(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 164.
#5701 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

why is everyone so fixated on starting the level 1 mayhem?
You should be talking about who is managing to stack their supers WITH the multiplier up, then starting the payoff mode.
The game has a playfield multiplier that you can reset the timer on! The juice is in the delayed jackpots, multipliers, and then collecting your mini-wiz mode.
It's like BSD or ACDC... the thrill isn't in simply starting the objective.. it's getting the objective with the right things together.

Thank you

#5702 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Bahahah, Look at the wait for Ghostbusters code
Cannot see myself waiting for years on Munsters to be updated. Sorry
I think already enough people are worried about the way the code is headed.
In theory the idea for all to see Munster Madness was maybe a nice thought, but it's just going to get old quick for home buyers.
But boy I hope I'm wrong

Same. I won't consider purchasing Munsters until Ghostbusters code is finished. Code brings these games alive and if the games code isn't going to be finished / polished there's no point in buying them other then to have a 6k-$10k box of lights to stare at.

With the way Ghostbusters code has been handled I currently have 0 trust that Stern won't do the same thing with Munsters.

#5703 5 years ago

Bug or feature -

My wife and I played a number of two player games yesterday. After punching in player 2 the game stayed with Player 2 displayed and player 2 played first, then the game went to player 1.

Was this backwards because the norms in the Munsters are backwards? Or just a bug in the 0.90 level code?

Either way, it was very confusing. Should have thought to try a 3 or 4 player game to see what happened with those.

#5704 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

why is everyone so fixated on starting the level 1 mayhem?
You should be talking about who is managing to stack their supers WITH the multiplier up, then starting the payoff mode.
The game has a playfield multiplier that you can reset the timer on! The juice is in the delayed jackpots, multipliers, and then collecting your mini-wiz mode.
It's like BSD or ACDC... the thrill isn't in simply starting the objective.. it's getting the objective with the right things together.

Iv thought about this often. Is it a good code/Pin if your not fixated on getting to Munster madness?!?! Is it good if you can push that out of your head and conceive it’s in an essence an easy mini wizard that is simply a step going forward to the next level for an even greater amount of scoring potential.

#5705 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Shadow is a B+ game, but no where near as excellent as the other flagship titles. The very tight mode start shot alone is enough reason to ding the overall rating. Throw in the lack of humor except for a couple of cheesy Tim Curry modes and the average artwork and this game sits where it sits correctly. I have owned an awesome example, and like the game a lot, but to call it an all time great seems like a warped sense of reality.

I’m with the opposite club. It is up with the greats and an A+ title. Making the mode shot harder would ruin the game. This game is bloody difficult, but boy is it satisfying when you nail the shots. Second best mini pf of all time: easy to access, but tough to beat. Only down is translite, which is an easy swap. The hidden laugh mode literally makes me laugh as I play. Call outs are also crazy awesome. This game is the best value buy in all of pinball imho.

#5706 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Can we hate him for calling his daughter a pig and being abusive to his wife?

If you are the type of guy who wants to be known for standing up for women & children, yes.

#5707 5 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

You can’t turn his voice off.

That was not Alec, it was Tim Kitzrow doing the Shadow's voice on the pin.

(with a little sample of Shatner yelling out "Khan!")

cyoru (resized).jpgcyoru (resized).jpg
#5708 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

It doesn't help that Lyman has been stuck coding that turd layout BM66 for fricking forever. Even Lyman can't polish a turd. Borg/Lyman is the combination I'm holding out for. I was really hoping that Lyman would be on Munster code. I would have ordered the premium day 1. I'm just not a fan of Dwights code.

If BM66 is a turd, I hope they polish many more... It’s super fun! The playfield layout is meant to be quirky and giddy, integrating with the theme.

