(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 164.
#4701 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

This game is nothing like Acdc first of all which that game is a complete hack of t2; ohh and Acdc probably has the worst lower play field ever in a pinball machine too, but too each their own. Last tome I checked all Acdc lower play field had was some touch targets

Duh. I was talking about the upper playfield. Almost an exact cost-reduced copy of AC/DC.

acdc-munsters-compare.gifacdc-munsters-compare.gif
#4702 5 years ago

Someone prob posted this already but just for comparison.

comparison (resized).JPGcomparison (resized).JPG
#4703 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Duh. I was talking about the upper playfield. Almost an exact cost-reduced copy of AC/DC.

I highly doubt that because Acdc top play field only has five real shots to it the bell shot two orbits and two ramps; this has two ramps very unique and not the cookie cutter crap that’s in Acdc; two orbits; the awesome side kick out shot with the Dragula; the Herman shot; kittie shot; the grandpa scoop and that puts AcDc at 5 vs Munsters at 8 shots; maybe try playing someone’s creation too before you judge it I know borgy busted his ass on this and really tried to give us something special.

#4704 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Someone prob posted this already but just for comparison.[quoted image]

Metallica is similar, but falls apart on the left and right target banks that AC/DC has but Metallica doesn't. Also, AC/DC has the lower playfield Metallica didn't. It's closer to AC/DC than Metallica, IMO. But whichever case, it's not a new design, except for the mini under playfield.

#4705 5 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

I highly doubt that because Acdc top play field only has five real shots to it the bell shot two orbits and two ramps; this has two ramps very unique and not the cookie cutter crap that’s in Acdc; two orbits; the awesome side kick out shot with the Dragula; the Herman shot; kittie shot; the grandpa scoop and that puts AcDc at 5 vs Munsters at 8 shots; maybe try playing someone’s creation too before you judge it I know borgy busted his ass on this and really tried to give us something special.

Check out the "cookie cutter crap" on ACDC overlaid on Munsters above. Layouts match almost exactly.

#4706 5 years ago

So seems to be a mixture from AC/DC (upper PF) and MET (lower PF). A mixture out of 2 great games can not be bad

#4707 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Check out the "cookie cutter crap" on ACDC overlaid on Munsters above. Layouts match almost exactly.

I agree that the majority of the design is borrowed or copied from previous titles. He did the same thing with GOTG, it makes me think that he is under an unrealistic time restraint or something when designing? I am looking for complete originality and completely different and unique layouts. Bring back wide-bodies, subways, etc. I would like to see the 'magic' like the Bally/Williams glory days. This copy and paste design technique only adds to the whole 'cookie cutter' term that people tend to use to describe Stern games.

#4708 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I agree that the majority of the design is borrowed or copied from previous titles. He did the same thing with GOTG, it makes me think that he is under an unrealistic time restraint or something when designing? I am looking for complete originality and completely different and unique layouts. Bring back wide-bodies, subways, etc. I would like to see the 'magic' like the Bally/Williams glory days. This copy and paste design technique only adds to the whole 'cookie cutter' term that people tend to use to describe Stern games.

Borg has always copied or borrowed heavily from other designers. Tron is Funhouse with flow. You could overlay many fan layouts to prove similar points. GOTG “looks” like Metallica but shoots nothing like it when you physically play it.

Great shooting games do have similar properties. Look at a clunky layout like Rob Zombie. Not a fan layout. Unique. And it shoots like utter crap. All of this is just a bunch of whining.

#4709 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Borg has always copied or borrowed

Borg-'The King of Copying'
Ritchie-'The King of Flow'

#4710 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

We have the versus AC/DC (Steve Ritchie) flashing pic of playfields. How about another flashing pic vs MET (Borg) and one vs MB (Gomez)?

#4711 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am looking for complete originality and completely different and unique layouts. Bring back wide-bodies, subways, etc. I would like to see the 'magic' like the Bally/Williams glory days. This copy and paste design technique only adds to the whole 'cookie cutter' term that people tend to use to describe Stern games.

Maybe it's time to check out JJP

#4712 5 years ago

I really wanted to add the premium to the collection but right now the only modern pin I have setup is AC/DC LE. The layout on the Munsters is too similar to have both of these pins in a small collection.

#4713 5 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Maybe it's time to check out JJP

You do not know how much I want to like JJP games. They are beautiful to look at, but still do nothing for me. I love the layout on Dialed In, really fun to play. It just does nothing for me with theme, and after 20 plays-I got bored. WOZ-again beautiful game and great to look at, but it has way too much going on and feels clunky to me with all the stop and go. It is a journey game and takes a 30 minute+ game to progress significantly. POTC is hit and miss for me. One day I like it and the next day I don't. I love the theme and the layout is growing on me. Not sure if I like the ship or hate it? For the price of POTC-it definitely has me considering several other titles first.

