(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 156 of 164.
#7751 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I've had MET Premium, KISS LE, Maiden Pro and now AC/DC Luci.
Of them all, I'd rank them...
AC/DC
Metallica
Maiden
Kiss
I wanted to throw AC/DC off a cliff day 1, but then I realized I was just "spoiled" with Maiden. AC/DC is tough and just so much fun. Makes you a better player.
Maiden is a super forgiving shooter. Every game was a good length and I'd get pretty far, but all games started to be the same. If you like shooting loops, Maiden is the best. Code is excellent for it as well.
Met is a notch above. There's a lot more ways to attack the machine, then for CIU modes, you have to play the way the machine tells you. (Still there is a lot of bashing to get to CIU modes).
Kiss. Ah, I love Kiss the band. Have my tix for this summer. The game shoots ok (Aerosmith copy) but there are some things that bug me. The scoop is WAY too tight (cliffy makes it worse too). The Demon lock sucks when it malfunctions. Just a big pain which for me would work sometimes and sometimes wouldn't. Overall, I don't think Kiss is all that interesting to play though. It's cool that wizard modes are all achievable with the new code. I reached them all several times. Maybe that's when it really lost its appeal. The new code REALLY made it easier for me and I didn't necessarily want that.

I own all these games as well and largely agree with your ranking/appraisal.

I think KISS shoots *way better* than AS (which I sold fairly recently). I took the cliffy off the scoop...plays much better (in a home environment, the damage to the scoop is minimal). My Demon lock works 100%. The levitating ball works 70% of the time.

AC/DC is a classic...the "song jackpot" is just awesome. Not really a fan of the lower PF...I work around them by avoiding the hell songs

#7752 5 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

I'm perfectly okay with the laugh track. I guess the one issue that really bugs me is the amateurish use of fonts on the LCD display. The control panel artwork and TV show clips are all fine. But the fonts are a travesty. Too many variations, none of which really look like they belong, and all are difficult to read. The Dragula race sequence may actually be the worst, but it all looks like someone was overdue on turning in their work and we ended up with a bunch of awful looking placeholders. Look at The Beatles, in comparison, where you've got nice, big readouts for all of the points and your total score. Even The Munsters' Game Over scores are difficult to see and read. Didn't Franchi oversee this whole project art-wise? You'd think he'd be embarrassed by the fonts.

No, I did not oversee anything for the LCD screen. They plucked some art from my work on the playfield, cabs and backglass/translights, but that’s it. I only worked on LCD screen work for The Beatles, along with the very talented Eric Drucker.

#7753 5 years ago
42687128-8A7F-44E4-9643-1C9A2F6F6066 (resized).jpeg42687128-8A7F-44E4-9643-1C9A2F6F6066 (resized).jpegB289FD8E-FA1E-4392-8888-65933848F76B (resized).jpegB289FD8E-FA1E-4392-8888-65933848F76B (resized).jpeg
#7754 5 years ago

This is the most beautiful pinball I’ve ever seen god this thing is insane
Plus sounds and lighting someone deserves a raise just incredible

#7755 5 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

This is the most beautiful pinball I’ve ever seen god this thing is insane
Plus sounds and lighting someone deserves a raise just incredible

Congratulations, We still have approx another 3 to 4 weeks to wait for ours to land here.

#7756 5 years ago

Super pumped, I recived my first new in box machine today a Munsters Pro! I noticed a flaw in the clear coat on the sides and bottom of the munster madness insert. It looks like the insert sank down and during the clear coating process or something, and has a ugly ripple effect and bump in the clear. It is visually noticable while shinning a light on it or looking at it with a light reflection, as seen in the photo. I can also feel the bumps while rubbing my finger over it. It does not seem like it affects the ball rolling over it durring game play but I only have about 20 games on it. Im not sure if this is normal or if I am just being to picky and should not worry about it. I have it set up at my shop under giant strips of tube lights, once I take it home it will be in a darker environment. What do you guys think?

