(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 155 of 164.
#7701 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'm not saying I disagree, but counterpoint to this The Simpsons. That's one of the most complex rulesets ever, yet I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, really aside from basic modes, multi balls and hurry ups (because they're so incessant). Lots to have to read up on.
I want a GOT, but Dwight's "Ghostbuster-eque" rules worry me.

Huh? GOT rules are not in any way close to Ghostbusters.

#7702 5 years ago

I'm not saying I disagree, but counterpoint to this The Simpsons. That's one of the most complex rulesets ever, yet I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, really aside from basic modes, multi balls and hurry ups (because they're so incessant). Lots to have to read up on.

I don't recall mentioning TSPP...only LOTR. I owned TSPP for awhile but don't recall being confused by the rules. Interesting that both Keith Johnson and Dwight Sullivan worked on both of them. I always thought they were done by Keith alone...

#7703 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Huh? GOT rules are not in any way close to Ghostbusters.

Yea, not even remotely close in the best possible way

#7704 5 years ago

It's way simpler than Ghostbusters, even. I would say about half the rules/modes. It needs a LOT of work. A LOT. I'm hoping Dwight is the man with a plan, but this really falls on Gomez as the Chief Creative Officer/Executive VP. He's a good enough player to know what they were releasing was nowhere near right.

#7705 5 years ago

The shaker is essential!!!!

#7706 5 years ago

There's plenty of easy/medium/hard
accomplishments in the code to satisfy most players ...that's what i like about it. Depending on my mood and time frame i can go for different things. However it kicks my ass most of the time so it really dont matter lol

#7707 5 years ago

TSPP is a perfect example of "depth" that a normal person can figure out, and many of the games rules are organic to the design.

For example, if you start "Homer's Day"...he says "time to go to work"...you hit the power plant bumpers (where he works). Then he says "Time for Moe's". The ramp has the Moe's sign on it. Shoot it. Then he says "I wanna watch TV". Shoot the garage to "go home", then shoot the TV.

TSPP in a nutshell:
-Shoot TV to start modes. Shoot right orbit to relight TV. Start another mode if you want, stack as many as you want.
-Shoot 3 balls on the couch to start Multiball. Can be stacked.
-Shoot balls into the Itchy & Scratchy Scoop to start I&S Multiball. Can be stacked.
-Comic Book Guy target starts hurry ups.
-Otto shot lights 2x multipliers

It's actually pretty easy to understand...progress through all the modes and collect all the things! All the modes get you to Alien Invasion. All I&S Multis get you to Scratchy's Revenge. All Comic Book Guy hurry ups get you Secret Stash, etc.

#7708 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

TSPP is a perfect example of "depth" that a normal person can figure out, and many of the games rules are organic to the design.
For example, if you start "Homer's Day"...he says "time to go to work"...you hit the power plant bumpers (where he works). Then he says "Time for Moe's". The ramp has the Moe's sign on it. Shoot it. Then he says "I wanna watch TV". Shoot the garage to "go home", then shoot the TV.
TSPP in a nutshell:
-Shoot TV to start modes. Shoot right orbit to relight TV. Start another mode if you want, stack as many as you want.
-Shoot 3 balls on the couch to start Multiball. Can be stacked.
-Shoot balls into the Itchy & Scratchy Scoop to start I&S Multiball. Can be stacked.
-Comic Book Guy target starts hurry ups.
-Otto shot lights 2x multipliers
It's actually pretty easy to understand...progress through all the modes and collect all the things! All the modes get you to Alien Invasion. All I&S Multis get you to Scratchy's Revenge. All Comic Book Guy hurry ups get you Secret Stash, etc.

A great example of theme integration where hallmarks of the show are part of the journey (though I still detest "D'oh" mode). Collecting characters in Munsters is nowhere near as interesting/fun and the code/rules are a tiny fraction of Simpsons.

#7709 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

A great example of theme integration where hallmarks of the show are part of the journey (thought I still detest "D'oh" mode).

I love D'oh Frenzy...and it's a really funny use of the Homer head toy...which is really just the head ripped off of a Homer doll, but it's really funny that he flashes & reacts to every "D'oh". Is the Herman toy choreographed with his tantrum voice-over at all?

#7710 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I love D'oh Frenzy...and it's a really funny use of the Homer head toy...which is really just the head ripped off of a Homer doll, but it's really funny that he flashes & reacts to every "D'oh". Is the Herman toy choreographed with his tantrum voice-over at all?

Not that I recall, and the look/movement of Herman is really less-than-great.

#7711 5 years ago

So I just heard that the actress whom played Marilyn in The Munsters just died. RIP. Odd timing.

