Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201101_132438 (resized).jpg
Far Side suggestion box (resized).jpg
2E34B823-27C4-4ED1-9BB9-4321596969A8 (resized).png
stern monkey's (resized).jpg
649105BA-7DBE-4FCF-8629-3F6EDB2B37F6 (resized).jpeg
color (resized).png
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

Starting a forum and reaching out to Dwight to let him and Stern know we have some humble suggestions for improvements, additions, and / or corrections to the CODE. Stern is coming out with at least 1 more variation of this game (Premium Color), so I suspect / hope Stern will be willing to invest a bit more in code time.

Please keep this forum to POSITIVE, SUGGESTED code improvements (this is not that "other topic" about the code!).

When we receive a healthy number of improvements, I will email this to Stern (Dwight Sullivan [email protected]).

Thanks and keep the positive suggestions coming in.
-CPR9999

PS - I know way intend to tell Stern code writers about what is best for their games. These are truly only humble suggestions by a passionate pinball community that wants to see even more out of a great game.

color (resized).pngcolor (resized).png
#2 4 years ago

My code wishes:
- Would love to see good variation between level 1, 2 and 3 modes.
- Some sort of side modes - like eddy, marylin and Dragula. That are good for points, not just Supers. Even something like Loopin Supers from GB.
- Bring midnight madness in as one of the modes and make Midnight Madness a scream or something (or just get rid of it).
- super jackpot needs to show what your cancelling (points value) and what multiplier you’re running at.

I’d be really happy with all that. Please Dwight. This game is straight up fun and has huge potential. Layout is fantastic. Take it to the next level!!!

#3 4 years ago

Not repeating what was already stated so:

1- More calls from the original cast, thus far hardly nothing from Grandpa, Marylin and Eddie. What's the lab without Grandpa yelling something. Need more Herman & Lily too.

2- More Video scenes to integrate with game play like what was done with BM66. (70+ shows plenty of material there)

3- Wizard mode for the better skilled players after completing Munster Madness a a few times rather then just the rinse and repeat constantly.

4- On the GUI, the Super Jackpot Counter needs to be larger. Took me like 12 games before I even knew it existed lol.

5- For Eddie, something along the lines after completing him "Eddie" have Spot pop up and Eddie needs to feed him by bashing for some additional jackpots.

Some more depth and this life long dream title would be an awesome gem in any collection. I'll even offer my time and services for the video captures & audio clips if need be, been doing that on a professional level for years now.

Let's make it so....

#4 4 years ago

Both of the above posts nail it.....

This game already makes a beautiful statement and fun to play. Please bring some of the above to fruition. Machine is worth it ( and playing Midnight Madness proves it's in there) thank you!!!!

#5 4 years ago

Ok went thru the Munster's Club Thread and found a few additional suggestions from the rank and file:

1- Dragula- video mode/clips make left loop, right ramp, right loop, left ramp- video to win drag race.

2- Marilyn modes- better boyfriend clips- guys running jumping over fences etc..

3- Need to do something more with the spinner (Igor) maybe like disco multiball in dp were after so many spins you get a multiball or a 30 second 10x scoring.

#6 4 years ago

I truly hope Stern is more responsive to this thread than they have been with the Ghostbusters code thread.

#7 4 years ago

From a “I so dearly want to buy this game” potential Premium owner.

Some fantastic ideas above and mine may well be ordinary...... bear in mind I am not an owner and have played a handful of games on PRO and Premium, so unsure if below possible, but trying to contribute.

Herman Drag Race episode.
What about a mode that incorporates top and bottom playfields ( as Herman and Grandpa “work together” in the episode to compete in the drag race )
Something like 3 shots ( or variable by owner adjustments in menu ) to Herman, lights Grandpa Scoop, shoot into scoop to start lower playfield play where you have to make 2 loops downstairs in 30 seconds, after this you go back up top and have to make X number ( 3 , 4 , adjustable? ) of LOOP shots to simulate racing and then a final shot into the Dragula hole to win the drag race. You could even make this somehow a 2 ball MB mode by locking 1st top ball at Herman before lighting Grandpa scoop and then utilise 2 balls to finish the mode up top somehow.

