Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201101_132438 (resized).jpg
Far Side suggestion box (resized).jpg
2E34B823-27C4-4ED1-9BB9-4321596969A8 (resized).png
stern monkey's (resized).jpg
649105BA-7DBE-4FCF-8629-3F6EDB2B37F6 (resized).jpeg
color (resized).png
There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I obviously have no idea what goes on at Stern, but that said, I can't see how they'd win in any way by responding your emails.
Even a little "thanks for the feedback" note will immediately get posted here on Pinside. The language will get picked apart, the fact that there's any response at all will start a back and forth over what it means, should we be doing this for every game now, etc etc. There will be a thread for every game with people posting about how many different email addresses they're CCing ("emailed Dwight, George, Gary, Chas, and Bug Report").
I'm not saying don't do it, do you, not my problem what emails Stern deals with. Just saying, I can't see any upside to them actually responding. At best they'd talk internally and act or not, and probably never acknowledge any changes were in any way prompted by fan feedback.

I've had good luck emailing Stern over the years, however all the emails were focused on very specific concerns/issues. I also tried hard to direct the email to the right person. Emailing Chas for the issues discussed in this thread is off target.

The issue of making Munsters "better" is too general. I'm sure Stern reps are thinking...if you don't like the game, don't buy it!

The 3 year in development KISS update was more actionable, since the KISS "cities" were totally unimplemented. Fortunately, this dropped ball enabled *someone* at Stern to make magic happen (the update totally transformed the game...).

Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

I think Stern should open up the source code a bit more for us and allow the community to make changes to ruleset.
Would make for a great second tier of hobbyist and crowdsourcing. Then you could make your own updates and be proactive.
Unfortunately I don't think this is an option for anyone outside of the homebrew pinball community.

This is a naive idea. For one, the licensee's don't want arbitrary, unmanaged changes to a game. In general, this would lead to an arbitrary number of versions of a game...impossible to support on many levels. The only way open source works is if folks contributing are being managed by the mothership (in this case, Stern). I was one of the open source pioneers in the mid-80's, and understand the development model.

#52 4 years ago

I don't understand Pinside folks. This is one of the best rulesets I've seen in years.

I don't know if I'd go "that" far...but, I like Munsters as is...so does everyone that comes over and plays it...can they do better? I won't bitch if they do.
Typical pinside.. "I don't like it crap" so, I will post.
You all got to realize that most people don't take the time to say they like it, as much as posting that they don't..

Disclaimer:
Do I like Stern?...no
This is my 1st and LAST stern..for a variety of reasons.
I "knew" better..but they made my game...I won't be fooled again.

#53 4 years ago

I'm sure if AFM and MM came out people would have a thread bitching about how lame rules are.

If only AFM and MM had just been remade and were available for sale new so we could test that theory.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If only AFM and MM had just been remade and were available for sale new so we could test that theory.

And as we know, the AFM/MB/MM triumvirate continue to sell well and entertain. The demand is for fun...all of them are the total package.

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

And as we know, the AFM/MB/MM triumvirate continue to sell well and entertain. The demand is for fun...all of them are the total package.

Maybe the oldies are the “total package” for a dmd era machine, but not in the LCD era. If there wasn’t so much missing from the Munsters TV series LCD: meaning series TV show material, everyone wouldn’t be so upset. That’s the issue here. Munsters doesn’t have much in the way of theme tv series integration. That’s what we’re all upset about. Game play wise it’s every bit as fun as the oldies.

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Maybe the total package for a dmd, it not in the LCD era. If they didn’t have what’s missing in Munsters LCD, meaning series TV show material, everyone would be upset. That’s the issue here. Munsters doesn’t have much in the way of theme tv series integration. That’s what we’re all upset about. Game play wise it’s every bit as fun as the oldies.

No doubt that having an LCD raises the bar for what's visible. LOTR and STTNG have intense theme integration with "dots". The choreography (i.e. integration of the sounds, callouts and "display") is outstanding for both LOTR and STTNG.

I owned Munsters briefly and it didn't have the chemistry that competes with classics like AFM/MB/MM. I grew up with Munsters and it's FUNNY (yet I didn't feel any of that humor when playing the game). AFM and MM both put many smiles on my face. MB is more like a rock and roll pin...all about the tunes, which make the game. Without the tunes, MB would be really "meh".

