(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #550 Munsters Premium and LE cabinet art Posted by pinsanity (5 years ago)

Post #8004 0.96 Code change summary Posted by PanzerFreak (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jackalwere.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#197 5 years ago

I'm all in on Munsters, I think it will be a great theme just like TAF. But frankly I'm surprised they aren't going with something far more current and popular like Stranger Things...now there's a theme that's just begging for a pinball machine and it's one of the hottest properties in Hollywood.

Regardless I'll be picking up Elvira AND Munsters, Stern is going to get a bunch of money from me, damn them!

2 months later
#745 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Reveal i heard yesterday is at Expo in Oct. Probably shipping not long after that.

Yeah it seems like you'd want these on route/in homes by Halloween.

#746 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

So, I don't really have the space or the money for the Munsters. Saving up for a different NIB... But, this thread has me excited regardless, as I'm a huge fan of the original series. In fact this thread got me so excited I bought the dvd box set from amazon. Working my way through the episodes now.I'm almost to the last episode of the original Marilyn.
One thing I'll say about this pin. And I do hope to get one, one day... I think it could look really amazing. And while I said I'm not currently buying old pins. My dream pin is Creature from the Black Lagoon... And I got to tell you all. Think about how amazing a Creature, next to a Munsters, next to a Monster Bash and next to at least one Elvira would be. My brain would just explode at the sheer awesomeness. One day I'll have that lineup... One day...

My lineup has Creature, BSD, MSF, Scared Stiff, and I'll be adding Elvira 3 & Munsters...should be some epic monster noises during parties. Now if they'd only make my dream theme - The Mummy! I'd take the classic Karloff or the Brendan Fraiser versions - not sure I'd want Tom Cruise.

#747 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Borg designing, Dwight on code, Franchi on art, certainly an awesome team!

What is considered Dwight's best coded game? I know he worked with Keith on LotR and TSPP. GoT? GB? T2? STtNG?

#756 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

One dream theme for me. Would be a Hammer Horror Pin. Having Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee on the backglass, with some busty vampire wenches would be awesome. Could also have Barbara Shelly and Caroline Munro on the backglass, and also playfield.
For those who don't know Lee was Dracula, The Mummy, and Frankenstein. That would be the mummy version I would prefer. Love the Hammer horror films. That would be an instant buy. But, I'll admit I think it would be hard to do right. I'd want it to be gothic, scary, and sexy. Hammer films were littered with playboy models as the blokes who ran the company liked to cast from reading those type of magazines.
And man... You really got a collection. I didn't care about BSD(I only played the virtual pin and not the real pin) until I saw a papa tutorial on it. That pin looks amazing, and the animations are really cool. Great modes and the mist multiball might be the coolest multiball ever!!!
One day I'd love to own a creature... But, as I said in other threads. I'm not interested in buying old machines right now. Later when I move to a bigger house I'll start collecting the oldies again. I just want space to work on them(I have no room to work on pins), and also the space to house pins not in use and being repaired.
Just made my way to the start of hte Pat Priest Marilyn Munster run. I'll say I'm actually amazed at how well the show was made. Great sets, great makeup. Yes, sometimes you can see the seams of the applications in the early episodes. And also a lot of special effects and editing tricks. Which, had to really cost a lot of time and money for universal. It was TV and they chose black and white because it was cheaper, but the show clearly had a nice budget for their effects. Yes, you can see the wires. But, those shows were not broadcast in HD, so I bet over the air, with the old tvs you would never see the little details like that.
Just a really fun show. Glad I'm rewatching it.

Thanks, it's mostly a budget collection except for The Hobbit. Munsters will be my first NIB.

I'm really warming up to BSD. I put a Pinsound in it with remastered sounds and the atmosphere is simply outstanding...

3 weeks later
#992 5 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Well, I think there will always be room for traditional pinballs. But, I would be excited to see more integration like an lcd in the playfield.
It could serve as a lower playfield at times. A way to integrate video mode. And it could have other game interactions as well. Could have fire effects or other effects as well.
Also an lcd for the backwall could work too.
And you'd just have to make certain the clear surface that it rests under doesn't scuff or dimple, or crack of course. Otherwise it wouldn't be that expensive of a toy. And I know how stern likes to stay away from the expensive mechs. Which is fine. It gives sterns a unique flavor and a style there own. But, I really think the future of pinball could be some really wild stuff with that level of integration.

Yeah, kind of like the MikeD Mod for Creature but even more interactive. I'd prefer that over a lower playfield, I haven't been impressed with those at all.

1 week later
#1203 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Eddy has been in the game a long time, plenty of time to think about a new layout. Maybe Eddy already has a layout ready to go?

Would love if Eddy was working on a Godzilla pin...the new Godzilla Monster Island coming out next year would be good, but Godzilla vs. King Kong the following year would be phenomenal...

3 weeks later
#1548 5 years ago
Quoted from Stones:

Is it just me, or does it look like Lily is just in her underwear?

it's not just you, I saw that too and thought it was strange. I can't tell if it's underwear or a two piece bathing suit...

1 month later
#2352 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Stern is selling a HELL of a lot more pins this decade than last.
From their perspective, the competition has meant didly-squat.

Totally untrue.

Since JJP arrived, Stern has:

- added LCD screens and hired animation artists
- increased # of coders and made a stronger commitment to update code in games (BM66, WD, AS are all great examples)
- added Franchi, ZombieYeti and Dirty Donnie as artists
- improved quality control
- started contract manufacturing
- hired more designers

Are there other factors at work? Sure. But to say the competition has meant nothing? When Stern had no competition, you had games with DMD only, photoshopped art, and incomplete or long delays in code. Competition is healthy!