#5709 5 years ago

With all the positive feedback on this thread i just orderd a pro thank you pinside

#5710 5 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Iv thought about this often. Is it a good code/Pin if your not fixated on getting to Munster madness?!?! Is it good if you can push that out of your head and conceive it’s in an essence an easy mini wizard that is simply a step going forward to the next level for an even greater amount of scoring potential.

My point was, that one objective really isn't the only thing to the game.. and from a player perspective (since that is what this fuss has paraded itself as), it's likely not even the most interesting/impactful part of the game.

The game isn't a closed mode game... its a 'feature' game where you enable things and those boost your scoring potential by changing things or giving you different objectives.

As a player, the biggest thing that stood out to me was the kitty awards, and then hearing the timer can be RESET.. when it was already a minute to start with? Helllooo... that's where I'm looking unless the wizard mode somehow has exponential scoring compared to the rest of the normal game scoring.

Not everyone needs to be a great player looking to exploit games to the max... but please [random thread complainer] don't scream from the mountain tops about how awful something is when you don't even know how to dissect what is there and its potential.

The irony is the over simplified players are complaining about the features made so the game is more approachable to the simple players! *facepalm*

If the wizard mode should be the focus of 'good' or 'fun'... I think that's just simplifed thought and not really a universal question/answer. The game needs to provide satisfaction and reward to be fun... that doesn't always come from the wizard mode. Encore in AC/DC is brutal to even attempt to get to on standard settings.. I don't even try, and it doesn't impact what I find the game to be fun or not.

#5711 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

They just have to learn to stay out of his parking space (or get punched in the face).
No one can hate a man that has given $20m of his own earnings to help disadvantaged children.
[quoted image]

Sure they can. Charitable giving doesn’t forgive bad behavior or sheer stupidity. I’ll be impressed only when one of these asshats gives away all of their money.

#5712 5 years ago

Real reason you all hate Shadow backglass is because Alec Baldwin is staring lovingly into your eyes...

#5713 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

My point was, that one objective really isn't the only thing to the game.. and from a player perspective (since that is what this fuss has paraded itself as), it's likely not even the most interesting/impactful part of the game.
The game isn't a closed mode game... its a 'feature' game where you enable things and those boost your scoring potential by changing things or giving you different objectives.
As a player, the biggest thing that stood out to me was the kitty awards, and then hearing the timer can be RESET.. when it was already a minute to start with? Helllooo... that's where I'm looking unless the wizard mode somehow has exponential scoring compared to the rest of the normal game scoring.
Not everyone needs to be a great player looking to exploit games to the max... but please [random thread complainer] don't scream from the mountain tops about how awful something is when you don't even know how to dissect what is there and its potential.
The irony is the over simplified players are complaining about the features made so the game is more approachable to the simple players! *facepalm*
If the wizard mode should be the focus of 'good' or 'fun'... I think that's just simplifed thought and not really a universal question/answer. The game needs to provide satisfaction and reward to be fun... that doesn't always come from the wizard mode. Encore in AC/DC is brutal to even attempt to get to on standard settings.. I don't even try, and it doesn't impact what I find the game to be fun or not.

Yes I agree! I just think the structure is different from what we are accustomed to. I’m just hoping those other elements give me satisfying game play. Such as the kitty you talked about or trying to stack Lilly with the other modes. Or hitting jackpots and relighting them. Honestly seems like a fairly complex code. My fingers are crossed that this equates to FUN!
Would be kinda cool if second tier you had to complete modes to light! Would ease my mind a little

#5714 5 years ago

I'm sure Munsters game play will drastically change with future updates just as GOTG has...

#5715 5 years ago

I think the title of this thread needs to change again. “Munsters Hysteria” is starting to seem more fitting. This train just keeps on arollin’.

#5716 5 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

I'm sure Munsters game play will drastically change with future updates just as GOTG has...

If I recall correctly Munsters games that have been streamed are running code v 0.90, GOTG shipped with v 0.72. Whether or not that number is arbitrary, it would seem that Munsters is much closer to a complete game, code wise, if we are to believe that v 1.0 is a game that is complete in the mind of the designers and programmers.