Listen, I respect all the folks that love Munsters. Just a title that didn't put smiles on my face and didn't challenge me. When I'm looking to own a game, I need to be entertained and/or challenged. Munsters did neither for me...no big deal.

#57 4 years ago

Would be nice to have a way to relight Mystery. (Maybe Marilyn does this eventually?) Makes a perfect Super Jackpot game hard to target since Enlarging Ray is unlikely to see.

2 weeks later
#58 4 years ago

Please stay on topic (code suggestions). There are already three other threads to discuss pros and cons. Maybe first post should be updated with all added suggestions?

My suggestion is to make Midnight Madness a mode not dependent on time of day. Otherwise a lot of people will never see it (and changing time on the machine everytime is not a solution).

Added over 5 years ago:

Would also suggest the very subtle change of making Herman require three hits to lit Herman multiball together with adding a 10 seconds ball save from starting a new ball. Made my game a lot more enjoyable.

#59 4 years ago
649105BA-7DBE-4FCF-8629-3F6EDB2B37F6 (resized).jpeg649105BA-7DBE-4FCF-8629-3F6EDB2B37F6 (resized).jpeg
#60 4 years ago

Those award tables could use some work and should go way deeper. The idea though is to incorporate Eddie and Marilyn more while also adding in a bunch of sub-modes and things to see in longer games

Relighting Mystery should be an award somewhere on there for sure. I would also be OK with Dragula relighting Mystery after a certain number of times scoring it.

In general, I don't think a ton of extra complexity is necessary to make the game better.

#61 4 years ago

Would be cool if a Wolfie mode was added. Maybe helping Eddie find Wolfie, chasing shots around the playfield. Reward could be a Wolfie multiball or a Wolfie super jackpot.

#62 4 years ago

I have been loving all these awesome suggestions, but the deafening silence makes me think....

stern monkey's (resized).jpgstern monkey's (resized).jpg
#63 4 years ago

Ghostbusters owners have been waiting 29 months for Stern to properly finish the code. Might as well come back to this thread in 2 1/2 years lol. Seriously though I hope Stern addresses some of these concerns.

2 weeks later
#64 4 years ago

I'm enjoying the game but the more I play it the more the ZAP button feels so under used. At least in Star Wars you are basically using it to take down tie fighters. Here it just makes no sense. Hit targets, hit zap button, get jackpot. Other than hitting it to stop the flashing there is very little value.

I like the idea of using it for the drag race. Most people that play the game think they have to hit the button to start the drag race so people are already hitting it for that. Even just hitting at the right time for an added dragula modifier or something would be an improvement. Anything at all lol.

Other than that I agree with everyone else. Just polish and more clips for variety.

1 month later
#65 4 years ago

Still seeing new clips in the match sequence. Why all those clips there and so little in the game? For instance the clip with grandpa going up in smoke would fit perfectly in the game. Please add more theme integration!

#66 4 years ago

Need to see some more iconic Munsters clips or images during game play, not at end of game.

1) Herman golfing... walking on the green
2) Herman pro wresting with a bag over his head. The expressions of people when he removes it.
3) Herman playing basketball
4) Lily at the fashion show
5) Herman playing baseball
6) Marilyn's dates when they meet her family
7) Herman riding a bull at the rodeo. I think Grandpa gets turned into a horse at that one, too.

The list goes on...

#67 4 years ago
2E34B823-27C4-4ED1-9BB9-4321596969A8 (resized).png2E34B823-27C4-4ED1-9BB9-4321596969A8 (resized).png
#68 4 years ago
Far Side suggestion box (resized).jpgFar Side suggestion box (resized).jpg
#69 4 years ago

Another Mystery award = 15 seconds ball save

1 month later
#70 4 years ago

Thanks for the new code. It’s a real accomplishment. So great to have you listen tour ideas and promptly react and support a new machine. Way to go Stern! yeah! Rock on!! Woo hoo. You’re the best.

.......not

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

Thanks for the new code. It’s a real accomplishment. So great to have you listen tour ideas and promptly react and support a new machine. Way to go Stern! yeah! Rock on!! Woo hoo. You’re the best.
.......not

Send them an email- a friendly reminder and give them this Web link.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

Here it just makes no sense. Hit targets, hit zap button, get jackpot. Other than hitting it to stop the flashing there is very little value.

