(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 164.
#6601 5 years ago

I’m going to find @neilmcrae in that Texas bar at TPF and hoist one if I can, then ask about Munsters... things always go better when your a pint less sober.

#6602 5 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Curious as the game I played was one of the first releases in my area several have eluded to the fact there are 3 levels now. Is that something new or something Dwight mentioned on his todo list? I only seen 1 and 2 listed on the screen when I played granted the game whipped my butt so there might have been a 3 beyond.

On the newest released code there is nothing permanently on-screen beyond levels I and II. Level III (and beyond? I'm not there yet) is just a text screen next to video of the character finished that says "Level 3 Completed" after the Munsters coach drives by on the screen.

#6603 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

And since this is pinside, and we love to speculate remember GB came out right after Dwight got done coding both ST and GOT. (I still think GOT is his best work to date...

This is the correct answer. GoT made me a Dwight fan, flat out. The strategy, progression and different ways of approaching the game are just peerless. I LOVE that game and hope it gets and update to fix the bugs and maybe add some content from later seasons.

#6604 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

On the newest released code there is nothing permanently on-screen beyond levels I and II. Level III (and beyond? I'm not there yet) is just a text screen next to video of the character finished that says "Level 3 Completed" after the Munsters coach drives by on the screen.

Each character has levels I & II as shown in the LCD backdrop, isn’t it Munsters Madness that Dwight said has 3 levels?

#6605 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Each character has levels I & II as shown in the LCD backdrop, isn’t it Munsters Madness that Dwight said has 3 levels?

There's not much difference between Levels I, II, and III characters except more qualifying shots, so I doubt Munster Madness level III (which I have yet to do) is much different. I really think the game shouldn't let you advance to level II until you can complete Munster Madness properly.

I did get an almost 50 million Super Jackpot tonight, which was fun.

#6606 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

There's not much difference between Levels I, II, and III characters except more qualifying shots, so I doubt Munster Madness level III (which I have yet to do) is much different. I really think the game shouldn't let you advance to level II until you can complete Munster Madness properly.
I did get an almost 50 million Super Jackpot tonight, which was fun.

The first time u get munster madness there are essentially 3 levels to it that u can finish .

There are three parts: Part One - Complete an area In the first part you are completing any of the seven areas. Each area buffs the multiball in some-way: 1 - GRANDPA - LIGHTS ADD TIME - until part three 2 - LILY - ALL SWITCHES SCORE - until part three 3 - HERMAN - STARTS BALL SAVE - once per cycle 4 - SPOT - START BOOST ALL - until part three 5 - RAVEN - LIGHT KITTY - once per cycle 6 - EDDIE - DOUBLE JACKPOTS - until part three 7 - MARILYN - LIGHT SUPER JACKPOTS - until part three The area will stay complete until the end of the 3rd part. Part Two - Shoot Jackpots After each area is complete Jackpots will light for a short time. Each time you collect a jackpot the timer resets. Part Three - Cascading Hurry-ups After all 7 areas are complete and you have had a chance to collect jackpots a series of Hurry-Ups begin. The Hurry ups are worth more the more jackpots that were collected. After Part Three the whole thing resets and continues for the length of the multiball.

#6607 5 years ago

See everyone tonight at The Sanctum for league.

0C08D844-80B7-4F94-BE0A-E261BEF3510D (resized).jpeg0C08D844-80B7-4F94-BE0A-E261BEF3510D (resized).jpeg58D3CCB5-8FE6-4988-9991-69A536C15EC7 (resized).jpeg58D3CCB5-8FE6-4988-9991-69A536C15EC7 (resized).jpeg
#6608 5 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Everyone's complaining they've seen it all,they've made it to munster madness,not much to the code,well maybe you should look at this as a throwback game were it was about high score not making it to some wizard mode but some deep scoring strategy code mixed in.try learning how the code really works and have some fun trying to beat your friends or just your last score.
*this is a friends score not mine and this is a great score but about 1/3 of his best on location
[quoted image]

Heck yeah!!!!!!! Monster Bash is my all time favorite. Of course I have gotten to Monsters of Rock dozens of times, but I still play it to try to pass my high score and have fun.

#6609 5 years ago

Started watching my Munsters DVD box set last night and man i love this show. I laughed my ass off watching these. Still great shows 54 years later!

s-l400 (resized).jpgs-l400 (resized).jpg
#6610 5 years ago

Growing up in the 70s...coming home from school was always watching The Munsters and Batmsn on the NYC stations. Great memories and its awesome to have them in pinball form now.

