(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 164.
#5551 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Drops > one big target > stand ups

Drops> stand ups > one big target = Stern “good cost cutting measure” of the month award.

#5552 5 years ago
Quoted from cletus:

They changed “Switches score double” to “ Everything scores double” because most people don’t know what switches are. They put in mono-targets. They made level 1 on the table easy to beat every game. They turned ball-save off by default because ball-save is confusing.

That sounds suspiciously like the Gary Stern mandate circa 2004ish that everyone should be able to see all the pin features every game. Ask Keith what he thought of that. Resulted in a bunch of very forgettable, dare I say crappy, pins.

#5553 5 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Almost anyone. I always like drop targets more than stand-ups, but standup targets along the sides of the playfield I can definitely do without. Ever since I got Metallica I have always considered the single FUEL target to be an advancement and not a problem at all. I've grown tired of stand up targets getting smashed to the side and out of alignment and all beaten up. To me this is a great way to solve that problem and keep the game looking good and functioning properly even after tons of beating. The first time I heard someone complaining about the combined bank and bashing Stern for being cheap, it had not even occurred to me that this is a cost cutting change. If it is cheaper, then even better is the way I look at it. More reliable, longer lasting, cheaper and I never really liked shooting for individual targets way off to the side anyway. Win win

I totally agree. Those side targets and drop targets on games are always so frustrating and never very satisfying......to me at least.

#5554 5 years ago
Quoted from ilovegames:

I totally agree. Those side targets and drop targets on games are always so frustrating and never very satisfying......to me at least.

Disagree. Can you imagine how lame TWD would be if instead of hitting 3 separate drops for food, weapons, and first aid it was just one enormous target that you had to hit repeatedly that rotated between the 3 rewards. Or if ACDC didn't have drops and stand-ups but rather long single targets that you shot the cannon at. Those large single targets are lame and don't reward accuracy. I do think that besides that though Munsters looks great.

#5555 5 years ago
Quoted from cletus:

It’s obvious that Stern is catering to the average arcade wanderer and not the beer-league players on pinside. Borg and Dwight both mentioned multiple times that certain design decisions were made because the average person didn’t know pinball.

My thought is that this could be due to all the exposure pinball is getting right now especially from celebrities like Jeffrey Star, rock band members and even guys like Jeff Goldblum and Dr. Phil. People who have not even considered pinball before are now wondering if they are missing out on something. I'm just speculating, but to me it feels like *that* is who Stern is going after - hooking noobs into pinball in order to try to grow the hobby even more.

#5556 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Like to see some cool flipper bats like scared stiff ??

Could always throw a set of those in there....good idea!

#5557 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Lol!
MBr for the HUGE win over the original

Remakes for the win ! 100%

#5558 5 years ago
Quoted from ilovegames:

Yeah, me too. I hate having multiple things to shoot at when I play pinball.

#5559 5 years ago

My dealer just told me my LE should ship first week of February

#5560 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Hadn't noticed those huge targets.
Man, there is cost cutting and there is cost cutting!!

Not really. The right oblong target keeps the Lily mode more accessible for new players. The left target has way more inserts than there could be targets.

Rob

#5561 5 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

My dealer just told me my LE should ship first week of February

Possible but i was told that's when they go on the line so I'd expect the second week to start shipping

#5562 5 years ago
Quoted from Jackalwere:

My thought is that this could be due to all the exposure pinball is getting right now especially from celebrities like Jeffrey Star, rock band members and even guys like Jeff Goldblum and Dr. Phil. People who have not even considered pinball before are now wondering if they are missing out on something. I'm just speculating, but to me it feels like *that* is who Stern is going after - hooking noobs into pinball in order to try to grow the hobby even more.

Okay. If that's the case give the Pros the monobars and the Prem/LEs drop targets and stand up targets.