E27E7419-4F0B-44C6-91E5-233206DC5A98 (resized).jpegE27E7419-4F0B-44C6-91E5-233206DC5A98 (resized).jpeg399454D1-B751-44C6-8C3D-D6662CD828A3 (resized).jpeg399454D1-B751-44C6-8C3D-D6662CD828A3 (resized).jpeg4D05B4AD-4F34-4FB5-B79C-C3F5B8C7135D (resized).jpeg4D05B4AD-4F34-4FB5-B79C-C3F5B8C7135D (resized).jpeg7072029C-0B9D-4127-A7DC-C420726ECF3F (resized).jpeg7072029C-0B9D-4127-A7DC-C420726ECF3F (resized).jpeg
#7757 5 years ago

I wouldn't accept this if it was on my LE when it arrives.
I would ask for an exchange.

operators wouldn't give too hoots about this, but as a home owner I do.

#7758 5 years ago
Quoted from Jaketime81:

Super pumped, I recived my first new in box machine today a Munsters Pro! I noticed a flaw in the clear coat on the sides and bottom of the munster madness insert. It looks like the insert sank down and during the clear coating process or something, and has a ugly ripple effect and bump in the clear. It is visually noticable while shinning a light on it or looking at it with a light reflection, as seen in the photo. I can also feel the bumps while rubbing my finger over it. It does not seem like it affects the ball rolling over it durring game play but I only have about 20 games on it. Im not sure if this is normal or if I am just being to picky and should not worry about it. I have it set up at my shop under giant strips of tube lights, once I take it home it will be in a darker environment. What do you guys think?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If it starts chipping then u have issues but id bet that it will be ok.

#7759 5 years ago
Quoted from Jaketime81:

Super pumped, I recived my first new in box machine today a Munsters Pro! I noticed a flaw in the clear coat on the sides and bottom of the munster madness insert. It looks like the insert sank down and during the clear coating process or something, and has a ugly ripple effect and bump in the clear. It is visually noticable while shinning a light on it or looking at it with a light reflection, as seen in the photo. I can also feel the bumps while rubbing my finger over it. It does not seem like it affects the ball rolling over it durring game play but I only have about 20 games on it. Im not sure if this is normal or if I am just being to picky and should not worry about it. I have it set up at my shop under giant strips of tube lights, once I take it home it will be in a darker environment. What do you guys think?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Definitley not OK on a new game if you ask me.
That area will have premature wear down the road.

#7760 5 years ago

Not acceptable, shouldn't have passed QC. Just because you're "only" buying a Pro it shouldn't mean you end up with a "silver" grade playfield.

If there is a perceptible ridge there then the ball will wear against it.

#7761 5 years ago
Quoted from Jaketime81:

Super pumped, I recived my first new in box machine today a Munsters Pro! I noticed a flaw in the clear coat on the sides and bottom of the munster madness insert. It looks like the insert sank down and during the clear coating process or something, and has a ugly ripple effect and bump in the clear. It is visually noticable while shinning a light on it or looking at it with a light reflection, as seen in the photo. I can also feel the bumps while rubbing my finger over it. It does not seem like it affects the ball rolling over it durring game play but I only have about 20 games on it. Im not sure if this is normal or if I am just being to picky and should not worry about it. I have it set up at my shop under giant strips of tube lights, once I take it home it will be in a darker environment. What do you guys think?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wouldn’t accept that at all.

#7762 5 years ago
Quoted from Jaketime81:

The "new normal"...highly unlikely Stern will exchange. If you can "feel the bumps", you'd think it would affect the ball path (ever so slightly). Mylar can also have minor impact on ball travel, and I'd imagine the bumps aren't as noticeable.

I'd push your distributor to push Stern for a populated PF swap (i.e. a PF with all the mechs installed). Maybe the success of Munsters will help motivate Stern to "do the right thing" for you.

#7763 5 years ago

I wouldn’t accept that. That playfield should’ve been a factory second. QC miss.

