(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 164.
#7651 5 years ago

For those that have played the LE, what are your thoughts on the lower playfield?

#7652 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Uncle Gilbert is also on the playfield to the right of Marilyn. Strange I don't remember that character on the show. Guess I missed that episode.

Jump to 23 minute mark:
https://archive.org/details/The_Munsters/The+Munsters+-+S01E31+-+Love+Comes+To+Mockingbird+Heights.avi

#7653 5 years ago

This is fantastic! I can watch all the shows. How did you get this?

#7654 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

When’s the party!?

Unfortunately, the pinball party is in Florida. I'll be back in LA soon and we can have a party

It's interesting, just had 3 serious players over and they really liked The Beatles gameplay (not Beatles fans per se). The jury was out on Munsters...it actually rebooted once...unclear if it was a hardware or software related. Everyone loved the Munsters artwork and ramps, but the software/rules are hard to love at the moment. Classic problem that we've all experienced far too often.

#7655 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballonthemark:

This is fantastic! I can watch all the shows. How did you get this?

Magic? Internet magic? I don't know why it's there, just that it is.

#7656 5 years ago
Quoted from JMCFAN:

I would not... someone seemed to have a problem with it... buy the lesser model then......

...which is exactly what the poster was saying to do... when you “added” they they could disable the playfield as if it were an alternative...

#7657 5 years ago

Played Munsters LE at Sunshine Laundry.

It's pretty fun! Good light show and fairly well done sound alike speech.

Lower PF has a lot of stuff but the small ball does feel very floaty. Basically has a time limit which is bumped up if you make shots.

IMG_20190224_144704 (resized).jpgIMG_20190224_144704 (resized).jpg
#7658 5 years ago

Have about 50 games on my pro and its a great pin imo. Shoots great with some fast flowing shots.... its not that easy imo and i think the code is very solid for as early as it is. I wldnt call the madness mode a wizard mode by any means but more of a enhanced mode after completing the others. There is alot to the code after you figure it out and the risk/reward part of it is very cool. So many great lighting effects , speech, sounds, video and little things in the code that are great. The game won't be for everyone but it will fit just fine in most collections. Have mine set at 7.2 degrees with factory settings otherwise.... .got to madness twice but drained very quickly and didn't complete shit.... game can be very brutal .

#7659 5 years ago

Has anybody gone with just the trough lights from Lermods to help light up the lower playfield on the Pro machine ?? What do you think-did it do a good job of adding light ?? and was it worth it.

#7660 5 years ago

What color titans should I install on my LE?

#7661 5 years ago

Sorta feeling translucent on this one

#7662 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

What color titans should I install on my LE?

Quoted from EricHadley:

Sorta feeling translucent on this one

Why bother - aren't you that guy that's selling his entire collection?

#7663 5 years ago
Screenshot_20190224-213247_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20190224-213247_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
#7665 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Why bother - aren't you that guy that's selling his entire collection?

Nah I guess not. So I need help with titan color!

#7666 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Nah I guess not. So I need help with titan color!

WELL THEN ... translucent is a fine selection given all the colors within The Munsters!

#7667 5 years ago

Translucent will look great

#7669 5 years ago

Can someone remove the (because every evening it’s halloween) from the title? It’s so cheesy it grates like a chalkboard.

#7670 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Played Munsters LE at Sunshine Laundry.
It's pretty fun! Good light show and fairly well done sound alike speech.
Lower PF has a lot of stuff but the small ball does feel very floaty. Basically has a time limit which is bumped up if you make shots.[quoted image]

Hmmm, what’s a Wisconsin guy doing over in New York ? Perhaps a visit to a Jersey pinball factory ? Let the rumors begin

#7671 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Hmmm, what’s a Wisconsin guy doing over in New York ? Perhaps a visit to a Jersey pinball factory ? Let the rumors begin

Bible Adventures in Oz?

#7672 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Bible Adventures in Oz?

It's research on the ground for the pin that no one knew they wanted, but everyone really needs.

kotter (resized).jpgkotter (resized).jpg
#7673 5 years ago

I would do the following if a WBK pin was ever produced:

Release my design for Zero Point Energy Endless Vortex Cockroach and Insect Trap...

Make a fortune selling them to people all over the world...

Dress up like Doctor Evil and buy a hairless cat...

Use the profits from the Insect Trap to design and build the first Super Solar Star Killer Space Cannon...

Buy a swimming pool full of sharks with fricken Lasers on their heads...

Point the Star Killer Cannon at the Sun and pull the trigger, destroying it and all known human life in the universe...

Problem of a Welcome Back Kotter pinball machine properly handled... priceless.

