(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 164.
#5451 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Another issue I noticed today while playing the pro at Game Exchange. I was having a good game and then all of a sudden the whole machine completely blacked out? Then booted itself back up. Node board problem? I don't think I'll be buying these new Spike system games till they figure these node Boards out!

Did you get the Vacation Jackpot wizard mode perhaps?

#5452 5 years ago

Same thing has happened on my Metallica on 2 occasions so do not think it is node board. Oh and it has not done it in the last 500 plays.

#5453 5 years ago

Like to see some cool flipper bats like scared stiff ??

#5454 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Another issue I noticed today while playing the pro at Game Exchange. I was having a good game and then all of a sudden the whole machine completely blacked out? Then booted itself back up. Node board problem? I don't think I'll be buying these new Spike system games till they figure these node Boards out!

Horde reset-like?

#5455 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Could be a software bug, but likely a low power condition, ESPECIALLY if it happens when a lot of stuff is firing (flippers, coils, flashers) at once. Spike are extremely sensitive to the power dropping low. I'd check the 48v output from the power supply to make sure it's not 47.8 or even right at 48v. In a multiball or some really busy time where lots is happening it could drop just below the threshold causing a reboot.

#5456 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Same here, I think this is a way oversight from Stern not to make Lily a Drop target bank. (Lily is way way too easy as it stands) Very lazy!
I would really like them to change this before shipping, but I know that it would fall on deaf ears!

Cost reduction, plain and simple.

#5457 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

When I saw it I thought it looked exactly like a WPC low voltage reboot. It was a little startling. But it’s most likely a power issue, not related to node boards.

However that does raise a good point. My biggest concern about buying any new Stern game is the long term viability/repair ability/availability (and non-standardization) of node boards 3-5-10 years down the road. This is the first Spike 2 game I’ve had any serious interest in other than Batman. There are a number of other threads to talk about those issues, but there is an inner voice aware of that concern slightly tempering the childlike excitement and anticipation of a new game.

#5458 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Cost reduction, plain and simple.

With the way each release get's a price increase, I'm sure the premium and LE's would have more than enough credit to apply the drop target banks.

#5459 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

When I saw it I thought it looked exactly like a WPC low voltage reboot. It was a little startling.
My biggest concern about buying any new Stern game is the long term viability/repair ability/availability (and non-standardization) of node boards 3-5-10 years down the road. This is the first Spike 2 game I’ve had any serious interest in other than Batman. There are a number of other threads to talk about those issues, but there is an inner voice aware of that concern slightly tempering the childlike excitement and anticipation of a new game.

I don't like the new Spike system. Node boards are outrageously priced and I'm not rich and can't afford to replace them all the time ! I've never had a problem with my TWD Sam system!

#5460 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

With the way each release get's a price increase, I'm sure the premium and LE's would have more that enough credit to apply the drop target banks.

Well, just because the margin's there doesn't mean it's destined for you and me. The extra goes into Stern and its investor's pockets. There has been a massive amount of cost reduction in the parts and materials in Stern machines (cabinet wood, playfield wood, metal thickness, plastic thickness, electronics, etc) over the last 5 years, but prices are up, what? 15%? Literally none of that cost savings was passed through. The cheap-ass Lily and Dragula mono-target block is just another cost-reduction.

#5461 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Well, just because the margin's there doesn't mean it's destined for you and me. The extra goes into Stern and its investor's pockets. There has been a massive amount of cost reduction in the parts and materials in Stern machines (cabinet wood, playfield wood, metal thickness, plastic thickness, electronics, etc) over the last 5 years, but prices are up, what? 15%? Literally none of that cost savings was passed through. The cheap-ass Lily and Dragula mono-target block is just another cost-reduction.

Met premium and le used a single double target also but the pro used two separate ones...

#5462 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Met premium and le used a single double target also but the pro used two separate ones...

The Munsters layout is essentually a copy of AC/DC which used drop targets on the left and individual standup targets on the right in approximately the same locations. That Munsters DRAGULA monobar, especially, is ridiculous.

#5463 5 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

Same thing has happened on my Metallica on 2 occasions so do not think it is node board. Oh and it has not done it in the last 500 plays.

MET is not on Spike and should not do that, ever. Check all your power connections and if you cannot see anything loose, talk to your distro.

#5464 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The Munsters layout is essentually a copy of AC/DC which used drop targets on the left and individual standup targets on the right in approximately the same locations. That Munsters DRAGULA monobar, especially, is ridiculous.

Yea im not sure about the mono bars eaither... especially the lily side...it sld of been individual targets at minimum on the right.