I’m sure you didn’t pay a factory second price.

If it follows the Ghostbusters path, you'll need to go to your distributor with extensive photos. They'll then have to go to Stern. Stern will then have to evaluate and come back with a decision.

#7764 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The "new normal"...highly unlikely Stern will exchange. If you can "feel the bumps", you'd think it would affect the ball path (ever so slightly). Mylar can also have minor impact on ball travel, and I'd imagine the bumps aren't as noticeable.
I'd push your distributor to push Stern for a populated PF swap (i.e. a PF with all the mechs installed). Maybe the success of Munsters will help motivate Stern to "do the right thing" for you.

I dont think this is the new normal and Stern has always replaced defective playfields as far as i know. Im sure there will be one or two people chime in and say they didnt replace theirs but they have in fact replaced many many defective playfields and they stand behind their games very well.

#7765 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont think this is the new normal and Stern has always replaced defective playfields as far as i know. Im sure there will be one or two people chime in and say they didnt replace theirs but they have in fact replaced many many defective playfields and they stand behind their games very well.

Fully agree. Stern is a first class pinball manufacturer. I had a play field issue and they replaced with no trouble at all. I trust Stern to do the right thing. QC is a tough issue because humans can miss seeing things. But Stern stands behind their product and will make it right. I went through my stellar Distributor AMD which is also tops in the business and can be trusted.

#7766 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I've been a Stern NIB customers since 2004 and I disagree with you. Stern does stand behind their games, however on "aesthetic" issues, it's always subjective.

Here is a post I made regarding my IMDN PF: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/10#post-4450797

Hard to know if my IMDN PF is comparable with the case above, but Stern did nothing (and both my distributor and I have great relationships with Stern).

These are hand-built games and not every example is going to be aesthetically perfect. If the issue effects gameplay, I am certain Stern will take care of the issue.

#7767 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've been a Stern NIB customers since 2004 and I disagree with you. Stern does stand behind their games, however on "aesthetic" issues, it's always subjective.
Here is a post I made regarding my IMDN PF: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/iron-maiden-issues/page/10#post-4450797
Hard to know if my IMDN PF is comparable with the case above, but Stern did nothing (and both my distributor and I have great relationships with Stern).
These are hand-built games and not every example is going to be aesthetically perfect. If the issue effects gameplay, I am certain Stern will take care of the issue.

I can see where Stern wouldn't replace your Iron Maiden playfield as it appears to be planking which occurs on a lot of games. The issue posted here with the bubbles around the Munster Madness insert is unacceptable and hopefully Stern sends a full populated playfield to the buyer or exchanges the game.

#7768 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I can see where Stern wouldn't replace your Iron Maiden playfield as it appears to be planking which occurs on a lot of games. The issue posted here with the bubbles around the Munster Madness insert is unacceptable and hopefully Stern sends a full populated playfield to the buyer or exchanges the game.

It's actually not planking, since the clear is 100% in tact and smooth. My IMDN is simply a poorly sanded PF (the new normal). Not trying to argue, but planking is more serious defect (and more common on older games). I have a gorgeous TZ that has some minor planking (which was very common for that title).

I hope you are correct and Stern takes care of the game above!

#7769 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

My MET is like that also. I dont like it but you really dont notice it either unless you're in perfect lighting conditions. I dont necessarily think (in my case at least) it warrants a new playfield but its definitely a problem that they should address. The bubbles on the munsters game isnt acceptable though. No way a company can be 100% perfect when you ship out as many games as they do. I believe they will take care of him with the issue he has.

You gotta realize that they get tons of calls for playfield replacements from people who are being way too picky. They tell them no and that person blast it all over pinside that Stern gave them a bad playfield and wont make it right when they were just being to picky in the first place.

