(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 113 of 164.
#5601 5 years ago

I played both the Pro and the Premium at EAG this week. For context, I was looking forward to this game - being 32 the TV show was a bit before my time so I don’t have any particular affinity to the theme, but I think that fun/campy horror works well with pinball so I was optimistic.

Unfortunately, I was totally underwhelmed and my first impression is that this is quite easily the weakest Stern in recent memory. I’m not a particularly great player and I had Munster Madness lit by the end of the first ball on my very first game - I started it immediately on ball two and then was left wondering what to do when it was over. I didn’t find the ‘journey’ to get to the mode particularly exciting or rewarding, so just doing it over again with more shots required didn’t really appeal. Felt like I saw most of what the game had to offer after 10 minutes, and didn’t find any of the modes particularly fun or inspiring. The layout isn’t particularly novel or satisfying to shoot apart from the ramps which are pretty great - very satisfying to hit and I love the 180 degree flip on the right ramp, which I hope we see again on another game in the future.

The Premium is a good looking machine even if the B&W doesn’t look quite as striking in person as it does in the promo pics. I do like the colour GI effects with the B&W art. The lower playfield just isn’t fun to play and from my perspective actively takes away from the game, but then again I felt the same about Stewie Pinball on Family Guy so if you were a fan of that you’ll probably enjoy it. Seeing as this is the only differentiating feature between the Pro and the Premium I would absolutely go with the Pro if the game was better, but at this point I’m just not interested in the slightest.

Ironically, I wasn’t that interested in The Beatles but enjoyed it much, much more than The Munsters. If they weren’t so expensive over here I may be tempted by one.

#5602 5 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

My dealer just told me my LE should ship first week of February

Same

#5603 5 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

I played both the Pro and the Premium at EAG this week. For context, I was looking forward to this game - being 32 the TV show was a bit before my time so I don’t have any particular affinity to the theme, but I think that fun/campy horror works well with pinball so I was optimistic.
Unfortunately, I was totally underwhelmed and my first impression is that this is quite easily the weakest Stern in recent memory. I’m not a particularly great player and I had Munster Madness lit by the end of the first ball on my very first game - I started it immediately on ball two and then was left wondering what to do when it was over. I didn’t find the ‘journey’ to get to the mode particularly exciting or rewarding, so just doing it over again with more shots required didn’t really appeal. Felt like I saw most of what the game had to offer after 10 minutes, and didn’t find any of the modes particularly fun or inspiring. The layout isn’t particularly novel or satisfying to shoot apart from the ramps which are pretty great - very satisfying to hit and I love the 180 degree flip on the right ramp, which I hope we see again on another game in the future.
The Premium is a good looking machine even if the B&W doesn’t look quite as striking in person as it does in the promo pics. I do like the colour GI effects with the B&W art. The lower playfield just isn’t fun to play and from my perspective actively takes away from the game, but then again I felt the same about Stewie Pinball on Family Guy so if you were a fan of that you’ll probably enjoy it. Seeing as this is the only differentiating feature between the Pro and the Premium I would absolutely go with the Pro if the game was better, but at this point I’m just not interested in the slightest.
Ironically, I wasn’t that interested in The Beatles but enjoyed it much, much more than The Munsters. If they weren’t so expensive over here I may be tempted by one.

Wonder if this will improve over time with code updates... Thanks for taking the time to share.

#5604 5 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

The Premium is a good looking machine even if the B&W doesn’t look quite as striking in person as it does in the promo pics.

Interesting. I felt just the opposite - much more striking in person.

Pretty much agree with everything else though have changed my mind from “too simple/easy/shallow” to “shallow may be ok in this case”.

#5605 5 years ago

Monotarget on Lily is a travesty, should have been 4 drops. And monotarget on Dragula just means they wanted you to score Dragula more often than 7 individual standups let you, so why not put up a four bank of standups spelling DRAG and give me something extra when I complete them in order? Has pinball reduced itself to “just hit anything” and “keep that ball alive” mentality that accuracy and sequence and order are dirty words? If they ditched the mono targets, made the lower pf full sized, and had a ruleset deeper than a puddle of vomit, maybe people would complain less and just play it?

#5606 5 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

B&W doesn’t look quite as striking in person as it does in the promo pics.

I like the theme and I think the pin looks really fun .
The premium might work well if you're colour blind or a dog , I think the artwork is so well done it would be a shame not to have the colour .
The lower Playfield isn't for me so I would definitely go the pro

#5607 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Interesting. I felt just the opposite - much more striking in person.
Pretty much agree with everything else though have changed my mind from “too simple/easy/shallow” to “shallow may be ok in this case”.