#5563 5 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

I know shit about pinball outside of the games I have owned so take it for what’s its worth but I would like to hear a review on gameplay from somebody who is already on a list to get the game
I appreciate a pro player review of gameplay for sure .
I had WD and loved it but waiting 2 years to see last man standing was intriguing in and of itself but I didn’t kill me that I didn’t get to it when I went to sell it.
I did miss having the walking Dead in the basement though
I am really looking forward to this game and would like to hear some love on gameplay
I love the shadow
Last time I played 350 mil first ball
Doesn’t take away from the game
All I need to know is ,is this thing really fun and fast,smooth,etc

I'm not on the list to buy however I have played it two consecutive days at Game Exchange. It plays smooth very similar Playfield layout as TWD. The pro cabinet art and Translate are my favorite. I'm comparing it to TWD and it just feels kind of cheap in comparison! No drop targets that's a huge negative for me so I'm out i think unless I win one in the raffle.

20190118_143329 (resized).jpg20190118_143329 (resized).jpg
#5564 5 years ago

Do any HOMEOWNERS own a pro yet? Not barcades, dealers, etc.. True homeowners.

#5565 5 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Do any HOMEOWNERS own a pro yet? Not barcades, dealers, etc.. True homeowners.

No. It will be a couple weeks.

#5566 5 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Not really. The right oblong target keeps the Lily mode more accessible for new players. The left target has way more inserts than there could be targets.
Rob

Lily would have been more interesting and difficult as standups.

Dragula would have been great as 4 drops with 3 standups found behind them.

#5567 5 years ago
Quoted from ilovegames:

You would really hate The Hobbit then

#5568 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

With all the cost cutting I’ll bet we never see Stern do something like this. Cool idea though.

#5569 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Lily would have been more interesting and difficult as standups.

I like the way you think...

#5570 5 years ago

And to think in 1951 Gottlieb's Minstrel Man had a stand up target with a drop target behind it!

In Wayne Neyens interview he said that he always put more stuff in a game, because the accountant would always try and get him to remove stuff.

Seems like, nothing changes!

If say, having one target instead of several, that could be a saving of $20 per game. If they sell 3000, that's over half a million bucks.

#5571 5 years ago

I think they’re trying to nail down the w/b classic strategy: the game should be moderately challenging and easy to learn. This game seems to be on par with TAF crossed with MB, which are two of the most popular pinball machines of all time. I commend the strategy, but the big difference is in innovation: w/b always brought something new to the table. Mun pro lacks this completely. The premium looks to be great though. Can’t wait to play it.

#5572 5 years ago

Definitely a bummer. We all love drop targets and spinners and every game should have them imo. I dont like the fuel target on MET and like someone said earlier i definitely couldn't imagine a target like this on TWD. These long all in one targets are cheap and not fun. If anything they should ar least make it so that we could buy some drops and install them ourselves and make it so they are plug and play.

#5573 5 years ago

AC/DC LE and Premium models have the TNT drops with the single detonator target behind them, so Stern has done this recently. I don't think it would have been too hard to to 4 drops with 3 targets behind them. The Dragula lettering and art on the long monotarget does look cool to me, but man... it's gonna be super easy to hit. I actually don't even think you'd have to try to hit it much at all. It seems like ricocheting balls would simply take care of it for you by chance in most cases.

#5574 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Definitely a bummer. We all love drop targets and spinners and every game should have them imo. I dont like the fuel target on MET and like someone said earlier i definitely couldn't imagine a target like this on TWD. These long all in one targets are cheap and not fun. If anything they should ar least make it so that we could buy some drops and install them ourselves and make it so they are plug and play.

Its NEARLY a big part of my decision to buy or not.....yes it could come down to that ( for me ). Love the theme, the art, the clips and PF overall. But these targets and shallow code ( at this stage ) now have me re thinking.

One shot up a ramp to get Marilyn as well?.
Surely this can be adjusted to be a LOT tougher?

#5575 5 years ago

Im with John and others....The large Target actually bothers me.
I think of the brilliance in TWD, where the drops, and the code make the game...One has to time and hit drops.
In this case, its almost impossible to miss, and code triggered by this will become mundane....It will simply happen without trying.

Most certainly a Very Good Game, but the tossup between whats fun, whats strategy, and what comes from seasoned play at home
for me, is the key.