Also - in general , make adjustments available in the menu settings so owners can select how many shots each area takes , eg if I want to set Herman MB to be 6 or 8 shots before the 1st ball locks, then make it available for me to select. Rinse repeat where possible for all other ares and shots like Maralyn in MM , make it so we can adjust it so you need more than one shot to complete her in MM

#8 4 years ago

Spot should end once you've lit its Super Jackpot - perhaps add a time bonus for completion too.

#9 4 years ago

Have the ability to skip the dragula animation, I hate how it slows the game down. Also remove the mom voice "grandpa is a great driver" call out at the same time.

#10 4 years ago

1. When playing the lower playfield (Grandpa’s Lab) it seems like you could use the upper playfield lighting to make it epic when you hit shots down there. (lightning shoots across the entire machine) It’s anticlimactic right now. SFX for the lower playfield are very muted also.
2. Dragula is kind of boring. Why not use the zap button here? You can drag race Dragula. Put a meter on screen and hit zap at the right time for the perfect race start and button smash to win the race.
3. Spot is very underused. Make a mode where he pops up briefly and you try and hit him. Big fire fx on screen.
4. There are some nice cut screen videos in the game. Need more. But the real question is how do you capture the fun side of the show in the game? Herman is a giant goofy funny guy. Assemble some short video clips of that characteristic and make a mode out of it. Hit ramps to trigger each video. Hit the final one to win the mode and get a video of Herman doing his best laugh or some other great quote.
5. Herman tries out for the Dodgers mode. Hit the left ramp for a home run. Cut to video Eddie says “Atta boy pop!” Avoid right ramp. Lily says “Oh Herman” score multiplies with each home run and decreases with each right ramp.
6. Use that clip of grand pa turning out the lights in the wrestling episode for a blackout mode. Hit Spot to turn the lights back on. -red fire lighting.
7. Needs a Marilyn mode playing on the ugly Marilyn joke.

#11 4 years ago

To address the Lily uni-target issue of it being to easy/random to complete her mode. Make a setting where it is a timed combo shot from the left inlane to qualify one of her letters. There's nothing more stressful/satisfying then a timed shot in pinball. I think dragula is fine as is given the amount of letters unless it became it's own mode and then you could do the same thing but with the right inlane.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from dannylite:

To address the Lily uni-target issue of it being to easy/random to complete her mode. Make a setting where it is a timed combo shot from the left inlane to qualify one of her letters. There's nothing more stressful/satisfying then a timed shot in pinball. I think dragula is fine as is given the amount of letters unless it became it's own mode and then you could do the same thing but with the right inlane.

Great idea.

#13 4 years ago

Is there any information on the display on *which* super jackpots you have and which you need? I agree the super jackpot number should be WAY bigger, but wouldn't it make more sense to display each jackpot and which ones you still need to collect to max out the value? Sort of like the madnesses in MM; you can easily see which ones you have lit to figure out if you want to hit the saucer or avoid it until you get 4+trolls stacked up.

#14 4 years ago

These are all wonderful ideas! Thank you for compiling this list to send off.

I am not a master of what it takes to code / create a game. So, I'll just say that after setting up my Munsters: Premium and playing it A TON (and loving it so far) here are some observations:

I think for me ... there is a lack of "personality" when it comes to certain family members who are prominent in this game. Herman is the main BASH toy and yet all you hear is a simple "thud" when hit (along with a click-click of the coil). I think some canned laughter creeps out once in a while but that seems to be all.

There MUST be numerous quotes from the show of Fred Gwynne saying "stop it", "ouch", "cut it out" ... something like that to add some actual feedback (along with the "thud"). This will resonate back to the player and add some nice humor as well. Example: Rudy from Funhouse or even Jacky from Aerosmith when the ball smacks him in the head! It just adds a little interactive fun to the game where now it's lacking a little bit of soul.

And ... that's the same for Grandpa. Al Lewis is silent in the game almost exclusively. Is this a rights thing? It seems odd to me and out-of-place. There have to be clips like "Let's get to my lab" etc. etc. etc. that can be used. I LOVE the custom voice work - not to take away from that at all. But, more call-outs with key family members (maybe a few more scenes, ala Batman, as well) would really add more personality to the game.