It’s possible the the environment played a part - it was on a trade show floor so very bright which may not have done the B&W any favours. I’d like to see it in a dark room, may change my thoughts.

I don’t think every game has to be incredibly deep, but I just don’t think that what is there is much fun. There’s nothing really special or unique in the game. It just felt too familiar and uninspired. I wanted to like it but can’t imagine it not getting old very quickly.

Unfortunately I’m not alone in my thoughts here - I didn’t really hear any positive comments about it from those playing, and on the UK pinball forum most people who played it at EAG have shared similar thoughts. The only game I enjoyed less at the show was Thunderbirds.

#5608 5 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

The only game I enjoyed less at the show was Thunderbirds

Ouch! Now that one had to hit a nerve or two...

Waiting on TPF before I get to shoot one... but that IS a bold statement.

#5609 5 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe: I’d like to see it in a dark room

I think darker the room the more it would tell you it needs colour , nothing against stern for trying something new , I do think it would be good if they gave you the option on the premium to choose between b&w and colour

#5610 5 years ago

Over time, it will be more and more clear, just how good Iron Maiden is.

I really hope a better game comes out in next year or two.

Maybe Keith's next game?

Munsters is aiming for a slightly different target audience and that makes sense.

#5611 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Ouch! Now that one had to hit a nerve or two...
Waiting on TPF before I get to shoot one... but that IS a bold statement.

I mean it’s clearly in a different league to Thunderbirds. I played that out or morbid curiosity and was actively disappointed when I got an extra ball. The Munsters was good enough to play a few games at least but it didn’t draw me back. I just meant I enjoyed literally every other game at the show apart from Thunderbirds more than The Munsters - when you compare what you get with the LE compared to JJP POTC at around the same price it’s just crazy.

#5612 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Are there any games that have ever been released that a stand up target actually felt like a satisfying shot?

Whitewater Extra Ball

#5613 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Whitewater Extra Ball

AKA the "Collect Bonus" shot

Also Taxi "Carry Passengers"

#5614 5 years ago
Quoted from jeffgoldstein2:

Are there any games that have ever been released that a stand up target actually felt like a satisfying shot?

Like others have said, TWD. The implementation of drop targets in that is pretty close to perfect. Making a well-timed shot to light the food/weapons/first aid you need is VERY satisfying, just as missing it and having to clear the drops and try again sucks.

#5615 5 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

So many Debbie Downer's on here assuming every decision made by Stern is purely to maximize profit with no other criteria.[quoted image]

Well, they have repeatedly cultivated that reputation over the past five or six years, so it's an easy correlation to make.

#5616 5 years ago
Quoted from JustLikeMe:

The only game I enjoyed less at the show was Thunderbirds.

Ice-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpgIce-Cold-FreezeOtto (resized).jpg
#5617 5 years ago

Modern Stern games; always trying to save money on drops

maxreslokllllldefault (resized).jpgmaxreslokllllldefault (resized).jpg
#5618 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Modern Stern games; always trying to save money on drops[quoted image]

Yeah, and World Poker Tour cost like $3500 NEW with all those drop banks. Munsters is more than twice as much money for the Premium with two giant monobars and no drops at all.

#5619 5 years ago

I don’t know TWIP’s deep dive seemed pretty satisfied with The Munsters. I agree I’d prefer drop targets but it still looks really fun. I will have 4 pins when I’m done, so I’d like a little variety in layout and features anyway. This one seems to shoot better than any I’ve seen. I’ve got a Deadpool LE also. I love that machine but no way I could say it shoots smoothly. It’s unique in its own way and I find quite challenging. I don’t see me getting bored with Deadpool for a long time. Have to see with Munsters.

#5620 5 years ago

Both Zach and Greg from SDTM said they loved it also. Episode 85.

#5621 5 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I don’t know TWIP’s deep dive seemed pretty satisfied with The Munsters. I agree I’d prefer drop targets but it still looks really fun. I will have 4 pins when I’m done, so I’d like a little variety in layout and features anyway. This one seems to shoot better than any I’ve seen. I’ve got a Deadpool LE also. I love that machine but no way I could say it shoots smoothly. It’s unique in its own way and I find quite challenging. I don’t see me getting bored with Deadpool for a long time. Have to see with Munsters.

#5622 5 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Well, Zach IS a pinball distributor now, so that kind of colors opinions on things he's now trying to sell, does it not? Hard to be completely impartial when you're the one selling, too.

#5623 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, Zach is a distributor now, so that kind of colors opinions on things he's now selling, no?

Regardless the le sold out and the first
allotment of pros and premiums are sold out at most distros. It was /is one the best sellers out of the gate for stern. Theme, art and designer are very important and why its doing well .