#7712 5 years ago

The opinion that theme doesn’t matter in the long run may be true cause I’ve never seen so many grown men into Wizard of Oz

#7713 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

This game will be a top seller and probably one of the best Stern full featured games since the Simpson’s Pinball party and POTC

Hmmmm

#7714 5 years ago

Please note that I'm still trying to get into this machine. I want it to be good, but Munsters' issue is that it almost solely about score. There has to be some sort of journey to go along with score, and the journey in this machine simply stinks like rotten fish. Get rid of the theme and you have a game that wants you to crank up jackpots and multiplyers to achieve numbers. Do you want adventure? Well, there's a clunky bash toy, a ramp bash that stops flow and freebie targets on the side.

Adventure outweighs scoring by a lot in my books, and the top 100 list reflects this as well. I have more fun on every single system 11 ever made. All this being said, I'm going to plug my local Munsters some more, but I feel it will be like ghostbusters, the other dysfunctional stepchild: there will be no love

#7715 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

At $100, it's a relatively cheap addition worth the cost.

$275 down here in the good old "lucky country"

#7716 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's actually pretty easy to understand...progress through all the modes and collect all the things!

except you gloss over that the majority of time it's telling you to shoot things you have zero clue what it's referring to. Most of the character shots are completely unrecognizable to players and the shots on the left they probably have difficulty even knowing what's there, let alone which is which.

#7717 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

I feel it will be like ghostbusters, the other dysfunctional stepchild:

I sure hope Munsters turns out that good, that would be awesome!

#7718 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I sure hope Munsters turns out that good, that would be awesome!

Gb is the only stern I refuse to play.I've even been known to drop in my dollar at a tournament and just plunge the 3 balls and take a strike.I'd love to Todd Tuckey every Gb off a roof.

#7719 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

except you gloss over that the majority of time it's telling you to shoot things you have zero clue what it's referring to. Most of the character shots are completely unrecognizable to players and the shots on the left they probably have difficulty even knowing what's there, let alone which is which.

Many of the callouts are "Shoot the left loop" "Shoot the right ramp". They're literally telling you what to shoot. As for the character based stuff...it's very obvious if you just look at the playfield...even if you don't know the power plant is where Homer works, when you need to shoot that shot, it's flashing! In the Willy's Woes mode, you have to shoot the bullies - the 3 standups/inserts to the left of the ramp....even if you don't know those characters, the inserts are blinking. TSPP is very very informative with its visuals, audio & lighting cues.

#7720 5 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Gb is the only stern I refuse to play.I've even been known to drop in my dollar at a tournament and just plunge the 3 balls and take a strike.I'd love to Todd Tuckey every Gb off a roof.

I love it and Rarehero thinks its the best game ever made!

#7721 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Please note that I'm still trying to get into this machine. I want it to be good, but Munsters' issue is that it almost solely about score. There has to be some sort of journey to go along with score, and the journey in this machine simply stinks like rotten fish. Get rid of the theme and you have a game that wants you to crank up jackpots and multiplyers to achieve numbers. Do you want adventure? Well, there's a clunky bash toy, a ramp bash that stops flow and freebie targets on the side.
Adventure outweighs scoring by a lot in my books, and the top 100 list reflects this as well. I have more fun on every single system 11 ever made. All this being said, I'm going to plug my local Munsters some more, but I feel it will be like ghostbusters, the other dysfunctional stepchild: there will be no love

The 100 list doesn’t mean anything Maiden is like number 8 or some shit come on

#7722 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Many of the callouts are "Shoot the left loop" "Shoot the right ramp". They're literally telling you what to shoot. As for the character based stuff...it's very obvious if you just look at the playfield...even if you don't know the power plant is where Homer works, when you need to shoot that shot, it's flashing! In the Willy's Woes mode, you have to shoot the bullies - the 3 standups/inserts to the left of the ramp....even if you don't know those characters, the inserts are blinking. TSPP is very very informative with its visuals, audio & lighting cues.

Again you cherry pick. There is tons of stuff flashing or lit on the PF besides the actual mode objective.

Even now when you tell me 'shoot the power plant' - I don't know what that is. Is that just the pops? or the two stands up in front of them? or the hidden target behind them? And the PF is incredibly busy - so no, no one is walking up and playing 'wheres waldo' to find the bullies mid game. The game is sensory overload - and the stacking only amplifies that problem of "I have no idea what I'm doing!"

It's the poster child for "incredibly well through out - just incredibly overwhelming". Sure people can just flail around and get things going... but do people really know or are they just surviving? How many people that just played it a few times could explain how things are qualified.. or the 2x business.. or the daredevil modes, etc.