With my LE I am pretty much in the camp that what is already here on Munsters satisfies me. But what you say about the ZAP button is something I could get behind.

The caller tells me to "you better hit that ZAP button" and while i'm busy trying to keep a ball on the play field I dutifully reach for the ZAP button and I don't know what it is doing for me. Other than Dragula, I don't know what it does. It sure does not put out a lot of points that I am aware of.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

With my LE I am pretty much in the camp that what is already here on Munsters satisfies me. But what you say about the ZAP button is something I could get behind.
The caller tells me to "you better hit that ZAP button" and while i'm busy trying to keep a ball on the play field I dutifully reach for the ZAP button and I don't know what it is doing for me. Other than Dragula, I don't know what it does. It sure does not put out a lot of points that I am aware of.

As you hit the zap button it is charging up the zap meter which is increasing the zap jackpots when you hit them. Or at least that’s my understanding of what it’s doing.

#74 4 years ago

I just don’t get how people can say that the game satisfies you. It could be so much more fun. The spirit of the show is barely captured at all. It’s very superficial. Where all the funny moments from the show?

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from ozno:

I just don’t get how people can say that the game satisfies you. It could be so much more fun. The spirit of the show is barely captured at all. It’s very superficial. Where all the funny moments from the show?

I did not buy mine to watch the show. I bought it because it is a fast playing pin. With nice artwork and music. The entire video screen could disappear and would not bother me one bit; I realize I am probably a minority.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from cottonm4:

I did not buy mine to watch the show. I bought it because it is a fast playing pin. With nice artwork and music. The entire video screen could disappear and would not bother me one bit; I realize I am probably a minority.

You’re definitely a minority. Most of us want Munsters to be given the same or similar treatment its contemporary was given, namely Batman 66. The game does play well now, but does not fully capture the 70+ episodes with fun Munster humor the way that it should. If Stern were to do that, it would become a blockbuster seller. We just need more show mode content to make a good machine, great! And not just at the end of a ball, but actually part of the game. Will really elevate this title when that is done and is the missing key ingredient.

For example:
1. Who doesn’t want to see Grandpa and Herman scheming in an actual dragula mode, with supporting scenes from the series.
2. Marilyn mode with her boyfriends afraid to knock on the door of the mansion only to find Herman, the big bash toy in front of them and they either bash him or run.
3. Many different Lilly modes, like in the kitchen preparing weird food items that are to be collected at different points on the table, so the family can sit down to dinner and eat.
4. Herman visiting Dr. Dudley Paul Lynde for a checkup with loop shots and ramp shots target hits to complete the checkup, all the while Dr. Dudley is performing the checkup on the screen.
5. Spot missing somewhere in the neighborhood and then family returning home, only to find spot had been under the stairs the whole time. He is bashed 5 times for being a bad dragon.
6. Raven has so many gags that could be done with him and in conjunction with the topper, it would be huge fun.
7. Zambo cereal ads showing at different times throughout the ball being trapped just before going into Grandpas lab basement.
8. Herman singing with Russians aboard a fishing ship, when he is discovered out at sea. With the family at home going up the stairs to get ready, then looping on the 180 ramp to get out to sea, with dragula, racing to the shipyards. All the while making loop shots to get out far enough on a boat to pick Herman up on the fishing trawler. The Russians and Herman singing is a real treat.

There are so many cool show intergrated things that could be done, it is a shame it hasn’t been done yet. But I have confidence that Stern and Dwight will do the right thing by Munsters, since it has everything else going for it. Now we just need theme integration similar to the many Batman episodes on Batman 66. Munsters will never get old in our homes if Stern puts this effort in, as they just did for GOT, GB, DP, and even more Batman 66 is still on the way. Come on Stern, give us fans what we’ve always wanted, please.