#6611 5 years ago

I just watched the first half of the Deadflip video again, displaying the ruleset with Dwight and John, and I don't think I've seen a game as jackpot happy as this. There are many moments where the word is stated several times a minute. I wonder if that aspect relates to an older crowd, the crowd that watched the show as kids or baby boomers, that might gamble, trying to be drawn into this game loop. Overall, it feels less a reward, with how often jackpots seem to be hit.

I wish there were less a focus on jackpots, and more on modes that relate directly to characters, that of course would also serve for point scoring. Something like, hitting targets to collect candy, flowers, and a broken mirror so Herman's face couldn't be entirely seen by a prospective date, a "Get a Date for Marilyn" mode. Or a recover Spot game, or keep Grandpa from wanting to go back home to Transylvania.

I haven't watched the show in a few years, but modes that relate directly to episode themes would be more appealing to me than constant jackpots as an everpresent end goal. (Having watched some footage of Monster Bash last night, the playfulness and character themes feel really at home in that game, and well integrated.)

I'd also like to see Eddie and Woof Woof featured more. And maybe have Dragula go faster, and win a race by completing loops in a certain time period.

I guess just overall, I wish gameplay and modes fit more into show themes and characterization. I wonder how the game will develop over time. I really love the artwork, which fits so superbly, and this is a game I wanted to buy so much based on theme and gameplay, but right now I just wish the theme was more represented in gameplay.

#6612 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I wonder how the game will develop over time.

Probably not good enough to make you a buyer. Dwight said that this game is pretty much considered code complete except for bug fixes.

#6613 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Probably not good enough to make you a buyer. Dwight said that this game is pretty much considered code complete except for bug fixes.

That's what I'm afraid of.... The Munsters and The Addams Family were two of my favorite shows as a weirdling kid. I'll be patient either way.

I'm only a bit familiar with Batman 66, but that's fairly decent with show integration, yes? It's kind of an automatic easier path, to directly design elements around so many villains. What are your thoughts on that pin?

#6614 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

When the playfield's up, it looks even weirder. There's almost nothing under the playfield and only two node boards because there's so little to drive. Have a look:

Looks easy to work on compared to one of my system80b Gottliebs with 1000 miles of wire.

#6615 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

That's what I'm afraid of.... The Munsters and The Addams Family were two of my favorite shows as a weirdling kid. I'll be patient either way.
I'm only a bit familiar with Batman 66, but that's fairly decent with show integration, yes? It's kind of an automatic easier path, to directly design elements around so many villains. What are your thoughts on that pin?

I think you just gotta accept it for what it is and thats a simple fun game. I hope they add more to it but when i played it i still had lots of fun.

#6616 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Started watching my Munsters DVD box set last night and man i love this show. I laughed my ass off watching these. Still great shows 54 years later![quoted image]

Cool! Thought those were only on VHS and Beta?

#6617 5 years ago
Quoted from crlush:

Looks easy to work on compared to one of my system80b Gottliebs with 1000 miles of wire.

When there's nothing there, it's a positive dream to work on compared to Star Trek:TNG, Williams Indy, or (shudder) The Hobbit.

#6618 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Batman '66 has turned into a very fun, deep game that any skill level can play and enjoy. Some shots are still clunky, but the software overcomes that now.

#6619 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

Cool! Thought those were only on VHS and Beta?

Waiting for "my guy" to get MUN on location this week. I will even help him unload and set up for a few free plays.

#6620 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Batman '66 has turned into a very fun, deep game that any skill level can play and enjoy. Some shots are still clunky, but the software overcomes that now.

That's a valid point with the playfield photo you'd posted! Is the Hobbit really rough because of the orcs? (I'd like to get kne down the line...)

And yeah, I hope the game shifts some over time, as Batman 66 did, but people seem to think it won't. I'll get some more play in, for sure, and I really want to see how the basement effects gameplay too!

#6621 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

That's a valid point with the playfield photo you'd posted! Is the Hobbit really rough because of the orcs? (I'd like to get kne down the line...)

Hobbit playfield is just PACKED underneath and as a result, a pain to work on. I had to do the early update kit on all 4 of the pop-ups and it was a HUGE pain. I've done a complete teardown on all the hardest B/W games and that Hobbit update was the WORST.

Good news is, it comes that way from the factory now, so you likely won't have to get in there.

#6622 5 years ago

I just realized the left flipper on this Munsters is really low compared to the alignment hole. Is this a one-off mistake, or are they all coming from the factory like this. Anyone else have their left flipper resting low compared to the alignment hole?