#5465 5 years ago

so does it know 'where' you hit it, or is it just bash anywhere on it a number of times?

#5466 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Shame but true.

I guess some where we as collectors have to group together and stop buying NEW to send a message!

#5467 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

so does it know 'where' you hit it, or is it just bash anywhere on it a number of times?

Yes

Lame huh

#5468 5 years ago

Eh, I guess it's something different. I'd have to play it before I call it lame.

#5469 5 years ago

It a hit anywhere target unfortunately.. so essentially just 2 easy shots instead of what cld of been 4 on the right and many more on the left lol. I still like the pro ...... where else can you get a brand new game shipped to your door for little over 5k? Small complaints overall (really nitpicking lol) as the game looks fun and is fairly loaded for a pro imo.....

#5470 5 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

It a hit anywhere target unfortunately.. so essentially just 2 easy shots instead of what cld of been 4 on the right and many more on the left lol. ...... Small complaints overall (really nitpicking lol) as the game looks fun and is fairly loaded for a pro imo.....

Not Nitpicking, Yes the Pro is loaded - Nearly too loaded? (I'm thinking so)
Pro should have the long bank while Premium and LE's should have had Drops in Lily is all I'm sayin.

Lily to start is boring so to say as it stands. Need's more too it for such a lark target!
I can understand Dragula's target bank, as there would have been no room.

#5471 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Not Nitpicking, Yes the Pro is loaded - Nearly too loaded? (I'm thinking so)
Pro should have the long bank while Premium and LE's should have had Drops in Lily is all I'm sayin.
Lily to start is boring so to say as it stands. Need's more too it for such a lark target!
I can understand Dragula's target bank, as there would have been no room.

Pro has alot going on... especially when u compare it to the other models. 2 bash toys, 5 rgb inserts. magnet, dual gi, neat ramps, dragula kickout, diverter.,spinner and all the usual stuff slings, flippers, pops.
Yes the premium and le really sld of had drops and maybe all rgb inserts? Instead it just has a mini lower playfield with mini stuff.

#5472 5 years ago

best pro value for money ever

#5473 5 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

That would be GOTG. Main toy (Groot) uncompromised over Premium. Only two minor changes that affect the ball: spinners and three magnets instead of one.

#5474 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

With the way each release get's a price increase, I'm sure the premium and LE's would have more than enough credit to apply the drop target banks.

Yeah! Except you are wrong. There was no price increase on this.

#5475 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

This happened a couple of times recently with Deadpool on .97 code at my friends house.

#5476 5 years ago
Quoted from noob-a-tron:

I don't get this comment or why so many people have liked it. Not hating on Munsters but looking at mechs/toys only on MET you have a similar bash toy, scoop, the snake kick-back and drac race lane are similar but then you have the additional in-line drops.

Same story with Guardians...

The new shiny hype is definitely real!

#5477 5 years ago
Quoted from jsyjay:

I don't get this comment or why so many people have liked it. Not hating on Munsters but looking at mechs/toys only on MET you have a similar bash toy, scoop, the snake kick-back and drac race lane are similar but then you have the additional in-line drops.
Same story with Guardians...
The new shiny hype is definitely real!

I think you could make an argument for this being the best pro value ever. There are alot of good pro's but this one here has everything that the premium has including RGB GI lighting. The only thing its missing is the lower playfield and to some people that is a good thing instead of a bad thing. If its not the best pro value ever its damn close.

#5478 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think you could make an argument for this being the best pro value ever. There are alot of good pro's but this one here has everything that the premium has including RGB GI lighting. The only thing its missing is the lower playfield and to some people that is a good thing instead of a bad thing. If its not the best pro value ever its damn close.

Again there's an argument whether people would rather another toy/mech or RGB GI and which offers more "value". Personally I would rather have something which interacts with the ball rather than the light show but each to their own.

#5479 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think you could make an argument for this being the best pro value ever.

Every time a new machine comes out Who-Dey- 'It's the best game ever!' Love your enthusiasm, but I thought Iron Maiden was the best? -Or was that yesterday's news.

Is Munsters the best Pro ever-No
To me Iron Man, and Metallica blow it out of the water.

Is it the most packed pro model? No
Ghostbusters-jammed packed with toys and mechs

Munsters is average-just another Borg fan layout game-rinse and repeat.

Meh-nothing special here folks, definitely not the best pro ever

#5480 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Totally agree.

Played the Pro and the Premium yesterday at EAG Trade Show in London.

Underwhelmed to say the least. Main playfield is just a tired fan layout with little of interest. I don't know how people are saying this is loaded The lower playfield is Stewie 2.0 but oddly less fun despite having 2 balls. Those HUGE side targets are just ridiculous.