#77 4 years ago

I want more modes. After completing Munster Madness, it feels a bit empty.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

You’re definitely a minority. Most of us want Munsters to be given the same or similar treatment its contemporary was given, namely Batman 66. The game does play well now, but does not fully capture the 70+ episodes with fun Munster humor the way that it should. If Stern were to do that, it would become a blockbuster seller. We just need more show mode content to make a good machine, great! And not just at the end of a ball, but actually part of the game. Will really elevate this title when that is done and is the missing key ingredient.
For example:
1. Who doesn’t want to see Grandpa and Herman scheming in an actual dragula mode, with supporting scenes from the series.
2. Marilyn mode with her boyfriends afraid to knock on the door of the mansion only to find Herman, the big bash toy in front of them and they either bash him or run.
3. Many different Lilly modes, like in the kitchen preparing weird food items that are to be collected at different points on the table, so the family can sit down to dinner and eat.
4. Herman visiting Dr. Dudley Paul Lynde for a checkup with loop shots and ramp shots target hits to complete the checkup, all the while Dr. Dudley is performing the checkup on the screen.
5. Spot missing somewhere in the neighborhood and then family returning home, only to find spot had been under the stairs the whole time. He is bashed 5 times for being a bad dragon.
6. Raven has so many gags that could be done with him and in conjunction with the topper, it would be huge fun.
7. Zambo cereal ads showing at different times throughout the ball being trapped just before going into Grandpas lab basement.
8. Herman singing with Russians aboard a fishing ship, when he is discovered out at sea. With the family at home going up the stairs to get ready, then looping on the 180 ramp to get out to sea, with dragula, racing to the shipyards. All the while making loop shots to get out far enough on a boat to pick Herman up on the fishing trawler. The Russians and Herman singing is a real treat.
There are so many cool show intergrated things that could be done, it is a shame it hasn’t been done yet. But I have confidence that Stern and Dwight will do the right thing by Munsters, since it has everything else going for it. Now we just need theme integration similar to the many Batman episodes on Batman 66. Munsters will never get old in our homes if Stern puts this effort in, as they just did for GOT, GB, DP, and even more Batman 66 is still on the way. Come on Stern, give us fans what we’ve always wanted, please.

That’s exactly right. Stern missed the boat. This game could be so epic.

#79 4 years ago

Munsters is currently #70 on the top 100 list. It will plummet soon without major new code and modes/videos. It’s only 70 because people are trying to boost the value of their machines. This is Stern’s biggest screwup in the past few years. It’s a great looking smooth fan layout with a great mini playfield. Software is a total dud.

#80 4 years ago

If Stern would answer any emails or make a statement that they are working on Munsters code, it would be appreciated.

#81 4 years ago

Hoping Dwight revisits after ghostbusters update.

#82 4 years ago

Code will have to be updated at some point to include different test modes for topper. Hopefully sooner than later. I think it would be nice to incorporate some of the ideas listed above, as well.... still love the game, and a crowd favorite...

#83 4 years ago

It would be nice with a way to score big without having to use Kitty and Superjackpots. Some kind of alternative goal.

#84 4 years ago

Just a heads up. From Dwight on tonight's GB code update stream "theres no plans to do a code update for Munsters".

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Just a heads up. From Dwight on tonight's GB code update stream "theres no plans to do a code update for Munsters".

Hopefully that changes over time like GB.

#86 4 years ago

I just turn the game sound off and play episodes of the Munsters loudly on the stereo in the room. Great immersion, tho not all that well timed
Game play is fun, but I PRAY for additional and authentic call-outs from the actual characters... Please Dwight!

Added over 5 years ago:

UPDATE: Things are getting better every day now... Using the Pinball Browser program, I have spent many hours going thru the sound clips already included in the 1.0 code. There are TONS of them and many are applicable (no surprise) to various places in the game. I have replaced a lot of call-outs that I don't like or seem out of place (namely the Paul Lynde ones) with the authentic sound clips included. Now Grandpa says things when the mini playfield is active, and Herman says a lot of stuff along with Lily and Eddie. I'm finally starting to enjoy this thing! Since there IS so much content that isn't currently being used anywhere, I'm hopeful my efforts will simply satisfy me until the job is done professionally at Stern.

3 weeks later
#87 4 years ago

It would be cool if on start you select a character to play as (like on JJP POTC) with it's own perks.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from lasermel:

I just turn the game sound off and play episodes of the Munsters loudly on the stereo in the room. Great immersion, tho not all that well timed
Game play is fun, but I PRAY for additional and authentic call-outs from the actual characters... Please Dwight!

What is Pinball browser where do you get that?