#5717 5 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

From the Head2Head interview it seemed like Munsters was much closer to complete at this point. I highly doubt you'll see large changes in the overall structure of the rules, just tweaks and refinements from here on out (maybe another wizard mode added or something too).

#5718 5 years ago
Quoted from cletus:

I think the title of this thread needs to change again. “Munsters Hysteria” is starting to seem more fitting. This train just keeps on arollin’.

Crazy that anyone would have strong opinions/concerns on a 5k-8k product. Ever been to a TV forum? Extremely more critical than here.

#5719 5 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

From the Head2Head interview it seemed like Munsters was much closer to complete at this point. I highly doubt you'll see large changes in the overall structure of the rules, just tweaks and refinements from here on out (maybe another wizard mode added or something too).

Sounds like Munsters is purposely going to have a more simpler ruleset. Not sure why Stern is going this direction with one of their cornerstone games. The concept of having 3 levels of modes for the 5 characters sounds cool but only if there's unique rules, sounds and animations for each level. Just doubling points and making players hit X number of more shots sounds repetitive.

Personally I would have liked to see the 3 modes per character offer unique rules, sounds and animations. Have each level based on a different scene / event from the show for that character. Same goes for each wizard mode level versus just making Munster Madness more difficult.

#5720 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Crazy that anyone would have strong opinions/concerns on a 5k-8k product. Ever been to a TV forum? Extremely more critical than here.

Or the videogame world, where people bitch and moan about how much content is in a $60 game while forgetting games have only increased in cost once in the last 28 years.

#5721 5 years ago

I have a Munsters coming and I really don’t mind some games with a shallow rule set. An actual shot at a wizard mode would be a nice switch. System 11 games are popular because they have an approachable rule set and they shoot well. Not every game has to be a Keefer novel that I’ll never get to finish.

#5722 5 years ago
Quoted from DylanFan71:

I have a Munsters coming and I really don’t mind some games with a shallow rule set. An actual shot at a wizard mode would be a nice switch. System 11 games are popular because they have an approachable rule set and they shoot well. Not every game has to be a Keefer novel that I’ll never get to finish.

Yep, a deep story based rule set is not for me.

#5723 5 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Yep, a deep story based rule set is not for me.

I just treated it dialed in towards a beautiful Funhouse in Fish Tales. I don’t want deep with every pin but I do want fun.

Still the price is WAY too high to me, to have shallow code. Price is a factor.

#5724 5 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

Code is at 0.90 now. Not sure it’s reasonable to expect a drastic change without buy in from Dwight and perhaps not even then. Certainly Stern has an idea of early interest (which seems to be far better than other recent titles) which doesn’t seem to be impacted by the currently implemented code.

#5725 5 years ago

Already have my Grandpa shooter rod done, now to just get the pin.

I have a few extras that I made, these are hand painted resin and are mounted to a shooter rod. I might end up making some Herman ones but they take quite a bit of time to make so I will have to see.

I have an ad on the market place for the extra ones I currently have if anyone is interested.

IMG_20190120_1837176_01 (resized).jpgIMG_20190120_1837176_01 (resized).jpg
#5726 5 years ago

I see the attraction to Munsters for sure (it’s a nice looking game), but price is a major factor. A pinball game at these high prices, better have deep code and be packed out as far as mechs and toys or it’s not worthy of a home purchase.

At current day high prices, I’ll have fun with it on location. If I’m paying $6 to 10k, it better have visible value and deep long lasting code, so no one gets bored in my home. I’m paying for a world under glass, not just mainly art and lights under glass.

#5727 5 years ago

One of the (only) things I don't like so far on Munsters (or anywhere else) are stickers on the ramps. Looks like Marylyn and the stairs are stickers over the steel ramp. I think that's an example of artistry over practicality.

