(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 119 of 164.
#5901 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Compared to the rest of society, I am that deep pocketed collector type... I dropped $8300 on a NIB pin recently and didn’t bat an eye at the expense. That is not something that makes me proud to say by the way. How many people who play pinball actually own a machine? There are plenty on here who look at anyone spending big $$$ on a pinball machine as a snobby rich mother f--ker, and I don’t know that many people personally who have a hobby other than guns, cars, or fine art who spend more on their hobbies in general than pinheads. And pinheads with deep pockets buy LE’s... I did. Now did I say all LE buyers are deep pocketed?, no but damn, who is eating ramen and selling their plasma to by a Munsters LE?!? I’ll send ya a case of ramen if you ask.

$8300 toy makes u "deep pocketed" oh wait you didn't bat an eye.

#5902 5 years ago
Quoted from Riffbear:

I've owned Monster Bash twice. Would I own it ever again? Most likely not, tho it is a great game and also VERY basic.
Am really looking forward to Munsters.
Something new and you can't beat the LCD screen.
Another title I cannot wait for is Beatles.
Basic rules and fun. Not a headache to progress.... breath of fresh air.

Well "basic" really is a "breath of fresh air" with the Beatles.

I play it more and more. Fun to shoot, watch the LCD and listen to the tunes. Plus it F ing gorgeous!

So if MB is basic too, that's what i'm looking for in a theme like that.

#5903 5 years ago

The main thing to remember tho is code, Its ok to say that it will be great for the below average players,
but if you are always getting to Munster Madness even for the average players, the lasting appeal just isn't going to last.

This will end up being a real shame imo.

#5904 5 years ago

It’s not gonna end up a shame because if they do half of what he did on Star Wars it will be perfect.
Hell not even that much.
I know Jack shit but from I am gathering less can be more then just add some here and there.
I think they will add something.
May not be tons but something.

#5905 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

The main thing to remember tho is code, Its ok to say that it will be great for the below average players,
but if you are always getting to Munster Madness even for the average players, the lasting appeal just isn't going to last.
This will end up being a real shame imo.

It will be fine i guarantee it. Everybody isnt going to like it but thats with any game. The masses will love this pinball machine. This game has been well thought out and the people involved in it at Stern have put a lot of effort into this game. This game is gorgeous and i can't wait to see and play it.

#5906 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

It will be fine i guarantee it. Everybody isnt going to like it but thats with any game. The masses will love this pinball machine. This game has been well thought out and the people involved in it at Stern have put a lot of effort into this game. This game is gorgeous and i can't wait to see and play it.

Agreed i don't care for starwars or got but i like munsters.

#5907 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Agreed i don't care for starwars or got but i like munsters.

I truly believe that they wanted this game to be special. Im a little disappointed that they didn't put drop targets in the Lily and Dragula spots but overall i love what i see with this game. I think its been one of the funnest and most exciting reveals ever. The artwork really set this game over the top also. This game is stunning to look at.

#5908 5 years ago

Lasting appeal;

I sometimes think many people here buy basically for themselves. (which is totally fine).

Maybe think about those of us that may have kids..their friends..grand kids over all the time.
Another reason for staying power in my collection. I enjoy watching them getting a kick out it.

As someone posted here. (pic) gotta love it guys...come on.
Edit; credit picture to @beastmaster1981

kids (resized).jpgkids (resized).jpg

#5909 5 years ago
Quoted from ShinyBall:

Lasting appeal;
I sometimes think many people here buy basically for themselves. (which is totally fine).
Maybe think about those of us that may have kids..their friends..grand kids over all the time.
Another reason for staying power in my collection. I enjoy watching them getting a kick out it.
As someone posted here. (pic) gotta love it guys...come on.
[quoted image]

You can definitely tell that those kids are loving it can't you? That picture is proof that you dont have to be 55 or 60 (or 100 ) to love the Munsters!

#5910 5 years ago

OMG! Think of the children... having a crap ton of fun! The horor!.. This reminded me so much of me and my brother in 1967, except we would have been on a Gottlieb wedgehead, most likely Hurdy Gurdy or a Subway... at my dad’s bowling league nite at Past Time lanes.