#7674 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Nope just hanging out in NY with friends.

#7675 5 years ago

Having now played Munsters, to love this game you gotta love the theme.

There just wasn't a wow factor playing the game - nothing really new or innovative.

The ramps are some of the best ever though - super satisfying to hit.

Some games are so good that theme doesn't matter in the end. This is the other side of the coin.

#7676 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Having now played Munsters, to love this game you gotta love the theme.
There just wasn't a wow factor playing the game - nothing really new or innovative.
The ramps are some of the best ever though - super satisfying to hit.
Some games are so good that theme doesn't matter in the end. This is the other side of the coin.

I agree. I like the theme, but not enough to keep it in my collection.

The good: Great ramps, smooth shooting, beautiful art.
The bad: The clanging Herman toy/mech is pathetic (barely moves). The massive LILY/DRAGULA targets are lame. The rules are really, really shallow and uninspiring.

Mine arrived on 2/21 and I've already decided to sell it to an operator (who already has 3 on route). First time I've moved a game after having it only one week. Just don't have the patience for half-baked rules/software.

I think it works as route game...for home use, it's just too boring (Munster Madness is way too easy to achieve). I prefer games that challenge me. TRON isn't a particularly deep game, but achieving PORTAL isn't easy.

#7677 5 years ago

not sure if this was posted yet

#7678 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I agree. I like the theme, but not enough to keep it in my collection.
The good: Great ramps, smooth shooting, beautiful art.
The bad: The clanging Herman toy/mech is pathetic (barely moves). The massive LILY/DRAGULA targets are lame. The rules are really, really shallow and uninspiring.
Mine arrived on 2/21 and I've already decided to sell it to an operator (who already has 3 on route). First time I've moved a game after having it only one week. Just don't have the patience for half-baked rules/software.
I think it works as route game...for home use, it's just too boring (Munster Madness is way too easy to achieve). I prefer games that challenge me. TRON isn't a particularly deep game, but achieving PORTAL isn't easy.

Can I ask a question.. I'm fascinated as to the thought process that went into buying it....

Was it a case that you were going to buy it come what may because it was the new hotness, and not read any reviews in advance or watch Lets Plays, etc? Your views on the game seem like stuff that would easily have been discovered just by watching someone review it, or an extended play video.

I'm curious to know what it was that you were actually expecting, if not what has been demonstrated clearly in reviews and videos, etc.

#7679 5 years ago

No matter how much is in a pinball theme totally matters to me in the end
Rehash pirates is rehash pirates to me so it goes both ways

#7680 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Can I ask a question.. I'm fascinated as to the thought process that went into buying it....
Was it a case that you were going to buy it come what may because it was the new hotness, and not read any reviews in advance or watch Lets Plays, etc? Your views on the game seem like stuff that would easily have been discovered just by watching someone review it, or an extended play video.
I'm curious to know what it was that you were actually expecting, if not what has been demonstrated clearly in reviews and videos, etc.

Sure, happy to provide more insight/detail....

I grew up with the Munsters show and thought the artwork was stunning. Those were known.

The "unknown" was gameplay, and I believe that software/rules need to be experienced. Watching others play the game isn't the same.
Because of the license/artwork, I placed my order after the reveal but before much was known about gameplay.

Lastly, I sold my AS Pro (a Borg/fan layout with good, but basic rules) and thought Munsters would be better. For me, AS is more challenging. I had no idea that Munsters was going to be so easy/basic. Don't get me wrong, Stern games over the years have gotten increasing brutal (SW is a great example). Dialing down the difficulty for location play is a good move. Not every release needs to have brutal gameplay/rules!

Unfortunately, it's difficult to make a game that works on location AND the home. I think JJP's Dialed In is a wonderful example that straddles the 2...approachable for a novice, yet deep/interesting for home use.

#7681 5 years ago

I keep hearing about how simple the game is when it’s really not IMO

#7682 5 years ago

Munsters may seem simple code wise at first glance but its actually really good and thought out with lots of little things going on. But yea if u look at the madness mode as the depth then yea it seems shallowish. This is not the case however and if you give it some time there is a lot going on. Also the code has tons of lighting effects,sounds, callouts, video content and much more there then many other newer pins. Its actually pretty dam brilliant and will only get better.

#7683 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Munsters may seem simple code wise at first glance but its actually really good and thought out with lots of little things going on. But yea if u look at the madness mode as the depth then yea it seems shallowish. This is not the case however and if you give it some time there is a lot going on. Also the code has tons of lighting effects,sounds, callouts, video content and much more there then many other newer pins. Its actually pretty dam brilliant and will only get better.

If lighting all 6 modes isn't the right yardstick, what is? I'm curious what you find fun/compelling about the ruleset.