Added 19 days ago: UPDATE: Things are getting better every day now... Using the Pinball Browser program, I have spent many hours going thru the sound clips already included in the 1.0 code. There are TONS of them and many are applicable (no surprise) to various places in the game. I have replaced a lot of call-outs that I don't like or seem out of place (namely the Paul Lynde ones) with the authentic sound clips included. Now Grandpa says things when the mini playfield is active, and Herman says a lot of stuff along with Lily and Eddie. I'm finally starting to enjoy this thing! Since there IS so much content that isn't currently being used anywhere, I'm hopeful my efforts will simply satisfy me until the job is done professionally at Stern.

3 months later
#89 4 years ago

Hear there are plenty of rumors Cousin Dwight is working on a large drop. Thought We should re open this thread to give him more ideas as some pretty knowledgeable pinheads are playing this game. Here are mine:

Clock Multiball: add a multi ball centered around the topper raven and clock usage

More creative use of the mini play field. Dwight got pretty creative with the GOT mini play field in the last drop. Looking for ideas here

More use of the raven in the topper/ snarky callouts

Add a third layer of modes in a similar fashion as Star Trek where you go 3 deep on each mode. Obviously more creative on each layer of each respective mode

Use every asset programmed in the code memory , callouts etc.

#90 4 years ago

This would be awesome and put this machine over the top.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Hopefully someone has inside scoop on details.

1 week later
#91 4 years ago

Don’t know, if it’s possible to implement, a video mode, shooting bats in the way like Space Invaders could be an idea…

1 month later
#92 4 years ago

Any possibility to see an update?

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from kia85:

Any possibility to see an update?

Yep.

#94 4 years ago

I will believe it when I actually see Stern publicly state they are doing an update.

3 weeks later
#95 4 years ago

Small update available:

LE/PREMIUM V1.03 - March 9, 2020
================================
Tweaked:
- Removed Backbox GI from lamp effects.

Moved to SYS 2.44:
Updated to nodeboard firmware v0.57.5

Added UTIL->VOL Adjustment "SELECT AUDIO FILTER".
Values are: "NONE", "HIGH/LOW SHELF", and "10 BAND EQ".
Default value is "HIGH/LOW SHELF".

"NONE": No filtering will be performed on the audio output. Useful when
using the Line Out as input for an external device.

"HIGH/LOW SHELF": A High/Low Shelf Filter is applied to the audio output.
The Bass Frequency can be set to: 125Hz, 250Hz, or Disabled.
The Treble Frequency can be set to: 4KHz, 8KHz, or Disabled.
The Gain can be set to -12dB .. +12dB
On Spike 2 the Shelf Frequency and Gain can be set independently for
the BackBox and Cabinet speakers.

"10 BAND EQ": A full 10 Band EQ is applied to the audio output.
Sliders are used to adjust the Gain of a specific range of frequencies.
The Frequencies are: 31Hz, 62Hz, 125Hz, 250Hz, 500Hz, 1KHz, 2KHz, 4KHz,
8KHz, 16KHz.
The Gain curve has a 60dB dynamic range across the -120 .. +120 Slider
settings.
On Spike2 the Gain can be set independently for the BackBox and Cabinet
speakers.

Allow the knocker sound effect to play completely when a replay is
awarded during the last ball bonus and ensure the normal game
volume is restored.

Added Standard Adjustment "MAX PLAYERS PER GAME". Values are 1 to 4,
with a default setting of 4. This can be used to limit the number
of players that can be added to a game.

6 months later
#96 3 years ago

There are some "Amazing" suggestions here.... Please keep them coming guys so we can keep them all in one place.. I really hope new code comes out at some point.
20201101_132438 (resized).jpg20201101_132438 (resized).jpg

6 months later
#97 2 years ago

Sorry, but all falling on deaf ears!

This game should have been a top 15 easy if not more.
Such a waste of time on the code, might as well have made munsters an EM machine.

#98 2 years ago

Would like to acquire a pro some day.

6 months later
#99 2 years ago

Code updated!

Maybe a “buy now” for some of the early code fest naysayers?

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from cpr9999:

Code updated!
Maybe a “buy now” for some of the early code fest naysayers?

Right lol. I’ve only played a few games with the new code n I’m loving it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

9,564 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dacula, GA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Almighty Mods

$ 22.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Machine - For Sale
Forest Hill, MD
$ 79.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 34.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 39.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

6,489 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Westminster, CA
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 85.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/munsters-code-suggestions-for-dwight/page/2?hl=guinnesstime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.