I love the artwork in general though the Premium looked less stiking in real life than in the photos I had seen.

I honestly think as it stands this is one of Sterns weaker games of the last few years. I can see people throwing some coin in on site, but for home use I'd pass.

#5481 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you may not know, but lately Stern games ship without outlane rubbers.
Changing the physical aspects of a game are a common thing to do to help them play more even and a reasonable amount of time.
For example, I will quite often look at data after a few months and make adjustments to either increase or decrease the liklihood of a left or right outlane to help balance a game.
Rubber or even post removed are common adjustments on route. There is a reason they are adjustable and removable.

Only one game had them removed - Deadpool - IMDN, Beatles and Munsters come with them fitted.

Neil.

#5482 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

When I saw it I thought it looked exactly like a WPC low voltage reboot. It was a little startling. But it’s most likely a power issue, not related to node boards.
However that does raise a good point. My biggest concern about buying any new Stern game is the long term viability/repair ability/availability (and non-standardization) of node boards 3-5-10 years down the road. This is the first Spike 2 game I’ve had any serious interest in other than Batman. There are a number of other threads to talk about those issues, but there is an inner voice aware of that concern slightly tempering the childlike excitement and anticipation of a new game.

It happened on the machine we had at EAG and I've seen it happen on a DP - I think its code (firmware) related.

#5483 5 years ago

Hadn't noticed those huge targets.

Man, there is cost cutting and there is cost cutting!!

#5484 5 years ago
Quoted from Captainhook:

Could be power issue at the location. Maybe too many pins connected to one circuit. Heard other Spike pins doing that so who knows. Never seen a SAM pin do that including the two I owned and played 1000's of times.

#5485 5 years ago

My view of Munsters (for what it's worth) after playing it quite a bit at EAG in London yesterday is that at this stage, it that it's *OK*.

The art is great, Video screen/clips great and layout OK. The ramps and shots are very good but no denying it's still a fan layout. Don't get me wrong, I like fan layouts so not grumbling, just point out the fact.

We had a pro next to a premium so played quite a few games on both to compare. My conclusion was that if I was to buy one, it would be the pro. The lower playfield is just pointless, clever, but pointless. Like to 'Stewie' playfield the balls are small and light and the flipper are tiny and weak. You spend quite a lot of time on the lower playfield so it really disrupts the flow of the game. Also, separate buttons for the lower playfield are also pointless. I know you are supposed to play upper and lower at the same time but is that really possible? Takes the skill out of the game and ends in random flipping.

The game is easy. After a couple of minutes you've pretty much lit everything. As Neil McRae has pointed out, it needs a big code revamp for the pinhead community. An option you be to have 2 different codes/rules that you select at the start to keep the casual/operator players happy and us guys that need that little bit more.

This is not a bad review as I did have a lot of fun on both. I just think Stern are producing such great games at the moment out expectations are ever higher. Games do get better, think TWD or BM66 which are now great games.

#5486 5 years ago

Pro looks fine but no idea how it works out to "the most loaded pro ."

#5487 5 years ago
Quoted from Tucks:

The game is easy. After a couple of minutes you've pretty much lit everything. As Neil McRae has pointed out, it needs a big code revamp for the pinhead community. An option you be to have 2 different codes/rules that you select at the start to keep the casual/operator players happy and us guys that need that little bit more.

I have been preaching this for years now and honestly surprised it has not been implemented yet. When you play certain video games it will prompt you at the start-the level of difficulty. Easy, Difficult, Expert. Would be great not to have to go into settings to make such adjustments. Right now I think Stern is barely able to get beta code out the door at launch-let alone multi-code levels. Still a great idea though

#5488 5 years ago

How about we say it's the least stripped down pro?

#5489 5 years ago
Quoted from Ive:

Totally agree.
Played the Pro and the Premium yesterday at EAG Trade Show in London.
Underwhelmed to say the least. Main playfield is just a tired fan layout with little of interest. I don't know how people are saying this is loaded The lower playfield is Stewie 2.0 but oddly less fun despite having 2 balls. Those HUGE side targets are just ridiculous.
I love the artwork in general though the Premium looked less stiking in real life than in the photos I had seen.
I honestly think as it stands this is one of Sterns weaker games of the last few years. I can see people throwing some coin in on site, but for home use I'd pass.

Sobering. I'm still in on a Pro...it replaces my AS Pro, so the bar isn't too high (i.e. I'm hopeful it will end up being more fun than AS, which was a big disappointment). The toy box was cool, but I didn't like the way any of the shots "felt". The Munters ramps wireforms look like they will feel great.