#7684 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

If lighting all 6 modes isn't the right yardstick, what is? I'm curious what you find fun/compelling about the ruleset.

Did u watch the deadflip stream from the stern factory? If not u sld ... its about lining everything up for a huge payoff basically...which is super hard to do . You have stacking of superjackpots,multipliers. Zaps, boosted characters and stacking characters together to increase everything. There's more but thats the basis of things.

#7685 5 years ago

Munsters is about SCORE!!!! Completing the modes and getting to Munster Madness is not the goal,stacking super jackpots is the goal on this one.I love playing almost every Stern and Munsters is a dream theme for me so I bought Munsters blind and after a few days I was second guessing my purchase but after putting about 100 games on it I've fallen in love!!!! This game is so much fun now that I understand the mutipliers,stacking and I can hit the Dragula shot with some consistency. It's just different rules that are more score focused like a ww or f14 and not mode based like x-men.

#7686 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Did u watch the deadflip stream from the stern factory? If not u sld ... its about lining everything up for a huge payoff basically...which is super hard to do . You have stacking of superjackpots,multipliers. Zaps, boosted characters and stacking characters together to increase everything. There's more but thats the basis of things.

I casually watched the video when it was released. I guess I can watch it again to see what I'm missing.

I guess I prefer games with 2 stage modes...easy to light, but difficult to finish. For IMDN, you collect "soul shards" when you finish a mode. In LOTR, you get "gifts". In TRON, you can't progress to Portal without completing the modes. In Beatles, lighting a song is easy...completing a song is more difficult (need to get to "level 5"). All of these achievements are pretty explicit in the respective games (true for Aerosmith as well, come to think of it).

The stuff you are talking about seems more subtle...not necessarily bad, just an observation. The other thing I love is "combos", which seem under utilized in Munsters. Just to be clear, these are early observations/impressions...I'm far from an expert after 30 games or so!

#7687 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I casually watched the video when it was released. I guess I can watch it again to see what I'm missing.
I guess I prefer games with 2 stage modes...easy to light, but difficult to finish. For IMDN, you collect "soul shards" when you finish a mode. In LOTR, you get "gifts". In TRON, you can't progress to Portal without completing the modes. In Beatles, lighting a song is easy...completing a song is more difficult (need to get to "level 5"). All of these achievements are pretty explicit in the respective games (true for Aerosmith as well, come to think of it).
The stuff you are talking about seems more subtle...not necessarily bad, just an observation. The other thing I love is "combos", which seem under utilized in Munsters. Just to be clear, these are early observations/impressions...I'm far from an expert after 30 games or so!

Yea its definitely different than most games but i think that's y i like it lol. I do wish they wld add a new mode for completing all the main modes.. kinda like mb but different from the munster madness mode. Not gonna lie but my first 15-20 games i was just meh... but then i watched that stream again to understand the rules and absolutely love it now. Also over 70 games ive only got to madness mode 4 times and did absolutely shit in it lol... there are 3 stages just to it. My game is brutal at 7.2 and factory settings.

#7688 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Unfortunately, it's difficult to make a game that works on location AND the home.

Pretty much every 90's game figured it out.

Quoted from Puffdanny:

It's just different rules that are more score focused like a ww or f14 and not mode based like x-men.

You can be mode based & score based simultaneously. It's just logical...do well/progress through modes, good scores will follow. When games make you jump through all sorts of weird hoops to get scores instead of rewarding you with intuitive gameplay, it's an instant turn off for some. Dwight's rule theories are extremely polarizing, that's been very clear since GOT. You can explain them all you want, but when you're playing pinball you either "feel the fun" or don't.

Quoted from bigd1979:

its about lining everything up for a huge payoff basically...which is super hard to do . You have stacking of superjackpots,multipliers. Zaps, boosted characters and stacking characters together to increase everything.

These types of slot machine/Rainman tournament player rules that have nothing to do with the theme instantly make a player like me tune out.

#7689 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You can be mode based & score based simultaneously. It's just logical...do well/progress through modes, good scores will follow. When games make you jump through all sorts of weird hoops to get scores instead of rewarding you with intuitive gameplay, it's an instant turn off for some. Dwight's rule theories are extremely polarizing, that's been very clear since GOT. You can explain them all you want, but when you're playing pinball you either "feel the fun" or don't.

These types of slot machine/Rainman tournament player rules that have nothing to do with the theme instantly make a player like me tune out.

I don't think munsters is over complicated by any means... not like sw or got but kinda like gb in a way. Its pretty easy to figure out after a bit of play. It won't be for everyone(what pin is) but i like what's there overall and think many will like it once they understand it.