#7770 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

My MET is like that also. I dont like it but you really dont notice it either unless you're in perfect lighting conditions. I dont necessarily think (in my case at least) it warrants a new playfield but its definitely a problem that they should address. The bubbles on the munsters game isnt acceptable though. No way a company can be 100% perfect when you ship out as many games as they do. I believe they will take care of him with the issue he has.
You gotta realize that they get tons of calls for playfield replacements from people who are being way too picky. They tell them no and that person blast it all over pinside that Stern gave them a bad playfield and wont make it right when they were just being to picky in the first place.

I agree...that's why I didn't push too hard on my IMDN. From the players perspective, it looks fine. Other Pinsiders thought I should have pushed harder, but I consulted with my distributor and he said the wood grain was on his personal machine as well.

The only PF swap that I've ever had to do is for AC/DC Premium...I had one of the early "cloudy" windows and several other aesthetic issues with the PF. Stern and my distributor swapped it out.

Quoted from Squizz:

I wouldn't accept this if it was on my LE when it arrives.
I would ask for an exchange.
operators wouldn't give too hoots about this, but as a home owner I do.

Wouldn't it be great if Stern "marked" the less-than-perfect PF's and tried to make sure operators got them? As you say, they wouldn't care about minor imperfections. Collectors get more freaked out by aesthetic imperfections...

#7771 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I agree...that's why I didn't push too hard on my IMDN. From the players perspective, it looks fine. Other Pinsiders thought I should have pushed harder, but I consulted with my distributor and he said the wood grain was on his personal machine as well.
The only PF swap that I've ever had to do is for AC/DC Premium...I had one of the early "cloudy" windows and several other aesthetic issues with the PF. Stern and my distributor swapped it out.

Wouldn't it be great if Stern "marked" the less-than-perfect PF's and tried to make sure operators got them? As you say, they wouldn't care about minor imperfections. Collectors get more freaked out by aesthetic imperfections...

How about for 8k they not sell PFs that aren't perfect. I would never stop bitching but good luck getting Stern to make good on it.

#7772 5 years ago

Played only a few games today on the first Munsters Pro in Australia, first impressions:

Was really trying to find all the negative aspects written about on this forum, but couldn’t really find them. The table is a Stern gem.

Artwork: Beautiful and a joy to see one of my favorite themes from a show represented so well. Other companies tables don’t look this good. Meaning, most use clip art, instead of paying for full blown artwork like Stern does.

LCD: Lots of integrated video that puts you right into Mocking Bird Lane. The feel of the show is well represented and the Munsters theme shines. Hope Stern puts lots of different video on additional levels that I’ve not experienced yet. There is so much more video I’m hoping Dewight adds from the show, like Lyman did for Batman.

Game layout: Flow is spot on (no pun intended - lol) and really works well, with all shots exposed for trapped balls to hit off flippers. Like the kitty shot next to Herman. The ramps are innovative and work so well. Even without hitting the ball hard, right ramp 180 is makable at slower speed. Best of all, targets at the end of the ramps, so goodbye nasty bricks. This is a fan layout of course, but has its own unique feel. Borg nailed this one better than the video streams reveal. It has the all important kinetic feel to the shots.

Mono targets are fine, even if drop targets would have been nice, but might look odd to have Lilly drop and Dragula otherwise. They work well with the flow of the game. Dragula is a nice touch and makes for interesting flow. Could use more video variety although for dragula sequences.

Toys: Missing an important toy in the middle, meaning grandpas basement. However, if you didn’t know about the basement, then the play is still good without it. Herman bash toy moves well and fun to hit. Wish for another mechanical toy, but spot under the stairs is fun too. Grandpa’s lab has an additional bash toy that might help satisfy. Could have had raven as an interactive toy. Maybe they’ll do that with a topper.

Lights: Love the light show and was worried about green flashing, hoping Dwight will program a way to tone them down by menu adjustments. Heard even brighter flashing on B&W, which I’d be buying.

Music and call outs: Can it get any better than Munsters theme and associated show series music? Paul Lynn call out sounding voice is quite nice. Other callouts from Munsters family is so good too.

