(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 164.
#4751 5 years ago

While people discuss recycled layouts, and what you can do with only 2 flippers, I'll ask this riddle.

Ignoring # of flippers, what do the following games all have in common regarding upper PF layout...?

Munsters
IMDN
GOTG
SW
AS
ST
MET
ACDC
GOT
KISS
IM
XM
Probably more I'm forgetting

Answer - They all have a right orbit with the right ramp immediately to the left of them. That's a ton of repetition in one single feature placement across a dozen recent Sterns.

A 2-flipper game doesn't have to feel line a fan layout if you can break up the PF, mix things up, introduce short and long features, include diverters in the layout, and have shots next to each other with different distances. That's why, speaking layouts and feature placement only, I think TWD is such a good 2-flipper layout, same with Deadpool (though one can argue the ramp entrance being to the left of the orbit), and even older games like WCS and CFTBL.

A 2-flipper game really feels like a fan layout when all shot entrances are virtually equidistant from the flippers. It will also feel like recycling when common features are being placed in the same spot over and over again.

#4752 5 years ago

It doesn't matter how many comparisons you make, ultimately pins have been being made for 40 years. You have to keep in mind that fan works for general game play. Very few new things you can do that someone isn't going to compare it to because that is how the human mind works, and limited space and physics that work with bottom playfield flippers. Some of the more inventive things cost money, but really don't relate to actual layout.

#4753 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Check out the "cookie cutter crap" on ACDC overlaid on Munsters above. Layouts match almost exactly.

It takes a big person to admit when they were wrong, as you did with the artwork.

Interesting that you then chose to pivot quickly and find something else to be negative about! I look forward to your realization that despite rudimentary similarities, this machine plays NOTHING like an ACDC.

Look, the only difference is there's an extra couple of shots... and instead of stand up targets, there's a scoop!... and the flippers are positioned differently... and the targets are at different angles... and the ramp returns are completely different... and the top lanes are different... and the bash toy has a magnet... and the CODE is a radical departure.

Waste of money... just get a used ACDC!

#4754 5 years ago
Quoted from brucipher:

Well, if we are making comparisons...

I know right, how about 75% of every game ever made. The comparison thing is crap.

#4755 5 years ago

There are many pieces to a pinball machine that make it unique, or similar even, from the next.

Playfield layout is just a small piece.
Insert matrix is a small piece
Artwork is a small piece
Rules are a small piece
Artwork is a small piece
Music and sounds are a small piece
Call outs are a small piece
Theme is a small piece
Code is a small piece
Lightning is a small piece
And overall gameplay/feeling is the final piece.

Add all these up and you get a different experience across the board from pin to pin. How many checkboxes does there need to be for you to even like a pin? How many to own it? How many to toss it to the curb?

You either like it or you don’t. A lot of work went into this game it shows as almost every checkbox has a mark (for me on first dead flip tutorial impression). And unfortunately, games with quick turn around also show. But sometimes certain checkboxes are more important to us than others.

#4756 5 years ago

Ever since Future Spa, 93.1% of all successful pins are a fan layout.

Might as well get used to it.

#4757 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Ever since Future Spa, 93.1% of all successful pins are a fan layout.
Might as well get used to it.

And people would declare a national emergency if Stern released a modern game with a similar layout to Police Force.

#4758 5 years ago
Quoted from Rolls-Royce:

I know that character it is important for you since the beginning of this thread man!... now I know who he is thanks to you

Yeah, that was just my favorite Munsters episode out there. I am not going to actually let it make my decision on what machine to buy, but was just hoping he would be on pro.

#4759 5 years ago
Quoted from tmntrule999:

Yeah, that was just my favorite Munsters episode out there. I am not going to actually let it make my decision on what machine to buy, but was just hoping he would be on pro.

Eddie in Zombo’s TV show?

#4760 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I agree that the majority of the design is borrowed or copied from previous titles. He did the same thing with GOTG, it makes me think that he is under an unrealistic time restraint or something when designing? I am looking for complete originality and completely different and unique layouts. Bring back wide-bodies, subways, etc. I would like to see the 'magic' like the Bally/Williams glory days. This copy and paste design technique only adds to the whole 'cookie cutter' term that people tend to use to describe Stern games.