#5728 5 years ago
Quoted from Ven:

Already have my Grandpa shooter rod done, now to just get the pin.
I have a few extras that I made, these are hand painted resin and are mounted to a shooter rod. I might end up making some Herman ones but they take quite a bit of time to make so I will have to see.
I have an ad on the market place for the extra ones I currently have if anyone is interested.
[quoted image]

Nice work!

#5729 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

I see the attraction to Munsters for sure (it’s a nice looking game), but price is a major factor. A pinball game at these high prices, better have deep code and be packed out as far as mechs and toys or it’s not worthy of a home purchase.
At current day high prices, I’ll have fun with it on location. If I’m paying $6 to 10k, it better have visible value and deep long lasting code, so no one gets bored in my home. I’m paying for a world under glass, not just mainly art and lights under glass.

Meh... super deep code is overrated sometimes.... I've had some the deepest pins and they didn't last long .... but bsd, afm and ft and many others lasted year's . There's a balance needed with layout, theme integration, sound/music/callouts, lighting and overall just how fun it is to shoot that makes a good pin.

#5730 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Meh... super deep code is overrated sometimes.... I've had some the deepest pins and they didn't last long .... but bsd, afm and ft and many others lasted year's . There's a balance needed with layout, theme integration, sound/music/callouts, lighting and overall just how fun it is to shoot that makes a good pin.

Couldn't have said it better myself. You are 100% correct bigd!

#5731 5 years ago

I'm ok with the code but the shallow code COMBINED with those long bar targets that will effectively "take care of themselves" in general gameplay, stops me from rushing in like I was going to.

I think those those long targets will make a simple game WAY TOO easy. And i am far from a great player.

#5732 5 years ago

Thanks..

#5733 5 years ago
Quoted from Wotto:

I'm ok with the code but the shallow code COMBINED with those long bar targets that will effectively "take care of themselves" in general gameplay, stops me from rushing in like I was going to.
I think those those long targets will make a simple game WAY TOO easy. And i am far from a great player.

One could probably adjust the targets switches so it takes a direct hit to activate rather than a random ricochet. That's what I will do to mine

#5734 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

One could probably adjust the targets switches so it takes a direct hit to activate rather than a random ricochet. That's what I will do to mine

Don't think that’s possible. There are only two switches and there are 4 (or 7) letters to spot.

#5735 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Don't think that’s possible. There are only two switches and there are 4 (or 7) letters to spot.

Huh? Ill just make the switch gap as big as possible (so it still registers) that way
it takes a hard direct hit to activate it and not a random bounce or ricochet of something ...

#5736 5 years ago

Anyone know if the leaf stacks are wired in parallel or series or are they individual switch inputs?

#5737 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Huh? Ill just make the switch gap as big as possible (so it still registers) that way
it takes a hard direct hit to activate it and not a random bounce or ricochet of something ...

So on the L I L Y targets you only want it to register if you hit the area by first L or the Y? I’m confused.

#5738 5 years ago

Everyone likes what they like, there’s plenty of room for variety in play style and difficulty. I do think though that the spectrums of simple to deep work best when diametrically opposed to the spectrum of easy to hard.

A simple game in rules, that’s also easy to shoot, no matter how well themed, gets old to me. It’s why I love Scared Stiff but sold it when I was getting the wizard mode twice in the same game.

I suspect Munsters has a bit more depth than people are crediting because Dwight is smart about setting up scoring possibilities. But it also looks like if you’re a “see the sights” player that it might be easy to see them all. Time will tell. Play before you buy if you’re not sure.

All this talk of Shadow, one thing that makes it great is you can approach it in many ways. It’s not a linear game, and the goals are varied and fun to shoot. It’s not easy, but you can certainly feel like you accomplished something on a semi decent ball. To me it’s well balanced in the replayability factor. That’s what counts most in the end I think, for home ownership.

#5739 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Anyone know if the leaf stacks are wired in parallel or series or are they individual switch inputs?