Munsters is a four player party game, if there ever was one. Stern needs to amp up game depth a bit for the one player experience to last in a home environment. I’ve always liked MB, but think Munsters edges it out and seems like a lot more to it with LCD theme integration.

Overall this table is not boring as a few suggest and would fit nicely in any home, as long as Dwight continues to improve the code depth. Needs some wizard type modes to go along with the fab table and theme. The flow is so nice that it feels good to shoot. It has that one more play feel to it, with plenty to shoot and hit. For a pro it feels packed. Looked at other pros near it and they don’t seem as good a deal. Stern makes the best tables as the table quality shows. Upped their game making better now than the competition. Didn’t see dimpling per say, but then again it was dark in the place I played it. Pro table is a good buy!

#7773 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Played only a few games today on the first Munsters Pro in Australia, first impressions:
Was really trying to find all the negative aspects written about on this forum, but couldn’t really find them. The table is a Stern gem.
Artwork: Beautiful and a joy to see one of my favorite themes from a show represented so well. Other companies tables don’t look this good. Meaning, most use clip art, instead of paying for full blown artwork like Stern does.
LCD: Lots of integrated video that puts you right into Mocking Bird Lane. The feel of the show is well represented and the Munsters theme shines. Hope Stern puts lots of different video on additional levels that I’ve not experienced yet. There is so much more video I’m hoping Dewight adds from the show, like Lyman did for Batman.
Game layout: Flow is spot on (no pun intended - lol) and really works well, with all shots exposed for trapped balls to hit off flippers. Like the kitty shot next to Herman. The ramps are innovative and work so well. Even without hitting the ball hard, right ramp 180 is makable at slower speed. Best of all, targets at the end of the ramps, so goodbye nasty bricks. This is a fan layout of course, but has its own unique feel. Borg nailed this one better than the video streams reveal. It has the all important kinetic feel to the shots.
Mono targets are fine, even if drop targets would have been nice, but might look odd to have Lilly drop and Dragula otherwise. They work well with the flow of the game. Dragula is a nice touch and makes for interesting flow. Could use more video variety although for dragula sequences.
Toys: Missing an important toy in the middle, meaning grandpas basement. However, if you didn’t know about the basement, then the play is still good without it. Herman bash toy moves well and fun to hit. Wish for another mechanical toy, but spot under the stairs is fun too. Grandpa’s lab has an additional bash toy that might help satisfy. Could have had raven as an interactive toy. Maybe they’ll do that with a topper.
Lights: Love the light show and was worried about green flashing, hoping Dwight will program a way to tone them down by menu adjustments. Heard even brighter flashing on B&W, which I’d be buying.
Music and call outs: Can it get any better than Munsters theme and associated show series music? Paul Lynn call out sounding voice is quite nice. Other callouts from Munsters family is so good too.
Munsters is a four player party game, if there ever was one. Stern needs to amp up game depth a bit for the one player experience to last in a home environment. I’ve always liked MB, but think Munsters edges it out and seems like a lot more to it with LCD theme integration.
Overall this table is not boring as a few suggest and would fit nicely in any home, as long as Dwight continues to improve the code depth. Needs some wizard type modes to go along with the fab table and theme. The flow is so nice that it feels good to shoot. It has that one more play feel to it, with plenty to shoot and hit. For a pro it feels packed. Looked at other pros near it and they don’t seem as good a deal. Stern makes the best tables as the table quality shows. Upped their game making better now than the competition. Didn’t see dimpling per say, but then again it was dark in the place I played it. Pro table is a good buy!

Great review !
Thank you !

#7774 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Played only a few games today on the first Munsters Pro in Australia...

...Overall this table is not boring as a few suggest and would fit nicely in any home, as long as Dwight continues to improve the code depth.

Almost NO games are boring when you play only a few games. It's all awesome when it's shiny and new. Play a dozen games and it's crystal clear how little code is in the game and how dull that makes it over time.

