(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 164.
#8101 5 years ago
Quoted from Zavadoza:

Lots of Premiums at TPF

That car would make a killer topper.

#8102 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Prolly has incandescent headlights tho

#8103 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

What is your personal opinion of the black and white now that you've seen it in person? Better than you thought it would be or worse?

Ooh!

Love those B&W Premiums! They look...well, dark.

#8104 5 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Ooh!
Love those B&W Premiums! They look...well, dark.

The lights are off. It pops. I saw a b&w TZ at expo last yr and knew this would look better in person than the pics as well.

#8105 5 years ago

Wow, makes me almost want to hop on a plane to Texas tomorrow so I can check out those Munster Premiums close up!

#8106 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Probably squash the pin though.

rd

#8107 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Looks like a bunch of premiums are at the Texas pinball show...

There are a ton of Munsters here in general, Marco has premiums and pros set up. Premium looks cool.

#8108 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

What is your personal opinion of the black and white now that you've seen it in person? Better than you thought it would be or worse?

I got to unbox my Munsters Premium last night at the TPF show . The back and white looks awesome. Especially when it's powered up. Beautiful game and something a little different to add to the collection.

#8109 5 years ago

Premium backglases looks miles better than the LE.

Large characters, all doing unique things that match the show instead of sitting on a car and waving.

#8110 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Premium backglases looks miles better than the LE.
Large characters, all doing unique things that match the show instead of sitting on a car and waving.

Agreed. There's also no getting over the fact that the Munster family in their Koach looks remarkably similar to the Beverly Hillbillies in their truck. Who wants a $9K Munsters game that's constantly reminding them of the Beverly Hillbillies?

Stern's Next '60s Game?Stern's Next '60s Game?

#8111 5 years ago

Nah - not even close. Munster Koach is cool.

A Hillbillies pin could be a good pin though.

#8112 5 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

Agreed. There's also no getting over the fact that the Munster family in their Koach looks remarkably similar to the Beverly Hillbillies in their truck. Who wants a $9K Munsters game that's constantly reminding them of the Beverly Hillbillies?
[quoted image]

Put your glasses on.

#8113 5 years ago

It's also very weird the car is pointed left (bad) and down (also bad)

Then again, had they drawn a dynamic and interesting new piece of art with the car... It would just be Rob Zombie LE

#8114 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Put your glasses on.

I can see just fine. I'm saying that the Munsters hanging off of various parts of their hotrod is not unlike the Clampetts hanging out of their jalopy truck, not that Lily looks anything like Granny. LOL!

Quoted from benheck:

It's also very weird the car is pointed left (bad) and down (also bad)

Franchi copied an existing publicity still of the Munsters family in their Koach.

Munsters Koach (resized).pngMunsters Koach (resized).png

#8115 5 years ago
Quoted from ronlisa:

I got to unbox my Munsters Premium last night at the TPF show . The back and white looks awesome. Especially when it's powered up. Beautiful game and something a little different to add to the collection.

Congrats. I've had the chance to play the LE on a couple of different occasions now and just love it. It's family-friendly and just plain good ole' fun in a new game package. Any new game is too rich for my blood, but I'll be looking for a used one. The Premium looks absolutely awesome.

1 week later
#8116 4 years ago
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpegDD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
#8117 4 years ago

No one cares anymore because there's a new Stern pin on the horizon. Such is the cycle of "ooh shiny".

#8118 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

No one cares anymore because there's a new Stern pin on the horizon. Such is the cycle of "ooh shiny".

I'm still keen to see people's Premiums, which should spark this thread up again.

I just spent my MUN $ on a BM66 due to well mentioned MUN base code however im still keen to see the Prem and hear owner's thoughts as I may revisit a purchase down the track IF code develops.

#8119 4 years ago

And I'm also looking at the new shiny game and it's thread with huge interest....

#8120 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The "new normal"...highly unlikely Stern will exchange. If you can "feel the bumps", you'd think it would affect the ball path (ever so slightly). Mylar can also have minor impact on ball travel, and I'd imagine the bumps aren't as noticeable.
I'd push your distributor to push Stern for a populated PF swap (i.e. a PF with all the mechs installed). Maybe the success of Munsters will help motivate Stern to "do the right thing" for you.

So its been a few weeks, but Stern stepped up and is sending an advanced replacement Play-field, with paid return shipping! after I told my distributor, stern had a lightning quick response! At first they were not sending it in advance, but with a little push back from my distributor, stern stepped up! Shout out to Colorado Game Exchange!
I do have the machine on location at my local sandwich shop, but its the only newer game I own so I definitely want to keep it in perfect playing shape!

#8121 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaketime81:

So its been a few weeks, but Stern stepped up and is sending an advanced replacement Play-field, with paid return shipping! after I told my distributor, stern had a lightning quick response! At first they were not sending it in advance, but with a little push back from my distributor, stern stepped up! Shout out to Colorado Game Exchange!
I do have the machine on location at my local sandwich shop, but its the only newer game I own so I definitely want to keep it in perfect playing shape!