#5911 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You can definitely tell that those kids are loving it can't you? That picture is proof that you dont have to be 55 or 60 (or 100 ) to love the Munsters!

I honestly never seen the show but enjoy the quirky fun monster theme and everything about the pin reminds me wpc pins which are my favorites overall. However i will be having/watching munsters over the next week before my pin arrives.

#5912 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

I honestly never seen the show but enjoy the quirky fun monster theme and everything about the pin reminds me wpc pins which are my favorites overall. However i will be having/watching munsters over the next week before my pin arrives.

If you are getting a Munsters pin you definitely gotta watch the show! I think you will like it a lot. Its funny as hell.

#5913 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If you are getting a Munsters pin you definitely gotta watch the show! I think you will like it a lot. Its funny as hell.

Just ordered the box set and got 1 day shipping... ill be watching it starting sat evening

#5914 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its definitely more involved than system 11 pins are. Its more like monster bash but with more to the jackpots/multipliers and risk vs reward aspect.

I am less sure about that first part of your statement. The thing munster lacks is that after a game of it I never had that "if only I had one more ball, if only I'd hit that shot" With many sys11 and even early SS pins I have that feeling a lot!

The second part I agree with you in that there are huge similarities between the games - but there isn't much risk.

#5915 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

I am less sure about that first part of your statement. The thing munster lacks is that after a game of it I never had that "if only I had one more ball, if only I'd hit that shot" With many sys11 and even early SS pins I have that feeling a lot!
The second part I agree with you in that there are huge similarities between the games - but there isn't much risk.

I was stating that the code is allready more evolved than system 11 pins.
The risk is saving all your super and regular jackpots up for the high multiplier ...... if u wait to long and fail you get nothing bc your game is over. Its about getting everything lined up for the big payoff in Munster madness but if u drain out you get nothing. I think it will be a good tournament pin bc of this .... plus they set games very difficult like a lot of folks will do. Mb dont have the holding of that stuff which is why it will hold peoples attention more so imo..... plus more code will come as the game was just announced .

#5916 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I recall the Munsters Today (80s remake) show. It seemed like the humor came from making cheesy puns based around mixing every day words with horror words. Like something the Cryptkeeper may do. Not very funny and gets old. I’m assuming the original Munsters wasn’t as reliant on this type of humor style?

#5917 5 years ago

I bought the boxed set last week. Watched a few of the first episodes with my 15 year old son. He thought it was funny, but after the first three episodes, he asked, "Dad, what's the deal? Is the plot of every show just them trying to get Marilyn laid?"

#5918 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

I recall the Munsters Today (80s remake) show. It seemed like the humor came from making cheesy puns based around mixing every day words with horror words. Like something the Cryptkeeper may do. Not very funny and gets old. I’m assuming the original Munsters wasn’t as reliant on this type of humor style?

Correct.

#5919 5 years ago
Quoted from ViolinSteve:

I bought the boxed set last week. Watched a few of the first episodes with my 15 year old son. He thought it was funny, but after the first three episodes, he asked, "Dad, what's the deal? Is the plot of every show just them trying to get Marilyn laid?"

lol

I love the Munsters theme and have a game on order, but there's a reason the show only lasted two seasons.

#5920 5 years ago

I think the Munsters as a show could be summed up by contrasting it to it’s rival, The Addams Family, and I will not do that here but to say, this is like a James Lipton question on Inside the Actors Studio interviews... “which are you, Munsters or Addams Family?” Because that is pretty much how people fall, you are either in one creepy campy camp or the other, and with Munsters, the comedy was situational based usually on Herman and Grandpa’s shinanigans, with Lily and Marilyn providing “adult” and “normal” supervision, respectively. Much of the humor is based on how clueless the Munsters are to how scary they come off to normal people, and they have the perfect foil in Marilyn, their niece, who is normal, but just as clueless on the scary aspects, so she constantly fuels the confusion by bringing home normal guys to meet the family, who are always scared off when they see Herman, Granpa, Eddie, and/or Lily. Add different “situations” to this mix every week and you get The Munsters. Now you just need to watch the show, play the pin, and enjoy.