I *hope* Dwight fixes the code direction, but historically that's a huge question mark for his games.

#7775 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Almost NO games are boring when you play only a few games. It's all awesome when it's shiny and new. Play a dozen games and it's crystal clear how little code is in the game and how dull that makes it over time.
I *hope* Dwight fixes the code direction, but historically that's a huge question mark for his games.

Played maybe 75 games on mine and I love it. I guess I must be slow or stupid.

#7776 5 years ago

If your want to see more in the code, just use the email address below. Bitching on pinside only goes so far. More emails to Stern gets results- see below.

Remember to give them details and examples of what you are thinking - something they can improve! Not just bitching.

See example below- example from Deadpool submitted only 2 days ago to Stern!

2A2299FA-B295-47AB-B103-2CDD24F6D58B (resized).png2A2299FA-B295-47AB-B103-2CDD24F6D58B (resized).png
#7777 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Stop whinging far out

#7778 5 years ago
Quoted from vex:

Played maybe 75 games on mine and I love it. I guess I must be slow or stupid.

I never said people who love it are dumb, don't put words in my mouth.

People who are into the jackpot and multiplier-stacking focus will love it. People who like to bat the ball around will really like it, too. But if you're into mode-based play with varied objectives and tightly theme-integrated gameplay you likely be disappointed over time.

#7779 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

People who like to bat the ball around will really like it, too. But if you're into mode-based play with varied objectives and tightly theme-integrated gameplay you likely be disappointed over time.

I'm still so "on the fence", waiting for Premiums to land in Oz in May/June.

I will only have / can only fit 4 in collection.
Want 4 fairly different games in PF design, shots and play

Currently own DP and IMDN Premiums.
Tough deep games with tight shots but differing layouts, both unique.

Hope to get a BM66 for a more open PF but deep play.

So maybe a simple , not too deep ( could change over time ), open game like MUN will sit beautifully in that small group and offer different play to others. Also having that lower PF would be another point of difference in a small collection

#7780 5 years ago

Any news on premiums? Figured we would start hearing dates by now.

#7781 5 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

So maybe a simple , not too deep ( could change over time ), open game like MUN will sit beautifully in that small group and offer different play to others. Also having that lower PF would be another point of difference in a small collection

On route it's doing really well with casuals so far, but we won't really know its long term earnings viability until a couple months after we swap the Pro out for the Premium one (likely later this month when they're shipping). First 2-3 months can be great for a new pin then drop off a cliff once everyone's sampled it if it doesn't have legs.

#7782 5 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

Dude don’t even trip the premium on this is SICK!!! Get it!!!

#7783 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Nice review Thunderbird! This game is a fantastic game as ive been saying all along. I dont understand all the hate by a select few on here but i guess you can't please everyone.

This game isnt anything new or anything that we haven't seen before, its a typical John Borg game petty much. Its not the best game ever and there are things that i would change about it but that doesn't stop this game from being a awesome game at all.

This game is one of the most beautiful pinball machines ever made and its a lot of fun to play too, and it will get better in time with code updates also. If you like pinball and cant appreciate this pinball machine then honestly i dont even know what to say other than you probably need to find another F'ing hobby because pinball doesnt get much better than the Munsters. This game is amazing!

#7784 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I dont understand all the hate by a select few on here but i guess you can't please everyone.
This game isnt anything new or anything that we haven't seen before, its a typical John Borg game petty much. Its not the best game ever and there are things that i would change about it but that doesn't stop this game from being a awesome game at all.
This game is one of the most beautiful pinball machines ever made and its a lot of fun to play too, and it will get better in time with code updates also. If you like pinball and cant appreciate this pinball machine then honestly i dont even know what to say other than you probably need to find another F'ing hobby because pinball doesnt get much better than the Munsters. This game is amazing!