I want to correct it, but not if it will adversely affect how it plays.

flipper-alignment (resized).jpgflipper-alignment (resized).jpg

#6623 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I just realized the left flipper on this Munsters is really low compared to the alignment hole. Is this a one-off mistake, or are they all coming from the factory like this. Anyone else have their left flipper resting low compared to the alignment hole?
[quoted image]

I doubt its supposed to be like that.... id line it up with the alignment hole

#6624 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I doubt its supposed to be like that.... id line it up with the alignment hole

That's my impulse, but it's weird that it's off by so much and no one caught it on the line.

#6625 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's my impulse, but it's weird that it's off by so much and no one caught it on the line.

Possible it moved after it was played?

#6626 5 years ago

No big deal they just didn't tighten it enough at factory.
Re adjust and tighten it yourself.

Good Luck!

#6627 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinchild:

No big deal they just didn't tighten it enough at factory.
Re adjust and tighten it yourself.
Good Luck!

It's tight. Doesn't move. It left the factory this way.

I guess I'll just fix it and see how it plays.

#6628 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

[quoted image]

More important is how it lines up with the inlane not the hole.

#6629 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Possible it moved after it was played?

I had that happen with my Houdini. Figured they got hot with longer play, and the one went downward. New to the pinball game, didn't think I'd be tinkering like that so soon, haha!

#6630 5 years ago
Quoted from Bundy:

More important is how it lines up with the inlane not the hole.

It was low by that standard, too. Already just fixed it.

#6631 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It was low by that standard, too. Already just fixed it.

Good.
I generally use a block of wood or something else which is straight and rigid and press it against the inlane guide and then make sure the flipper bat with the rubber on it also lines up with it.
I would say the alignment hole is more of a rough guideline.

#6632 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Same thing on my Maiden.

I had to adjust on day 1.

#6633 5 years ago

Went looking to find somewhere to stream the Munsters. Found all the eps on Archive.org for stream or download.
I grabbed the h264 and they look pretty good. Really weird seeing the pilot in color with different actors...

https://archive.org/details/The_Munsters

#6634 5 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

Batman66 is a killer game now, top 15 in my books.
Modes are a killer with great stacking too.

#6635 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:Batman66 is a killer game now, top 15 in my books.
Modes are a killer with great stacking too.

Then cross ya fingers Squizz

#6636 5 years ago

People who have actually played both the Pro and Premium - which one do you prefer and why?

#6637 5 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Either you like it or you don’t. Positive or negative is fine - state your thoughts and move on...move the conversation forward!

This thread would be called the owners thread and not the 'hype' thread if people would just state their opinion and move on-but it is not. This is the hype thread-people need to hype up this game and cheerlead to make Munsters look good. Other people need to bash Munsters because it is just another mediocre re-hash and they want to let people know how shallow the game is. If you are tired of people cheerleading or bitching-probably need to drain this thread and go hang out in the owner's thread. I appreciate everyone's opinions and I actually find it entertaining-good or bad-it's all good. Let the hype train keep rolling-choo choo

#6638 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

This thread would be called the owners thread and not the 'hype' thread if people would just state their opinion and move on-but it is not. This is the hype thread-people need to hype up this game and cheerlead to make Munsters look good. Other people need to bash Munsters because it is just another mediocre re-hash and they want to let people know how shallow the game is. If you are tired of people cheerleading or bitching-probably need to drain this thread and go hang out in the owner's thread. I appreciate everyone's opinions and I actually find it entertaining-good or bad-it's all good. Let the hype train keep rolling-choo choo

I think it is a good game. Nothing worth hyping nor worth really bashing.

I personally am liking the throw back code style and find it fun to shoot, even though it is JAFL. I think the "no ball save" default is odd, find the animations to be WAY too long (not skippable), and the code is yet to really bring the characters to life.

However, the risk/reward of the code makes you think and it is simple fun to play. I dig that. The art is definitely the right amount of splash but not too busy also.

I see lots of people here that have likely not even played the game yet. Go play it and form an opinion, then share.

I have been playing Beatles more, but Munsters is still getting a fair share of my quarters.

#6639 5 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

Then cross ya fingers Squizz

Have more than fingers crossed Wotto

Tho cannot see this becoming anywhere close to BM66 tbh.

#6640 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think it is a good game

I think it is not a good game for operators-I think it is a GREAT game for operators. If I was an OP-Munsters would be a must for a route. What is great about Munsters for location is it is like a modern day Adam's Family. People have always been drawn to Adam's Family on location-and it usually is one of the top earners. I think Stern is killing it with Munster's, especially with route operators. This is exactly what pinball needs to increase awareness and grow the hobby.

Now for the home owner-that is a different story. I really feel you need to love the theme to relate to this title. If you grew up with the show and you have fond memories-it would probably be a good fit for you. I just feel like it is too much of a re-hashed generic layout and the theme does nothing for me personally. I am sure it is a fun shooting game, but there are several similar Borg titles with better themes in my opinion. That is what is so great about pinball is how subjective it really is. One man's turd is another man's treasure.

#6641 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

I think it is not a good game for operators-I think it is a GREAT game for operators.

Operators will love this machine indeed, tho not really that many operators in Australia like it used to be.

I would bet that at least 85% of Pinballs sent to Aussie would be sold to home owners!

#6642 5 years ago

Hilton-How is it earning so far? How is it compared to Adam's Family-sitting next to it? I know you just got it-but I am curious?

#6643 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Hilton-How is it earning so far? How is it compared to Adam's Family-sitting next to it? I know you just got it-but I am curious?

sorry, we dont share specifics , but in general you appear to be wrong based on first assessment.

I dont believe it will be even remotely close to TAF in the long run.

Will need more data before anyone can make that call, but the first week alone is not what I hoped. Ask me in 3 months...

#6644 5 years ago

Addams Family, please

I would suspect that side by side Munsters would make Addams look very old. But then it is very old, but is still super captivating to players new and old alike. There's lessons in there to learn I suspect.

I wonder if Stern had one eye on TAF in terms of coming up with a rule set for Munsters. TAF isn't remotely deep but makes money hand over fist.

#6645 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Addams Family, please
I would suspect that side by side Munsters would make Addams look very old. But then it is very old, but is still super captivating to players new and old alike.
I wonder if Stern had one eye on TAF in terms of coming up with a rule set for Munsters. TAF isn't remotely deep but makes money hand over fist.

I think TAF has more going for it, and more toys.
But today's prices for an Adams is crazzzzy

#6646 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you appear to be wrong based on first assessment.

That is interesting and not what I would have thought. Maybe some people do not even know who the Munsters are? Time will tell-but maybe you are right and it will not even come close to Adam's Family? I was thinking because they are similar in theme that people may be attracted-but maybe not?

Any other operators care to share how well their Munsters is doing on location so far?

#6647 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

I think TAF has more going for it, and more toys.

that is my assessment.

Munsters next to TAF just showcases how empty Munsters is compared to a classic 90s game.

The only "toy" that interacts with the ball is Spot. TAF has so much more with the "oh my god did you see the hand grab the ball", the "man the power took control of the game" and the "vault opening"

Comparing TAF, a 4 flipper game with 2x the amount of stuff to Munsters is silly IMHO.

Only thing similar is code style of being more simplistic in nature (Munsters has way more strategy)

#6648 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

that is my assessment.
Munsters next to TAF just showcases how empty Munsters is compared to a classic 90s game.
The only "toy" that interacts with the ball is Spot. TAF has so much more with the "oh my god did you see the hand grab the ball", the "man the power took control of the game" and the "vault opening"
Comparing TAF, a 4 flipper game with 2x the amount of stuff to Munsters is silly IMHO.
Only thing similar is code style of being more simplistic in nature (Munsters has way more strategy)

Agree with ya mate

Luv the power taking over and the electric volt sound increasing louder and louder
It's Showtime !

I would have liked to have seen Herman doing something more than just bob up and down a little.
Maybe something like Sparky was on Metallica, Shaking his head and arms when the ball was caught in the magnet.

Don't mind spot he's ok.

But so much more could have been done.

Edit:
Regarding Dragula - Hard to fit 7 targets into that spot,
well class of 1812 Gottlieb had the right idea.
image-18 (resized).jpgimage-18 (resized).jpg

#6649 5 years ago
Quoted from JayLar:

People who have actually played both the Pro and Premium - which one do you prefer and why?

I preferred the Premium because I like the lower playfield (and the fact you can disable it if you want and use Pro rules). But I loved how smooth the Pro was.

When I played it was on a Premium where the playfield cover wasn’t flush/level so there was some ball misdirection and speed loss so it felt slower than the Pro. IMO, the Premium was fast, the Pro blazingly fast. Game play is all but identical except for Grandpa’s lab. If you don’t have a strong preference then the question boils down to “Is the mini playfield worth $1600 to you?”

I happen to like the black & white art package better, so I suspect if I get one it will be a Premium if I am reasonably confident the cover can be leveled correctly. But waiting to make a final decision (probably until fall) to see what happens with the code.

#6650 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I think it is a good game. Nothing worth hyping nor worth really bashing.
I personally am liking the throw back code style and find it fun to shoot, even though it is JAFL.

I’m stumped - what is JAFL?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
$ 39.00
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 9.00
Cabinet - Other
Mooshue's Market
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 427.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinWoofer
Sound/Speakers
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects
Sound/Speakers
14,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 133 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/133 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.