(Topic ID: 217394)

The Munsters Hype (Because every evening its Halloween)

By Macca101010

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,184 posts
  • 660 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Puffdanny
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MunP (resized).jpg
5EF43185-EF71-45A0-A5FC-08EE1C4BB4D9 (resized).jpeg
DD2E6881-8D27-4037-B12E-9D9B2BAFA7B7 (resized).jpeg
Munsters Koach (resized).png
Beveryly Hillbillies (resized).jpg
20190321_153321 (resized).jpg
20190321_171753 (resized).jpg
CD7016E3-2AD0-469D-BB99-6B135AAEF04C (resized).jpeg
paddle.gif
chair.gif
96D0E61E-E5CB-4F95-8B62-27C278D209F7 (resized).png
20190318_212500 (resized).jpg
20190318_212450 (resized).jpg
20190318_212433 (resized).jpg
20190318_212429 (resized).jpg
20190318_212418 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

4 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 164.
#5301 5 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

On a memory foam topper? Are you at least gunna put a plastic sheet on it?

Well observed. Was in the middle of changing the bedsheets when I caught a glimpse of the machines, so I had to stop and admire them

#5302 5 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Wakky either trys really really hard to misdirect everyone (saying Deadpool wasn’t next, munsters wasn’t happening etc etc) is just trolling us or he’s the factory floor cleaner and doesn’t have a clue beyond that.

He does a great job as he is always wrong

#5303 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

looking at the Pro where the lower playfield should be, Uncle Grandpa ,Grass Hopper and Octopus leg just looks like a bad cut and paste Doesn't blend in well....

That’s one thing about the Pro artwork that was a bit jarring to me. Poor attention to detail.

#5304 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Just noticed this, sorry if his has popped up before.
Whats with the 2 holes in the playfield ( That I Circled in red )[quoted image]

Thats where the Proton pack EL wire was going to go but got pulled last minute....to be sold later as an add on.

0799426D-346B-4CAC-9D36-8CFA12CF4D88 (resized).jpeg0799426D-346B-4CAC-9D36-8CFA12CF4D88 (resized).jpeg
#5305 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Whats with the 2 holes in the playfield ( That I Circled in red )

All three games were prototypes, weren't they? Perhaps the holes will disappear on the production units.

Quoted from Squizz:

Actually looking at the Pro where the lower playfield should be, Uncle Grandpa ,Grass Hopper and Octopus leg just looks like a bad cut and paste Doesn't blend in well.... - Maybe I'm too fussy?

Quoted from jfh:

That’s one thing about the Pro artwork that was a bit jarring to me.

Yup. It may sound crazy, but that "cut-and-paste" line on the Pro played a large part in my ending up with an LE.

#5306 5 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

All three games were prototypes, weren't they? Perhaps the holes will disappear on the production units.

Yup. It may sound crazy, but that "cut-and-paste" line on the Pro played a large part in my ending up with an LE.

If I understand the "line" you guys are talking about correctly, I think you might be looking at it wrong. Grandpa, the tentacle, and the bug are coming out of a trap door in the floor. That "line" is the edge of the door opening.

#5307 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

If I understand the "line" you guys are talking about correctly, I think you might be looking at it wrong. Grandpa, the tentacle, and the bug are coming out of a trap door in the floor. That "line" is the edge of the door opening.

Hey, you stop with your logical posts. How are people suppose to whine about things if you keep ruining everything with facts like that.

#5308 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

I can now see what you are saying, and yes that is what it's meant to be, just looks wrong.

#5309 5 years ago
Quoted from Jediturtle:

Grandpa, the tentacle, and the bug are coming out of a trap door in the floor. That "line" is the edge of the door opening.

Quoted from Squizz:

I can now see what you are saying, and yes that is what it's meant to be, just looks wrong.

The outline around the entire family adds to the illusion that it's a dropped in image. The smoke around Grandpa and the flames around S-P-O-T kind of work together to hide the trap door. I think it's the absolute straightness of that line, from tentacle to potion, that doesn't work for me. If the floorboards were a little more uneven, rougher, and the opening looked more three-dimensional. But, oh well, I'm just going to have to suffer with my LE! LOL!

Speaking of S-P-O-T, do the letters light up anywhere on the Premium and the LE?