Bowen himself said it elegantly back when collecting the rules for the game for the rulesheet:
"The Simpsons Pinball Party is one of the most fun, yet most complicated,
games ever made. Playing it to have a good time doesn't require too much
effort, since there should always be something to do. Playing it
strategically takes more effort than almost every other modern pin, but it
sure is worth it."

#7723 5 years ago

Premium/LE.... pro never matters in these arguments.

#7724 5 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

True. I agree that with its innovative pf, it should be a bit higher. 8 seems like a pretty good spot though....

#7725 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:True. I agree that with its innovative pf, it should be a bit higher. 8 seems like a pretty good spot though....

Ha ha nice one I was think more like 28

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#7726 5 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

$275 down here in the good old "lucky country"

So, about double the price in USD. Is there VAT to consider? I mean $100 + ~40 shipping (it's heavy!) leaves at least $55 USD unaccounted for in that equation.

#7727 5 years ago

Beverly Owen has left us . RIP Bev and thanks for your 13 memorable Marilyn Munster episodes.

FB_IMG_1551147207881.jpgFB_IMG_1551147207881.jpgFB_IMG_1551147212331.jpgFB_IMG_1551147212331.jpg
#7728 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Bowen himself said it elegantly back when collecting the rules for the game for the rulesheet:
"The Simpsons Pinball Party is one of the most fun, yet most complicated,
games ever made. Playing it to have a good time doesn't require too much
effort, since there should always be something to do. Playing it
strategically takes more effort than almost every other modern pin, but it
sure is worth it."

I think that says it all and shows two different types of pinball players. I play for fun, not strategy. As a tournament guy, Bowen is looking for strategy, not fun. I prefer fun.

#7729 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Well said. It's kind of funny that some folks thought the clanging bash toy was a bug/malfunction First time I've moved a game days after taking delivery. Just don't have the patience for the NIB "quality issues" along with hoping the code will blossom. Had some folks over to unveil Munsters and the guests were digging Beatles and IMDN much more than Munsters. A game needs to do more than shoot smooth and look great to excite people.

Quoted from Rarehero:

I think that says it all and shows two different types of pinball players. I play for fun, not strategy. As a tournament guy, Bowen is looking for strategy, not fun. I prefer fun.

Plenty of games achieve both.

#7730 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Sure, happy to provide more insight/detail....
I grew up with the Munsters show and thought the artwork was stunning. Those were known.
The "unknown" was gameplay, and I believe that software/rules need to be experienced. Watching others play the game isn't the same.
Because of the license/artwork, I placed my order after the reveal but before much was known about gameplay.
Lastly, I sold my AS Pro (a Borg/fan layout with good, but basic rules) and thought Munsters would be better. For me, AS is more challenging. I had no idea that Munsters was going to be so easy/basic. Don't get me wrong, Stern games over the years have gotten increasing brutal (SW is a great example). Dialing down the difficulty for location play is a good move. Not every release needs to have brutal gameplay/rules!
Unfortunately, it's difficult to make a game that works on location AND the home. I think JJP's Dialed In is a wonderful example that straddles the 2...approachable for a novice, yet deep/interesting for home use.

But Borg promised this was his best game ever

#7731 5 years ago

Ha ha nice one I was think more like 28

Is that some Iron Maiden “hate” I detect. I’m offended.

#7732 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Nah just a negative opinion from a lifelong Maiden fan

#7733 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Plenty of games achieve both.

This one does for me

#7734 5 years ago

Your right, totally bogus it should be in the top 5!

#7735 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

Your right, totally bogus it should be in the top 5!

No way Iron Maiden?

#7736 5 years ago

No way Iron Maiden?

DB4D9BFD-FFEF-4073-B805-57FC2CD5E41C (resized).jpegDB4D9BFD-FFEF-4073-B805-57FC2CD5E41C (resized).jpeg
#7737 5 years ago

I will have to play that shit some more

#7738 5 years ago

I will have to play that shit some more

Give IMDN another go Spaceman..Its the shit buddy for real. Soooo much fun!

#7739 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Give IMDN another go Spaceman..Its the shit buddy for real. Soooo much fun!

Is a shit buddy a good thing?

#7740 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is a shit buddy a good thing?

No but a game being "the shit" is a really good thing.

#7741 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

No but a game being "the shit" is a really good thing.

That is a term I understand. The other was confusing.

#7742 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Think he was talking about the 1982 Stern release of Iron Maiden mate.