I also LOVED the idea someone posted in another thread about getting a special Wizard Mode or a Major Award (of some kind) for stacking and then collecting ALL Super Jackpots that could possibly be stacked. It's like ... that one extra unattainable thing you can aim for with every press of the start button. A few out-of-reach minor things would really be great (such as trying to complete all the Spider Awards in Scared Stiff).

The more simplistic rules to me are a joy and a lot of fun with this title and - aside from some more differentiation between Munster Madness levels - a little more polish / a few more goodies would really finish this game off nicely.

Thanks for reading.
Chris

#15 4 years ago

well they just dropped 1.00.0 code
which means all intended features have been added.

#16 4 years ago

You should also send it to [email protected]

#17 4 years ago

**Dwight Sullivan** - This is the exact reason why this thread has been posted and why folks are a bit troubled by the code.

Let's have a look see at the new 1.0 code drop:

New:

- Added lower playfield ball popper lamp effect when the ball is popping out - .......( hmm ok )

- Added Topper lamp effects .......( Really, who gives a shit about a topper that's not out, the ball rolls on the playfield not on the backbox )

- Added Team Credits Easter egg: 1 2 3. To see it you Hold in Both flippers,
then you enter numbers with the left flipper and enter on with the right.
Finally, when you are done you have to enter one last time with the right
flipper. So 1 2 3 would be B LR LLR LLLR R ........( Oh hell this is going to sell those new color premiums alone!!! smh )

- Added Topper clock effect to Raven Multiball Jackpots ......... (once again, THERE IS NO TOPPER OUT MEANINGLESS CODING)

#18 4 years ago

Wow... that's sad update.

There are some really great suggestions in this thread.. I hope the powers at be listen to some of them!

I still think this game is fun to shoot, so the potential is always there. I really don't mind that, at the core it's a simple rule set.. but man, this game screams for more assets, sounds, video to be used.. there is a lot to material there to pick from but I just keep seeing the same stuff over and over.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from valgalder:

Wow... that's sad update.

There are some really great suggestions in this thread.. I hope the powers at be listen to some of them!

I hope so, what's more mind boggling is that Gary & George allows this to continue. On one hand you have Lyman ( a hustler, shaker and mover gets it done) and then you have Dwight ( appears to be a skater, just does enough to get by ).

I really hope the powers to be listen to the masses, for one day you'll no longer be king when the peasants leave.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

I hope so, what's more mind boggling is that Gary allows this to continue. On one hand you have Lyman ( a hustler, shaker and mover gets it done) and then you have Dwight ( appears to be a skater, just does enough to get by ).
I really hope the powers to be listen to the masses, for one day you'll no longer be king when the peasants leave.

Gary's not involved. George is though.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

well they just dropped 1.00.0 code
which means all intended features have been added.

You must mean the Easter Egg code, because shit was added.

#22 4 years ago

You must mean the Easter Egg code, because shit was added.

Supposedly when they reach code 1.0 it means all planned features have been implemented
Well at least that's what Tim Sexton (another stern coder) said in an interview

#23 4 years ago

I am pleased with this update. The issues that were totally annoying me resolved.

#24 4 years ago

Supposedly when they reach code 1.0 it means all planned features have been implemented

Now they can add features they did not originally plan...

#25 4 years ago

Right, New features now!

#26 4 years ago

Yep I heard something along the lines of that as well some time ago, but there is so much more they can do and we are really not asking for things out of reach, like add more show calls outs from the cast, add some more video clips, make the super jack meter larger, a little more substance to Eddie and Marylin, and a wizard mode after getting Munster Madness twice etc...

This is a great title with awesome potential that needs to get tapped into a little more.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Gary's not involved. George is though.

You're right thanks, fixed my post but left Gary in there as well as the machine carry's his name lol.

#28 4 years ago

Pinsiders,

Dropped a line into several people at Stern a few minutes ago. Eagerly awaiting a response.

In the meantime, if you have not done so, please Upvote the key enhancements - suggestions above (or below as more are added). I asked Stern to focus on these.

Also, I have no pull with them other than trying to make a good machine great.

Will see what comes of this.

PS - keep good suggestions coming in too.

#29 4 years ago

Are these just suggestions for enhancements? Some seem to look for a total revamp.