It's not about hating, it's about making valid points on what may need improvement so that everyone, including you, can appreciate the game long term. If the code is on the shallow side - which a lot of reviewers are reporting - then it should be pointed out so that Stern feel it needs to be fixed. That's a good thing, actually caring rather than hating. The game looks awesome but a lot of people, including myself, are on the fence due to the code and the fact that Stern has been reluctent to improve the code on other titles.

#7785 5 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

It's not about hating, it's about making valid points on what may need improvement so that everyone, including you, can appreciate the game long term. If the code is on the shallow side - which a lot of reviewers are reporting - then it should be pointed out so that Stern feel it needs to be fixed. That's a good thing, actually caring rather than hating. The game looks awesome but a lot of people, including myself, are on the fence due to the code and the fact that Stern has been reluctent to improve the code on other titles.

The game has been out for like one month so give them time. Anyone who buys a NIB game that wants a finished code should definitely buy an older title that has been out for awhile. I dont know if a code can ever be considered finished honestly. Theres always going to be complaints from some people no matter what.

This game is brand new. There are code updates coming. Will they be good enough to satisfy you? Who knows? We go through this same thing with every single game. I wish games shipped on day one with a complete code but thats just not the way it is unfortunately.

#7786 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

People who are into the jackpot and multiplier-stacking focus will love it. People who like to bat the ball around will really like it, too. But if you're into mode-based play with varied objectives and tightly theme-integrated gameplay you likely be disappointed over time.

Exactly...and for me it took roughly 20-30 plays to be disappointed (then my CPU board apparently crapped out, but that's another story).

Jackpots and multipliers are goodness, but they aren't a substitute for more challenging modes/objectives. Achieving MonsterMadness roughly every game is a less-than-great side-effect of the sparse rules/objectives. If the game is so easy that "no default ball save" is a highlighted feature, you know somethings amiss. It's like they realized the game was too easy and said hey, let's remove the ball save to make it more challenging.

Quoted from JayLar:

Exactly...especially true for Munsters owners and long-time Stern supporters (like me), who want the game to be great. My hope is I will get a new CPU board so I can boot the game on Monday and a software update to spice up the modes. If all of us kept our mouths shut, I know nothing would improve.

#7787 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Exactly...and for me it took roughly 20-30 plays to be disappointed (then my CPU board apparently crapped out, but that's another story).
Jackpots and multipliers are goodness, but they aren't a substitute for more challenging modes/objectives. Achieving MonsterMadness roughly every game is a less-than-great side-effect of the sparse rules/objectives. If the game is so easy that "no default ball save" is a highlighted feature, you know somethings amiss. It's like they realized the game was too easy and said hey, let's remove the ball save to make it more challenging.

Exactly...especially true for Munsters owners and long-time Stern supporters (like me), who want the game to be great. My hope is I will get a new CPU board so I can boot the game on Monday and a software update to spice up the modes. If all of us kept our mouths shut, I know nothing would improve.

I'm guessing we'll get the next update on Stern of the Union day next Tuesday.

#7788 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

And then you read CPRs report on grading.
Stern take pride in their business earnings, not their playfields.

#7789 5 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

Open playfield but deep?

Well, that sounds like Hobbit to me, not like Iron Man, Munsters or Batman

#7790 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The game has been out for like one month so give them time. Anyone who buys a NIB game that wants a finished code should definitely buy an older title that has been out for awhile. I dont know if a code can ever be considered finished honestly. Theres always going to be complaints from some people no matter what.
This game is brand new. There are code updates coming. Will they be good enough to satisfy you? Who knows? We go through this same thing with every single game. I wish games shipped on day one with a complete code but thats just not the way it is unfortunately.

I hope that's the case as there are still a ton of people waiting for Stern / Dwight to properly finish Ghostbusters over 2 years since the games last code update...

#7791 5 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

And then you read CPRs report on grading.
Stern take pride in their business earnings, not their playfields.

I have CPR PF's in my Fathom/Centaur...they do great work. Unfortunately, they take forever. I signed up for a Paragon PF more than 4 years ago and it's still under development (with almost no updates along the way).