Right now in terms of creativity and originality I have Oktoberfest on my slightly interested list. Watching closely to see if it will be a good game. I thought Houdini was going to be awesome-and we all know where that ended up.

#4714 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I am looking for complete originality and completely different and unique layouts. Bring back wide-bodies, subways, etc. I would like to see the 'magic' like the Bally/Williams glory days. This copy and paste design technique only adds to the whole 'cookie cutter' term that people tend to use to describe Stern games.

That is honestly why I bought Houdini and sold my METLE and ACDC

#4715 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

You do not know how much I want to like JJP games. They are beautiful to look at, but still do nothing for me. I love the layout on Dialed In, really fun to play. It just does nothing for me with theme, and after 20 plays-I got bored. WOZ-again beautiful game and great to look at, but it has way too much going on and feels clunky to me with all the stop and go. It is a journey game and takes a 30 minute+ game to progress significantly. POTC is hit and miss for me. One day I like it and the next day I don't. I love the theme and the layout is growing on me. Not sure if I like the ship or hate it? For the price of POTC-it definitely has me considering several other titles first.
Right now in terms of creativity and originality I have Oktoberfest on my slightly interested list. Watching closely to see if it will be a good game. I thought Houdini was going to be awesome-and we all know where that ended up.

I feel similarly, but decided to purchase DILE and couldn't be happier. The layout/flow rock, and the theme grew on me. The virtual targets that pop-up in the theatre are very cool. Big bang/SIM card shots are unique. You can tell this game wasn't rushed. Surprised you got bored...it's a really challenging game when dialed in.

#4716 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

... I thought Houdini was going to be awesome-and we all know where that ended up.

We sure do ... SUPER AWESOME! I too am looking forward to Oktoberfest and share many of your thoughts regarding JJP games.

As far as Munsters goes, I think it looks fantastic and DeadFlip's latest Premium stream at Stern really has me intrigued with its rules and gameplay! Regardless of its many layout similarities to AC/DC and numerous previous Borg designs which are inevitable to a large degree unfortunately.

#4717 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

You had me until the end.

#4718 5 years ago

The premium game rules explained in a stream last night.

#4719 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

We sure do ... SUPER AWESOME!

AMEN.

#4720 5 years ago

Layouts always seem to share elements and shots. It hard to really innovate these days with cramped project design time allotments. GB is an example of a game that probably could have used some more whitewood time, because the layout was pretty outside the box at the time.

20181128_173512 (resized).jpg20181128_173512 (resized).jpg
#4721 5 years ago

i love love love that black and white on the Premium but im just not feeling that lower playfield with the miniature pinballs. I wouldnt mind it if it was hardly ever used but the rules have it being used quite frequently. I have a feeling that it will become dreadful rather than fun after while. I like the design of it but i just dont think its something that i want to be playing very often. Dwight should have programmed it for something very special rather than something that is frequently used. Right now im thinking pro is going to have the funnest gameplay. I hope i can play both and the Premium wins me over but i dont think that will happen honestly.

#4722 5 years ago

So what if the layout is similar to another game? There is only so much you can do with the limited space and 2 flippers. Every game feels different to me. If it plays good then that is all that matters. I would like to see a third flipper, though.

#4723 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

There is only so much you can do with the limited space and 2 flippers.

I disagree, Ghostbusters and Star Wars with Hyperloop & fork ramp are prime examples of creativity and originality. I do think Stern should think about wide bodies(and do away with useless pop design)-I have been preaching this for years now.

#4724 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

So what if the layout is similar to another game? There is only so much you can do with the limited space and 2 flippers. Every game feels different to me. If it plays good then that is all that matters. I would like to see a third flipper, though.

A third flipper would have been great on this game. It would have been much better than the lower playfield i think.

#4725 5 years ago

A Stern wide body could be very interesting. Or how about a narrow game like Safe Cracker ? Played one for the first time recently and was surprised.

#4726 5 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

A Stern wide body could be very interesting. Or how about a narrow game like Safe Cracker ? Played one for the first time recently and was surprised.

After playing IMDN im convinced that more flippers equals more fun!

#4727 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

A third flipper would have been great on this game. It would have been much better than the lower playfield i think.