If the game is selling well (it is), it's hard to convince them to completely revamp the code base/strategy esp at 1.0

#31 4 years ago

Are these just suggestions for enhancements? Some seem to look for a total revamp.
If the game is selling well (it is), it's hard to convince them to completely revamp the code base/strategy esp at 1.0

I think if Stern put another dimension in the code, most people will be happy. Example, pop bumbers, loops and ramps mode or one of the many suggestions in this thread. I do not think people are asking for a complete re vamp just a bit more code to add extra challenges.

#32 4 years ago

No revamping, many of the suggestions are adders. Example I see most what DeathHimself listed are additions to code.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

I think if Stern put another dimension in the code, most people will be happy. Example, pop bumbers, loops and ramps mode or one of the many suggestions in this thread. I do not think people are asking for a complete re vamp just a bit more code to add extra challenges.

EXACTLY!!!! And what we really got added in the new 1.0 code drop, a frigging lighting effect for a ball popper. Oh and a Easter Egg....smh. I'll wait to hear a reply from them on this, if nothing is comes of it then hate to say it but I'm out.

I'll just buy a JJP Standard Edition ( because all LE's end up standard anyway lol ) Toy Story with a potential chipping playfield, but at least we know code will be there.

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

This.....100% this ^^^^^^^^^^ will get Gary and George new BMWs.

#35 4 years ago

The bones for a true winner are there. I echo Chris’s comments above.

It needs a heavy dose of Munsters personality. I know they hired voice actors but they rely on that for way too much in this pin. There is absolute audio gold in the show’s clips. Yet we get next to zero Al Lewis? Why is that? The only time you get treated to him is the super jackpot in lab. And when he starts shouting “genius! Mad genius!!” It’s exhilarating.

Bashing Herman should have him spouting off one of his many quips. All we get is a clank and thud. I mean come on!

Is it Dwight not coming up with this easy low hanging fruit additions or Jerry Thompson? Someone is seriously dropping the ball here.

It’s a Munster’s pin, give it some damn more Munsters personality.

#36 4 years ago

EXACTLY!!!! And what we really got added in the new 1.0 code drop, a frigging lighting effect for a ball popper. Oh and a Easter Egg....smh. I'll wait to hear a reply from them on this, if nothing is comes of it then hate to say it but I'm out.
I'll just buy a JJP Standard Edition ( because all LE's end up standard anyway lol ) Toy Story with a potential chipping playfield, but at least we know code will be there.

Quoted from Wotto:

This.....100% this ^^^^^^^^^^ will get Gary and George new BMWs.

If you look back through this thread that is all every person is asking for. Just a few extra features to the code. It is not much for Stern to add and I am sure that the basics are already in the code to make this possible.

Great thread, I am sure Stern is watching. Sales will do the talking a lot more than we can.

#37 4 years ago
Quoted from dannylite:

How absolutely dead simple it would be to adjust the code for that Lily idea and yet what a GREAT dimension it would add to the game.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Sethman:

The bones for a true winner are there. I echo Chris’s comments above.
It needs a heavy dose of Munsters personality. I know they hired voice actors but they rely on that for way too much in this pin. There is absolute audio gold in the show’s clips. Yet we get next to zero Al Lewis? Why is that? The only time you get treated to him is the super jackpot in lab. And when he starts shouting “genius! Mad genius!!” It’s exhilarating.
Bashing Herman should have him spouting off one of his many quips. All we get is a clank and thud. I mean come on!
Is it Dwight not coming up with this easy low hanging fruit additions or Jerry Thompson? Someone is seriously dropping the ball here.
It’s a Munster’s pin, give it some damn more Munsters personality.

The voice actors were my gripe about The Walking Dead. Great game but I couldnt take that hick voice of the fake Rick. Sounded like he was out of Dukes of Hazard.