#7743 5 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

It's also weird the way the bash toy is implemented. The first time Herman is saving Lily from "the thing, the horrible thing", but you do this by just bashing him repeatedly? Why not have him tour the house to "clear" the rooms from danger or something that integrates with the storyline of the show that clip is from? After a super-sad code start, Batman'66 eventually became tightly integrated to select episodes, to its great benefit. Dwight doesn't have to re-learn that lesson for himself on Munsters, talk to Lyman - he's been through it, and let him give Dwight design shortcuts to improve the game quickly. There are so many positive improvements that can be made trending away from the score-at-all-costs gameplay that turns a LOT of home users off. Dwight just needs to get started...

#7744 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It's also weird the way the bash toy is implemented. The first time Herman is saving Lily from "the thing, the horrible thing", but you do this by just bashing him repeatedly? Why not have him tour the house to "clear" the rooms from danger or something that integrates with the storyline of the show that clip is from? After a super-sad code start, Batman'66 eventually became tightly integrated to select episodes, to its great benefit. Dwight doesn't have to re-learn that lesson for himself on Munsters, talk to Lyman - he's been through it, and let him give Dwight design shortcuts to improve the game quickly. There are so many positive improvements that can be made trending away from the score at all costs gameplay that turns a LOT of home users off. Dwight just needs to get started...

Well said

#7745 5 years ago

Pat Priest the actress whose face is on Stern’s pinball table, was the real Marilyn Munster. She starred in 57 episodes and will be at the Texas Pinball Festival with Butch Patrick. Beverly was not much in the way of being Marilyn. She was only in 13 episodes of the Munsters. Pat’s 57 episodes definitely makes her the defacto Marilyn and is the reason Stern only put her likeness on the table.

#7746 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

But Borg promised this was his best game ever

Contrary to Pinside lore, I don't "blame" individuals.

I believe the problem is Stern's time-to-market. While we love seeing Stern ship 3 games per year, it's tough to do with any consistency and artistic integrity. I worked in tech for 25 years. If a product wasn't ready, we'd delay the release (period). Pixar allocates 3 years to do a movie (minimum).

While some folks detest the perceived "cash grab" for Beatles Platinum/Diamond, the real "cash grab" is unfinished code and half-baked mechs. KISS had "good bones" but took 3 years to complete the code! Glad I was patient...the latest code drop is a big improvement. IMDN Premium took me a solid month to fully dial-in (ORBs, posts, shooter, sarcophagus). There are many other examples.

#7747 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Contrary to Pinside lore, I don't "blame" individuals.
I believe the problem is Stern's time-to-market. While we love seeing Stern ship 3 games per year, it's tough to do with any consistency and artistic integrity. I worked in tech for 25 years. If a product wasn't ready, we'd delay the release (period). Pixar allocates 3 years to do a movie (minimum).
While some folks detest the perceived "cash grab" for Beatles Platinum/Diamond, the real "cash grab" is unfinished code and half-baked mechs. KISS had "good bones" but took 3 years to complete the code! Glad I was patient...the latest code drop is a big improvement. IMDN Premium took me a solid month to fully dial-in (ORBs, posts, shooter, sarcophagus). There are many other examples.

So KISS is a good machine now? It's been off my radar for so long I forgot about it

#7748 5 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

So KISS is a good machine now? It's been off my radar for so long I forgot about it

I was almost ready to sell my Kiss Pro right before the new code drop. Now it's not leaving. So yes, Kiss is a great machine now. It helps that I was a big fan of the band back in the day and still enjoy the music.

#7749 5 years ago

Correct. It's the total package now...software is much more polished & fun (great combos, improved scoring).

#7750 5 years ago

I've had MET Premium, KISS LE, Maiden Pro and now AC/DC Luci.

Of them all, I'd rank them...

AC/DC
Metallica
Maiden
Kiss

I wanted to throw AC/DC off a cliff day 1, but then I realized I was just "spoiled" with Maiden. AC/DC is tough and just so much fun. Makes you a better player.

Maiden is a super forgiving shooter. Every game was a good length and I'd get pretty far, but all games started to be the same. If you like shooting loops, Maiden is the best. Code is excellent for it as well.

Met is a notch above. There's a lot more ways to attack the machine, then for CIU modes, you have to play the way the machine tells you. (Still there is a lot of bashing to get to CIU modes).

Kiss. Ah, I love Kiss the band. Have my tix for this summer. The game shoots ok (Aerosmith copy) but there are some things that bug me. The scoop is WAY too tight (cliffy makes it worse too). The Demon lock sucks when it malfunctions. Just a big pain which for me would work sometimes and sometimes wouldn't. Overall, I don't think Kiss is all that interesting to play though. It's cool that wizard modes are all achievable with the new code. I reached them all several times. Maybe that's when it really lost its appeal. The new code REALLY made it easier for me and I didn't necessarily want that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
$ 39.00
5,450 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 155 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/155 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.