(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #550 Munsters Premium and LE cabinet art Posted by pinsanity (5 years ago)

Post #8004 0.96 Code change summary Posted by PanzerFreak (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2025 5 years ago

Remember all that shit I said about Stern with Primus and Beatles?

Never fuckin mind this looks rad!

I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 weeks later
#2540 5 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

Click on the pic to make it full size.

Man it's like...you can lead a horse to water...

3 weeks later
#3608 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

How many times has Stern EXCEEDED expectations in the modern era?
There's your answer.

Every time they release something better than Striker Extreme they've done this .

People have pretty short memories around here.

#3646 5 years ago

He was indeed quite a character.

Have nothing to add except I saw him in the West Village when I lived there briefly around 1998. He was chomping on a cigar waiting to cross 7th avenue and Christopher, as was I.

He had a simply unmistakable appearance!!

#3810 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

In the food for thought category, has anyone considered this is just a massive CES PR stunt for general sales to the public, i.e. non-pinheads, and creating a buzz at CES? They are there to make waves in order to get some free PR buzz going.

No, it had not occurred to me that Stern was taking part in CES to generate press for Munsters and their other products, perhaps in pursuit of a desire to sell more pinball machines and promote their "global lifestyle brand."

Thanks for the insight!

#3822 5 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

all those downvoters do you own or watch b/w tv?

It's a beta male thing, you just wouldn't understand.

#3837 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Well it is good to see the we have enough conductors on the hype train express... sheesh. Wouldnt want a post with little to no merit to slip by all the keyboard warriors who are ready to pounce on your throat at a momments notice... as a matter of curiosity, I am crafting this post to actually maximize blood boiling. And it should start bubbling right about now...

It's just that my head is spinning from the idea that Stern is at CES to generate press and hype!

I wonder what other nefarious tricks they have up their sleeves!

#3859 5 years ago

More food for thought:

Is Stern really in Vegas just to catch a Joy Behar show, or is there something more sinister at play?

#3872 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Litterly 4 posts above yours in the Stern press release.

BUT WHEN IS IT?!?!?!

#3878 5 years ago

Hmm. So the stream is today?

Damn, I'm at work.

Oh wait, I'm at work! Sweet!

#3891 5 years ago
Quoted from bohunr:

Dang it with daylight savings time I thought we were only 2 hours apart now not 3?

What if I'm in Belgium?!

#3909 5 years ago
Quoted from Budman:

So need help here: I downloaded the Twitch app to be able to watch the live stream.... is that right? Or, is there a simpler way?

Yeah. Just go to twitch.com. You don't need an app.

The main issue is that nobody will tell us when is the stream!?!?!?!

#4105 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

They forgot to put anti-reflective glass on grandpa's lab, but even the main PF glass isn't reducing the glare that much.
Typical Stern half-assed web update. The Munsters feature matrix is still called "Deadpool Features Matrix."
https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Munsters-Features-Matrix.pdf

Anything new on the Kapow website?!

#4107 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This isn't officially a Kapow release, is it? You really need to lay off this obsession with Kapow. Batman is NOT calling you.

Kapow or not Kapow it doesn't matter.

It's these half-ass web site updates that are killing me!!!

It's almost like Stern has bigger fish to fry, like releasing a game every couple of months!

#4146 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

innovative[quoted image]

I'm thinking Toyotaboy has never played Starship Troopers. Or Medusa?

#4153 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

medusa was extra time after 3rd ball, not a ball save timer
starship troopers was to show bug count kill

Ohhh...

So this is super innovative then! I don't think anybody has ever used a display on a lower playfield!

Innovation rulez!

#4173 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Good lord, Stern white knights, pull your horses up. It's okay that they probably took inspiration from TNA, pinball is like that.

You know you are "good lording" the wrong people, right?

No sensible person would take issue with ANYTHING in pinball being inspired by anything else, as it's ALL been done, decades over at this point. Pointing out a passing resemblence of something on a new game with something on an old one is pretty redundant at this point, and pretty sad when it's supposed to be clever.

People have been OBSESSED with the "lack of innovation" on Munsters since those ridiculous "Munster Bash" claims when those 50 DPI leaks were posted, and they aren't ready to give up now.

I haven't watched any streams or videos, but all I know is Munsters is a complete rehash of AC/DC, Monster Bash, Family Guy, and now TNA.

Wow, that's a lot of shit to rip off in one game! That seems innovative on it's own!

#4206 5 years ago
Quoted from RazerX:

Inspired is probably a better word than stolen. It's actually kind of cool to see when designers and programmers inspire one another. I see several things on this playfield and display that were inspired by others and that's ok. I'm glad much of this stuff isn't patented. How much would it suck if only one company could exclusively use pop bumpers, another drop targets and another spinners?

Without Data East taking “inspiration” from all those 90s Williams games can you imagine how terrible they’d all be?

Jpop never met an idea he wouldn’t steal and people can’t get enough.