I dunno. I really love the look of the lower playfield, and with the show having Grandpa's Laboratory in the cellar/basement of their house, it fits perfectly with the theme. However, I'm a lover of mini-playfields, and I understand that's not something every other pinhead digs, so different strokes for different folks. The pro does look like a killer option for those who don't dig the lower playfield. Unfortunately, if you have your heart set on the black and white art, that's a toughy.

#4728 5 years ago

After watching Dwight’s tutorial last night; this game looks really fun! Really digging that ruleset, can’t wait to play. Premium looks the way to go. This game is screaming for some lightning flippers

#4729 5 years ago

Lightning flippers is a good idea. The game looks easy...

#4730 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

i love love love that black and white on the Premium but im just not feeling that lower playfield with the miniature pinballs. I wouldnt mind it if it was hardly ever used but the rules have it being used quite frequently. I have a feeling that it will become dreadful rather than fun after while. I like the design of it but i just dont think its something that i want to be playing very often. Dwight should have programmed it for something very special rather than something that is frequently used. Right now im thinking pro is going to have the funnest gameplay. I hope i can play both and the Premium wins me over but i dint think that will happen honestly.

You nailed exactly how I feel. I switched my Premium order to a Pro yesterday. Some folks think having 4 flipper buttons to flip both PF's simultaneously is fun/cool, however I can't imagine that working out well. If I'm wrong, and the lower PF is a blast, I'll update from Pro=>Premium. Also like that I'll have the game in 2-3 weeks...

#4731 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

After watching Dwight’s tutorial last night; this game looks really fun! Really digging that ruleset, can’t wait to play. Premium looks the way to go. This game is screaming for some lightning flippers

Do you really think the lower playfield will stay fun though? I really hope that i get to play the premium and see for myself if i think the lower playfield is something that i would enjoy long term. Right now im thinking its used way too much and that it will become boring.

#4732 5 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Lightning flippers is a good idea. The game looks easy...

Wouldn't that be like introducing a Trudeau gap to the game? People didn't much care for that on GB. Normally you could disable ball save to shorten game times, but Munsters doesn't have one, just like Addams Family doesn't. That is frustrating for those of us that have grown accustom to having one, but it helps define the game.

#4733 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Watching Dwight say things like "stupid ball search" and frantically hitting switches in that stream made a strong case for a "disable ball search" option in the settings that stays off for a few hours, then turns back on automatically. Would make demos like his MUCH easier, and would not be hard to program at the system level for all Spike2.

I'll have to watch the stream but that sounds kind of funny. I wounder why he didn't just hold a flipper up or do like Keith and the programmer of DP (forget whom did Deadpool) did by just swiping an inlane switch periodically?

#4734 5 years ago

They said in the stream last night you can turn the ball save on, but the default is off and they recommend leaving the default to no ball saves.

#4735 5 years ago

My only disappointment was I was hoping the ball would pass through to a lower playfield....

#4736 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

My only disappointment was I was hoping the ball would pass through to a lower playfield....

It would have to go through shrink ray on the way down.

#4737 5 years ago

Who cares if one playfield looks similar to another one.
I mean really it's a 2' wide by 4' long piece of wood. Pinball has been around for decades there is only so much you can do with the space
and things are going to look similar from one game to another.

The biggest difference is rules and audio that can take a game that may look like another playfield to another level.

Let's go back to 2011 before TRON shipped out.
The bitching on pinside was that it was a rehash of Tommy and/or Funhouse. TRON plays nothing like either of those games.

I gotta say looking at all 3 versions of Munsters they are solid and each will stand on their own and people will be happy to buy all 3 different models of it for their own personal reasons.

My LE's were sold out in a matter of hours.

#4738 5 years ago

I'd almost rather have some amazing looking 3-D mini scene under a clear window on the playfield than have a playable one that turns into a bore to play. Like the Doozers on a Fraggle Rock themed machine.

#4739 5 years ago

Well, if we are making comparisons...

MMMNCOMP (resized).jpgMMMNCOMP (resized).jpg
#4740 5 years ago

A negative about Munsters - it continues the Stern tradition of "busy artwork for the sake of busy artwork".

Combine this with a gaping hole in the playfield and the color LE looks very cramped. The B&W alleviates this a bit.

On that note - who cares if it copies AC/DC? Stern has realized by this point ya'll are just buying it for the art and nostalgia anyway.

#4741 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

A negative about Munsters - it continues the Stern tradition of "busy artwork for the sake of busy artwork".

The artwork is gorgeous on this game and I wouldn’t change a thing. All Stern games have awesome artwork. I am glad that they have Chris Franchi, Dirty Donnie and Zombie Yeti making these games beautiful for us. Sterns art packages are the best in the business by far.

