• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BK Switch matrix test (resized).png
BK Switch matrix (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

My Black Knight (system 7) just started freaking out. Whenever any one of the ball trough switches is closed, it registers its proper switch number, but also 5 other switch numbers. Each ball trough switch registers 5 different switch numbers from the other 2 switches. If I test one of the “erroneous” switch numbers individually, they register just their own switch number.

Is this a driver board issue or a bad switch or diode issue?

#2 1 year ago

Could be a diode but I would look for a ground first. Did it start right after you raised/lowered the play field? Since it is the ball trough area, something may have bent when you lifted /closed the play field. I would look for where a metal switch /connection is touching metal.

I would also look at the switch matrix in the manual at the row/column that is actuating. follow those wires and you can find the problem also

#3 1 year ago

So after further analysis, I find if ANY switch in column 3 is closed, all the switches in the corresponding row will also show as closed.

BK Switch matrix (resized).pngBK Switch matrix (resized).png
#4 1 year ago

I disconnected the switch column and row connectors from the driver board and jumped individually from column to row pin and I still get multiple switch closures in test mode on column 3, so I know the issue is somewhere in the driver board. Credit to Pinwiki procedure below.
BK Switch matrix test (resized).pngBK Switch matrix test (resized).png

#5 1 year ago

I installed my spare driver board and that fixed the problem. Now I just have to figure out what's wrong with the old driver board.

#6 1 year ago

If your CPU board has switch column issues, the following could be at fault:

IC 17,18 - 7406 chip
Or
IC 11 - 6821 PIA chip

If the PIA is socketed, it would be the easier one to try and swap but it's more than likely the column ICs 17, 18

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Tools
Pincoder Store

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/multiple-switch-closures-detected-when-single-switch-is-closed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.