#5921 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

The risk is saving all your super and regular jackpots up for the high multiplier ...... if u wait to long and fail you get nothing bc your game is over. Its about getting everything lined up for the big payoff in Munster madness but if u drain out you get nothing.

But you don't lose the points you have gained, from memory Dwight said that the points carry from ball to ball.
Where's the risk

#5922 5 years ago

I've been following the Munster hype for months now and finally succumbed to it. I ordered a Munsters Pro last night from Zach at Flip N Out Pinball. My wife and I are excited to add it to our small pin collection.

#5923 5 years ago

So let's do an in thread poll . If you are buying the game and you have played it give me a up vote. If you are buying the game and have not played it give me a down vote.

#5924 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

So let's do an in thread poll . If you are buying the game and you have played it give me a up vote. If you are buying the game and have not played it give me a down vote.

I will be playing it before i buy but I haven’t played it yet.....hopefully the local (well somewhat local) barcade will have it in this week so i can play it. I am dying to see this game, been waiting forever for this!

#5925 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

I think the Munsters as a show could be summed up by contrasting it to it’s rival, The Addams Family, and I will not do that here but to say, this is like a James Lipton question on Inside the Actors Studio interviews... “which are you, Munsters or Addams Family?” Because that is pretty much how people fall, you are either in one creepy campy camp or the other, .

As a youngster, I was Addams family, Now I want both (as a remake for TAF)..won't happen...but, would love it if it would. Now, is the time...just like back in 1964..competing...bring it and I will buy.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5926 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

You are a funny guy

#5927 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

I’ve played it, but still haven’t decided. I’m more likely than not to buy one so giving you a thumbs up anyway. But I would have flipped the thumbs up/down criteria.

#5928 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I played t, but still haven’t decided. I’m more likely than not to buy one so giving you a thumbs up anyway. But I would have flipped the thumbs up/down criteria.

But then it wouldn't be so funny

#5929 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I played t, but still haven’t decided. I’m more likely than not to buy one so giving you a thumbs up anyway. But I would have flipped the thumbs up/down criteria.

So what are your thoughts after playing it jfh? Did you love it, find it to be nothing special and just ok or what?

#5930 5 years ago

Just trying to figure out how many people throw their money at it without playing first, I know I wouldn't buy a new car without driving it. Up or down does it really matter?

Quoted from jfh:

#5931 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Just trying to figure out how many people throw their money away without playing first, I know I wouldn't buy a new car without driving it. Up or down does it really matter?

Ok now I don't feel too bad about the down vote..I didn't throw away my money

#5932 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Just trying to figure out how many people throw their money away without playing first, I know I wouldn't buy a new car without driving it. Up or down does it really matter?

Don't tell me what to my monies.
Carguments... Really?

#5933 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

So what are your thoughts after playing it jfh? Did you love it, find it to be nothing special and just ok or what?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/109#post-4792286

#5934 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

But you don't lose the points you have gained, from memory Dwight said that the points carry from ball to ball.
Where's the risk

if u drain and your game ends without collecting them.....

#5935 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

"Throwing money away" seems a bit harsh. Even if I decide the game is not a keeper and resell it at a loss, I'm pretty sure the fun I have for 3, 6, or 9 months will cover that expense.

Now, would I spend close to 6K on a pin I hadn't played, knowing I had absolutely no chance of recouping any of it? ... No.

Would, I spend close to 6K on a pin I hadn't played, knowing I could recoup 80 to 85% of my money if I didn't want to keep it? ... well, I just did, so that answer is obviously, Yes.

#5936 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Just trying to figure out how many people throw their money at it without playing first, I know I wouldn't buy a new car without driving it. Up or down does it really matter?

I haven’t played it, but I like the art packages found on the Premium and LE. That was enough for me.

#5937 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Playing a game first makes good sense considering how much these games cost. With that being said though, in this day and age of the awesome pinball streams that we have and all of the discussions on the internet about these games, i think a person can tell if he or she will like a game or not and be pretty safe about buying without playing.....still not smart probably but not totally stupid either. I bought AS without playing it and that turned out great. I would buy Munsters as well without playing it thanks to all of the streams and pinside chat about the game. I definitely try and play before i buy though, problem is a lot of people dont have any pinball places near them to do that so they have to rely on streams and pinside.