#5624 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, and World Poker Tour cost like $3500 NEW with all those drop banks.

Don't blame me, blame JJP

#5625 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Regardless the le sold out and the first
allotment of pros and premiums are sold out at most distros. It was /is one the best sellers out of the gate for stern. Theme, art and designer are very important and why its doing well .

We have two coming for the route I help on, so its not like this is a boycott. It's just very disappointing that a very anticipated title has some glaring cost reductions that dumb-down the game (especially on the much more expensive Prem/LE) and code that is not exciting by all accounts thus far.

#5626 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

That's you. There are a lot of younger people who didn't experience the golden age of pinball for real. The Pinball Arcade is how they discovered the classics, and is part of the recent pinball popularity uptick.

They say everything goes in cycles. Is this the next golden age of pinball?

#5627 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Don't blame me, blame JJP

It's Stern's decision, period. Yes, JJP had the effect of raising new prices across the board in pinball, but they GIVE YOU A LOT on the playfield. Stern raised the prices, and cost-reduced the crap out of the machines. Two opposite actions.

#5628 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes, JJP raised prices across the board in pinball

Not just raised, but practically doubled the prices.

My TRON LE was $5200, and at the time, THAT seemed like a lot of extra cash for some pretty lights and 4 drop targets.....

#5629 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

My TRON LE was $5200, and at the time, THAT seemed like a lot of extra cash for some pretty lights and 4 drop targets.....

Yeah but those lights sure are pretty

#5630 5 years ago
Quoted from FlippinJB:They say everything goes in cycles. Is this the next golden age of pinball?

If by gold you mean does it take a gold bar to buy one? Yeah.

#5631 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Can anyone confirm how many funs Munsters is?
If you can list the number of funs for Pro vs Premium vs LE, I’d appreciate.

Well.. it will be 1 more Fun after the 1 Fun you own

#5632 5 years ago
Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

Well.. it will be 1 more Fun after the 1 Fun you own

Just one fun for Munsters? I have cash for a new pin ready, if I buy a Ripley’s and a W20 for the same cash wouldn’t that be two funs?

#5633 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, and World Poker Tour cost like $3500 NEW with all those drop banks. Munsters is more than twice as much money for the Premium with two giant monobars and no drops at all.

So would you rather have WPT or Munsters? I have not played either but Munsters looks more fun to me. It would be nice to have loaded features like a TZ with great theme, art, and code for $3500 but that's not a reality for today. Even JJP had to cut features in POTC by going to simple spinning disk and that is $9500! I don't get how prices have shot up so much in the last 5 years or so but they have. Stern still has the cheapest nib even though it is pushing $6000.

#5634 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

So would you rather have WPT or Munsters? I have not played either but Munsters looks more fun to me. It would be nice to have loaded features like a TZ with great theme, art, and code for $3500 but that's not a reality for today. Even JJP had to cut features in POTC by going to simple spinning disk and that is $9500! I don't get how prices have shot up so much in the last 5 years or so but they have. Stern still has the cheapest nib even though it is pushing $6000.

That's not the issue. Modern Stern is continually cost-reducing games and testing how much of a stripped-down machine the market will accept as long as the license is good. If they could afford to put all those drop target banks in WPT at $3500, they could afford ONE drop target bank in a $7300-$8900 Munsters Prem/LE.

And I don't like this return to "see everything, every game" Gary Stern edict from early in the 2000s that Munsters apparently has. It's bad and makes mediocre games.

And for the record, WPT has pretty good code, just a terrible license.

#5635 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't get how prices have shot up so much in the last 5 years or so but they have.

Stern was rescued & purchased by a group of investors (some of the same guys that saved Harley Davidson )

If they see another company (JJP) selling the same product at 2x the price, they are not going to let Stern leave money on the table.

All you pinheads rush out and buy each new release, without even playing it.

Stern would be fools to not keep jacking up the price every few months; no one is pushing back.

#5636 5 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Just one fun for Munsters? I have cash for a new pin ready, if I buy a Ripley’s and a W20 for the same cash wouldn’t that be two funs?

Depends on how much room you have, 2 pins is always better than 1, I would go that way. You have 3 years to decide on a Munsters.

#5637 5 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Perhaps the game designer wanted to use the larger target because he preferred how the game played with them.
On the SWL podcast the Munsters design team said they wanted a more approachable game for less experienced players and the mono targets certainly help with that objective.
The fact that it reduced the cost slightly might just be an extra benefit and provides a larger budget to keep other features (spot under stairs, RGB lighting, Dragula car, moving Herman, etc) on the pro version.