Tron is mirrored X-Men layout.

#4761 5 years ago

Munsters LE paid in full SO excited to see Stern fulfill basically my childhood dream collection. BM66 and now Munsters! Both bring huge inspiration to create with MANY we feel creative mods on the way! So looking forward to parking this game in our collection. Thank you Stern and especially Chris F for Nailing that amazing artwork. Wow.

#4762 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You mean X-Men is a mirrored TRON layout. Tron came out a year before X-Men.

#4763 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

It takes a big person to admit when they were wrong, as you did with the artwork.
Interesting that you then chose to pivot quickly and find something else to be negative about! I look forward to your realization that despite rudimentary similarities, this machine plays NOTHING like an ACDC.

I'm not precious about anything I say. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and I'll admit it. I have no idea how Munsters plays, but the layout is almost identical to AC/DC, except that the banks of drop targets are cost-reduced out of it and replaced with a giant stand-up target and a scoop.

Quoted from MapleSyrup:

Waste of money... just get a used ACDC!

We already have a AC/DC LTBR on the route I help with, so that box is ticked.

#4764 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Same diff. One is a mirror of the other. Somewhere in the past I listed what Borg playfields were copies or mirrors. He's done the same layouts for like 10 years. I was hoping that Munsters was something completely new. Nope. Like I said, we're still getting one on the route, and I recommend the game, but it's a small disappointment.

#4765 5 years ago

For any complaints about the game.......... WHATEVER!!!!!!

This is blowing my mind how awesome it is I I cant wait to get it!!

#4766 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

and they all stole it from Congo.

#4767 5 years ago

I watched the stream of the Premium, and the wonderful explanation of the rules by Dwight. It put me back thinking seriously about a Premium. Just when I was OK with my decision to pass on this one.

I'll let the hype and urge to buy simmer for a while. Play the pins I have.

I really want to wait for TPF to get a better idea of what 2019 might bring. If something big drops at TPF I will regret getting a pin now where I'm on the fence. So really focused on resisting on the "gotta have it now" urges.

Self control is a new skill for me.

#4768 5 years ago

The thing that I found a little troubling from the stream last night was when Borg was playing he often was not trapping/controlling the ball but still had long ball times even while often hitting the ball on the fly.

That is likely why they are suggesting no ball save.

The explanation of the rules by Dwight was nice though.

#4769 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

There are many pieces to a pinball machine that make it unique, or similar even, from the next.
Playfield layout is just a small piece.
Insert matrix is a small piece
Artwork is a small piece
Rules are a small piece
Artwork is a small piece
Music and sounds are a small piece
Call outs are a small piece
Theme is a small piece
Code is a small piece
Lightning is a small piece
And overall gameplay/feeling is the final piece.
Add all these up and you get a different experience across the board from pin to pin. How many checkboxes does there need to be for you to even like a pin? How many to own it? How many to toss it to the curb?
You either like it or you don’t. A lot of work went into this game it shows as almost every checkbox has a mark (for me on first dead flip tutorial impression). And unfortunately, games with quick turn around also show. But sometimes certain checkboxes are more important to us than others.

This is way too rational and beyond the dumbed down thought process of many on here

“Well lookey there boys, hot damn this PF layout looks similar to AC/DC and SM

“There goes Stern again with the cost cutting and lack of creativity”

The reasons they sell the shit out of games like Munsters are listed in your post above!

Like I said too complicated for some to grasp on here

#4770 5 years ago
Quoted from OnTheSnap:

I watched the stream of the Premium, and the wonderful explanation of the rules by Dwight. It put me back thinking seriously about a Premium. Just when I was OK with my decision to pass on this one.
I'll let the hype and urge to buy simmer for a while. Play the pins I have.
I really want to wait for TPF to get a better idea of what 2019 might bring. If something big drops at TPF I will regret getting a pin now where I'm on the fence. So really focused on resisting on the "gotta have it now" urges.
Self control is a new skill for me.