Someone days ago said parallel, and based on the comments in the Stern livestream on the Premium, it's probably correct. Bleh.

#5740 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

So on the L I L Y targets you only want it to register if you hit the area by first L or the Y? I’m confused.

Basically ill make the switch less sensitive... when i was watching the streams it would register even with a light hit. So if i make it less sensitive ill actually need to aim in that area for it to register a letter instead of a lucky bounce . Thus making it a little more difficult to complete .

#5741 5 years ago

Man the rumbling about rules or strategy.

I went back and watched
the premium game with Dwight this game is stupid fun and ridiculous

Also the screen where it’s keeping track of your progress way better than Star Wars in my opinion.

Holy cow what a fun looking game if you like the theme

#5742 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Still the price is WAY too high

Would people prefer to have a couple thousand dollars off the price and have it made in China or keep the made in the USA sticker on it and have prices where they are now.

#5743 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Would people prefer to have a couple thousand dollars off the price and have it made in China or keep the made in the USA sticker on it and have prices where they are now.

News flash - lots of the components in Stern pins are made in China already. Only the big stuff (cab, playfield, etc) is made in the USA (though I'm also not 100% sure the playfield blanks aren't imported from other countries). The machines are basically assembled in the USA from a mix of US/Chinese parts.

#5744 5 years ago

The question remains the same do you want it assembled in the USA and the jobs that go with it or have the savings from it being assembled and made in China .

#5745 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

The question remains the same do you want it assembled in the USA and the jobs that go with it or have the savings from it being assembled and made in China .

Most of the cost savings of having the majority of parts made in China are already baked in. Moving the actual assembly to China would not save enough to warrant the change, and may introduce enough channel issues that it could actually be worse. The extreme price increases of the last 10 years and the cheapening of materials to achieve substantial cost reduction by Stern are about their profit margin inflation, and little else.

#5746 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Most of the cost savings of having the majority of parts made in China are already baked in. Moving the actual assembly to China would not save enough to warrant the change, and may introduce enough channel issues that it could actually be worse. The extreme price increases of the last 10 years and the cheapening of materials to achieve substantial cost reduction by Stern are about their profit margin inflation, and little else.

I thought it was a pretty simple question I don't know how I can dumb it down anymore .

#5747 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I thought it was a pretty simple question I don't know how I can dumb it down anymore .

Your question is pretty reductive, that's why.

If you want an equally reductive answer - why bother buying the pins at all? Just donate the money directly to the American workers and cut out the middle man completely? Problem solved!

The guy answered your question well already. The cost increases and build quality/feature decreases are nothing to do with paying American workers and everything about profit margins.

#5748 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

You have to consider the possibility that it was already too dumb and needs to be smartened up to match reality.

#5749 5 years ago
Quoted from Durzel:

Your question is pretty reductive, that's why.
If you want an equally reductive answer - why bother buying the pins at all? Just donate the money directly to the American workers and cut out the middle man completely? Problem solved!
The guy answered your question well already. The cost increases and build quality/feature decreases are nothing to do with paying American workers and everything about profit margins.

I thought it was obvious but it's a hypothetical question . If you could save a couple thousand bucks by having it made in China would you take that over being made the USA

#5750 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I thought it was obvious but it's a hypothetical question . If you could save a couple thousand bucks by having it made in China would you take that over being made the USA

Well if we're buying into that completely unrealistic fantasy (at least where Stern is concerned), why not ask if people would like a free Stern pinball machine if it were made in China. Same amount of fantasy in both questions.

Where Stern machines are assembled (USA) has very, VERY little to do with the past 10 years of substantial price increases and simultaneous parts quality reduction to save manufacturing costs and fatten margins.

Note: This doesn't mean I haven't recommended a Munsters for the route I help with - they're bringing in a Pro and a Premium, but let's be real about the price increases and where that money is going.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

6,489 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 11.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 115 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/115 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.