Without captain fantastic we wouldn’t have seen Flash and all the great games that rip off steve Ritchie.

“Innovation” is the most over-lusted for desire in pinball. You don’t want it people!!!

#4258 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

So it looks like another slow rollout of machines. Pros 21st of Jan, LEs first part of Feb, and Premiums don't go until all the way out to March 1st. Ugh.

Lmao this is like the 4th stern pin released in a year?

Yeah, stern is king of the “slow rollout.”

Where’s your head at Vic?!?

#4399 5 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

A closer look...
[quoted image]

"lite" has been used as both a verb and a noun in pinball for about 70 years.

Seems a little late in the game to get bitchy about it now.

#4404 5 years ago
Quoted from BackFlipper:

All good. I found a great example:
Lights vs Lites
[quoted image]

noun and verb!

image-3 (resized).jpgimage-3 (resized).jpgimage-8 (resized).jpgimage-8 (resized).jpg
#4446 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Simple code. Few modes. It looks to be decently controllable ball wise. I think a full mini playfield in a mini cab would be a tad bigger right? Longer at least maybe. Could have two orbits and a small up post for the lower orbit to mix it up. Less than $500 would be nice, but I wont kid myself there. Ill pay for the quality. I bet thats not even enough.

Well you are gonna need a display as well, and something to run and power the whole thing.

I don't think $500 pulls it off sadly.

But you can be sure they are trying to figure out a way to do it!

1 month later
#7210 5 years ago

You want it, you need it, my half-assed Munsters review!

Layout is a good twist on a fairly standard format, with great loop pass orbits and I dig the Dragula shot. No clunk. I like the rising spot dino on the ramp, fun to whack. The loud, lurching Herman doll is kind of underwhelming.

The animations, sound, and music are really good. Serves the theme well.

Game all around looks really nice.

Code: As it sits this has to be the shallowest game since Iron Man. Depth junkies aren't gonna like this one as it currently stands. Really reminds me of a 90s williams game (more so than Iron Man). On my better games I've gotten Munster Madness twice. I know it's a lazy comparison but the software really does remind of of Monster Bash.

As simple as it is the game doesn't do a great job of telling you want to do...I still haven't figured out why I should press the zap button, and the jackpot cancel thing I'm not sure if I like or not. It's all about pumping up the jackpots, instead of cashing them in. Cashing things in is fun, not cashing things in isn't so I'm kind of iffy about this whole thing. It is a lot of fun to finally bring in a 40 million jackpot.

I'm having fun with it, but in the end code will make or break this one. If it stays more or less the same I think this is one for beginners/guests/friends rather than hardcore players/collectors.

I don't know how this became a Beatles vs. Munsters thread but after playing a bit of both I'd certainly rather have a Munsters.

#7218 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Using a lockdown bar button for weird scoring shit is my least favorite trend in pinball ever. It's always convoluted and confusing, and most people who walk up to a game think it's the start button.

Seriously. Please stop it.

Something like ACDC? Fine.

Something like Pirates? Not fine.

Most the shit in between? Also sucks.

Boom button on DP I'm ok with. Cause it's a boom button. Also it's pretty simple, makes sense, not timed. The whole "flipper button or zap button?!" conundrum sucks donkey butt. It doesn't add drama it adds stupidity.

#7263 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Here is what I don’t understand:
Many people have said that the code is shallow and that Stern was trying to entice “new” players into pinball.
I have no horse in this race (I think the game looks beautiful) but if they were really trying to entice new players into our hobby, I’m sure that The Munsters is NOT the way to go about it. My kids are 11 and 9 and could really give 2 shits about the Munsters.

Here's what you don't understand: "New players" doesn't mean "kid players."

People with kids here are OBSESSED with the idea that Stern should base their business model around "attracting kids," which is an absolutely pointless exercise in 2019. Kids don't play pinball, kids don't buy pinball, kids don't go to bars, kids don't do much besides go to school and play with their tech.

You know who does go out to bars? 20 and 30 somethings. And a simple, "shallow" game like Munsters with a retro theme is a perfectly valid way to get "new players" like them into pinball.

#7265 5 years ago
Quoted from hollywood:

Well I do understand where the money is and who has it.... but what I worry about is the future and longevity of this hobby. If us pinheads don't submerse our kids and encourage playing, how is a non-pinhead going to get their kids involved..

I don't think we need to worry about it. Pinball has changed radically from what it was when WE were kids and our parents were kids. It's not FOR kids any more. That's just how it is. And it's been that way for 20 years. The 90s were the last gasp of arcade culture for kids. And for the same time period, people have been declaring pinball dead, yet it refuses to die and is in fact stronger now than any time since early in the Clinton years.

There's always a new generation of pinball fans. because kids grow up, and want to get out of the house and drink, and some of them will embrace pinball because it's awesome.