Looks like the artwork got everybody stoked, but the game is "meh". Too bad. Now that the bar is set low, I'm hopeful it will expect my expectations.

Thanks for the review.

#5490 5 years ago

Got to play a few games at CES and thought the game was fun. Surprised the first few opinion reviews are luke warm...

#5491 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Every time a new machine comes out Who-Dey- 'It's the best game ever!' Love your enthusiasm, but I thought Iron Maiden was the best? -Or was that yesterday's news.
Is Munsters the best Pro ever-No
To me Iron Man, and Metallica blow it out of the water.
Is it the most packed pro model? No
Ghostbusters-jammed packed with toys and mechs

You are missing the point totally. First of all i never said that this was the best pro ever, that was Noob-a-tron. He also never said it was the best pro ever, he said best pro "value" ever, and there is in fact alot of value in this pro. This is a super strong pro model that is only lacking one feature compared to the premium and thats the lower playfield, which alot of people dont like anyways.

I am assuming he meant it is the best pro value ever "compared" to other pros that dont have the same features and RGB GI lighting as their premium/LE counterparts.

As far as best game ever goes, no way in hell and i never once said that. Its definitely one of the best themes ever, for me it is anyways but there are a lot of games that are better than the munsters and IMDN is definitely one of the best Sterns ever made. I also dont say best game ever everytime a new game comes out. I said one time could GB be the best game ever but we all know thats not true and i did have a ton of praise for IMDN which it definitely deserves.

Munsters is a dream "theme" for me but like you said its a typical Birg game which is a good thing since his games are awesome but there's nothing new with Munsters. If it wasn't for how much i love the theme i could personally pass on it.

#5492 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

You are missing the point totally

Just for the record Who Dey- I really do like your enthusiasm and enjoy your post.

You just happen to be the biggest cheerleader-which is also cool

#5493 5 years ago

Not sure why everyone expects / is asking for different rules for levels 2 & 3. It would be nice but it is not needed imo. Having them generally the same makes it easy to understand and remember. MBr rules are easy (shallow). People are buying it and accepting of the rules - they are what they are.

Munsters is more difficult because you must make your 3 balls last long enough to progress through three cycles. The point is not whether this can be achieved, rather whether it happens on a regular basis and on every game. I know the answer to that is no. Along the way there are some additional objectives and strategy about which modes to tackle first, building multipliers and when to cash out super jackpots. That is a lot to be done. Add the lower playfield into the mix for some more scoring opportunities and you have a game that is as rewarding to play as the shots are satisfying to shoot. If you get that far you have done a lot and seen much along the way.

What people should be asking for is a wizard mode following the completion of three cycles that is hard to achieve and you’ll get the cherry on top. This is also similar to SS, where the tasks are easy, but completing the stiff-o-meter can take a few attempts .... and then you start over. On LOTR, the requirements to start Wizard mode are steep and the few times it can be started end soon before completing. People love that shit, but it is frustrating. The goal of the theme should be to immerse you in Munsters and if you like that world, make you want to play it and maybe buy one too.

#5494 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Agree.

MUNSTERS (resized).jpgMUNSTERS (resized).jpg
#5495 5 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This! MET, ST, and IMDN all come to mind as having more.

#5496 5 years ago

And don't get me started on the coil count!!!!

Apparently now pro value is only set on the differences betwixt pro and Prem+?
people get weirder every release.

#5497 5 years ago
Quoted from Tucks:

This is not a bad review as I did have a lot of fun on both. I just think Stern are producing such great games at the moment out expectations are ever higher. Games do get better, think TWD or BM66 which are now great games

Think Lyman Sheets

#5498 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

Just for the record Who Dey- I really do like your enthusiasm and enjoy your post.
You just happen to be the biggest cheerleader-which is also cool

Lol i just love pinball Pinmister so of course i get excited when a new game is released. To be fair though i also speak bad about games sometimes also. I dont like Deadpool and i said AS was the worst theme ever and gave Stern alot of crap over that one but it actually turned out really good and i bought one. Stern doesn't make many duds though and i tend to like almost all of them.

Im just glad i can be a cheerleader honestly because there will probably be a day that we wont have any new games to cheer about. Right now is a great time to be a pinball fan.

#5499 5 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey: because there will probably be a day that we wont have any new games to cheer about. Right now is a great time to be a pinball fan.

Yeah, when we are dead!

I don't see pinball disappearing.. ever.

#5500 5 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Yeah, when we are dead!
I don't see pinball disappearing.. ever.

Ha...you better think again because it is going to eventually i guarantee it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,489 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 110 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/110?hl=adamross and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.