#5310 5 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

The outline around the entire family adds to the illusion that it's a dropped in image. The smoke around Grandpa and the flames around S-P-O-T kind of work together to hide the trap door. I think it's the absolute straightness of that line, from tentacle to potion, that doesn't work for me. If the floorboards were a little more uneven, rougher, and the opening looked more three-dimensional. But, oh well, I'm just going to have to suffer with my LE! LOL!
Speaking of S-P-O-T, do the letters light up anywhere on the Premium and the LE?

Spot lights up on the signs above the ramps on Premium and LE to show that the shot is lit, I'm not 100%, but it looks like there is a can of food with lights on all three models for SPOT as well.

#5311 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

I’d prefer to go back to the days of one version of the game. Either you were in or out. No multiple versions of art, hardware, rules or pricing tiers. Game has a problem: one fix to concentrate on.

It's literally the reason Stern can stay in business. Instant sales at an inflated price up front from wealthy pin maniacs who've never played it. You cannot get those sales without an LE concept. Without LE, people can just wait. When people wait, nothing is on the line. If nothing's on the line, you're wasting money. Those first sales are out of the way & most likely cover all production costs...so all Pro and Prem sales after that are pure profit. If the game is a bomb and post-LE sales aren't great - they're onto the next game & still selling the other games that are in production. Love it or hate it, it's precisely why we still have Stern Pinball.

#5312 5 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

Whats with the 2 holes in the playfield ( That I Circled in red )[quoted image]

For the answer look at your GOTG playfield!

#5313 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's literally the reason Stern can stay in business. Instant sales at an inflated price up front from wealthy pin maniacs who've never played it. You cannot get those sales without an LE concept. Without LE, people can just wait. When people wait, nothing is on the line. If nothing's on the line, you're wasting money. Those first sales are out of the way & most likely cover all production costs...so all Pro and Prem sales after that are pure profit. If the game is a bomb and post-LE sales aren't great - they're onto the next game & still selling the other games that are in production. Love it or hate it, it's precisely why we still have Stern Pinball.

That worked for GOTG!

#5314 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sorry Greg, I don't buy that without LE's, we wouldn't have Stern pinball. I'm sure it helps the bottom line, but the idea that we'd all be waiting on the sidelines isn't my experience. I've bought plenty of Premiums out of the gate. If Stern front-loaded Premiums, I don't think the initial burst of sales would suffer dramatically. Sure, the margins are lower, but there is still plenty of profit in a Premium.

#5315 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I like this but I don't know if $415k from 500 LE sales would fully cover production costs of a game. Not to mention materials, overhead and licensing...

#5316 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It does make sense. One version would probably be something between a pro and premium and priced like a premium. You would no longer have the option to get a solid pro at cheapest nib price. You would no longer have the full features of premium/LE. If there is such a demand for LE's, Stern should offer more of them. Each could have different art packages and perhaps more Super LE's. You could even sell alternative translites and speaker panels on the side so pro/premium buyers could customize their games.

#5317 5 years ago
Quoted from Blacksun:

I like this but I don't know if $415k from 500 LE sales would fully cover production costs of a game. Not to mention materials, overhead and licensing...

Where do you get that number from? 500 x $9000 = $4,500,000. Even if only half of that goes to Stern after BOM, distrib cut, etc....

#5318 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

If there is such a demand for LE's, Stern should offer more of them.

That defeats the point of marketing a limited product to people who don't want to miss out on getting one. The right number plus the right hype = SALES without questioning the price, quality, or even if it's a good game.

Quoted from snaroff:

Sorry Greg, I don't buy that without LE's, we wouldn't have Stern pinball. I'm sure it helps the bottom line, but the idea that we'd all be waiting on the sidelines isn't my experience. I've bought plenty of Premiums out of the gate. If Stern front-loaded Premiums, I don't think the initial burst of sales would suffer dramatically. Sure, the margins are lower, but there is still plenty of profit in a Premium.

Sure some people might buy Premiums at launch, but there's no incentive. Easy to say "I'll wait and see". The second word gets out that a game sucks or has issues or bad code, Prem/Pro sales stall....but you'll always have people who have to get the LE if the number is low enough...and those people will pay a super high price without a care.

#5319 5 years ago

What's the biggest Stern LE run? Star Trek? That was 1000 right? IIRC they sold out, but I guess that number was too big to make reasonable?

#5320 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

What's the biggest Stern LE run? Star Trek? That was 1000 right? IIRC they sold out, but I guess that number was too big to make reasonable?

799 for Star Trek.