THAT'S where pinball gets discovered now, for the most part. And pinball is thriving on the current model of middle-aged people buying games for their homes and youngish people going out and playing it at bars and barcades.

So that's where Stern and the industry should/are focusing their efforts. And in 2019, it's clearly the winning strategy.

It would be a huge mistake for them to cater to actual children now. That's simply not going to work.

That's just my take on it. Today's kids are tomorrow's young adults and that's where pinball is today.

#7267 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

If that’s true, why use an obscure theme from 1964 to attract 20-30 somethings? Shit their parents barely remember The Munsters.

If what's true?

Our pop culture is pretty much entirely based upon nostalgia now. It doesn't matter if people are too young to actually be nostalgic about something anymore; How many of the people who went to see Bohemian Rhapsody were even alive when Queen was on the charts?

Go watch a Youtube video of ANYTHING that's 20-40 years old. Half the comments are from people saying "I wish I were alive back then!"

#7283 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You want it, you need it, my half-assed Munsters review!
Layout is a good twist on a fairly standard format, with great loop pass orbits and I dig the Dragula shot. No clunk. I like the rising spot dino on the ramp, fun to whack. The loud, lurching Herman doll is kind of underwhelming.
The animations, sound, and music are really good. Serves the theme well.
Game all around looks really nice.
Code: As it sits this has to be the shallowest game since Iron Man. Depth junkies aren't gonna like this one as it currently stands. Really reminds me of a 90s williams game (more so than Iron Man). On my better games I've gotten Munster Madness twice. I know it's a lazy comparison but the software really does remind of of Monster Bash.
As simple as it is the game doesn't do a great job of telling you want to do...I still haven't figured out why I should press the zap button, and the jackpot cancel thing I'm not sure if I like or not. It's all about pumping up the jackpots, instead of cashing them in. Cashing things in is fun, not cashing things in isn't so I'm kind of iffy about this whole thing. It is a lot of fun to finally bring in a 40 million jackpot.
I'm having fun with it, but in the end code will make or break this one. If it stays more or less the same I think this is one for beginners/guests/friends rather than hardcore players/collectors.
I don't know how this became a Beatles vs. Munsters thread but after playing a bit of both I'd certainly rather have a Munsters.

I'd like to add a bit since I've put another dozen games in on it.

You know what's fun?

Scoring big points!

You knows what's not fun?

Not scoring big points!

Munsters is bugging me a bit because the entire game bases itself on the principle of choosing to not score points in the hope of scoring more points later. It's inherently not fun.

I've heard this compared to say Jackbot or Batman66, but that's way off. There's plenty of other chances to score big points in those games that don't rely on "delayed gratification. And, you aren't flying blind in those games - you know what the jackpot value is and weigh whether or not you should accept or delay. Munsters is a lot of guesswork.

Perhaps this could be addressed in a future code rev. The Super Jackpot in Munsters is the only way currently to really score huge points and I think the way it's being handled is inherently not fun.

#7294 5 years ago
Quoted from Yfichelle:

There is a problem in this pinball :
- the game has been done around the aim to collect jackpot and to win it when you want especially with a 6x bonus. 1st problem : you must be lucky to put the ball behind the dragula hole to collect all the jackpots.
- when you do that, you win around 50 millions... ok. And you are happy...
2nd problem : to do that you play boring modes... spot is awful, not fun, very risky to loose the ball. Grandpa, raven, herman are based on the ramps and loops and very risky...
3rd problem : why played boring and risky modes rather than focus munster madness. I Dont really played the modes (i dont take any risk and i only wait munster madness).
If you do that, you can do 600 millions with 6x and hurry up....
So dont play the modes ! And in this case the pinball is really bad.
2 weeks that i play the pinball. At the beginning it was fun but now.... and dwight said that the code is 95% finished ? Okkkkk.

Yeah I'm coming to the same conclusion too.

Why play out the modes...and ESPECIALLY why hit the kitty shot before you have a ton of jackpots set up?

Makes no sense.

Just let kitty blink and blink again and don't risk going into ball three with no mulitpliers lit.

It's almost as if this game is overengineered to not be fun.

#7394 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Like... delaying MBs on BSD?
or delaying modes on MB for the big stack?
or... doing nothing but trying to advance Song Jackpot on ACDC and timing the big multiplier collect?
I thought this was pretty obvious from the start when they revealed the SJ stacking and playfield multiplier...

That’s nice that it was “obvious from the start” but I don’t watch streams and reveals. I just play the game when I find one and let you know what I think of it.

Obvious or not I’m not into the guesswork. A simple improvement from my standpoint would be to let the player know exactly how many jackpot points are in the bank so the player can make an informed choice whether or not to cash it in.

Like pretty much every other game with a cash or gamble feature.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens
Shooter rods
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore
Protection
5,450 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
Machine - For Sale
Mishawaka, IN
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 210.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 49.99
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CrazyLevi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming?tu=CrazyLevi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.