#7690 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Sure, happy to provide more insight/detail....
I grew up with the Munsters show and thought the artwork was stunning. Those were known.
The "unknown" was gameplay, and I believe that software/rules need to be experienced. Watching others play the game isn't the same.
Because of the license/artwork, I placed my order after the reveal but before much was known about gameplay.
Lastly, I sold my AS Pro (a Borg/fan layout with good, but basic rules) and thought Munsters would be better. For me, AS is more challenging. I had no idea that Munsters was going to be so easy/basic. Don't get me wrong, Stern games over the years have gotten increasing brutal (SW is a great example). Dialing down the difficulty for location play is a good move. Not every release needs to have brutal gameplay/rules!
Unfortunately, it's difficult to make a game that works on location AND the home. I think JJP's Dialed In is a wonderful example that straddles the 2...approachable for a novice, yet deep/interesting for home use.

Thanks. That explains it very well. I agree that sometimes you have to experience something for yourself to know if you will click with it.

#7691 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I don't think munsters is over complicated by any means... not like sw or got but kinda like gb in a way. Its pretty easy to figure out after a bit of play. It won't be for everyone(what pin is) but i like what's there overall and think many will like it once they understand it.

Here's the thing, anyone can walk up to lets say LOTR, a "complex deep game"...and generally understand the basics....and then as they play, they naturally learn more and more and more, as it's based on what they hit and what happens. Action/reaction. You're ONLY going to know what the button & all the weird scoring stuff is if someone explains it to you....and then, even if you understand it...is it fun? Subjective, of course...but those type of rules don't bring me into the game or the theme. It's very specific "score nerd" stuff.

#7692 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Meh. TOTAN, CC, TOM are all highly rated games (that I've owned) that got boring fast.

#7693 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Here's the thing, anyone can walk up to lets say LOTR, a "complex deep game"...and generally understand the basics....and then as they play, they naturally learn more and more and more, as it's based on what they hit and what happens. Action/reaction. You're ONLY going to know what the button & all the weird scoring stuff is if someone explains it to you....and then, even if you understand it...is it fun? Subjective, of course...but those type of rules don't bring me into the game or the theme. It's very specific "score nerd" stuff.

Exactly. I shouldn't have to "study" Dwight's video to "learn" the subtleties of the game. Pinball is a "language of lights", which is about communication. That's one of the things that makes LOTR brilliant...you always know what to do and (as a result) feel gratified when you achieve certain objectives. When my heavy hitter friends were playing Munsters this weekend, we were fairly clueless about what each of us were doing to result in points. As a result, you just take pride in lighting the modes (which is easy). Important to note that they are pretty accomplished tournament players (i.e. scoring/rule "nerds"). I guess they need to watch Dwight's video

#7694 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Meh. TOTAN, CC, TOM are all highly rated games (that I've owned) that got boring fast.

I said "Pretty much" ...but what those games lack in depth, the make up for in overall experience - great mechs, cool shots, clear objectives, satisfying use of theme. I'd gladly play any of those 3 games over GOT, GB, or SW.

#7695 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

So I guess the West Coast party is off? lol

#7696 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So I guess the West Coast party is off? lol

The game is in Florida, and it doesn't fit in my luggage

#7697 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

The game is in Florida, and it doesn't fit in my luggage

I was under the impression that you were ordering multiples lol

#7698 5 years ago

Is it worth putting a shaker motor in a Munsters pro?

#7699 5 years ago
Quoted from guss:

Is it worth putting a shaker motor in a Munsters pro?

It definitely improves the experience. I would say yes. At $100, it's a relatively cheap addition worth the cost.

#7700 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Exactly. I shouldn't have to "study" Dwight's video to "learn" the subtleties of the game. Pinball is a "language of lights", which is about communication. That's one of the things that makes LOTR brilliant...you always know what to do and (as a result) feel gratified when you achieve certain objectives. When my heavy hitter friends were playing Munsters this weekend, we were fairly clueless about what each of us were doing to result in points. As a result, you just take pride in lighting the modes (which is easy). Important to note that they are pretty accomplished tournament players (i.e. scoring/rule "nerds"). I guess they need to watch Dwight's video

I'm not saying I disagree, but counterpoint to this The Simpsons. That's one of the most complex rulesets ever, yet I have no idea what the hell I'm doing, really aside from basic modes, multi balls and hurry ups (because they're so incessant). Lots to have to read up on.

I want a GOT, but Dwight's "Ghostbuster-eque" rules worry me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Machine - For Sale
Mishawaka, IN
$ 169.95
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball
Toppers
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
12,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Findlay, OH
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 154 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/154 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.