A recent addition, POTC, is stunning and fun, but easy. I wont play it as much, but it suits my wife.
TWD, DI, are a constant challenge, and keep me coming back....Points, as a non competing player dont matter to me, but
I like a challenge, with my fun....

#5576 5 years ago

There is zero doubt that the large targets are cost cutting (both the BOM and assembly time and programming for fewer switches)
The large targets are not as fun to shoot at either.

This is just another thing that Stern has been doing to see what the community pushes back on. They started with one big target on a few games and now we get 2.

#5577 5 years ago

large target for Dragulais fine, BUT not having drops for Lily on the Premium and LE's is just disgraceful....

Shallow code for home owners and tournament players, I feel that this aweome game might ware thin fast.

Please Stern/Dwight give this game a quick rethink.

#5578 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

POTC, is stunning and fun, but easy.

Easy? You must be a really good player no one on the potc threads has ever called it easy .

#5579 5 years ago

Holy Crap we are up to page 112 without games even being shipped yet...The hype is strong on this one Batman.

The hype is strong with this one.pngThe hype is strong with this one.png
#5580 5 years ago

What is the consensus of all protection measures will we need to add to this game as far as Mylar, Cliffy's, ball drops?

#5581 5 years ago

Looks fun— I’ll find it on location — but I think I’ll keep my Shrek. I’m afraid the lower play field will feel like a been there, done that to me. Also, I watched Munsters growing up but the Addams family was the better show. I’d rather own TAF. I hope it’s gets a remake someday.

#5582 5 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

Looks fun— I’ll find it on location — but I think I’ll keep my Shrek. I’m afraid the lower play field will feel like a been there, done that to me. Also, I watched Munsters growing up but the Addams family was the better show. I’d rather own TAF. I hope it’s gets a remake someday.

I hope they make TAF as well that's one pin I wish I had back in my collection!

#5583 5 years ago

You know I think you were the first person to put SHREK into the conversation (as referring to the mini playfield). Everyone else says the mini playfield is like Family Guy 2 and they totally forgot about Shrek. I actually like Shrek better than Family Guy. Glad you are enjoying it.

Quoted from tbanthony:

#5584 5 years ago

Are there any games that have ever been released that a stand up target actually felt like a satisfying shot?

#5585 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

There is zero doubt that the large targets are cost cutting (both the BOM and assembly time and programming for fewer switches)
This is just another thing that Stern has been doing to see what the community pushes back on. They started with one big target on a few games and now we get 2.

I know it's not a way to cut costs, but how cool would it be to have a 3 target, like in SM going into Sandman, drop and then have 1 moving target that you'd need to hit. That would be a nice enhancement in my opinion.

#5586 5 years ago
Quoted from 3pinballs:

I know it's not a way to cut costs, but how cool would it be to have a 3 target, like in SM going into Sandman, drop and then have 1 moving target that you'd need to hit. That would be a nice enhancement in my opinion.

We might see another SM reskin before too long, what with Far from home coming out after Avengers Endgame next year, with sandman, hydroman and Moltonman featured along with Mysterio.

#5587 5 years ago

With enough LEs sold to prompt Stern to raise the number to 600 any gripes people have about diminishing build quality or weaker features like target banks vs individual drop targets, etc isn't being reflected in demand.

In my opinion there's no justification for the LE/Prems not having drop targets, but it won't matter or change until such time as the market decides it isn't going to tolerate it.

#5588 5 years ago

I'm not sure anyone in US can source the WCS moving target mech. It is cool! Hey Thunderbirds has one!

#5589 5 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

Easy? You must be a really good player no one on the potc threads has ever called it easy .

Sterns? 30-45 minute games, most of the time getting 90% of modes completed.
TWD, Rarely will I get a game that long, or Dialed in...
Games like LOTR, WH2O, even IM, I really like, but know I have to put an Hour aside.
WNBJM....Quick 10-15 minute games.....A quickie, and Im satisfied.
Kinda like Sex.
Especially over 55!

#5590 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Games like LOTR, WH2O, even IM, I really like, but know I have to put an Hour aside.
Kinda like Sex.
Especially over 55!