#4742 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The artwork is gorgeous on this game and I wouldn’t change a thing. All Stern games have awesome artwork. I am glad that they haveChris Franchi, Dirty Donnie and Zombie Yeti making these games beautiful for us. Sterns art packages are the best in the business by far.

A few tables maybe, but most of the photoshop job packages leave quite a bit to be desired. Much of that is because of the licenses. Only so much you can do when you are using existing assets around a known property. IMO GotG and GoT are a couple of the worst looking pins of the new age. Many of the AC/DC themes are pretty meh too.

#4743 5 years ago

I like what I'm seeing with this pin... we love met and this looks very similar layout wise with a few different aspects and the ramps are different. I think with the way the code is and the slightly different things we will love it. Also its a fun lightheartedtheme with humor and nice lcd work . Also the lighting and everything else looks great even with early code .The only thing I'm slightly worried about is that it looks fairly easy to complete ... but i think it will have great replay value non the less. I'm probably gonna order a pro tomorrow and if we love it i will upgrade to the premium . Only difference i see is the lower playfield gameplay wise ... and of course the art work. I like the b@w art but the pro is gorgeous with great color's.

#4744 5 years ago

From a design and aesthetic point of view, the Le/Pre look fantastic. But from a flow and player point of view, I couldn’t help but hear Jack Danger’s whispered side comment, “I’m a Pro guy”. If you like intricacy and engineering, Pre/Le look great. If you like fast furious nonstop liquid flow, seems like the Pro is an amazing package. Gotta play them to decide though, although not an option on the LE.

#4745 5 years ago

I think the imitator Paul Lynde callouts are a nice touch. Is Marilyn's voice from the actress or an imitator?

#4746 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Do you really think the lower playfield will stay fun though? I really hope that i get to play the premium and see for myself if i think the lower playfield is something that i would enjoy long term. Right now im thinking its used way too much and that it will become boring.

Hard to say at this stage. Personally, I love Stewie mini pinball so I think I’ll like this one too. Some people hate stewie pinball though; personally, I owned FGY for 4+ years, and tweaking the settings in stewie making it harder to achieve and complete made all the difference in the world. For Munsters, The mini pf doesn’t seem to be overly used...

+ skill shot (player selectable) so you don’t have to go for it.
+ grandpa level 1
+ Munster madness

That’s it until you get to the level 2 sequences. However, I don’t know what happens if you complete, or not complete rather, the mini pf - can you play it again before Munster madness?

#4747 5 years ago

All fan layout games are pretty much the same. You can only do so much. You are buying the theme and the different rules. Stern has added some different features that the W/B fan layouts didn't have along with way better rules. I would sell my MM and buy one of the newer Stern games but my MM will still be standing when the new Sterns are in the dumpster.

#4748 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Combine this with a gaping hole in the playfield and the color LE looks very cramped. The B&W alleviates this a bit.
On that note - who cares if it copies AC/DC? Stern has realized by this point ya'll are just buying it for the art and nostalgia anyway.

Agreed. Compare this to something like Tron and tell me that you can look at the playfield and can see at a glance where all the inserts are and what shots are likely to involve them..

stern-pfs (resized).jpgstern-pfs (resized).jpg

As said though it doesn't seem to matter because people appear to be happy to buy any new Stern pin because it's a) new and b) vaguely nostalgic.

#4749 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Agreed. Compare this to something like Tron and tell me that you can look at the table and tell me that you can see at a glance where all the inserts are and what shots are likely to involve them..

There's another thread with a guy asking advice how to fix Scared Stiff inserts. Lots of close up shots. Reminded me of how "cleaner" playfields used to be.

It's a visual trick Stern is using - busy up the artwork so you don't notice how empty the games have become.

#4750 5 years ago

I like flipping new pins, and this is a new pin. I like flipping mini pf’s, I own a FGy. The fun of playing on both playfields at the same time is what made FGy a blast for me and is why I own it. I always wished for more full scale features on Stewie mini pf and so we get Multiball, VUK, a bash, a ramp, a timer..., not too deep rules that get you to the fun quickly without having to Rule the Universe, or Rock a bunch of Monsters before the action really takes off. We will see where the cracks in the rules are and they will (maybe eventually) patch them. I will flip one in Texas and see how I feel about it then, but from watching the stream, I want the lower pf because I like them. So that puts me +1 for Premium, or ++1 on a secondary market LE after someone gets “bored” with the lower pf. Ymmv (@who-dey, give it a flip when you can, the mini pf might grow on you )

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 175.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/95 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.