Fight the urge to Self Control and give in to it young OnTheSnap Skywalker! The Munster is Strong in this one....
http://i.imgur.com/Gh0Lluc.gif

image (resized).pngimage (resized).png
#4771 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Layout similarity is irrelevant when playfield designs don't exist in a vacuum. They all have massively different rules, which makes the rhyme and reason for everything you do completely different, and thus the game feels different - not to mention any slight differences in geometry will make the ball react in drastically different ways. Critiquing a game for a similar layout without any other context is the laziest of pinball critique.

#4772 5 years ago

What's everyone hearing on actual prices for the pro and premium to your door? Have things went up a few hundred since maiden and is tax being charged? Pm me if you don't want the info in the threads. I believe maiden was 5500-5600 to your door and no tax added.

#4773 5 years ago
Quoted from tmntrule999:

He is on the TV in the back glass.

#4774 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Layout similarity is irrelevant when playfield designs don't exist in a vacuum. They all have massively different rules, which makes the rhyme and reason for everything you do completely different, and thus the game feels different - not to mention any slight differences in geometry will make the ball react and drastically different ways. Critiquing a game for a similar layout without any other context is the laziest of pinball critique.

Lazy doesn't make it invalid, just easy.

#4775 5 years ago

Maybe I missed it but was there mention about the rules concerning COMBOS? I noticed combos piling up on the screen but I didn't see which shots were awarding the combos and how many combos there are. I think combos are fun in games and the more the merrier!

#4776 5 years ago

What makes the mini PF boring for me is the mini balls&flippers, cramped feel of all the shots and location of it (identical to AC/DC).

It would be SO COOL to have a larger lower PF levitate to the main PF level (so you could eliminate the mini flippers and simply reuse the standard flippers). If you "stretch" the Munsters PF close to the flippers and relocate the inserts down below, you'd have a large area to do some interesting flipping

Sounds like a killer feature...like the Boom Balloon on steroids

#4777 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Maybe I missed it but was there mention about the rules concerning COMBOS? I noticed combos piling up on the screen but I didn't see which shots were awarding the combos and how many combos there are. I think combos are fun in games and the more the merrier!

Yes, Dwight explained the combos in the Premium game stream. I don't remember all the details offhand, but there's a combo meter on the bottom of the LCD.

#4778 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

What makes the mini PF boring for me is the mini balls&flippers, cramped feel of all the shots and location of it (identical to AC/DC).
It would be SO COOL to have a larger lower PF levitate to the main PF level (so you could eliminate the mini flippers and simply reuse the standard flippers). If you "stretch" the Munsters PF close to the flippers and relocate the inserts down below, you'd have a large area to do some interesting flipping
Sounds like a killer feature...like the Boom Balloon on steroids

Another option would have been to revive the Krull concept of a large under-playfield with regular flippers/balls, with a reducing lens to make the whole thing visible within the playfield window.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#4779 5 years ago

Dwight did a really nice job explaining the game, and you can tell the true enthusiasm he has. It was fun listening to him and made the stream interesting.

#4780 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

It would have to go through shrink ray on the way down.

I heard Deeproot are working on this.

Joking aside, before the game was announced, I was also hoping for a mini PF where the ball actually transitions from one PF to another - not these fake lower PF’s that already have the ball permanently down there. It’s funny they always do it for upper PFs but not lower. I guess gravity and access are the reason they don’t.

#4781 5 years ago

Same layout does not equate to it being the same game or even similar. Way too much emphasis is being put on pf layouts. Of course it matters, but its not the only thing that matters.

#4782 5 years ago

@westofrome, I was wondering if someone would take the time and make a full sized lower playfield and a reducer lens... aka Krull...

Or maybe we could put a mini LCD display where the big window is and put camera on a full scale lower pf mounted underneath... a real but virtually displayed lower playfield?!?

#4783 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

westofrome, I was wondering if someone would take the time and make a full sized lower playfield and a reducer lens... aka Krull...
Or maybe we could put a mini LCD display where the big window is and put camera on a full scale lower pf mounted underneath... a real but virtually displayed lower playfield?!?