1 month later
#3371 5 years ago

If the premium is b&w I'm probably out, as I prefer color and won't pay LE prices. In that case, the only way I'd be in is if the lower playfield is not great, then I'd spring for the pro. I hope it's wrong but TWIP seems to have some pretty solid info sources.

#3471 5 years ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

What about centaur people? Everyone goes nuts for that black and white playfield. It’s one of the most expensive repro playfields on the aftermarket.

Not everyone.

#3662 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I'm 100% out on this pin, nothing they show tomorrow will make me buy it, so I have zero emotional stake here. But I hope the black and white playfield part is true, and that it looks great, because it sounds like something that could be fun. If it's just the normal playfield art, but desaturated in Photoshop, that sounds pretty lame, I can't argue with that. But if it's actually designed for black and white, with some thought put into it? Why not?
Kinda surprised at how negative the reactions are already to something nobody has seen. The hype is there for the gameplay, and you haven't seen that either, so why the leap to negative?

My reaction was only in the context as to whether I'd buy one or not *if* the Premium is B&W. I love playing any kind of pinball, I love the theme, and I can still play it on location and have fun doing so. But I don't have to buy one to sit in my home if I don't like the art package. Right now it's all just speculation, so I'm just speculating..

#4665 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Ghostbusters is the ultimate 3 dressed up as a 9.

I”m just biting my tongue...
Game looks great and fun to shoot but as someone with zero Munsters nostalgia I find the audio less than “exciting”. Wasn’t gonna buy one anyway but I am looking forward to playing one sometime. I love the simulated Nixie tube score display though!
Congrats to those of you who are into the theme! I guess I’m just too young and virile for this one...

Wouldn't this be just like an original theme like Attack from Mars or Medieval Madness to you if you aren't familiar with the Munsters?

1 week later
#5543 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It’s possible, but if you listen to Dwight’s interview on Head 2 Head, doesn’t sound likely with Munsters.
I listened to the interview before any gameplay reviews and I was a bit concerned he’s deliberately made it too shallow (for home use). It looks as though early gameplay reviews are confirming that.

Is it really too shallow for home use? I think of all the great Bally/Williams titles out there that I'd love to have, with about the same depth of ruleset. AFM, MM, TOTAN, TOM come to mind, repetitive and shallow but still fun to own and play...

#5555 5 years ago
Quoted from cletus:

It’s obvious that Stern is catering to the average arcade wanderer and not the beer-league players on pinside. Borg and Dwight both mentioned multiple times that certain design decisions were made because the average person didn’t know pinball.

My thought is that this could be due to all the exposure pinball is getting right now especially from celebrities like Jeffrey Star, rock band members and even guys like Jeff Goldblum and Dr. Phil. People who have not even considered pinball before are now wondering if they are missing out on something. I'm just speculating, but to me it feels like *that* is who Stern is going after - hooking noobs into pinball in order to try to grow the hobby even more.

2 weeks later
#6495 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Are you sure you’re not on Stern’s payroll? Lol
You’re trying to explain away a currently shallow coded game as okay. Again it’s only okay if they charge a great deal less.
Appears Munsters is a great location table. Throw in some dollars, have fun. Danger of shallow code in a home environment is boredom setting in, unless deep code is there like Batman keeping you coming back. Batman is a good example of all types of players being satisfied. No one has to make up explanations for shallow code on Batman, because Lyman doesn’t do shallow code. Price is somewhat justified with Batman for home.

That may be true for you but it isn't for others. I like having easy, fun games because I like having friends over to flip, and almost all of them are casual players to whom deep code doesn't matter.

#6593 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

have you played it then? How do you know it's a great seller?
------
There are clearly two views of this game:
It's short, easy and repetitive and not much to shoot, I don't like it.
OR
Its fun and I like it.
if you are enjoying it so what if others aren't. I for one would have been glad for the insight on this game if I hadn't been able to play it. If I hadn't then I'd probably pause my order and wait to play it. Now I've canceled my order to wait to see if the code can improve it but I think its wishful thinking. Vic is right with his batman comparison.
If you aren't permitted to post your opinion here then what's the point of this place? Several times I've been accused more than once of not actually having played it (despite 6 hours plus of video of me playing it linked at the start of this thread ) hence why I've restated my view on it. I don't like TAF either BTW LOL
Cheers,
Neil.

Nothing wrong with posting your opinion, there's just no need to post the same opinion 15 times. We got it the first time, everything after that gets tiring to listen to. Not saying this applies to you, it's just why this thread is getting contentious.

2 weeks later
#7399 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Ghostbusters owners would like to have a word with you.

That's one game, not a track record.

#7402 5 years ago
Quoted from tonycip:

WOF thats 2
If you have a game you feel that need code update feel free to add.

A game from 2007 is your counterpoint? How's the code on Deadpool, Iron Maiden, Star Wars, Star Trek, Batman '66, Aerosmith, Game of Thrones, Metallica, AC/DC, Walking Dead, even KISS and Guardians of the Galaxy? It's pretty obvious Stern has made a commitment to updating code. Ghostbusters is the lone recent exception for whatever reason. Is it being worked on? Who knows? But their track record in the last few years on code is pretty stellar.

#7410 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Star Trek owners would like to have a word with you.

Give me a break. Now we are just approaching whining and people that will never be happy no matter what is done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

9,564 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jackalwere.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming?tu=Jackalwere and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.