Considering how many games Stern produces, they do a great job. Since the # of PF providers is likely very small, it's unclear if there is much competition for this aspect of game. It would be really interesting to know how many PF's Stern rejects. If the % is very low, then they should be more discriminating. If they are already rejecting 5-10% and need the slightly flawed PF's to ship games, it becomes a business decision. Try buying a new home...it will come with many flaws

#7792 5 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

Sounds like you need to start looking at 90’s games...not NIB Sterns.

#7793 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I have CPR PF's in my Fathom/Centaur...they do great work. Unfortunately, they take forever. I signed up for a Paragon PF more than 4 years ago and it's still under development (with almost no updates along the way).
Considering how many games Stern produces, they do a great job. Since the # of PF providers is likely very small, it's unclear if there is much competition for this aspect of game. It would be really interesting to know how many PF's Stern rejects. If the % is very low, then they should be more discriminating. If they are already rejecting 5-10% and need the slightly flawed PF's to ship games, it becomes a business decision. Try buying a new home...it will come with many flaws

Maybe I'm being overly critical but how did Bally/Williams manage to churn out decent playfields back in the day?

There is a sense that people are making excuses for Stern here, like painting and clearcoating a playfield and getting it right is some unattainable utopia. If CPR, Mirco and co can do it so can they. Having to produce greater volumes is no excuse in my mind, particularly on a pin costing $6k+

I suspect, like many things, playfield finish quality is a function of cost vs desired profit. If enough people don't stop buying the products then why not keep chipping down the costs part?

#7794 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Maybe I'm being overly critical but how did Bally/Williams manage to churn out decent playfields back in the day?
There is a sense that people are making excuses for Stern here, like painting and clearcoating a playfield and getting it right is some unattainable utopia. If CPR, Mirco and co can do it so can they. Having to produce greater volumes is no excuse in my mind, particularly on a pin costing $6k+
I suspect, like many things, playfield finish quality is a function of cost vs desired profit. If enough people don't stop buying the products then why not keep chipping down the costs part?

The secret here is CPR and Micro can't do it. That is why they have different tiers of playfields. They don't produce the number of playfields that Stern does on any level.

Having to produce greater volumes is the hardest part in all of this. Everything is a function of cost vs profit.

Most love it when Stern can churn out games so quickly, this is the byproduct. Some of the games coming out aren't going to be 100%. Is it acceptable? That is up to the buyers to decide, but so far people are still buying them so it seems most don't care.

#7795 5 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

The secret here is CPR and Micro can't do it. That is why they have different tiers of playfields. They don't produce the number of playfields that Stern does on any level.
Having to produce greater volumes is the hardest part in all of this. Everything is a function of cost vs profit.
Most love it when Stern can churn out games so quickly, this is the byproduct. Some of the games coming out aren't going to be 100%. Is it acceptable? That is up to the buyers to decide, but so far people are still buying them so it seems most don't care.

Exactly. Spot on...and it's not just PF's.

My Munsters Pro stopped booting after 50 plays! Before it stopped, the game was behaving strangely. Hopefully a new CPU will arrive Monday and I will be back in business. NIB has become a crap shoot. It's not acceptable, however there aren't many other choices (which is why Stern gets away with it). I use to get really upset, but now I just so with the flow. Fortunately, Stern support is responsive (as they should be). If they weren't, I would have "walked away" years ago.

#7796 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Four different suppliers and chemicals that are not allowed to be used in this day and age.

#7797 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Have you emailed your thoughts to Stern on your thoughts on code.

If not, please do so here:

[email protected]

Thx

#7798 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

[email protected]

Thx

#7799 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

[email protected]

Thx

#7800 5 years ago

By everyone sending in their thoughts the code will improve.

By all means feel free to make comments on Pinside but don’t stop there - email Stern!

It will help more quickly improve code.

Thx

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 156 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/156 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.