#5321 5 years ago

I believe Star Wars is the largest LE allocation at 800.

#5322 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

799 for Star Trek.

Yup, and that was due to AC/DC LEs gaining so much value, so they figured the demand would be there for Steve Ritchie hype.

#5323 5 years ago

I wish they would call the LE the ULE (Unlimited Edition) because its just a nice blinged out machine and they should sell as many as they can. I don't see any reason to limit them, rarely does that lead to increased value. I think maybe Torn LE is the exception to that rule.

#5324 5 years ago

About to open these up.

44F2E88D-837A-439C-ACC4-A294CE13A661 (resized).jpeg44F2E88D-837A-439C-ACC4-A294CE13A661 (resized).jpeg
#5325 5 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

About to open these up.
[quoted image]

Sweet!!!

#5326 5 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

About to open these up.
[quoted image]

flair.gifflair.gif
#5327 5 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

About to open these up.
[quoted image]

Monster Premium?

Looks fun.

#5328 5 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

About to open these up.
[quoted image]

OH MY GOD!!!! HOW DID YOU GET THOSE????? OPEN THEMMMMMMMM

#5330 5 years ago

Stern makes their money off the Pro's and premiums. LE profits help the distributors more.

Yeah it sounds counterintuitive but that's how it works.

As for the number of LE's, some don't care, some do, let's just leave it at that.

#5331 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I assumed Metallica.

Makes sense, I forgot about that.

#5332 5 years ago

It’s a pro and a premium. They aren’t mine. JJ’s at GEX.

#5333 5 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

It’s a pro and a premium. They aren’t mine. JJ’s at GEX.

Are those the ones from CES? JJ was supposed to be getting those in on the floor this week.

#5334 5 years ago

JJ going to put them on the floor?

#5335 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Stern makes their money off the Pro's and premiums. LE profits help the distributors more.
Yeah it sounds counterintuitive but that's how it works.
As for the number of LE's, some don't care, some do, let's just leave it at that.

Every NIB LE I have purchased the disty has complained they don't make much off them...

#5336 5 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Are those the ones from CES? JJ was supposed to be getting those in on the floor this week.

If those are the JJ's, SnowGalvin just let me know Colorado Pinball should be streaming that Premium tonight live from Game Exchange. Hype!

http://www.twitch.tv/ColoradoPinball

#5337 5 years ago
B079F339-F98A-452B-90B3-5517D94A4FD9 (resized).jpegB079F339-F98A-452B-90B3-5517D94A4FD9 (resized).jpegD5F2EC1C-9FB4-406D-8631-79B1E0D23CAE (resized).jpegD5F2EC1C-9FB4-406D-8631-79B1E0D23CAE (resized).jpeg
#5338 5 years ago

Damn. Can’t get down there today. But I’ll be there tomorrow to decide on a Premium or a Pro!

#5339 5 years ago

I'd grow a ponytail and die my hair blue to get a Munsters Premium but DAMMIT someone beat me to it.

#5340 5 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'd grow a ponytail and die my hair blue to get a Munsters Premium but DAMMIT someone beat me to it.

LOLOLOL

#5341 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Sure some people might buy Premiums at launch, but there's no incentive. Easy to say "I'll wait and see". The second word gets out that a game sucks or has issues or bad code, Prem/Pro sales stall....but you'll always have people who have to get the LE if the number is low enough...and those people will pay a super high price without a care.

You, my friend are great at the "wait and see". Most of us aren't...and there are plenty of us

No doubt LE sales spice things up for Stern & it's distributors, but you were claiming Stern wouldn't exist without LE's.

#5342 5 years ago

Overwhelming view from EAG, epic art, lower playfield is a miss, game is way too easy, needs urgent code work, perhaps even a rethink! Great shots and fun to play but really shallow.

#5343 5 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

[quoted image][quoted image]

That premium looks stunning!

#5344 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

You, my friend are great at the "wait and see". Most of us aren't...and there are plenty of us
No doubt LE sales spice things up for Stern & it's distributors, but you were claiming Stern wouldn't exist without LE's.