But we are complaining regarding no Drop Targets to the Premium and LE's!
Not the Pro's!

Pro's should have the lazy arsed 2 foot long targets!
This is the point, The Pro's virtually have everything besides lower playfield.
(spot under stairs, RGB lighting, Dragula car, moving Herman, 2 foot long targets etc)

The Prems and LE's should've at least have Lily with 4 drops..

#5638 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Stern would be fools to not keep jacking up the price every few months; no one is pushing back.

This is very true Vid1900.
If only that JJP was able to produce 3 titles a year, then maybe Stern would feel the Push back!

#5639 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

The Prems and LE's should've at least have Lily with 4 drops..

Sounds like the ultimate mod. Who's gonna do it?

#5640 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Pro's should have the lazy arsed 2 foot long targets!

Umm....WRONG!!! These lowly Pro’s cost nearly six thousand dollars. They absolutely SHOULD have drop targets AND spinners just like the Premium and LE’s.

#5641 5 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I’m sorry. That segment came across as “fan boys who didn’t pay attention selling the game”. Neither had apparently played the it, but that didn’t stop them from practically drooling over every aspect of the game.

I generally like them but this was too early and over the top.

#5642 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Well something to keep in mind is that JJP’s costs are higher than Stern for many reasons, including being a smaller and newer company. And their machines “spare no expense” in many ways.

#5643 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’m sorry. That segment came across as “fan boys who didn’t pay attention selling the game”. Neither had apparently played the it, but that didn’t stop them from practically drooling over every aspect of the game.
I generally like them but this was too early and over the top.

I agree. Up to this point I really enjoyed SDTM. But if they have to hype new pins now that they also sell those same pins, they’ve lost credibility.

#5644 5 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Hey Rick appreciate the kind thoughts but that was just a first impressions based on looks, design and the explanation of the code. Neither of us have put any time on the pin. Looking forward to doing so!

Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, Zach IS a pinball distributor now, so that kind of colors opinions on things he's now trying to sell, does it not? Hard to be completely impartial when you're the one selling, too.

I will assure you nothing we release will be favored because Zach is a distributor. We have had Flip N Out from almost day one as a sponsor!!!!! I will stand behind my thoughts on any pin as being honest and true.

#5645 5 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

I will assure you nothing we release will be favored because Zach is a distributor. We have had Flip N Out from almost day one as a sponsor!!!!! I will stand behind my thoughts on any pin as being honest and true.

Intentional or not, it changes things in subtle ways. Observing the goings-on in the pigpen from the outside, you may escape without mud on you, but you can't get in the pigpen without getting muddy.

#5646 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I agree. Up to this point I really enjoyed SDTM. But if they have to hype new pins now that they also sell those same pins, they’ve lost credibility.

While there’s truth to this, I’d rather be a pinball distributor than have a pinball (video) podcast. Gotta pursue a dream and earn some coin.

He can still do reviews, just tweak them to “who this game is best for” rather than grading it, IMO.

#5647 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Will there be certain obstacles to work around? Most certainly but I’m sure as hell not going to sell out my thoughts and credibility to sell a game or a product.

#5648 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

While there’s truth to this, I’d rather be a pinball distributor than have a pinball (video) podcast. Gotta pursue a dream and earn some coin.
He can still do reviews, just tweak them to “who this game is best for” rather than grading it, IMO.

Yep i agree. They are just two regular guys doing a pinball review anyways so its not like the world is going to come to an end or anything. It is no different than any two guys doing a pinball review, their opinions are nothing more than opinions like anybody elses opinions.

I enjoy the show but i never took their opinions anymore serious than most other people's opinions. Most of us here are just as involved in pinball as Zach and Greg and our opinions are just as valid and worthy of listening to as theirs. I dont see anything changing much. The show will still be fun and entertaining if they continue to do it.

#5649 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Yes, I hated it and cancelled my order. It’s just color bomb blasting & is a great example of less is more...none of the subtlety and nuance Lyman put into Met. I was gonna get MBRLE & sell my original, but after playing & hating the clown puke color show, I decided to keep my original.

I believe you can turn the color changing GI to “original style” non color GI in settings on MBR LE

#5650 5 years ago
Quoted from Hollywoodbone:

Hey Rick appreciate the kind thoughts but that was just a first impressions based on looks, design and the explanation of the code. Neither of us have put any time on the pin. Looking forward to doing so!

I truly hope that is the case. You guys are literally my go to for pinball reviews! (Hope you do AFMr soon)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
12,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 130.00
Flipper Parts
Pin Monk
Flipper parts
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 39.00
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
Machine - For Sale
Linn Creek, MO
7,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 49.99
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 113 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/113?hl=sinestro and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.