IM an hour game? Did you close the outlanes entirely? Maybe you compete with Bowen/Keith/etc.

I owned the title for years and it was brutal...lucky to have a 5-10 minute game.

#5591 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

large target for Dragula is fine, BUT not having drops for Lily on the Premium and LE's is just disgraceful....

1000 thumbs up if I could. Most obvious design flaw in the game for sure. I don’t really like (but understand) the Dragula target. But it is very easy to complete without trying and provides near zero challenge. Doesn’t help that the Dragula animation is one of the weakest in the game and yet one you see over and over.

#5592 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Doesn’t help that the Dragula animation is one of the weakest in the game and yet one you see over and over.

I'm wondering if that is a holding animation at the minute ? Code update will replace it ? I agree it really stuck out when I was playing the game, and you see it *a lot*

#5593 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

IM an hour game? Did you close the outlanes entirely? Maybe you compete with Bowen/Keith/etc.
I owned the title for years and it was brutal...lucky to have a 5-10 minute game.

Not at all....I dont play well enough, (No idea on competitive scoring techniques) but can hit the ramps and orbits over and over. Cant hit Xmen Ramps, GB Ramps, TWD as consistently...dont know.
Sure, some games I choke, but I enjoy everything about IM, and Ill keep playing. I cant do it every time, but often enough...
Last night, were 2 games, over a 1 Hour TV show.
Also helps that the games are on Blue Sliders, so nudging is easy and exaggerated, but I need those to move games constantly.

I dont enjoy the Competitive Game playing, but I guess maybe 47 years of playing helps.
When egged to play in a tournament, I can hold my own OK, though, but not as good as Keith, or other really Good players.

#5594 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

If I was on the fence those targets would be a deal breaker for sure.

#5595 5 years ago

Not sure why everyone looks for what is missing in every new Stern. Not every game is going to have the exact same ingredients and that would get boring. There is already a huge amount of complaints of fan layouts that look similar to other games. Every game has limitations due to cost. I see a lot on the pro including magnet, bash toys, spinner, pop up Spot thing, full light show, metal ramps, and more. For todays standards, that's not bad. Looks like the fancy lower playfield ate up all the premium costs. I do agree that huge, impossible to miss, targets is not appealing but think Stern is shooting for a simpler game this time. Think Monster Bash. Hopefully, the code will be perfected and not just called "finished" after a few basic updates. I think that is where Stern falls short most of the time regardless of layout, theme, art, etc. Some games get polished and go from mediocre to great. Some just get to mediocre and called done. Others seem to be completely forgotten. There doesn't seem to be any standards when it comes to code.

#5596 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

If I was on the fence those targets would be a deal breaker for sure.

Honestly, those targets aren’t a big deal. The rest of the game looks amazing. This little detail is the stinker, but it likely won’t affect the fun factor at all.

I’ll still be dropping pockets full of quarters into the Premium that my local arcade just ordered.

#5597 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I think he means Iron Maiden?

#5598 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

Not sure why everyone looks for what is missing in every new Stern.

Because they cut more and more features while raising prices?

#5599 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Zero doubt? Were you sitting in on the game design meetings at Stern?

Yes, the mono target reduces assembly time and reduces the number of switch inputs which ultimately reduce overall cost and complexity but that isn't the only reason to use them. Perhaps the game designer wanted to use the larger target because he preferred how the game played with them.

On the SWL podcast the Munsters design team said they wanted a more approachable game for less experienced players and the mono targets certainly help with that objective.

The fact that it reduced the cost slightly might just be an extra benefit and provides a larger budget to keep other features (spot under stairs, RGB lighting, Dragula car, moving Herman, etc) on the pro version.

So many Debbie Downer's on here assuming every decision made by Stern is purely to maximize profit with no other criteria.

dd.gifdd.gif
#5600 5 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Kinda like Sex.
Especially over 55!

My mistake I assumed you were talking about JJP potc .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

12,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.50
Playfield - Protection
The MOD Couple

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 112 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.