Now you're talking!! Although in that case I'd rather the "lower" playfield be displayed on the backbox to leave more room on the physical playfield.

To take this concept further, if you add in internet connectivity - imagine controlling another real physical machine remotely with your machine's buttons during certain modes?

#4784 5 years ago

Good God I hate when people start saying this game is the same as that game, etc, etc. Here's one for you: this game uses steel balls and has four legs and a plunger. Oh my god the humanity.

This game is a breath of fresh air in many ways and a few negative Nancy's have to drag us down.

#4785 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:Good God I hate when people start saying this game is the same as that game, etc, etc. Here's one for you: this game uses steel balls and has four legs and a plunger. Oh my god the humanity.
This game is a breath of fresh air in many ways and a few negative Nancy's have to drag us down.

+1

#4786 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Good God I hate when people start saying this game is the same as that game, etc, etc. Here's one for you: this game uses steel balls and has four legs and a plunger. Oh my god the humanity.

+1000,actually....But it's the nature of this forum, sadly...

#4787 5 years ago

Just finished playing Munsters (LE, premium, & pro) at CES. I grew up watching the Munsters on TV, so the theme is perfect for me. Gameplay was great and loved the lower playfield. The second set of flipper buttons takes a bit to get used to. Spent a few minutes explaining the game to non-pinball people in attendance.

First chance to play Beatles, as well. Very solid feel and Stern picked a great playfield for re-use.

Steve (who no longer lives in Escalon)

#4788 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

And I'm sure many of the layout NN's own AFMr and swear by it

Some of the most beloved games are compelling because the sum is greater than the parts.

This pin looks like the total package...theme integration looks stunning.

#4789 5 years ago
Quoted from Steve_in_Escalon:

Stern picked a great playfield for re-use.

Hope Bealtes is not the only time it gets used.

#4790 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Maybe a fifth leg on the cabinet - would that be something new ? Would that satisfy the never satisfied ? Or a game with the plunger located on the rear of the cabinet ?

#4791 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Heard they copied the flipper thing, too. Two flippers down at the bottom - pfff - how original.

#4792 5 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Maybe a fifth leg on the cabinet - would that be something new ? Would that satisfy the never satisfied ? Or a game with the plunger located on the rear of the cabinet ?

open coin box and it's a 6pk refridge would be nice option

#4793 5 years ago

......kept continually stocked.... by me !

#4794 5 years ago

Caved and purchased the Premium as well as the LE after seeing the videos.

These are the nicest looking Stern machines in quite awhile. Great job, Team Stern.

#4795 5 years ago

Still in for an LE. Even more so after viewing the Premium stream last night.

#4796 5 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

open coin box and it's a 6pk refridge would be nice option

Now *that's* a nifty mod idea. You press the coin return button and cold beer shoots out an enlarged coin return opening...

#4797 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

Now *that's* a nifty mod idea. You press the coin return button and cold beer shoots out an enlarged coin return opening...

Even Better for a different manufacturer and game - should have been in Oktoberfest .

#4798 5 years ago

The Prem stream from last night really has me excited about this game. I just like a lot of the ideas about the code.
And while I think they are wrong about ball save timers. Sorry if I pay 1-2 dollars for a game and I get houseballed for 1 or 2 times and then I brick one shot and it drains... I'm going to be cheesed off if that is my game. Sure, I'll play better. But, I also think you need to play a few games to see how the ball bounces and responds and to find the shots. So I think ball save timers are a good thing...

But, besides that, I think the code is really cool. Game doesn't seem overly deep, but also doesn't seem shallow. Seems like it should be a nice game for location play, but also a nice game to have in a home collection.
Callouts seem to be nice, but not amazing. Really like the displays and animations... All except Lilly mode... The animation they made of her is just creepy. Should have just stuck with the real footage.

Don't know if I"m going to get one right away... But, I'll be thinking about it...

#4799 5 years ago

In on a pro. Pretty excited to get this one. Art looks amazing and will be great beside bm66.

#4800 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Caved and purchased the Premium as well as the LE after seeing the videos

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 210.00
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
5,450 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 96 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/96?hl=rhaegal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.