Remember, in 2010 the ONLY designer was Borg and the ONLY programmer was Lonnie (with Lyman working freelance). Today they're in a bigger building with TONS of staff. Why? Constant flow of $$$$$$$$$$. The 3-tier structure with LE's that usually sell out up front is what has allowed for that. People used to WAIT & play games first. Then maybe buy if they like them. For $3500. Now they buy them for $9000 before they ever touch them. That consistent guaranteed income (then the following income from Pro/Premium sales for as long as popularity keeps them selling), then repeat with the next launch is what allows them to exist with the amount of employees they have now. Without this marketing strategy, they'd be closer to what they were like in 2010 or perhaps gone.

#5345 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Remember, in 2010 the ONLY designer was Borg and the ONLY programmer was Lonnie (with Lyman working freelance). Today they're in a bigger building with TONS of staff. Why? Constant flow of $$$$$$$$$$. The 3-tier structure with LE's that usually sell out up front is what has allowed for that. People used to WAIT & play games first. Then maybe buy if they like them. For $3500. Now they buy them for $9000 before they ever touch them. That consistent guaranteed income (then the following income from Pro/Premium sales for as long as popularity keeps them selling), then repeat with the next launch is what allows them to exist with the amount of employees they have now. Without this marketing strategy, they'd be closer to what they were like in 2010 or perhaps gone.

Uhhh not so fast.

The reason they are growing and expanding are a couple of things.

JJP came along in 2011 and raised the bar substantially and brought more people like myself back into pinball.

Stern then did a deal with venture capital guys so that they could expand and grow to meet the increasing demand of the hobby since 2011.

AND they started listening to customers and doing more with great themes, great art, excellent code and hired more people!

Growth begets growth. Go big or go home.

This is why Stern can now dominate the market. 300+ employees, great designers, artists, coders, marketers, and as important assembly line workers.

Yeah it was JJP's entry into the market AND then the venture capital guys that allowed for a huge growth cycle that has helped build Stern into what it is today.

Not some BS tiered structure of selling pins.

#5346 5 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Uhhh not so fast.
The reason they are growing and expanding are a couple of things.
JJP came along in 2011 and raised the bar substantially and brought more people like myself back into pinball.
Stern then did a deal with venture capital guys so that they could expand and grow to meet the increasing demand of the hobby since 2011.
AND they started listening to customers and doing more with great themes, great art, excellent code and hired more people!
Growth begets growth. Go big or go home.
This is why Stern can now dominate the market. 300+ employees, great designers, artists, coders, marketers, and as important assembly line workers.
Yeah it was JJP's entry into the market AND then the venture capital guys that allowed for a huge growth cycle that has helped build Stern into what it is today.
Not some BS tiered structure of selling pins.

Would have to agree with this. JJP’s hat being thrown into the arena, has been good for pinball all around. Competition always makes for a better product from other companies. It’s marketing 101 and is the real reason for people like me entering the fun. Without JJP, it would be a different world.

As much as I like Stern, they have had a habit of only doing good enough, rather than great, till JJP. Stern has hit a triple with Munsters and will be a home run if the code continues to flow and get better for more depth. At these high prices without deep code, why buy for the home, when location play for a shallow game works just fine? Paying only a few dollars for the fun of a shallow game makes sense, rather than upto $9k for a game at home you’ll get bored with.

#5347 5 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Would have to agree with this. JJP’s hat being thrown into the arena, has been good for pinball all around. Competition always makes for a better product from other companies. It’s marketing 101 and is the real reason for people like me entering the fun. Without JJP, it would be a different world.
As much as I like Stern, they have had a habit of only doing good enough, rather than great, till JJP. Stern has hit a triple with Munsters and will be a home run if the code continues to flow and get better for more depth. At these high prices without deep code, why buy for the home, when location play for a shallow game works just fine? Paying only a few dollars for the fun of a shallow game makes sense, rather than upto $9k for a game at home you’ll get bored with.

Haven’t you heard??? Stern is the world’s # 1 maker of pinballs with a lower playfield. Ta da.

#5348 5 years ago

This is why Pinball became popular again.

The Pinball Arcade, Released
February 9, 2012

#5349 5 years ago
Quoted from Waldo:

[quoted image][quoted image]

I thought production order was Pro, LE, Premium, then more Pros.

#5350 5 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Overwhelming view from EAG, epic art, lower playfield is a miss, game is way too easy, needs urgent code work, perhaps even a rethink! Great shots and fun to play but really shallow.

You're harshing my Munsters buzz man.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mount Pleasant, WI
$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

9,564 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 130.00
$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 31.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,063 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Temple, TX
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 8,184 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 164.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-is-coming/page/107?hl=fxdwg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.