?

It looks like sh*t. I hope my LE doesn’t arrive this way. On the other hand, I think the black trim with gold legs looks like sh*t anyway. I can see myself replacing all of the mismatched black with gold to match the legs (and back box).

#7536 9 months ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

I figure stock black legs would look better with gold bolts and gold leg levelers.

That sounds even better. I think I will do the same.

Quoted from Magicchiz:

Side rails, and lock down bar. These two pieces Have to match!

Absolutely!

Quoted from Magicchiz:

It may take all the LE owners to band together to cause a stick and get Stern to fix this issue.

Well, at least we can draw our complaints from an additional 100 owners!

#7537 9 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I've got to find some quality hotel pillows! Somebody said Costco has some good ones.

Nearly every hotel chain, including luxury brands, get their pillows from Pacific Coast Feather. They’re unbeatable. If you do some Googling, you can find sites that discuss which hotel uses which specific pillow (they have an extensive line).

A secret that hotels use to keep their down pillows fluffier/fuller than normal is to put them inside of undersized protectors/cases — exactly like when a friend ends up looking like a stuffed sausage because he refuses to buy a proper fitting tee-shirt.

#7543 9 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

The stock sales photos show a gloss sheen on the top of the side rails and lock down bar.

LE rail, lockbar, leg

LE web

Looks like flat black with krinkle finish to me. On the web, too.

Quoted from GamerRick:

How could the final product not match? ...if my lockdown bar and side rails don’t match for $9,000.00 they certainly better fix it.

They'll be making mine match, that's for sure!

#7545 9 months ago

I'm perfectly okay with the laugh track. I guess the one issue that really bugs me is the amateurish use of fonts on the LCD display. The control panel artwork and TV show clips are all fine. But the fonts are a travesty. Too many variations, none of which really look like they belong, and all are difficult to read. The Dragula race sequence may actually be the worst, but it all looks like someone was overdue on turning in their work and we ended up with a bunch of awful looking placeholders. Look at The Beatles, in comparison, where you've got nice, big readouts for all of the points and your total score. Even The Munsters' Game Over scores are difficult to see and read. Didn't Franchi oversee this whole project art-wise? You'd think he'd be embarrassed by the fonts.

#7551 9 months ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

The gold legs are bad ass

Gold

Let's not forget the original leaked artwork.

I could go either way on this. Send my back box hinge, side rails, and lockdown bar off to be painted gold, or, like Magicchiz, install black legs with gold bolts.

1 week later
#7832 9 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

I have the translites to get autographed, just have to figure out what color pens to have them signed with

Who are you going to have sign them? Pat and Butch? The design team as well? Sounds like an idea I need to replicate.

#7930 9 months ago

I'd love to see a playfield using an alternate material. Maybe something like synboard, a cellular PVC product that builders are now using in place of wood. Aluminum, perhaps? Or maybe it's time for the steely ball to be reimagined. What if it had a silicone rubber coating on the outside?

I wouldn't mind seeing a complete re-design of cabinets for home use. I don't need to worry about cash boxes and/or trying to break into or rough handle my own machine. I'd love to see something totally modern and sleek that doesn't require a huge box made of wood.

I don't remember the name of the game, but wasn't there a pinball machine back in the '70s or '80s that was a two-player simultaneous double-sided almost flat cocktail table game with legs in the center?

Give me something made of metal. Z-shaped support, maybe, but totally sleek, just enough table depth to hold the mechs above and below, perhaps little or no backbox, with the LCD display closer to or integrated into the playfield.

I'd pay extra for something that looks more like it belongs in my home than a laundromat in NY.

Oh, yeah, Munsters...

1 week later
#8030 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinballdad1961:

Set up our new Munsters Pro tonight and the translite didn’t light up on booting. Opened the backbox and there doesn’t appear to be any lights in there? Is it supposed to be lit?

LEDs are on the PC board. Yes, it should light up.

BBB5A942-4906-41CC-B704-BC84FE42044B (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#8110 8 months ago
Quoted from benheck:

Premium backglases looks miles better than the LE.
Large characters, all doing unique things that match the show instead of sitting on a car and waving.

Agreed. There's also no getting over the fact that the Munster family in their Koach looks remarkably similar to the Beverly Hillbillies in their truck. Who wants a $9K Munsters game that's constantly reminding them of the Beverly Hillbillies?

Stern's Next '60s Game?

#8114 8 months ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Put your glasses on.

I can see just fine. I'm saying that the Munsters hanging off of various parts of their hotrod is not unlike the Clampetts hanging out of their jalopy truck, not that Lily looks anything like Granny. LOL!

Quoted from benheck:

It's also very weird the car is pointed left (bad) and down (also bad)

Franchi copied an existing publicity still of the Munsters family in their Koach.

Munsters Koach (resized).png

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider amused_to_death.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside