(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 123 of 164.
#6101 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Truthfully, if you are HUO and don't play tournaments, who F ing cares about huge scoring and how you get there?
You are playing against yourself and sure that matters if you are competitive but how many people really study the code, strategies and how to score higher?
Who has the time? Especially if you have a shitload of pins.
Part of the beauty of pinball is the journey over the years of each game and figuring out the nuances. Don't need to know it right away (except for TWD)

Well said iceman! Spot on brother.

#6102 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I could have said harder wood.

Longer-lasting wood?

Smoother wood?

Thicker wood?

The list goes on and on.

I'm sure it does, u JJP fanboys love "wood"

#6103 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

But everyone said munsters is fun ... it fast and flows well also. I'm looking fwd to blowing up the score and not concerned about seeing Munster madness soon after i start playing . If its a huge deal.ill change some settings and set things up more difficult just like i do on my wpc pins.

It'll definitely be set up with wide outlanes on the route I help with, too, but it sounds like even with that the ball times are long. I'm most interested to see the play difference between the Pro and Premium since I'll get a good month or 6 weeks on the Pro before the Premium comes.

#6104 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

So, better plywood, supposedly?

Plywood is better than chipboard .

#6105 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

You enjoying it so far?

Yes, but that is not necessarily a good thing since i don't tend to like what the majority tends to like, lol.

Fun to shoot, rules on the surface seems direct but some definate layers to scoring, like that the jackpot shot is appropriately tough, and plays smooth

It is for sure a throw back type game and I like that.

Art is good

My only real cmplaint is that the damn video stuff takes way too long for route play and as a player I want to beale to double flip to skip it

#6106 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Yes, but that is not necessarily a good thing since i don't tend to like what the majority tends to like, lol.
Fun to shoot, rules on the surface seems direct but some definate layers to scoring, like that the jackpot shot is appropriately tough, and plays smooth
It is for sure a throw back type game and I like that.
Art is good
My only real cmplaint is that the damn video stuff takes way too long for route play and as a player I want to beale to double flip to skip it

O wow no double flip.to skip the animations....
Also I'm glad its a throwback and has layers to the scoring ... something different from stern .

#6107 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Lol.

441EE2FC-47FD-4971-B157-4D320D9BA899 (resized).jpeg441EE2FC-47FD-4971-B157-4D320D9BA899 (resized).jpeg
#6108 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

O wow no double flip.to skip the animations....
Also I'm glad its a throwback and has layers to the scoring ... something different from stern .

This game must be pretty good because Hilton says that every Stern game sucks so by him not saying that right off the bat that tells me that this game is a must buy already!

#6109 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Again with the wood. Stop please ur killing me.

Yeah, your right. A crappy grade of plywood is better! I mean besides being prone to splitting at the seams it helps make the cabinet lighter. That's a smart move by Stern. What the hell is JJP thinking offering a quality product. Crazy!

#6110 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

This game must be pretty good because Hilton says that every Stern game sucks so by him not saying that right off the bat that tells me thst tbis game is a must buy already!

To be safe you should probably buy two

#6111 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, your right. A crappy grade of plywood is better! I mean besides being prone to splitting at the seams it helps make the cabinet lighter. That's a smart move by Stern. What the hell is JJP thinking offering a quality product. Crazy!

For the price that JJP charges i would hope that they have better materials. Would you be happy if Stern raised their prices to where JJP's were and upped their quality? Like i said earlier though who cares if a game is built rock solid if its not much fun? JJP games arent bad but there's no title that they have that makes me want to go out and buy one and even if there was I'm not paying their prices. All of my Sterns have been good games and they are fun as hell.

#6112 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Would you be happy if Stern raised their prices to where JJP's were and upped their quality?

Unfortunately when JJP looked like it was for real Stern used the cover of JJPs higher prices to raise their own without any significant increase in build quality. The JJP LEs are the best thing ever to happen for Stern.

#6113 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Unfortunately when JJP looked like it was for real Stern used the cover of JJPs higher prices to raise their own without any significant increase in build quality. The JJP LEs are the best thing ever to happen for Stern.

True dat!

#6114 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The wood he's referring to is the wood in your pants .

#6115 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Who said anything about wearing pants?

#6116 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Quoted from PinMonk:

Who said anything about wearing pants?

You can tell that the 3rd shift pinside crew has arrived.

#6118 5 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

hmm, I dont get this JJP fan boy stuff?
I have only brought Woz and sold it a few years later, and have brought sterns before and after Woz..
Played DI too but not owned personally.

I'm no fan boy, just stating facts....

Now back to Munsters shallow code....
If Stern and Dwight really do listen to their customers, they would know that the majority are wanting a deaper code!!!
Start again before you get to far don the track.

#6119 5 years ago

Had about 15 games on it on the pro..

The best about the game is:
ramp shots are very smooth, fun and feel 'new'
spot is a fun toy
artwork is one of the best

But on gameplay level not convinced unfortunately.

As modes are very easy and simple fun.. it already starts to feel repetitive (in sounds, gameplay).
You stack the jackpots but you don't have a feeling of actively building them with a strategy. There is some stuff there (boosting, making more shots, etc...) but it just doesn't translate very well to the player.
So you play some modes, get some superjackpots stacked, then try to activate some playfield multiplier, hit the zap button a little in between and finally drop it in the superjackpot shot.

Even if you play munster madness I don't walk away from the game feeling happy about it.

And even how simple it is, if feels a little chaotic.
I also miss the paused moments where you watch little munster clips (like batman 66 does)...
The game should take you inside the moment of the series, and it goes too fast in gameplay to be able to do that correctly.

So first review... not my kind of game.
Had a much better feeling when GOT or SW was new.

#6120 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

If Stern and Dwight really do listen to their customers, they would know that the majority are wanting a deaper code!!!

AND DROP TARGETS

#6121 5 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

Had about 15 games on it on the pro..
The best about the game is:
ramp shots are very smooth, fun and feel 'new'
spot is a fun toy
artwork is one of the best
But on gameplay level not convinced unfortunately.
As modes are very easy and simple fun.. it already starts to feel repetitive (in sounds, gameplay).
You stack the jackpots but you don't have a feeling of actively building them with a strategy. There is some stuff there (boosting, making more shots, etc...) but it just doesn't translate very well to the player.
So you play some modes, get some superjackpots stacked, then try to activate some playfield multiplier, hit the zap button a little in between and finally drop it in the superjackpot shot.
Even if you play munster madness I don't walk away from the game feeling happy about it.
And even how simple it is, if feels a little chaotic.
I also miss the paused moments where you watch little munster clips (like batman 66 does)...
The game should take you inside the moment of the series, and it goes too fast in gameplay to be able to do that correctly.
So first review... not my kind of game.
Had a much better feeling when GOT or SW was new.

So it sounds like it shoots good, which is a good thing. The theme and art is good so thats a good thing too. Its just the rules that you dont like. That can be easily tweaked to make the game much better so hopefully we will see some improvements in that area.

#6122 5 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

AND DROP TARGETS

Correct!!!!!!!!!

#6124 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

I have only brought Woz and sold it a few years later, and have brought sterns before and after Woz..

I guess this is a good lesson for you and the rest of us also...... dont buy games until you play them first. I hope you can sell it and recoup most of your money.

#6125 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

That sucks that you bought a game that you dont like. I guess this is a good lesson for people, don't buy games until you play them first. I hope you can sell it and recoup some of your money.

David didnt buy the game... we played it at a tournament this last saturday
and i had same feeling as him, let's admit for now, from a "player" point of view, it is too (should i use this word ?) easy to reach WM, and empty in term of gameplay

but again, this should/could be seen as a positive point for most of the other guys

#6126 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

David didnt buy the game... we played it at a tournament this last saturday
and i had same feeling as him, let's admit for now, from a "player" point of view, it is too (should i use this word ?) easy to reach WM, and empty in term of gameplay
but again, this should/could be seen as a positive point for most of the other guys

Yeah i know. I was talking about Squizz but accidently clicked on Davids name. Thats why i deleted the post.

#6127 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

to remain on that aspect of the game, i just think its STERN actual politic, they want to make their games more "simple/easy" from factory (check last code updates of MET and some others), to get in touch with more lambda players (and also for those who are playing pins not in HU situation)

i'm not saying i like that, but feel logical to me
for sure, with Munsters, lots of "so-so" players will reach the WM, they will be happy to get there, and than enjoying the pin

as an opposite example, put a "so-so" player on TWD, and this guy will be disguted in less than 5 minutes... thats not good for STERN

#6128 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

for sure, with Munsters, lots of "so-so" players will reach the WM, they will be happy to get there, and than enjoying the pin
as example, on the opposite side, put a "so-so" player on TWD, and this guy will be disguted in less than 5 minutes... thats not good for STERN

I dunno, we have a LOT of "so-so" players on the route I help with and they come back to TWD over and over even though it's tough as nails. The average game's less than 3 minutes, but they keep putting money in.

#6129 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I don't care nor will I ever care about the grade of "wood" in my pins. I've never experienced any kind of splitting cab or PF and even if I did I still wouldn't care about the "wood". Fook the "wood" thats what she said.

#6130 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

This reminds me of a time a LONG time ago when a game company sent out a wrestling game to the press that sucked as a wrestling game, so the PR firm sent it with a multi-page set of instructions as to how to play it not as a wrestling game to make it fun. Unfortunately, even with their anti-instructions, it still was not fun. I think I still have that letter. Point is, you can explain how a game is supposed to be played, but if it's repetitive or boring or not fun, that's the key takeaway. BTW the not-wrestling wrestling game bombed.
Hoping Dwight is burning the midnight oil with a couple jr programmers and artists to get more code into the game.

A better analogy would be a movie based pin based on ghosts... and on the day it first showed up... all anyone could do is get the same dog based mode. So immediately pinside rags on the game endlessly about this repetitive mode as if that and the easy multiball is all the game is about.

It's about some people getting fixated on the first thing they can latch onto... instead of having the patience to make sure they are taking the whole picture in before drawing their conclusions.

#6131 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

A better analogy would be a movie based pin based on ghosts... and on the day it first showed up... all anyone could do is get the same dog based mode. So immediately pinside rags on the game endlessly about this repetitive mode as if that and the easy multiball is all the game is about.
It's about some people getting fixated on the first thing they can latch onto... instead of having the patience to make sure they are taking the whole picture in before drawing their conclusions.

Mmmm...I don't think so. I'll get back to you later this week on that.

#6132 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I guess this is a good lesson for you and the rest of us also...... dont buy games until you play them first. .

Here in Aussie, Le's sell out normally within 24hrs of open sales, we normally never get to see game play with codeing etc.
only release pictures....

So there is no chance to sit and wait, unless you want a premium / pro

#6133 5 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

to remain on that aspect of the game, i just think its STERN actual politic, they want to make their games more "simple/easy" from factory (check last code updates of MET and some others), to get in touch with more lambda players (and also for those who are playing pins not in HU situation)
i'm not saying i like that, but feel logical to me
as an opposite example, put a "so-so" player on TWD, and this guy will be disguted in less than 5 minutes... thats not good for STERN

If Stern wanted to get the new and younger people into pinball, Munstes was a bad decision!
Maybe they should have released Toy Story if they want simple-easy for that style of code

#6134 5 years ago

I think Stern knows whos buying pins, young folk will never buy pins in my opinion and we will continue to see 70's 80's bands, 60's tv series so on and so on. Now I know ur kids might love pinball and OP's see kids playing all the time but this will not translate into a entire new generation of people buying NIB pinball machines, Its a nice thought but far fetched. Hey, I hope I'm wrong.