#39 4 years ago

I watched the reveal video again where Dwight is explaining the rules/code and that was exciting and sounded well thought out. But as I watched them play I did notice that the show scene/voice call outs were light. I wonder what exactly they had rights to use. Dwight did mention in there that level 1 and level 2 have different scenes....example, level 1 Herman clips he breaks mirrors, and level 2 will be clips of things hurting Herman. Seemed there was alot of time on the screen for the living room, the lab computer graphics, and very few show clips. Then the whole drive in movie end of ball you could barely tell the coach entered as it seemed really dark (to be fair I have NOT seen this in person). Agree with many other posters that it seems light on content from the show. Perhaps that is a licensing or access to original voice actors rights issue. On the plus side having the theme song, and the coordinated background music is great.

#40 4 years ago

Just a small one, but it would be great if you could skip going into Grampas for the second time on a level when you’ve already completed him in that level.

Double flipper button or lockdown button bar skip would be good.

#41 4 years ago

After playing some Munsters last night as a good tournament player one thing that I think would make this game more enjoyable for people is to take more of a Monster Bash approach. By this I mean make all the main modes stackable like last night i would start spot so for those thirty seconds I make a boring orbit shots to keep the ball safe to get me closer to the higher scoring Munster madness. But if mode's were stackable I could play spot in a multi ball and I would play it out because it's safer. I think it would also be nice to to get all the mode's running at the same time to unlock some other special mode or making stuff worth more points similar to when you get all the muti balls running in Godzilla at the same or when you get all the modes running at the same time in Monster Bash.

#42 4 years ago

Has anyone heard back from Dwight or George at all? I have sent them an email with some friendly suggestions along with the link to this thread, crickets....

Maybe more of us should do the same and blow up their email box with these suggestions and the link to this thread.

#43 4 years ago

not to be redundant, but adding my voice to let Stern guys know, they have a chance to really make a statement with this game. Take the Stern reputation and elevate it to another level. Munsters game is a blast to play (that comment coming from a novice in the pinball arena). While great fun, it takes real money to buy one of these games, so most of us are expecting a lot. Please, keep improvements in code and game play coming. I understand time and money are finite, but Munsters has a chance to set the bar at a new high for a pin that is fun, exciting and addicting!

#44 4 years ago

Has anyone heard back from Dwight or George at all? I have sent them an email with some friendly suggestions along with the link to this thread, crickets....
Maybe more of us should do the same and blow up their email box with these suggestions and the link to this thread.

Not a word yet, emailed Dwight, George, Gary, Chas, and Bug Report.

#45 4 years ago

too easy, let Lyman do the code!

Quoted from cpr9999:

Not a word yet, emailed Dwight, George, Gary, Chas, and Bug Report.

P.s good luck with that, Nev had a reply myself. Gave up!

#46 4 years ago

Some fantastic code adders.

Anything else?

#47 4 years ago

Still waiting to hear from Sterns representatives via email or in the thread.

#48 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinwalk:

Take the Stern reputation and elevate it to another level.

Very funny!

#49 4 years ago

I obviously have no idea what goes on at Stern, but that said, I can't see how they'd win in any way by responding your emails.

Even a little "thanks for the feedback" note will immediately get posted here on Pinside. The language will get picked apart, the fact that there's any response at all will start a back and forth over what it means, should we be doing this for every game now, etc etc. There will be a thread for every game with people posting about how many different email addresses they're CCing ("emailed Dwight, George, Gary, Chas, and Bug Report").

I'm not saying don't do it, do you, not my problem what emails Stern deals with. Just saying, I can't see any upside to them actually responding. At best they'd talk internally and act or not, and probably never acknowledge any changes were in any way prompted by fan feedback.

My personal take though? Be nice about it. CCing everyone doesn't really help, and if people get at all entitled or jerk-like it's not helpful. When people want things from me and they act like a dick about it my easy response is to just toss their email into my spam folder. Dwight and the other people there are humans, try to stay kind.

#50 4 years ago

I don't understand Pinside folks. This is one of the best rulesets I've seen in years.

I'm sure if AFM and MM came out people would have a thread bitching about how lame rules are.

I think Stern should open up the source code a bit more for us and allow the community to make changes to ruleset.
Would make for a great second tier of hobbyist and crowdsourcing. Then you could make your own updates and be proactive.
Unfortunately I don't think this is an option for anyone outside of the homebrew pinball community.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mishawaka, IN
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

13,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Huntington Station, NY
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Augusta, GA
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Asheville, NC
$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-code-suggestions-for-dwight?hl=zukram and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.