What's the deal with replacement playfields from Stern, do they come fully populated or are you expected to strip it yourself or get someone to do it?

#8122 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaketime81:

Great news! Glad you were taken care of...

#8123 4 years ago

Anyone else in on a Premium? Still no word on my end... I’m slowly losing interest.

#8124 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Anyone else in on a Premium? Still no word on my end... I’m slowly losing interest.

trust me once i played it at TPF I lost interest fast!

#8125 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

I just set mine up last nite and i love it! One big thing that you need to do is set the lower playfield flippers to soft because it makes it feel so much better and makes it a lot more fun. I didnt like how it felt with the settings it came with from the factory at all. I love it and have zero regrets with my purchase. The game is great fun.

#8126 4 years ago

Just set up our Prem Munsters at Lyons Classic Pinball. Looks great and plays great!

#8127 4 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

I have one being delivered today.

#8128 4 years ago

I get my Premium next Tuesday.

#8129 4 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

I get my Premium next Tuesday.

Congrats Mike, you will love it.

#8130 4 years ago

The hype is real folks, this game is the total package! Anyone that passes this game up because a few people saying it sucks is making a big mistake!

#8131 4 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/77845

Good deal on a NIB Premium if anyone is still looking!

#8132 4 years ago

Funny how the hype dies out immediately as soon as a new pin is seen. Black Knight, and now Wonka. People (some, not all) just lose their minds and all sense of perspective when it comes to new stuff being announced.

There has been less than one page of "hype" posts for Munsters in the last month... That speaks volumes to people's attention spans in my opinion.

Is hype a damaging thing for new pins, or is it just that it's natural that people want to get excited for the latest, greatest pin and that it's ultimately harmless?

#8133 4 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Funny how the hype dies out immediately as soon as a new pin is seen. Black Knight, and now Wonka. People (some, not all) just lose their minds and all sense of perspective when it comes to new stuff being announced.
There has been less than one page of "hype" posts for Munsters in the last month... That speaks volumes to people's attention spans in my opinion.
Is hype a damaging thing for new pins, or is it just that it's natural that people want to get excited for the latest, greatest pin and that it's ultimately harmless?

No need for hype once a pin is available and people can see it, play it and decide for themselves.

#8134 4 years ago

We crave novelty
It’s in our DNA

#8135 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

No need for hype once a pin is available and people can see it, play it and decide for themselves.

i see many munsters for sale. le pre and pro, i know there are alot of new toys but this is still not a good sign.

#8136 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

i see many munsters for sale. le pre and pro, i know there are alot of new toys but this is still not a good sign.

Agree. It has more to do with the depth of code than anything else. Some are upgrading from Pros to Premiums, but it seems like there is a fair amount of concern about longevity in a collection and the quick exits from collections are more than normal flipping.

Assuming there is no significant code update the next 4-6 months will give us an idea if Munsters is a true hit or a could have been that benefited from early sales and a theme so many wanted to see succeed.

#8137 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

What are the numbers?

#8138 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

This game sold well ao there are going to be more games for sale compared to a title like say AS. Lots of pro owners also are upgrading to premiums. This game is great fun and it does have longevity imo. I will never sell mine i guarantee it. I like it that much.

#8139 4 years ago

Who-Dey, I love your enthusiasm for this game. Different Strokes for different folks I guess. I have played all three models, I'm very disappointed as this was a dream theme for me! This game will never compete with TWD!

#8140 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Some are upgrading from Pros to Premiums, but it seems like there is a fair amount of concern about longevity in a collection and the quick exits from collections are more than normal flipping.

I’ve heard quite a few people I know that purchased a Pro say that they were not happy with it, and either looked to sell pretty quickly or upgraded to a Prem or LE.

#8141 4 years ago

This is a very good game. I absolutely love it and will be adding it to my collection. Of course it's not for everybody - ever play a "top ten" game and come away dissapointed? I've found that it's best to buy what you like and forget what others think. Thats not to say the others are wrong just that some people like some games and some others. I love my Aerosmith because it's clean. simple, rewarding. Some like a game that has upper and lower playfields and a deep rule set. That's certainly OK . Whatever floats your boat.

#8142 4 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

This is a very good game. I absolutely love it and will be adding it to my collection. Of course it's not for everybody - ever play a "top ten" game and come away dissapointed? I've found that it's best to buy what you like and forget what others think. Thats not to say the others are wrong just that some people like some games and some others. I love my Aerosmith because it's clean. simple, rewarding. Some like a game that has upper and lower playfields and a deep rule set. That's certainly OK . Whatever floats your boat.

5 of the top 10 I do not like.

#8143 4 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Who-Dey, I love your enthusiasm for this game. Different Strokes for different folks I guess. I have played all three models, I'm very disappointed as this was a dream theme for me! This game will never compete with TWD!