#6135 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Here in Aussie, Le's sell out normally within 24hrs of open sales, we normally never get to see game play with codeing etc.
only release pictures....
So there is no chance to sit and wait, unless you want a premium / pro

Cant you get your deposit back if you dont like the game? I’ll be damned if i would risk that kind of money not having a clue how a game was. To each their own though i guess.

#6136 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

If Stern wanted to get the new and younger people into pinball, Munstes was a bad decision!
Maybe they should have released Toy Story if they want simple-easy for that style of code

Yeah, it's certainly a middle aged theme but Stern knows their demographic. This is not a title to entice the younger generation.

As for rules.

Don't expect major adjustments as unlike GOTG that bombed initially because of unfinished code, this game has sold a ton.

And it's a Dwight game, so whilst there will be updates and things added, can't see any major changes really.

Not every game needs to be as hard as nails, so this seems to be a 'nostalgic beginner's pin' so take it for what it is!

#6137 5 years ago

I suppose I’m expecting too much after Batman 66 coded by Lyman. I’ve just been watching Munsters and there are a ton of things that could be added to make a great story line like Batman has, with places that make sense for a pause. Example: transition to lower playfield so screen can be watched, as video pauses for transitions to the bat pole etc. Kawabunga Batman!

#6138 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Yeah, it's certainly a middle aged theme but Stern knows their demographic. This is not a title to entice the younger generation.
As for rules.
Don't expect major adjustments as unlike GOTG that bombed initially because of unfinished code, this game has sold a ton.
And it's a Dwight game, so whilst there will be updates and things added, can't see any major changes really.
Not every game needs to be as hard as nails, so this seems to be a 'nostalgic beginner's pin' so take it for what it is!

Sad but true I must admit.

Have STLE, Very nice work from Dwight!

Stayed away from GBLE due to code, but wanted it so badly - Still holding off after so many years! Disgrace

Now Munster's Just feels like a slap in the face with a wet fish regarding code after waiting so long for this great title
Cannot win of late.

I really hope if Jaw's gets the go ahead that Lyman is on the code!

#6139 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

I suppose I’m expecting too much after Batman 66 coded by Lyman. I’ve just been watching Munsters and there are a ton of things that could be added to make a great story line like Batman has with place that make sense for a pause, like long to lower playfield so screen can be watched, like transitions to the bat pole etc. Kawabunga!

Yup, Sold my Batman 66 to get Munsters LE
I guess I should have learnt from the past, Stick with Lyman on pre orders.

#6140 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

However, in my opinion 5 modes on a modern pin based off of a TV show and costing $6k-$9k is not enough. For the price Stern is charging the level 2 and level 3 modes for the 5 character modes should all be unique with their own unique assets.

My problem is I keep comparing Munsters to Borg's masterpiece- X-MEN Magneto LE. X-MEN has been my favorite modern game for some time now and the amount of variety and features on that game blow Munsters out of the water. I also compare his other masterpiece-Metallica to Munsters and it makes Munsters look stripped down to me. If I did not own Borg's best games I might consider a Munsters, but right now it is not even on my slightly interested list. I do agree with you, that for what Stern is charging for this modern title-it is difficult to justify the pricing, especially when you have better options when it comes to other Borg titles. For those of you who have not checked out X-MEN LE-I highly recommend it-best modern layout.

#6141 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

no, not new & younger (they are welcome of course, and also considered here when talking about the difficulty of the pin)
but all the lambda players, in fact the bigger mass, to simply try to touch a maximum of guys/customers

also, i'll agree with what was said above, as not all games have to be hard and/or deep to play

#6142 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Yup, Sold my Batman 66 to get Munsters LE

OMG! Batman is absolutely an untouchable game for me. Can’t imagine any game I would consider selling it for.