#5939 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

I wouldn't buy a new car without driving it. Up or down does it really matter?

There’s exceptions... I order all my cars without driving them, just for the looks and reviews.... same with The Munsters Pinball in my personal case.

#5940 5 years ago

Munsters seems to be selling well..

"Some good news and some bad news for Munsters Pinball fans- Since the release of Munsters, all the 600 LE’s have sold out, and Stern are reporting record queries on the PRO, AND almost all the Premium production has been sold out for the month of March."

#5941 5 years ago

The only way to know FOR SURE a machine is for you is by playing the machine, but @who-dey I think is right, not all can get to a show or distributor showroom (if they still have one) or even on site to play before you buy, and so the early adopters may need to either take risks or do what ever they can to see game play or reviews...

#5942 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

... I know I wouldn't buy a new car without driving it. ...

my last three vehicle purchases I didn't drive them first. I simply called the salesman at the dealership, made sure they had what I wanted, told him to work the numbers... way way way less stress that way, went in, signed the paperwork and drove my new truck home!

#5943 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

The only way to know FOR SURE a machine is for you is by playing the machine...

And not even then. Cause you may get bored of any game at anytime .

#5944 5 years ago

I feel I have little to no risk buying Munsters before playing.I like the way every Stern plays but GB but I don't own any because I haven't liked a theme they've done.I've been waiting on a theme that I like and Munsters is it.if it plays like Metallica cool,ACDC cool,got cool,gotg cool.....

#5945 5 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I feel I have little to no risk buying Munsters before playing.I like the way every Stern plays but GB but I don't own any because I haven't liked a theme they've done.I've been waiting on a theme that I like and Munsters is it.if it plays like Metallica cool,ACDC cool,got cool,gotg cool.....

I agree with this totally. I love how all the new Stern games play. Another thing, we are talking about A John Borg designed game here. How many bad games has Borg made? None that i know of.....he is a great designer and makes killer games! Its a pretty damn safe bet when you go with a game that he has desined, dude is awesome.

#5946 5 years ago

Ironically the only stern I have is Sharkey's shootout the last game Borg and Dwight worked on

#5947 5 years ago

The other issue I have to address when 'buying without playing' is trying to secure an LE.
Locally, here in Toronto, for the higher demand LEs (ie: Maiden, Munsters, etc), you would typically have to buy prior to playing.
Unfortunately, I can't wait until a Pro arrives and play one, as the LEs will all be spoken for.
The demand for these tends to outstrip the supply and it's a first come first served kind of approach.
Not sure if this is going to change any time soon.

#5948 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

The original was situational humor mostly, but there was some three-stooges type stuff, too. It actually holds up better than I was expecting.

#5949 5 years ago
Quoted from crazypinballguy:

"Throwing money away" seems a bit harsh. Even if I decide the game is not a keeper and resell it at a loss, I'm pretty sure the fun I have for 3, 6, or 9 months will cover that expense.
Now, would I spend close to 6K on a pin I hadn't played, knowing I had absolutely no chance of recouping any of it? ... No.
Would, I spend close to 6K on a pin I hadn't played, knowing I could recoup 80 to 85% of my money if I didn't want to keep it? ... well, I just did, so that answer is obviously, Yes.

I grew up with nothing so money matters to me. I have to work hard for everything I own. I don't like losing money on things so I guess I'm one of those guys that comes in and buys one of these second-hand games. Like I did on TWD!

#5950 5 years ago

The Munsters Custom 1313 Mockingbird Lane Shooter plate mod. Be warned you are plunging into a world of Fun with The Munsters. This simple yet highly detailed add on is a fitting theme piece to enter the Munsters home! Airbrushed and hand detailed in bronze down to the scary spider web accents. Simple and reversible installation. Knock on the door for a cool looking mod! Available now from our Website store. Thanks as always for all your interest!!

www.TheModCouplePinball.com

The Mod Couple

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg2 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple
Protection
$ 39.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 119 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/119?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.