When you played the games did you actually understand the rules a little bit though or were you just flipping around? Once you understand the way the jackpots work and start shooting for them it gets pretty addicting. Its definitely not deep but its still a lot of fun i think.

#8144 4 years ago

Just saw the first Pro for sale under $5k at $4800. Pretty sure it’s the TPF raffle winner but it’s disappointing to see all these Pros for sale so quickly and the $5k line being broken so soon.

I have a sad feeling that Stern doesn’t have much more time for Munsters sales and that if Elvira 3 comes out this fall as expected that will further cannibalize sales since I expect the two games will appeal to the same buyers and Elvira certainly won’t have shallow code with Lyman at the helm.

#8145 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Just saw the first Pro for sale under $5k at $4800. Pretty sure it’s the TPF raffle winner but it’s disappointing to see all these Pros for sale so quickly and the $5k line being broken so soon.
I have a sad feeling that Stern doesn’t have much more time for Munsters sales and that if Elvira 3 comes out this fall as expected that will further cannibalize sales since I expect the two games will appeal to the same buyers and Elvira certainly won’t have shallow code with Lyman at the helm.

There have actually been 3-4 for under 5k...

#8146 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

There have actually been 3-4 for under 5k...

Damn. That sucks.

#8147 4 years ago

Typically not a fan of Stern games, but loved playing the Premium at MGC. Enjoyed the blend of shots and the game flowed well. I really expected the mini play field to be lame and was pleasantly surprised that it added a fun challenge that transcended novelty. Not passionate about the theme, though it was integrated well into the game. On the fence about buying one given all of the new pins in the market...

#8148 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Damn. That sucks.

Pros often sell for under 5k a few weeks after release.

#8149 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

There is certainly no guarantee that Elvira will be as good as Munsters is. Maybe code wise but definitely not design wise. John Borg is awesome and he did a fantastic job on Munsters. I also suspect that most of the people who like horror themes will probably want both of these games in their collections along with Monster Bash as well, i know that i definitely do.

As far as resale value goes i could care less. I dont buy games to sell them and if i do i realize that im going to lose a little money. The Munsters is one of Sterns best games ever in my opinion and its really a shame that it is receiving so much hate because it damn sure doesn't deserve it. Most of the negative bullshit is coming from people that dont have a fucking clue and are nothing but haters wanting to shit on Stern and the people who own this great game. Its the kind of shit that makes me mad about this site.

If its a bad game and it deserves the hate then thats one thing but if its not people seriously need to shut up because they are ruining this hobby. The Munsters is a good game people and Stern put a lot of work into this title. It sucks that a bunch of Pinside babies have to do this to this game.

#8150 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

There is certainly no guarantee that Elvira will be as good as Munsters is. Maybe code wise but definitely not design wise. John Borg is awesome and he did a fantastic job on Munsters. I also suspect that most of the people who like horror themes will probably want both of these games in their collections along with Monster Bash as well, i know that i definitely do.
As far as resale value goes i could care less. I dont buy games to sell them and if i do i realize that im going to lose a little money. The Munsters is one of Sterns best games ever in my opinion and its really a shame that it is receiving so much hate because it damn sure doesn't deserve it. Most of the negative bullshit is coming from people that dont have a fucking clue and are nothing but haters wanting to shit on Stern and the people who own this great game. Its the kind of shit that makes me mad about this site.
If its a bad game and it deserves the hate then thats one thing but if its not people seriously need to shut up because they are ruining this hobby. The Munsters is a good game people and Stern put a lot of work into this title. It sucks that a bunch of Pinside babies have to do this to this game.

Much of the handwringing on Munsters is not coming from Stern haters but from Munsters fans that really wanted the game to be a success but are concerned that the code is too dumbed down for a modern game. Fun layout (except for the stupid monotargets and lack of drop targets), fantastic ramps and good/great art packages.

And yet you trash the Elvira design before you even see it to make Munsters look better? Come on. You have fanboy blinders on and that is just as bad as those that hate for the sake of hating. Bullshit is bad whether it’s positive or negative.

Like you, I don’t worry about the resale value of my games because I’m a buy and hold type. But resale concerns me as part of the overall market and as an indicator of how well a particular title is received because that will determine what level of resource Stern will put into a game post-release. That’s especially important to me for games I want (like Munsters). Yes, I’m sure there will be some that buy both Munsters and Elvira. But more will have to choose one or the other because of money and/or space.

For me, it should have been easy because I like the Munsters theme a lot more than Elvira. I’m upset not because of what Munsters is today but that it almost certainly will not become what it could have/should have been. And Stern has telegraphed pretty clearly that what we see now is pretty much it which means a Munsters Premium in my game room has gone from a certain lock to less than a 50/50 proposition.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens
Shooter rods
$ 49.99
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Mishawaka, IN
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 39.00
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 163 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/163?hl=guss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.