Hope you weren’t a huge fan of it and that Munsters works out for you (or that you can get a Batman back easily)

#6143 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

My problem is I keep comparing Munsters to Borg's masterpiece- X-MEN Magneto LE. X-MEN has been my favorite modern game for some time now and the amount of variety and features on that game blow Munsters out of the water. I also compare his other masterpiece-Metallica to Munsters and it makes Munsters look stripped down to me. If I did not own Borg's best games I might consider a Munsters, but right now it is not even on my slightly interested list. I do agree with you, that for what Stern is charging for this modern title-it is difficult to justify the pricing, especially when you have better options when it comes to other Borg titles. For those of you who have not checked out X-MEN LE-I highly recommend it-best modern layout.

Totally agree. I have said the same for years .. Xmen = Best recent-ish Stern layout. It blows Munsters out of the water. No comparison.

Some folk are saying Munsters 'shoots well' ...maybe, but it's such an utterly uninspiring layout. At the EAG in London none of the guys I was with really wanted to play it after a few games.

#6144 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

did you get any time on Beatles? Which did you like better?

Beatles was very disappointing. The art is fine, but everything else was a huge let down. Again - will play it on route.

#6145 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Beatles was very disappointing. The art is fine, but everything else was a huge let down. Again - will play it on route.

interesting. I thought you would really like Beatles (since you like older style games). I find it to be super fun to play, code just needs quite a bit of polish.

Pricetag is just insane!

I do fear that we wont see code updates based on the apparent poor sales numbers...

#6146 5 years ago

The only thing crazier than buying an LE before you’re ever flipped a game, is letting somebody else’s impression of said game determine how you feel about it.

This place gets nuttier every day.

This machine is super fun to play.

If you don’t love it, then sell it after enjoying it for a while. How much of a hit are you realistically going to take?! A couple of hundred bucks? You might make a bit of money, or break even. Nobody knows.

The question isn’t, “Is it 8K worth of fun?!”... The question is “Is it (hmmm, anywhere from $300 to me making a few bucks) worth of fun”

When was the last time somebody bought an LE and sold it for ZERO dollars?! The “value” discussion is so pointless. It’s totally out to lunch.

This theme is perfect for pinball. The Black and White Premium is a standout design wise, and people are clamouring for LEs.

Another Stern Homerun, and the accompanying Pinside freakout!!

I can’t wait to play it again.

#6147 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

When was the last time somebody bought an LE and sold it for ZERO dollars?! The “value” discussion is so pointless. It’s totally out to lunch.

Well, it's not zero, but WWE LE owners took a bath and are still sinking. XMEN LE owners lost a few thousand, too. Ask them if they think the value discussion is pointless.

#6148 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

The only thing crazier than buying an LE before you’re ever flipped a game, is letting somebody else’s impression of said game determine how you feel about it.
This place gets nuttier every day.
This machine is super fun to play.
If you don’t love it, then sell it after enjoying it for a while. How much of a hit are you realistically going to take?! A couple of hundred bucks? You might make a bit of money, or break even. Nobody knows.
The question isn’t, “Is it 8K worth of fun?!”... The question is “Is it (hmmm, anywhere from $300 to me making a few bucks) worth of fun”
This theme is perfect for pinball. The Black and White Premium is a standout design wise, and people are clamouring for LEs.
Another Stern Homerun, and the accompanying Pinside freakout!!
I can’t wait to play it again.

You are making Gary feel proud...

#6149 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, it's not zero, but WWE LE owners took a bath and are still sinking. XMEN LE owners lost a few thousand, too. Ask them if they think the value discussion is pointless.

Add in Avengers too

#6150 5 years ago
Quoted from MapleSyrup:

No offense intended here, but we both know you can afford that easily. When that kind of money isn't an issue it's easy to play with it. There's a lot of hype and magical thinking on Pinside that kind of assumes everyone has thousands to throw around, and losing money a month later if you get bored is whatever. The value discussion being called pointless is frankly a privileged attitude. You know I like and respect you too, so don't take it personally, but come on.

I begrudge no one their wealth, or decision to blow it all on toys. Live your life. I agree that the negative feedback loop can get tiring. But I also think the hype loop is just as bad, and there's no reason to berate people for saying "slow down a bit". If we're not here to share and listen then what's the point?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

9,564 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 123 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/123?hl=aussiegeorge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.